Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old December 24th, 2016, 11:01 pm
Member of the Order

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

I found Assassin's Creed boring, kinda lame, and really...was there supposed to be more to the script? I mean with what I saw I think I should have found the lot of it really interesting...but it was just so uninspired.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2017, 5:45 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Moana--this was a great movie! Great songs, beautiful animation, very good voice acting, an interesting plot with some great humor and interesting twists. Moana is a well developed character, spirited, determined, courageous, flawed but quick to learn. And the end credits scene is utterly hilarious! A worthy addition to the Disney animated classics line.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old January 12th, 2017, 5:12 am
Curse Breaker

Oh I missed the end credits scene! Shoot. Great songs, good characterization, great animation and the actual legitimate threat of malevolence from a villain (which is very rare since Gaston inaugurated the "paper tiger" villain). I'll have to look for the credits scene on the DVD. And Moana herself is a great heroine. Is this maybe what Brave was trying to be and failed?

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old January 14th, 2017, 3:54 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Rogue One--excellent addition to the Star Wars universe, this is the first movie to show the hardships of normal people under the rule of the Empire, and it certainly emphasizes the "Wars" part of Star Wars. It was nice to get that "everyman" perspective into this world instead of the usual "special" people, ie. Jedi, Sith, and other high-ranking leaders. The actors did a great job, the story was engaging, and there were some nice tie-ins to the other films to connect with the rest of the universe. Overall, I liked it a lot.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old January 18th, 2017, 5:50 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Jason Bourne -- One stinker of a movie with enough holes to make one big wedge of Swiss Cheese. Only saving grace was one bit of it, the rest of it is just forgettable. Only other upside: The dialogue was better than what CC did in s10 of the X Files. 2/10

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old January 18th, 2017, 7:07 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Williams scores are all derivative.
According to popular wisdom, Williams keeps a file of classical music tagged for what it evokes. Hence, the theme from R. Strauss's "Death and Transfiguration" reworked for "Superman" love theme, etc. But, hey; where do you get good ideas if you can't steal them?

More on topic, my neighbor needed company to see "Trolls". Liked it more than I thought I would. Definitely worth the $2 at the second run cinema. The score is fun -- Timberlake must have had a blast doing this one. And there's a very workable reference to a well-known fairy tale woven into the main plot. Forget the product pushing nauseation and give it a look. I think it's a bit scary for the most tender youngsters, but generally family friendly in case you need a kid along for an excuse.

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out." Ray Bradbury
Old January 23rd, 2017, 12:55 am
Member of the Order

Spilt
M. Night Shyamalan's latest featuring very much the talents of James McAvoy who plays a dude that has severe dissociative identity disorder...essentially he has multiple personalities, none of which are all that nice since the um..core person was the victim of child abuse which was when his not-so-little problem started.
The last personality to emerge is called "the Beast." (I was reminded of Nietzsche's "Ubermensch") This bright fellow holds to the idea that anyone that isn't mentally emotionally scarred hasn't been purified...um...yeah.
Spoiler: show
One girl survives when he sees her scars and realizes that she's pretty messed up in the head...and considers her "pure." He then runs away escaping.
The biggest surprise are for those that are familiar with M. Night's movies...because you're going to look very forward to his next movie.
At the very end:
In a busy diner as patrons are watching a TV news report about this man, who the media has dubbed “The Horde” because of his multiple personalities. One woman says that the story reminds her of another case, from years ago, involving “a funny guy in a wheelchair, what was his name?”
The camera turns and we see Bruce Willis, wearing a security guard work shirt that says “Dunn,” as he utters while looking up at the TV screen, “Mr. Glass.”
That's right; This movie actually takes place in the same cinematic universe, in the same city of Philadelphia, in fact, as Shyamalan’s Unbreakable.
So the next movie will likely have both our "superhero" and this "Horde" dude.

Sonuva...

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old February 12th, 2017, 2:47 am
Member of the Order

John Wick Chapter 2
A continuation directly from the prior film. Well choreographed carnage, higher body count and ups the ante quite a bit on every category for this type of action film.

The female bodyguard fight was disappointing...though not surprising. Wick had already gone through a ton of bodies, some of which were far more formidable, I had to wonder what gimmick could she possibly have had that would have made things interesting? Turns out that she didn't have much

Old February 12th, 2017, 4:26 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhelda View Post
Rogue One--excellent addition to the Star Wars universe, this is the first movie to show the hardships of normal people under the rule of the Empire, and it certainly emphasizes the "Wars" part of Star Wars.
Very much agreed. Great acting and good story overall. It was nice to see this "in-between" moment play out. While I liked that the movie featured all new characters, I also enjoyed the cameos of the characters we are familiar with, though you could really tell when they used CGI for certain people (Tarkin, young Leia). 9/10

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old February 19th, 2017, 2:23 am
Member of the Order

The Great Wall
Beautifully designed...Fun popcorn flick

I wish that there had been more detail, and more characterization.

...and I really wish that they got down and dirty with specifics of the individual corps (Tiger Corps/yellow tabards and armor = siege engine and engineers; Crane Corps/ Blue tabards and armor exclusively female warriors that dive off the wall armed with lances; Bear Corps/ Black tabards/armor = infantry/melee; Eagle Corps/red armor/tabards = archers...all this gleaned from what I saw. There were others that I wasn't sure about)

I feel that this was a missed opportunity for something truly epic.

Old March 5th, 2017, 3:32 am
Member of the Order

Logan
If you go in expecting an X-Men movie you'll be disappointed. Hence the reason why I think it's called "Logan" and not "Wolverine."
Spoilers just in case:
We have an embittered loner (for the most part) who is slowly being poisoned by the one thing that has been almost his trademark for the entirety of his franchise's history. It's quite something hearing the Professor dropping f-bombs all over. The ultimate bad guy is the big disappointment. The "Doctor Rice" was supposed to have been ultimately responsible for wiping out mutants, but that makes only a footnote, and Rice only shows up a few moments before dying the death he probably deserved which came about almost indifferently. I marked "Pierce" as the character in the comics (Donald Pierce) who was a member of the Hellfire Club before Wolvie sliced and diced him up. He survived his encounter with most of his body getting replaced with bionics. In the movie we only see his arm...and nothing in the way of how he got it.

The movie was well-acted and well-written. This wasn't an X-Men movie per se. You won't see the shiny toys here, no group dynamic or group hugs even. We get a lot of violence and...loneliness.
Logan in his own way admits that he would not have made a good father. But we see that he might have liked to have made the effort if only to lived long enough to see her grow.

This was however a superhero movie. Self-sacrifice was always a hallmark of the X-Men. And here, we finally see it.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion