Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Old August 10th, 2007, 12:48 am
Third Year

Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Jadestone:

Those are really good points, but please try not to post in red! Mods try to post in red-when you post in red, it makes everyone think a mod is posting and people get nervous before they read.

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2007, 5:37 pm
Third Year

Brought over from another thread:

I was reminded (in Snape/Lily) that there were prefects present during the events of Snape's Worst Memory. Lupin was at the time a prefect, as expressed by Sirius. Thus, it was his duty and obligation to stop incidents of bullying or tormenting other students, like what James was doing to Snape. But he did not do it, or even stand up to suggest they shouldn't.

Was Lupin a good prefect? Lupin, a very insecure person given his 'fuzzy little problem', seems willing to do a lot to keep his friends caring about him. Do we think there's anything that Lupin would have risked his friend's censure over? And does anyone think that Lupin did stop bullying when he saw it by other people, but simply was unable to bring himself to cause the Marauders trouble?

Old August 11th, 2007, 5:43 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowheart View Post
Brought over from another thread:

I was reminded (in Snape/Lily) that there were prefects present during the events of Snape's Worst Memory. Lupin was at the time a prefect, as expressed by Sirius. Thus, it was his duty and obligation to stop incidents of bullying or tormenting other students, like what James was doing to Snape. But he did not do it, or even stand up to suggest they shouldn't.

Was Lupin a good prefect? Lupin, a very insecure person given his 'fuzzy little problem', seems willing to do a lot to keep his friends caring about him. Do we think there's anything that Lupin would have risked his friend's censure over? And does anyone think that Lupin did stop bullying when he saw it by other people, but simply was unable to bring himself to cause the Marauders trouble?
Lupin's leadership qualities are not shown as very evolved, or even existent, during his student days. I can't see him doing his prefectly duty and interfering with bullying unless he'd looked to James and Sirius first to see if it's okay. at the same time, I think he wanted to be a good person and do his duty to the school.

Old August 11th, 2007, 5:46 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Remus does seem capable of making his opinion known when he feels the need.Whether he was like this while being a prefect it's hard to say,but he must have some abilities,I can't see Dumbledore assigning him just for James and Sirius sake(unless they really were such a big problem).
Even though I find it disappointing I don't feel ill towards him for not doing anything(but then again I am biased).I wonder if James and Sirius had made fun of him when he became prefect?(Like Fred and George were to Ron).I can see him worrying about losing his closest friends and therefore staying quite when Snape was concerned.

Old August 11th, 2007, 5:47 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Was Lupin a good prefect? Lupin, a very insecure person given his 'fuzzy little problem', seems willing to do a lot to keep his friends caring about him. Do we think there's anything that Lupin would have risked his friend's censure over?
Lupin answered these questions himself in POA and OOTP. Sirius also said that while he would never interfere in whatever they were up to, that he would, on occasion, give them guilt trips over it.

Quote:
And does anyone think that Lupin did stop bullying when he saw it by other people, but simply was unable to bring himself to cause the Marauders trouble?
We will never know the answer to that. He may have been a Ron like prefect, in that Ron could perform his duties adequately enough, but could never bring himself to censure his brothers for their behaviour. At a guess I'd say that was pretty much the way that it was with Lupin/Sirius/James. Lupin had a temper and could be scary when he yelled. He also seemed adept at making others feel ashamed of their actions, without ever raising his voice. I figure he was fine when monitoring the antics of others.

'Why is every critical moment in fate or the adult or child so clearly coloured by emotion? Vygotsky

Last edited by sweets7; August 11th, 2007 at 5:51 pm.
Old August 11th, 2007, 6:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifink2much View Post
Remus does seem capable of making his opinion known when he feels the need.Whether he was like this while being a prefect it's hard to say,but he must have some abilities,I can't see Dumbledore assigning him just for James and Sirius sake(unless they really were such a big problem).
Even though I find it disappointing I don't feel ill towards him for not doing anything(but then again I am biased).I wonder if James and Sirius had made fun of him when he became prefect?(Like Fred and George were to Ron).I can see him worrying about losing his closest friends and therefore staying quite when Snape was concerned.
James and Sirius probably did make fun of him when he was made a prefect, very much like Fred and George did to Ron. In fact, I think Ron and Lupin as prefects is a good parallel. They were both unwilling to assert themselves. I adore Ron, but he was a lousy prefect, and it was Hermione as his co-prefect who got the job done and made Ron do his job. We don't see if Remus had a co-prefect, do we? I can't see him as being secure enough to stand up to people, if he thought they might dislike him in consequence.

Old August 11th, 2007, 7:20 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Lady View Post
James and Sirius probably did make fun of him when he was made a prefect, very much like Fred and George did to Ron. In fact, I think Ron and Lupin as prefects is a good parallel. They were both unwilling to assert themselves. I adore Ron, but he was a lousy prefect, and it was Hermione as his co-prefect who got the job done and made Ron do his job. We don't see if Remus had a co-prefect, do we? I can't see him as being secure enough to stand up to people, if he thought they might dislike him in consequence.
Ron was really prefect because Harry wasn't if you think about it.That being said I'm sure Dean wouldn't have been that bad either.But your right,Hermione did most of the order keeping.
I assumed Remus co-prefect was Lily,as she was later Head-girl.She seems the type who stop something happening that was wrong and would be a good choice.I'm sure Remus over all wasn't bad at being a prefect,maybe a little leaneant

I wish we had found out what Remus's patronus was.

Last edited by Ifink2much; August 11th, 2007 at 7:43 pm.
Old August 11th, 2007, 8:44 pm
Sixth Year

Fred and George never actually hanged people up side down in front of Ron's nose.

Old August 11th, 2007, 9:02 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor_Gestahl View Post
Fred and George never actually hanged people up side down in front of Ron's nose.
True, but they did recruit people to conduct rather unsavoury experiments on.

'Why is every critical moment in fate or the adult or child so clearly coloured by emotion? Vygotsky
Old August 11th, 2007, 9:12 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
That wasn't my point.Being trouble makes they found Ron being in an authoritative figure unimpressive,treacherous even.James and Sirius probably viewed prefects in the same way.

Old August 11th, 2007, 9:13 pm
Sixth Year

they thought it was ridicolous, they never actually blamed him for it. But Ron had Hermoine with him most of the time, Lupin actually hanged out with the schools troublemakers.

Old August 11th, 2007, 11:44 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Lupin as prefect is interesting to think about. By his own admission, he did little to tame James and Sirius. But I don't know if he was an ineffective prefect in other situations. The Ron analogy works, to a point - we don't know if Lupin was timid in dealing with students he didn't already know. We do know, however, that Lupin and Ron both had a hard time with people they did know. But, that's understandable - too much history makes it difficult. It's like a workplace situation where two people are longtime coworkers, then one of them gets a promotion and is in charge of the other. It can work spectacularly; or it can be utter disaster - all because there's too much history there.
One hint that Lupin wasn't quite as good as DD and MM had hoped: James became head boy, effectively "jumping" four prefects. (Was Snape Slytherin's prefect? ).

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 11th, 2007, 11:55 pm
Sixth Year

We dunno, it didn't get mentioned in his memories.

Old August 12th, 2007, 6:25 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I think it's hard in general to excersize authority over ones friends. Although I don't see Lupin as a riveting leader, I do see him quietly influencing other students and helping them out. Probably not enough leadership to be headboy, but enough to be a prefect.

Old August 12th, 2007, 12:34 pm
Fifth Year

I don't think Remus actually wanted to be a prefect.Just becasue a person is responsible doesn't mean they want a position of responsibility.He might have relinquished his position at the end of the fifth year.

Old August 12th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Quote:
they thought it was ridicolous, they never actually blamed him for it. But Ron had Hermoine with him most of the time, Lupin actually hanged out with the schools troublemakers.
Good point, Emperor_Gestahl. Remus was not effective at dealing with the biggest troublemakers in Gryffindor, were his best friends. I doubt that he did much as a prefect because he was always hanging out with those best friends, who seem to have been extremely high maintenance.

Quote:
Ron was really prefect because Harry wasn't if you think about it.That being said I'm sure Dean wouldn't have been that bad either.But your right,Hermione did most of the order keeping.
I assumed Remus co-prefect was Lily,as she was later Head-girl.She seems the type who stop something happening that was wrong and would be a good choice.
Ifink2much, your assumption of Lily being the female prefect is sadly ironic, because then, with two prefects present during SWM, neither one did anything. When Lily walked away, I doubt very much that Remus stepped up and put an end to it. SWM is the one canon example of bullying during that time, and it seemed like the bullies were running the school.

Old August 12th, 2007, 1:30 pm
Sixth Year

i think that if Lily was a prefect, Lupin or Sirius had menioned it when they were celebrating Hermoine and Ron's promotions.

Old August 12th, 2007, 1:34 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Lady View Post
Ifink2much, your assumption of Lily being the female prefect is sadly ironic, because then, with two prefects present during SWM, neither one did anything. When Lily walked away, I doubt very much that Remus stepped up and put an end to it. SWM is the one canon example of bullying during that time, and it seemed like the bullies were running the school.
That would make it sad wouldn't it?

Quote:
i think that if Lily was a prefect, Lupin or Sirius had menioned it when they were celebrating Hermoine and Ron's promotions.
The thing is prefects seem to go on to become Heads later(Remus being an exception).So I'm fairly sure Lily was the prefect.

Old August 12th, 2007, 1:46 pm
Sixth Year

I don't think so, they never made such a big point out of James getting the badge even though Remus was already prefect.

Old August 12th, 2007, 11:39 pm

A change of topic from school days. In DH, Remus appears to Harry and asks to go along with the Trio on their mission. He has a pregnant wife. What do you think of his request to Harry?