Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Welsh

Old December 8th, 2008, 4:49 pm
First Year

Re: Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post

In areas where there aren't actually that many Welsh speakers - Swansea and Cardiff come to mind, for example, it's almost inevitable.
Actually, there are more Welsh speakers in Cardiff than the rest of Wales put together. I agree though, it is the areas that have the least number of Welsh speakers are where mistakes are most likely to happen!

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2008, 6:07 pm
Second Year

Hi, though I'd interrupt for a sec to introduce myself. I'm from Swansea in Wales and though Im not a native welsh speaker, I know some basics (which they teach you at school)

Noswaith dda! (Good Evening)
Amy dw i. (I am Amy)
Dw i'n byw yn Abertawe (I live in Swansea)
Dw i'n cariad Harry Potter (I love, you get the gist lol...)

Old December 31st, 2008, 4:38 pm
Suteki da ne

I love the way that Radio Two are always talking about "popty ping"

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old January 2nd, 2009, 7:35 am
Third Year

I always thought Welsh was pretty cool, ever since I read the Charlie Bone books. But alas, sadly, I cannot speak it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesEmoWitch View Post
Dw i'n cariad Harry Potter
Agreed!

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.
Old March 27th, 2009, 2:50 pm
Suteki da ne

I messed up my welsh mock oral GCSE by saying "Dw i ddim yn meddwl" instead of "dw i ddim yn gwybod"...constantly...

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old March 27th, 2009, 6:28 pm
Fifth Year

To those familiar with Welsh and also their history: I had a great grandmother on the paternal side named Ruth Ivins (1843-1877). Some have told me this surname is Welsh. Other's say Scottish.
Can anyone elaborate for me? Is "Ivins" Welsh?
I haven't got a chance to check census records and such yet, though I am preparing to dive into genealogy soon.
Thanks!

Old March 27th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Suteki da ne

To be honest, I've never seen "Ivins" before, the closest I can think of is a sort of mutation of "Evans"

I'm half Welsh, half Scottish, and I've not seen that at either side. Sorry I can't be of more help

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old March 27th, 2009, 8:03 pm
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymmditch View Post
To those familiar with Welsh and also their history: I had a great grandmother on the paternal side named Ruth Ivins (1843-1877). Some have told me this surname is Welsh. Other's say Scottish.
Can anyone elaborate for me? Is "Ivins" Welsh?
I haven't got a chance to check census records and such yet, though I am preparing to dive into genealogy soon.
Thanks!
Well, looking at the surname distribution pages on Ancestry.com, it would seem that the name "Ivins" could have originated in either Wales or Scotland...or the West Midlands region of England... it's also possible that there are two or more unrelated Ivins families.

Old March 27th, 2009, 8:54 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
To be honest, I've never seen "Ivins" before, the closest I can think of is a sort of mutation of "Evans"

I'm half Welsh, half Scottish, and I've not seen that at either side. Sorry I can't be of more help
Ah, you are correct there, I recall reading now that it is exactly that - a variant of "Evans".

Old March 30th, 2009, 2:29 am
Third Year

I'm American and don't speak a word of Welsh, but I've been reading a very interesting mystery series set on the Welsh border. One of the characters is named Eirion and I have been wondering how that name is pronounced. His girlfriend teasingly calls him "Irene" from time to time, so I figure it must be somewhat like that. I would be very grateful if a Welsh speaker or someone familiar with the name could share how it is pronounced.

Old March 31st, 2009, 8:40 pm
Suteki da ne

I would pronounce that

A (like the letter A when you name it)
Ree
On

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old March 31st, 2009, 10:13 pm
Third Year

Thanks, Schlubalybub. Have you ever met anyone with the name Eirion? Is it a common Welsh name?

Old March 31st, 2009, 10:24 pm
Suteki da ne

I've heard of people called Eirion, but never met one. I've met someone with the female variant, Eirian

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old July 12th, 2010, 2:38 am
First Year

Oooooh! Tudalen Cymraeg... dwi'n hoffi!!! Ond mae'r tudalen yn ddistaw iawn o ni'n meddwl fy mod i wedi dod o hyd i fy nghartref o'r diwedd, ond does neb arall yma i ei rhannu hefo fi :'(

Never met anyone with the surname Ivins or a man with the first name Eirion, however I do know a few women with the female variant, Eirian, and I live up in Welsh Wales (aka Gog-Wales)

Old September 15th, 2010, 1:41 pm
Suteki da ne

Ooh, you're a gog, too? Whereabouts?

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old December 15th, 2010, 8:33 pm
First Year

Hylo, Rydw i'n byw yn Caerdydd ^.^

Old August 19th, 2011, 12:12 pm
Fifth Year

I've just been to the http://www.eisteddfod.org.uk/english/]National Eisteddfod 2011 in Wrexham... and oh, it was wonderful! All the wonderful Welsh folk music, language, solo and choir singing, clog stepdance (I'm no bit surprised anymore at the skill and accuracy of all those Riverdance etc. dancers, if events like this are any indication!), and especially the "penillion telyn" aka "Cerdd Dant" singing...

("Penillion telyn" = "harp verses", "Cerdd Dant" = literally "string music": it's a very special form of singing to the harp, with medieval roots and found only in Wales, where both singer and harpist sing/play different tunes, and start at different times but have to finish together. It creates an amazing harmony between both, both different yet fitting into and complementing each other. If you didn't know, you wouldn't be able to tell that harp and song were not written for each other. )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerdd_Dant

They also had - again - a tent "Maes D" for Welsh learners, with language taster lessons, a booklet with basic expressions needed at the Eisteddfod (everything is in Welsh, only rarely is anything bilingual with English! Perfect for total immersion), offers of Welsh courses and even online courses, like e.g. www.saysomethinginwelsh.com.

Some useful resources:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/learning/learnwelsh/ (good source of general info)

http://www.heart-of-wales.co.uk/welsh.htm (Welsh expressions with sound files for pronunciation)

http://www.visitwales.co.uk/about-wa...elsh-language/ (Welsh expressions, with a kind of English-based written pronunciation guide)

http://www.saysomethinginwelsh.com/home/ (online course)

http://www.unforgettablelanguages.com/frames_a27.html (learning Welsh words by word association)

Personally I've definitely expanded my vocabulary there, am able to order (or refuse) several kinds of foodstuffs and drink ("Un hanner peint o'seidr, os gwelych yn dda!"), and figure out what most of the Eisteddfod tents are for just by looking at the Welsh name on the sign and/or the (all-Welsh) map. I'm sooo proud of myself.

(Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire')

My Snape fanfics: Reflections (F&B), The Red Light of the Sun (F&B), The Trapdoor Trials 1, 2, 3 (in "Snape's POV 2"),
Greetings from Down Under and An Unusual Patronus ... are hereby shamelessly advertised
Old August 30th, 2011, 11:56 pm
Suteki da ne

Oh, I missed the Eisteddfod, I had to work. Shame, as I'm really close to Wrecsam at the moment. I actually adore the Welsh language, I've just never been that good at learning it. That said, I did get an A at GCSE when predicted a D so I must be better at it than I think. I can understand quite a bit, I just don't have the guts to speak it. Paid a poeni, as they say, I'll probably get better one day...

- Nobuo Uematsu

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab