Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Icelandic

Old June 13th, 2011, 5:14 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Icelandic

Well, I find learning these crazy declensins and vowel shifts part of the fun of learning Icelandic. And people are always so happy if someone gives them a go. German? Easy, that's MY native tongue.

Old June 13th, 2011, 7:43 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania View Post
Well, I find learning these crazy declensins and vowel shifts part of the fun of learning Icelandic.
I can understand that. And I wish you all luck with learning more of it.

But I'm afraid that's where we differ. I have never been much for grammar, I learn the natural way what I learn and what I learn not I leave unlearned.

Old June 14th, 2011, 9:36 am

@Alastor: Possibly. I am more of a "natural" language learner myself, but I have often realised that grammar is just as important, sometimes a word just "sounds" better. I view these vowel shifts and working out what a word actually means when put into the original form as a bit of a "mystery game" and one learner once described as a a "shade" of the word. I like that.

I actually had my Icelandic class last night. We practised some grammar, but otherwise did a lot of reading. We read a blog about the economic crisis and a text about the football game of Iceland versus Denmark. And we have been reading "Lotta" by Astrid Lindgren which was actually one of my first children's books.

Old June 15th, 2011, 5:04 am

Yup. Grammar for sure is important if one wants to learn how to speak and write without having the opportunity to take what's nowadays called 'language baths'. I don't think I would have learned how to write Finnish the way I need to without. But that language isn't even Indo-European and the only similarities with Germanic languages are borrowed words. Maybe that's partly why I already as a schoolboy developed some dislike for grammar.

By now it's all happily forgotten anyway. The grammar, not the language.

Last edited by Alastor; June 15th, 2011 at 7:02 am.
Old June 15th, 2011, 9:51 am

@Alastor: So you have now absorbed Finnish grammar like a natural learner does, I take it? That's what I find about grammar, most of the time it becomes more and more natural the more it is put into practice.

Old June 15th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Quote:
@Alastor: So you have now absorbed Finnish grammar like a natural learner does, I take it? That's what I find about grammar, most of the time it becomes more and more natural the more it is put into practice.
Something like that, yes. But I make errors every day. As I do when writing English too. As I think everyone does with 2nd or 3rd languages learned in the teens or as adult.

Old June 15th, 2011, 8:05 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Something like that, yes. But I make errors every day. As I do when writing English too. As I think everyone does with 2nd or 3rd languages learned in the teens or as adult.
And not only that, but you might (as in the case of English) find several slightly different grammatical systems going at once.

I've been curious about Icelandic since I started reading some Anglo-Saxon and other older Germanic texts--in translation of course: Back when I was studying a Middle English text to see how it related to sagas and eddas (it didn't, I concluded it was more derivative of contemporary political events), I did some reading on Icelandic... but found I am unqualified to study it without adult supervision.

Old June 16th, 2011, 9:42 am

@Alastor: Everybody makes mistakes and it is nearly impossible for a non-native speakers to get all the grammatical constructions in Icelandic correct. It is my sixth foreign language and I was 37 years old when I started learning it.

I do actually know some people who started learning a completely new language as teenagers and have really become perfectly bilingual (an English guy and a Spanish guy learning German), but I reckon they have to be the exception.

@canismajoris: You should come to London, you can study Old Norse at the UCL and that's also where they offer evening classes in Modern icelandic.

Old June 21st, 2011, 12:16 am
First Year

It's a pleasant surprise to see the thread for Icelandic, of all languages, more active than most of the others!

I've recently nurtured a certain fascination with Northern Countries, Iceland in particular, and made the resolution of learning Icelandic. I'm a complete newbie and only know a handful of words and often-used phrases, but so far I'm really enjoying it. The only thing that bothers me right now is remembering the gender of nouns, but I guess I'll get around to it, especially if you consider that it's something present in my native language... It's having to memorize something like this, though, that I'm not used to (thanks, English language, you've spoilt me!). We'll see.

I'm really looking forward to the moment when I can actually communicate in this language.

Pottermore username: UnicornPhoenix
Old June 21st, 2011, 9:46 am

@CellarDoor: I have an Italian friend here who is also learning Icelandic and she is quite good at it. Don't worry abut the nouns, you will get used to them. Unfortunately there is no straight forward rule (like in other languages) that indicates the gender of some nouns. If there is an "i" at the end, the noun is generally male or neutral, but there are also some female examples. You will get used to them.

Old June 21st, 2011, 11:45 am
First Year

Quote:
Unfortunately there is no straight forward rule (like in other languages) that indicates the gender of some nouns.
Yeah, that's the main problem. In all the languages I've studied (Latin, French..) you just follow the rule and you're done - sure, there are exceptions, but there's only a handful of them so memorising them is not very difficult.

What's more, Icelandic is probably not the easiest thing to learn by yourself, but what can you do if you can't find any kind of Icelandic classes or something like that?

Pottermore username: UnicornPhoenix
Old June 21st, 2011, 1:03 pm

@CellarDoor: I have got a proper class in London (high standard!) and there is an Icelandic Church Community and an Icelandic Society, so I have got lots of opportunities to pratise the language and I have made some nice Icelandic friends.

In smaller places it may be difficult to find classes, I know that there are soe offered in Germany, but I don't know about Italy. My Italian friend has ehard of an Icelandic lady married in Sicily and travelling to Italy I have met Icelanders visiting relatives who were married there (Venice area), so I know that there are Icelandic people in Italy, but finding them could be a bit difficult. You could try the website www.interpals.net for a language exchange.

Old July 9th, 2011, 7:17 pm
First Year

I'm not Icelandic, but I do have to say I love the language! I only know a small number of words, but someday I hope to learn the language. It's one of the most beautiful languages to listen to when sung. I also completely love that the written language hasn't changed much in the past 800 years, and that Icelandic people can read the sagas from back then.

"Loved it," said Lupin briskly. "give five signs that identify the werewolf. Excellent question.
"One. he's wearing my clothes. Two. he's sitting on my chair. Three. his name's Remus Lupin.
- the order of the pheonix chapter of Snape's worst memory. Page # 566-567. (Canadian edition)
Old July 11th, 2011, 9:55 am

@Lupin_4ever: Yes, that's amazing. I started reading some of the old sagas when I had just been learning Modern icelandic for about two years and I was amazed how much I could understand! Are there any classes offered where you are? I know a guy from Finland in London and he had to learn Swedish as a foreign language at school and he is always amazed when I tell him some words in Icelandic, he can tell their meaning by his knowledge of Swedish from time to time and sometimes the word is totally different!

Old August 26th, 2011, 10:37 pm
First Year

g tala ekki miki slensku en g elska slensku!

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:02 am

@Rhovanion: Gaman a hitta ig! Hvar ertu a lra slensku?

Old August 31st, 2011, 9:34 pm
First Year

Quote:
@Rhovanion: Gaman a hitta ig! Hvar ertu a lra slensku?
Gaman a hitta ig lka! g var a vinna slandi fimm mnui ri 2007. Og ?

Old September 1st, 2011, 9:31 am

g b Bretlandi og g hef aldrei bi slandi, g er bin a lra slensku hrna fjgur r, en bara einu sinni kvld. Og g ekki margt flk fr slandi London og ess vegna get g ft mig miki. g er mlfringur. A, g hef fari til slands, en bara fri.

Last edited by Titania; September 1st, 2011 at 11:22 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab