Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Hebrew

Old February 7th, 2011, 11:22 pm
Second Year

Re: Hebrew

אני גרה בארץ. אתם יכולים לכוון את המקלדות שלכם לכתוב בעברית. לדעתי זה יותר טוב מאשר כתיבה באויות לועזיות.
I really hate transliterating Hebrew into English letters since there is no standard for representing certain sounds that are not written in standard English. All modern windows programs can be set to recognize and type in Hebrew as well as a number of other non Latinate languages. Can't we agree to type this thread in Hebrew characters?

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:52 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't know how to write in Hebrew characters on my computer. If you told me how, I would much prefer it to transliterating.

Old March 16th, 2011, 12:07 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I don't know how to write in Hebrew characters on my computer. If you told me how, I would much prefer it to transliterating.
In the "Control Panel" there is a button "Regional and language". Go to "languages" and make sure it's set to support both left to right and right to left languages. Then go to "advanced" and select the additional languages you'd like supported. if you're only using two languages, you can switch between them easily by pressing "shift" and "alt" simultaneously. I haven't tried to use more than two languages, but I suppose that each time you press it will switch to the next language on your list, probably in alphabetical order. The language being used will be displayed on the bottom bar as well as possibly on the tool bar somewhere. (These instructions pertain to windows programs. Users of Mac, or other operating programs will have to ask their "help" program how to set up for multi language use.)

Old March 30th, 2011, 7:23 am
First Year

I went to Hebrew School so I can read Hebrew out loud, but I don't know how to speak it or understand what I'm reading.

I found this though, it looks good. It's a dvd/book set that you can order pretty cheap online: http://www.sarahdavid.com/books/

I have a question for all the HP Jews in here...I know they only celebrate Christmas at Hogwarts, but there's no way there aren't some Jews going there! It would have been nice to see a menorah in the castle.

Who do you guys think is Jewish at Hogwarts?

Possibilities in my opinion are Lavender Brown, Michael Corner, DEFINITELY Mandy Brocklehurst (see last name), and Eloise Midgen. They seem the most Jewish to me.

Old March 30th, 2011, 5:39 pm
Second Year

I wondered the same thing. Wouldn't it be great to see a Purim Shpiel at Hogwarts?!

Old April 5th, 2011, 12:58 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nargles_15 View Post
I went to Hebrew School so I can read Hebrew out loud, but I don't know how to speak it or understand what I'm reading.

I found this though, it looks good. It's a dvd/book set that you can order pretty cheap online: http://www.sarahdavid.com/books/

I have a question for all the HP Jews in here...I know they only celebrate Christmas at Hogwarts, but there's no way there aren't some Jews going there! It would have been nice to see a menorah in the castle.

Who do you guys think is Jewish at Hogwarts?

Possibilities in my opinion are Lavender Brown, Michael Corner, DEFINITELY Mandy Brocklehurst (see last name), and Eloise Midgen. They seem the most Jewish to me.
I don't know about the others, but in OotP a character called Anthony Goldstein is mentioned among those who joined the Defense against the Dark Arts club.

Although a Purim Spiel might be fun, apparently presenting plays in general was a problem at Hogwarts, so one couldn't expect one. Although, since the kitchens there seem to cater to the ethnic food tastes of people at Hogwarts, one would expect to see Matzah on the table there at Pesach time along with everything else.

Old August 7th, 2011, 3:38 am
First Year

Quote:
Are you Jewish but don't know a singal word in Hebrew?
I am Catholic, that is close right? haha
I actually went on an exchange trip to Israel last November....
sadly, all that I could say I know are pick up lines and swear words...

Pottermore username: HowlStrike32
Old September 10th, 2011, 1:48 pm
First Year

In light of the recent beta opening of Pottermore (as I am one of the few who got in [search my name and be my friend, I'm probablt the only CauldronNewt from Israel]) and because I haven't writen here in a long time, I'm going to teach you how to pronounce the Hebrew names of Magical Creatures from my edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, translated by Gily Bar-Hilel Semo:

Note, Translated words with an Astrix (*) have ע (Ain) in them a Gruttual letter and should be read as such

Red Cap-אדום ראש (Adom Rosh)
Werewolf-אדם זאב (Adam Ze'ev) or זאב אדם (Ze'ev Adam)
Mackled Malaclaw-בישצבטן סרטני (Beeshtzabtan Sartani)
Merpeople-בני ים (Bnei-Yam) Merman-בן ים (Ben-Yam) Mermaid-בת ים (Bat-Yam, like the city in Israel to anyone who visited)
Types of Dragons:
Common Welsh Green-וולשי ירוק נפוץ (Welshi Yarok Nafotz)
Hungarian Horntail-זנבקרן הונגרי (Znavkeren Hungari)
Ukranian Ironbelly-כרס-ברזל אוקראיני (Keres-Barzel 'Ukra'ini)
Chinese Fireball-מכדרר-אש סיני (Mekadrer-Esh Sini)
Norwegian Ridgeback-נורווגי נקוד (Norvegi Nakod)
Peruvian Vipertooth-ניב-צפע פרואני (Niv-Tzefa* Peru'ani)
Hebridean Black-סקוטי שחור (Scoti Shahor)
Antipodean Opaleye-עין-לשם אנטיפודי (Ein*-Leshem Antipodi)
Romaniam Longhorn-רומני ארוך-קרניים (Romani Aroch-Karnayim)
Swedish Short-Snout-שודדי קצר-חוטם (Shvedi Ktzar-Hotem)

To be continued...

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." Jedi Master Yoda, Star Wars I - The Phantom Menace

CauldronNewt
11 3/4 in. Black Walnut with Phoenix Feather core, Unyielding
Proud Hufflepuff
Old September 11th, 2011, 3:15 am
Hogwarts Graduate

That's cool. I tried to read the Hebrew version of the first Harry Potter book when I was in high school, but the reading level was too high for me at the time. At the time, I was also more used to reading with nekudot.

Old September 11th, 2011, 5:30 pm
First Year

It's called Nikud.

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." Jedi Master Yoda, Star Wars I - The Phantom Menace

CauldronNewt
Proud Hufflepuff
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:21 pm
Second Year

I've always been attracted to Hebrew. Mainly because I'm Catholic and that's the native language that many of the biblical characters spoke, if not all. But I've always had the idea that it is extremely hard to speak and write, and I don't wanna get a migraine

I think I might try learning basics with this thread, thank you to who ever had the brilliant idea!

Proud Gryffindor
"Tell them how it happened that night! How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:38 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio182 View Post
I've always been attracted to Hebrew. Mainly because I'm Catholic and that's the native language that many of the biblical characters spoke, if not all. But I've always had the idea that it is extremely hard to speak and write, and I don't wanna get a migraine
Actually reading (without translating) is very easy in Hebrew. You have to learn how to recognize and name letters in a different alphabet, but after that it's completely phonetic.

Old September 16th, 2011, 11:01 am
First Year

O.K, continuing with magical creatures in Hebrew:
Note: Words with an asterix (*) are guttural letters and should be read as such.

Unicorn חד-קרן (Had-Keren*)
Quintaped חמשוש (Hamshush*)
Flobberworm לשלוש (Lashloosh)
Sea Serpent נחש-ים (Nahash-Yam*)
Winged Horse סוס מכונף (Sus Mechunaf)
Salamander סלמנדרה (Salamandra)
Fire Crab סרטן אש (Sartan Esh)
Mooncalf עגל-ירח (Egel*-Yare'ah*)
Phoenix עוף-חול (Off*-Hol*)
Fairy פיה (Feya)
Pixie פיוניה (Fyunia) Plur. פיוניות (Fyuniot)
Puffskein צמרור (Tzamrur)
Centaur קנטאור (Kentaur)
Kneazel קניזל (K'neazel) [probably a mistake by the translator that forgot the word comes from Knee (ני)]
Re'em ראם הזהב (Re'em Hazahav) [named so because the Hebrew name for Oryx Leucryx is also Re'em, which itself is named after the mythical creature in the Bible which J.K. Rowling based this beast on]
Ghoul רול (Rule)
Imp שדון (Shedon)

Well, that's it, all other creature names were unchanged from the English version (in term of pronounciation)
Hoped you enjoyed this segment, and keep this thread going!
Tehi ha'ivrit!

CauldronNewt
Proud Hufflepuff
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio182 View Post

I think I might try learning basics with this thread, thank you to who ever had the brilliant idea!
Which Biblical characters are you refering to? Most of the early ones from Abraham on spoke Hebrew, but The book of Daniel is largely written in Aramaic, which became the common tongue in the region after the Babylonian conquest of the land and remained the common tongue right up through Roman times. At that time educated people throughout the Roman empire learned Greek as well as Latin, but the average Jew in the Land of Israel still spoke Aramaic as his mother tongue and learned Hebrew mainly for religious purposes if at all (which is why Jewish marriage contracts are written in Aramaic to this day. Because uneducated women weren't expected to know Hebrew).

Anyhow, whether Hebrew turns out to be easy or hard for you depends on your native tongue, and your study environment. Hebrew is highly structured with a grammar in which even the "exceptions" are regularized. There are a few minor differences between modern Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew grammar (mainly the "conversive" vav which switches the tense from future to past (mostly) and vice-versa). But once you learn the grammar and the basic roots you can usually puzzle out the meaning of words.

Pronunciation is another story because you have to hear it in order to learn how to pronounce those sounds which may not be present in your native tongue. If your native tongue is English, you will have to work at the Khet and Khaf (pronounced like the Scottish or German ch) and the Ayin ("the glottal stop" - try swallowing while pronouncing whatever vowel acompanies it) In proper Modern Hebrew the Resh is lightly rolled either on the tip of the tongue like in Spanish or in the back of the throat, but you'll be understood even if you don't roll it.

The Hebrew alphabet is absolutely phonetic, but it only represents the consonants. The voweling is according to the grammatical structure unless you're using a "pointed" text. Vowel points were introduced only after Hebrew ceased to be a primary language so that beginners wouldn't be completely at sea regarding pronunciation. The Torah scroll is written without vowel points, and Modern Hebrew books and newspapers are usually published without them as well (except for books aimed at first and second graders or non native students of Hebrew, and prayer books and some poetry ).

Looking up words in Hebrew Dictionaries is a bit tricky, because a given verb will not be listed under all its permutations. You need a certain amount of knowledge of basic Hebrew grammar before you can find verbs in the dictionary.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab