Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Čeština / Czech

Old June 27th, 2008, 1:02 pm
Fifth Year

Čeština / Czech

Umí tu někdo česky?

Anyone speaking Czech here? Or just having a question to ask about Czech language? This is a thread for you! I'm a native speaker, so I should be able to help you (though I admit I make gramatical mistakes, too ).

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2008, 6:37 pm
First Year

Re: Čeština/Czech

Is this language Czech? --->

SPOMAL

Za niecim krasnym
tak rychlo ako sa da
do tvojich basni
marne rym hladam

Za niecim zvlastnym
do zahrad kde nie je kriz
kam sa to blaznis
nestiham s tenou ist

Ref.:
Spomal mas privysoku rychlost
vnimam ju len siestym zmyslom
maaaam zavrat
nahlim sa po tvojom boku
a mam uz dost zbytocnych pokut
maaaam sa bat?

Za niecim stalym
tak rychlo ako to da
sa vsetko mali
aj napriek vyhodam

Za niecim bajnym
do zahrad kde nie je kryz
kam sa to blaznis
nestiham s tebou ist

It's one of my favourite songs. If it's Czech, what does it mean? What is it saying? It is such a beautiful song.

Old June 28th, 2008, 8:12 pm
Fifth Year

That's actually a song by a Slovak band called Peha. So the lyrics are in Slovak, which is quite similar to Czech actually.

The meaning of the text is a bit complicated. The title of the song means "Slow Down". As far as I undertstand it, the text is about the feeling of being in love that it's like being dizzy. It's all very nicely put. I agree that it's a beautiful song.

If you want, I could translate the entire text for you in English, though it'd take me a while, because I'd have to translate it to Czech first.

Old July 15th, 2008, 7:24 pm
First Year

Czech is a beautiful language. I would love to learn it.

Old July 15th, 2008, 7:28 pm
First Year

Oooo... if you could translate the song for me, that would be nice. I hope that's not too much work for you! I just haven't found any good translations of it anywhere. It truly is a beautiful song. Peha is an awesome band.
I also love the song Muoj Boze. I can sing it now, and I think I know what it means too! Both that song and Spomal made me want to learn Czech, or Slovak, or both... since I wasn't sure what language it was! But I'm hoping if I learn the one langage than the other one would be easier. They both sound beautiful to me.

Old July 16th, 2008, 11:44 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_McGonagall View Post
Czech is a beautiful language. I would love to learn it.
I could give you lessons of the Czech language, but it'd be really hard, because the Czech pronounciation is very specific and difficult to describe in English. If you want to learn some basic practical phrases, such as "How are you?", you can look at the following YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HONOU...eature=related. It's really well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityBurbage View Post
Oooo... if you could translate the song for me, that would be nice. I hope that's not too much work for you! I just haven't found any good translations of it anywhere. It truly is a beautiful song. Peha is an awesome band.
I also love the song Muoj Boze. I can sing it now, and I think I know what it means too! Both that song and Spomal made me want to learn Czech, or Slovak, or both... since I wasn't sure what language it was! But I'm hoping if I learn the one langage than the other one would be easier. They both sound beautiful to me.
I'll send you the translation by Owl.

Yeah, I think it'd be easier for you to learn Slovak if you knew Czech and vice versa. Those two languges are really very similar. There is some minor difference in grammar and several words completely different and a couple of words, which are different but sounds similar. The Slovak language also has a slightly different pronounciation. All in all, though, it's not much difficult for the Slovaks and Czechs to understand each other.

Old February 19th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Čeština / Czech

Ahoj! Jmenuji se Johan, a mluvim cesky. Narodil jsem se v Praze . Toto misto je velmi tiche, a rozhodl jsem se pripojit.

Last edited by JohanT; February 19th, 2012 at 11:07 pm.
Old February 21st, 2012, 3:01 pm
First Year

Re: Čeština / Czech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanT View Post
Toto misto je velmi tiche, a rozhodl jsem se pripojit.
Asi taky tiche zustane, uz leta jsem tady nikoho od nas nevidela, a ja sem taky chodim jen sporadicky. Je to zajimave, vzhledem k tomu, kolik lidi od nas je treba na devArtu; zvlast kdyz mi vyhledavani ceskeho HP fora nabidne fora, ktera jsou vicemene neaktivni. Kde vsichni ti fanousci jsou? O_O

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab