Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Sign Language

Old June 25th, 2011, 4:00 pm
Second Year

Re: Sign Language

As part of my degree I opted to learn some British Sign Language - my knowledge is still pretty basic. Learning BSL/ASL is a great opportunity, and if anyone is considering starting to learn some, I would fully recommend it!

Quote:
Is it dificult to learn BSL?

I would like to learn as it will be useful for my career choice and with work at the minute.
Sign language is a full language in its own right, rather than simply being signed English - I personally found the small amount of BSL I learnt quite tricky, but it was certainly well worth it. The difficulty obviously depends on what level you are taking the language to . Give BSL a try - even if you only learn the basics, it is better than nothing .

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2011, 8:11 pm
Second Year

I'd be quite interested in learning sign language actually. My mum and sister did a short course at a high school. I think it was for around 6 weeks. I wonder how much they actually remember... xD

I didn't actually realise that there were different sign languages. I just assumed it was universal. (If that's the right word?)
That seems really stupid of me now though aha!

Old June 25th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I didn't actually realise that there were different sign languages. I just assumed it was universal. (If that's the right word?)
American Sign Language is more closely related to French Sign Language than British Sign Language, wikipedia explains this much better than I will do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Sign_Language

But, in short - when Thomas Gallaudet travelled to London, the school refused to share their methods with him, instead he travelled to Paris, and learned their methods instead, therefore taking the French Sign Language back with him, which has influenced ASL. Or at least, that is my understanding.

Old June 26th, 2011, 5:22 pm
First Year

To be clear: My father is deaf, we are American. I am a CODA, which means "Child Of Deaf Adult(s)".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
My mother is a social worker and for her job she had to learn sign language about 20 or so years ago. I remember her studying and she taught me a few things like mother, father, baby, young, old and the alphabet. I often wonder if people who use sign language regularly have 'slang' or fad words or signs I guess like spoken language does. Just something Im curious about
Yes, they do. Being Deaf is being part of a culture that has its own ways of doing things, just like ASL has its own grammar, poetry, inflection, and so on. Sign language does not directly translate from English -- unless you're using PSE, which is Pidgin Signed English. A lot of younger Deaf these days are using a PSE/ASL hybrid. There is a lot of debate about whether or not people should use PSE instead of ASL, with heavy emphasis on ASL as a part of Deaf culture and as something significant all on its own.

ASL does have slang and fads, of course, and I'm sure you'd find a lot of them at Deaf schools! I agree with canismajoris though that it would be very difficult to track how such things would change and develop over time.

There are regional differences in sign as well.

Old June 26th, 2011, 5:50 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielouise View Post
I live in Guatemala and learned American sign language for a project at church where we wanted to translate the message to deaf people , we were quite young and learned it very fast , for our surprise American Sign language is not what deaf people in Guatemala use, but Guatemalan sign language, so we had to learn that as well. My point, I think many people make the same mistake, we think sign language is the same for all deaf people in the world and it is not.

Although I think since they can read your lips they grasp the essence of what you are saying . So I ended up being bilingual in both oral and sign language.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old July 29th, 2011, 1:52 am
First Year

Hey all,

I'm really glad that there is a thread here all about sign language! I am a British Sign Language Interpreter, having just finished a degree in the subject and I've been learning for altogether about 5 years now.

It is, like others had already said, a language like any other and yet totally unique! By that I mean, anything that you can say in English I can interpret into BSL, it also takes just as long to learn sign language as it would if you wanted to learn to speak Italian or French etc.

It is in my opinion certainly worth the effort though! Deaf Culture is a rich and vibrant culture like no other and Sign Language is at the heart of it.

If anyone has any questions (specifically people wanting to learn BSL) do let me know and I'm sure I can point you in the right direction.

I also know enough ASL to get by (at a slow pace) and some International Sign Language too.

Old July 31st, 2011, 9:19 pm
Second Year

I speak a little Spanish and a little ASL. I have found a website that teaches you a new Spanish word every day, so I can keep up with it, and learn new words. Does anyone know of such a thing exists for ASL? I have looked around and can't find anything, but figured it never hurts to ask.

(Here is the link for what I am talking about: http://www.studyspanish.com/dailyword/)

Old August 1st, 2011, 3:17 pm
First Year

I took a course in sign language back at school, like 10 years ago. (swedish SL), I've forgotten most of the grammar, words and sentences. But still know the alphabet and basic words here and there - and I also remember we sang two christmas songs in SL before the winter break - I still know most parts of Silent Night, that I enjoy doing now and again. ^^

I've found it really fascinating to learn, and very useful as well!

I didn't know there's a International Sign Language though, have to look that up!

Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:30 am
First Year

Siri- International Sign Language is a lot newer than each countries individual signed language. As technology develops and Deaf people are able to connect with other all around the world, something called the Global Deaf Community has developed and as part of this International Sign Language has developed too. It uses the american fingerspelling system (1 handed) and also has quite a few similarities with BSL. A lot of Deaf academics use it too, if for instance a Deaf person from India comes to Britain to guest lecture (as happened at my university) they will use international sign language

~Loopy~

~SkyHolly80~ = Pottermore!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:30 am
First Year

I love sign language! I learned the alphabet when I was younger and how to spell my name, but didn't really know anything more than that. Then I participated in The Miracle Worker and learned a little bit more. Now my good friend is teaching my actual signs instead of just letters

Old August 9th, 2011, 2:57 pm
Sixth Year

I took a Deaf Culture Class in college, and it was interesting to learn different things. I didn't know that sign language was different in different parts of the country. That was interesting to me.

Old August 9th, 2011, 4:07 pm
Second Year

I didn't know this was here until just now. I would have been talking here a looong time ago!

I recently finished my third year of American Sign language, so I would call myself proficient at the language. My classes went pretty far in depth on the culture, the grammar, the history and all of the other good stuff. I find it funny when my friends ask me, "Well, isn't that an easy language? All you have to do is move your hands around." And I'm like, it most certainly is not easy, and there is so much more to sign language than just moving your hands around.

One thing my school does that I absolutely love is interpreting songs. The ASL level 3 class has their own show every spring (I just did this show ) where the whole class writes a script and picks songs that fit theme and message of our show. We interpret each song as well as the script and sign it for an entire audience of about 300 people. Does anyone else have experiences with signing songs during their SL courses?

July 15th!

Siggie by me, pic used with permission from tiffany
Old August 14th, 2011, 9:06 pm
Sixth Year

No, I never did that, but it would've been cool. My sister learned how to sign "God Bless America." Her fourth grade teacher taught her.

Old August 15th, 2011, 3:43 am
Suteki da ne

I'm beginning to learn Makaton, always handy for a classroom assistant. My boyfriend is a support worker and has been doing a Makaton course, and I've been teaching myself from his work books, as well as the small amount I learnt from my course. That and watching Something Special, on the Cbeebies channel, from which I learnt a number of Makaton signs, and can understand some of the picture symbols too

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:03 pm
First Year

I would love to learn more sign language in depth. I know quite a few simple signs because I've done Baby Signs with my nieces. It really helped them communicate before they could talk. So I think I know maybe 50 signs? I know the finger alphabet and a couple of songs in ASL too. It is really interesting. The only sign language I've really seen is at Epcot in Walt Disney World, during the Candlelight Processional they have a sign language interpreter at the show. Since the show is mostly singing, it is really neat to watch the person sign all the songs. Very expressive!

Maple with unicorn core, 11 and a quarter inches, slightly springy!
Old October 27th, 2011, 1:06 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

I'm looking into taking some ASL classes myself in college. Been looking around for the best college to go to fit wise... so it'll be awhile before I'll be learning anything. But I'm looking forward to the experience.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old November 4th, 2011, 11:25 pm
First Year

I have learnt quite a bit of BSL I just enjoy learning languages though....

'A funny memory can get you through anything!'~ me

Wit Beyond Measure is Mans Greatest Treasure

discendum rideat vivamus amorem ~MY MOTTO
Old February 26th, 2012, 7:19 pm
Fourth Year

I know how to sign the American national anthem and God bless the USA in ASL . But that's about it. They taught it to us in 4th grade, and it seems like those gruelling hours of practice traumatized me enough that the signs are now ingrained in my memory.

Oh, and I know alphabet. And a few bad words .