Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Latin

Old December 18th, 2007, 11:20 pm
Second Year

Latin

I haven't seen a Latin thread yet, so...here goes.
I'm starting to study Latin, but I'm not really sure how to go about learning it. Does anyone have any suggestions, feel like discussing it, its use in the modern world, or any other topic relating to it? Does anyone study it, or have studied it in the past? Is it dying out, because it is not a primary/native language anymore?

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:35 am
She Who Walks Behind

Re: Latin

I didn't learn it or want to learn it, but it has still it role in the world. You can choose Latin in "Gymnasium" (should be Academic High School) here as foreign language. It's not used daily or for private causes, but as it's still available at the school it must have a purpose. Mostly for people who want to study medicine or such things I guess.

The End of the Dream.
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:40 am
Second Year

Salve. I learned latin for a few years due to attending a Catholic school. However I was rubbish at it. I can only remember the words which would probably not come in handy at all. I suggest you start off with the basics. Read a starters book for Latin, revise the words then go about looking through an english dictionary and soon you shall see the amount of latin used in english, french, italian etc.

Snape
"I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."
Image: http://hettie-young.deviantart.com/g...craps#/d2wqhyt
by me.
Old December 19th, 2007, 1:22 am
Fifth Year

Latin has been pretty important to me. A lot of legal terms are in Latin, and knowing the language made it that much easier for me in law classes. A lot of words also use Latin as roots, so it was very helpful for my vocabulary and for standardized tests. It's been fun to go through the Harry Potter books and look up the root words for the incantations. I find this website helpful: http://archives.nd.edu/latgramm.htm

Old December 19th, 2007, 1:41 am
Gwen's Auntie

I don't know Latin, but I'd love to learn! I took Med. Anatomy & Physiology in my Jr. year, and we had a whole section of Medical Terminology. Pretty much everything is derived from Latin or Greek.

Learning the very basic medical terms in Latin helped out my vocabulary a lot! For example: If you know the basic Latin meaning of a word or two, you can pretty much figure out the Medical term it means. (Glosso means tongue, Itis means inflammation(or infection), Oto means ear, Rhino means nose, Laryngo means larynx (throat), Ology means study...so when you see stuff like: Glossitis or Otorhinolaryngology, it is easy to figure out the meanings (inflammation of the tongue and the study of the ear, nose, and throat.)...and if you are in Medical competitions, it's easier to figure out spellings when you know the Latin meanings.

Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton
Old December 19th, 2007, 3:35 am
I want to believe

I took Latin for one semester in high school as an elective. I did well on the national Latin exam, I'm not sure how. I pretty much forget it now, but at the time I think it helped improve my Spanish. It's kind of interesting to see the roots of many English (and other languages) come up in Latin.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old December 19th, 2007, 4:00 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Well, I'm a doctor, and I never took Latin or Greek, nor felt the lack of it from a professional standpoint. We learned the pertinent words for medicine in the course of our classes in anatomy/microbiology/embryology, etc. (<--look, a Latin abbreviation!) without having to learn how to conjugate verbs or change tenses in a sentence, which would have been unnecessary to know for medicine. Having said that, I would certainly encourage anyone to learn Latin if he/she has an interest in it--it's helpful in language studies (for example, learning Italian/Spanish/French, or other Romance languages), history (a lot of primary documents in history were written in Latin as a universal language of educated people), and it's kind of neat to know just on general principles. Remember, there really isn't any such thing as knowing "too much".

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old December 19th, 2007, 4:20 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

I like Latin as a language, but sadly there was no classes on it when I was in school. Only classes for Spanish, French and that kind of thing.

I'd love to learn more about it though, it's an interesting language .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old December 19th, 2007, 4:35 am
Second Year

It's very difficult to learn. Many lawyers, GPs don't take it anymore. I can completely understand and sympathise why. It's horrible yet so terribly interesting. I have a memory problem so I was the worse in the class which probably didn't help. Oh well, it's very interesting to learn and it's nice to pick up dieing languages even if there is no chance or reviving them.

I really want to learn Gaelic.

Snape
"I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."
Image: http://hettie-young.deviantart.com/g...craps#/d2wqhyt
by me.
Old December 19th, 2007, 4:44 am
Sixth Year

I love Latin; I'm currently in Latin IV in high school. I have learned a lot about English by taking Latin, and I'm very glad I decided to take it.

And yeah, it is a dead language because no one learns it as their first language anymore.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old December 19th, 2007, 5:02 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
I love Latin; I'm currently in Latin IV in high school. I have learned a lot about English by taking Latin, and I'm very glad I decided to take it.

And yeah, it is a dead language because no one learns it as their first language anymore.
I took two years of it in high school. Latin helped me to learn a lot about English, too. It also helps with vocabulary. I didn't really like Latin, but I am really glad I had taken it.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old December 19th, 2007, 6:28 am
Fourth Year

latin is pretty easy. all you have to do is be able to memorize conjugations and declensions. once you have taken around three years you know a lot. the hard part is knowing when to apply the different rules of vocab and remembering the vocab in a test and stuff.

it is also really cool when you recognize spells and harry potter vocab during latin class and homework. it is always a good way to brighten up the class to shout out 'hey, this means ___ in harry potter!'. a lot of the words in general have similar words in english, so if you can't figure out a word, think if it sounds like something in english.

Old December 19th, 2007, 9:14 am
Eldest Gruff

I took Latin in school and its still needed for courses at most universities in German (from languages, which are often based on Latin over History to Sports).

It helped me a lot to learn other languages, even some not based on Latin, because I understood major grammar structures better. For doing researches in history I need it, but I also believe that, especially at universities, its rather tradition than helpful to keep it as instance to get access to courses. Excluded the courses like French, history etc. where you really do need it.

I didn't like it in school and never really got it for a long time, but I'm glad I took it.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old December 19th, 2007, 9:41 am
Sixth Year

I studied Latin just for one year, but I liked it a lot. Use of it? Well, if you want to study Spanish, French, Italian, or any other language coming from Latin, it will be very useful.

Well, another use of it is understanding The Name of the Rose... apart of lots of inscriptions on castles and churches, if you like those thinks (I personally love it).

Old December 19th, 2007, 1:14 pm
First Year

I took about 4 years of Latin, in 6th grade you got to pick between either Latin or French. The difference between Latin and any other language (except maybe ancient Greek), is that you don't actually learn how to speak it, as in have a regular conversation in it, you just learn a lot about grammar and vocabularies by translating historic texts. At least that's how it was in our school.
Marcus currit.
Cornelia currit.
Cornelia vicet.
Marcus servus est.
Cornelia domina est.
That's the first sentences we learned (might have forgotten the spelling by now), and about as much as I can remember. But I suppose it does come back as in making learning other languages easier, and understanding the meaning of lots and lots of words that have Latin roots.

Johnny Depp
is...

Harry Potter

Old December 19th, 2007, 2:32 pm
Eldest Gruff

Please keep in mind that the language threads are not made to exchange knowledge in swears, sexual explicit or similar terms. Our Forum Rules still apply. Thanks!

Harry Dresden.
Old December 19th, 2007, 3:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
Please keep in mind that the language threads are not made to exchange knowledge in swears, sexual explicit or similar terms. Our Forum Rules still apply. Thanks!
I sincerely hope that my post didn't make you repost the rules, as nothing of what I wrote was sweraing or sexually explicit per se, even though I am now aware that some of those words might have an adult meaning in modern language... sorry.

Johnny Depp
is...

Harry Potter

Old December 19th, 2007, 5:28 pm
Eldest Gruff

No, you're fine, dobbylikesme. My fault, sorry. I should have mentioned that the posts with non family friendly content have been deleted before.

Actually we did the same in school, translating many historic texts from for instance Caesar, Ovid or Catilina. Later we took a look at Latin from the Middleages, but in school this was only a short pleasure.

Harry Dresden.
Old December 19th, 2007, 5:29 pm
First Year

I studied latin for about five years,including latin literature.I was pretty good at it but unfortunately I forgot many things.Anyway,there are a lot of latin sentences and proverbs that are very well-known.I still remember the sentence that the gladiators used to say to the emperor before fighting, "ave Cesare,morituri te salutant",that is, more or less,"Hi emperor,those who are going to die say goodbye".I find it really interesting

Old December 19th, 2007, 6:16 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I've never studied it - I haven't had the chance. I'm sure it would be really interesting to learn, but as I'm not very good at French, which is meant to be quite easy in terms of language, I'm not sure I'd be able to cope with Latin. It's interesting to know that it's helped people understand English better - maybe it would be of use to me as I love English and learning more about the English language.

I think Harry Potter has made me more interested because of the spells.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab