Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Latin

Old December 20th, 2007, 2:18 am
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Re: Latin

I took Latin in college and I liked it a lot. I stink at trying to speak another language, so Latin was perfect because we weren't required to actually speak it. Also, we had to read the Greek myths, which was cool.

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2007, 3:17 am
Third Year

I love latin. I love singing and most masses, requiems and a lot of sacred pieces are written in latin. Unfortunately, I could not find any place in Argentina were I could take classes. I had started an online course, but I only got as far as declensions. I dropped the course when we started with verbs. It was so difficult!!!! (this coming from somebody whose first language is spanish)

well, latin may not be spoken anymore, but is certainly sung.

Old December 20th, 2007, 4:54 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
I had started an online course, but I only got as far as declensions. I dropped the course when we started with verbs. It was so difficult!!!! (this coming from somebody whose first language is spanish)
Funny, I found learning declensions way harder. It took me a long time to learn all the conjugations (active indicative, passive indicative, active subjunction, passive subjunctive, etc.) but I felt really accomplished once I finally did. Plus whenever I have trouble going to sleep, I run through the conjugations in my head and I usually fall asleep going through the passive indicative.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old December 20th, 2007, 4:58 am
Fifth Year

I started working on learning Latin via books like Wheelock earlier this year.. It started off pretty good, since the basic rules are simple, but I got a little stuck though once I hit noun declensions - that's tough.
As well as being an HP fan, I'm also a part time magician who dabbles in the sub-genre known as "Bizarre Magic", so knowing some latin would be a real boon to me when it comes to conjuring up incantations and such. Real life kicked in though, and I had to put it on a backburner.

I found my signature on a website somewhere, in fact.. I couldn't have done that myself.. yet. I'm going to pick it up again.

Old December 20th, 2007, 10:35 am
First Year

I don't know if this is the same in other countries, but in Germany when you learn Latin, and you study a certain number of years, you achieve the level "small Latinum", and then you study a few more years, you achieve the "big Latinum". And you need those levels to go on with certain studies. Don't really know which, since I never went to College or Uni. And I think I only got the small L.

Johnny Depp
is...

Harry Potter

Old December 21st, 2007, 10:15 pm
Second Year

I love Latin!!! I've been taking it for three years, and it usually comes pretty easily to me. But it's really fun, so anyone considering taking it definitely should

Old December 24th, 2007, 4:54 pm
Sixth Year

Quite a few English words are derived from Latin, so though it is a 'dead' language, we still use it somehow or other, in English, of course. I have not learnt any Latin, except for the words in psalms or hymns in Mass, as I am Roman Catholic. I always love learning new languages, so I'm pretty pleased they have some Latin words and all.

Latin was used by the Ancient Romans, and is still currently used in certain parts of Rome like the Vatican City. In all of the world, Vatican is the only one with ATM machines in Latin! How cool is that?

Old January 8th, 2008, 4:30 pm
First Year

I like latin very much, though I haven't been studying it for long... it is my fifth language I think but it explains the other four so I do understand better what word means in english and french especially. Though, I am grateful that I do speak language where the grammar is very similar because everything with accusativus, nominativus, genetivus... in most languages you only have nominativus and genetivus but in my mother tounge we do have all the six forms of nouns as in latin though we only use four of them and that has been a great help!

Latin is very important to understand other indo-european languages and I like it a lot

Old January 8th, 2008, 4:50 pm
Professor Emeritus

When I was still working as a music director, at the last church where I worked I got into an argument with the interim pastor about the 'c' sound in Latin. I learned it as a hard sound. He had learned it as a soft sound. I didin't know there were two schools of thought about this. I just thought that what I heard people saying was the English version of the Latin - like Julius Caesar was Jewleeus Seezer. But in Latin it would be EEyouleeus Kyzar. (no J in Latin) Cicero was Sisseroh - in Latin it was Kickeroh.

Anyone have any comments about this?

Cats know your every thought. They don't care, but they know.

He who dislikes a cat was in his former life a rat.

Forum Rules violators will be shredded! Read my claws!

Vocatus atque non Vocatus Deus aderit

§ Cathairetic §
Old January 8th, 2008, 5:00 pm
Eldest Gruff

If I recall it correct the classical sound would be, to take your example, 'K'ickero. In Germany for instance people learned this classical sounds, but after 1933 a local sound of it was taught in schools. Today it still depends on regional teaching, but mostly people came back to the international pronunciation, what would be the classical one.

There's some more detailed information on wiki, also about how English people pronounce it and where the exceptions in classical Latin are.

We had a younger teacher in our last years at school who once read Latin very close to what researchers found the spoken language. This sounded more like Italian than Latin and so was very different to what we were used to hear when someone read a Latin text.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old January 9th, 2008, 5:47 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathairetic View Post
When I was still working as a music director, at the last church where I worked I got into an argument with the interim pastor about the 'c' sound in Latin. I learned it as a hard sound. He had learned it as a soft sound. I didin't know there were two schools of thought about this. I just thought that what I heard people saying was the English version of the Latin - like Julius Caesar was Jewleeus Seezer. But in Latin it would be EEyouleeus Kyzar. (no J in Latin) Cicero was Sisseroh - in Latin it was Kickeroh.

Anyone have any comments about this?
Yep, that is correct.

- In Latin, all the vowels are pronounced like they are in Spanish. 'A' is pronounced 'ahh.'
- 'E' is pronounced like a hard 'a' like 'hate.'
- 'I' is pronounced like a hard 'e' like 'eat.'
- 'O' is pronounced like the letter.
- 'U' is pronounced like 'ooo' like in 'you.'
- A 'c' is pronounced like a 'k.'
- There weren't any 'J's, instead it would be an 'I.' Julius' name would have been spelt 'Iulius.'
- And a 'v' is pronounced like a 'w' (they had no letter 'w' either).

Cicero would sound like 'Kee-ker-o.'
Julius would have been spelt 'Iulius' and pronouced 'You-lee-oos.'
And Caesar would have been pronounced 'Ky-sahr.'

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
Old January 9th, 2008, 5:54 pm
Third Year

I had the oppurtunity to study latin few years ago and I messed it up. Now I feel bad about it.. but you can't change the past. *sigh*

Like a wilful stray cat, full of pride and freedom... bearing wounds that can't be healed...
Old January 9th, 2008, 9:54 pm
Professor Emeritus

RE: The pronunciation of Latin.... Yay! I was right! I hope I don't ever get asked to read in church on Christmas eve. I might just say Yoolius Kysahr. and everyone would think I was nuts.

By the way, I just finished Cicero's Tusculan Disputations and enjoyed it very much. My daughters just don't get me getting into some guy who lived 2100 years ago but I tell them he thinks the way I do and I love his arguments. Aren't books just the greatest things? Cicero in my mind just like the latest novelist.

§ Cathairetic §

Last edited by cathairetic; January 10th, 2008 at 12:35 am.
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:29 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak of nature View Post
I had the oppurtunity to study latin few years ago and I messed it up. Now I feel bad about it.. but you can't change the past. *sigh*
I was never good in Latin during school. I got what we call 'Great Latinum' here, but still I had no clue about the language when I left school. Then I began to study courses I needed the language for and began to study Latin again, just as hobby, due to pure interest. I had never thought I ever would do something like this before.

Harry Dresden.
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:14 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
I was never good in Latin during school. I got what we call 'Great Latinum' here, but still I had no clue about the language when I left school. Then I began to study courses I needed the language for and began to study Latin again, just as hobby, due to pure interest. I had never thought I ever would do something like this before.
nerd

Johnny Depp
is...

Harry Potter

Old January 10th, 2008, 12:12 pm
First Year

Here in Italy Latin is really important. You have to study it if you attend some kind of high schools (based on classic study, or scientific too). You see, the Italian (like Spanish and other language) comes from the Latin .. our language is so similar to the Latin: some words are the same, and the pronunciation is pretty the same (excepted for the "dittongo" [i don't know the English for it] like "ae" and others ..). I was forced to study it: it's been a nightmare for me, studying it in the last five years. I've never liked it, even if I was pretty good. Fortunately, I won't have to study it in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
- In Latin, all the vowels are pronounced like they are in Spanish. 'A' is pronounced 'ahh.'
- 'E' is pronounced like a hard 'a' like 'hate.'
- 'I' is pronounced like a hard 'e' like 'eat.'
- 'O' is pronounced like the letter.
- 'U' is pronounced like 'ooo' like in 'you.'
- A 'c' is pronounced like a 'k.'
- There weren't any 'J's, instead it would be an 'I.' Julius' name would have been spelt 'Iulius.'
- And a 'v' is pronounced like a 'w' (they had no letter 'w' either).
The same for Italian language too.

Last edited by eMiliano88; January 10th, 2008 at 12:18 pm.
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:22 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbylikesme View Post
nerd
Afraid you're right in this.

Harry Dresden.
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:26 pm
Professor Emeritus

Right now I am re-reading The History of Rome by Titus Livy.

Question again. Is there no G in Latin? In these old books I always see Gaius as Caius and Gnaeus as Cnaeus.

§ Cathairetic §
Old January 11th, 2008, 3:15 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMiliano88 View Post
(excepted for the "dittongo" [i don't know the English for it] like "ae" and others ..)
Diphthong?

Old January 11th, 2008, 3:37 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathairetic View Post
Right now I am re-reading The History of Rome by Titus Livy.

Question again. Is there no G in Latin? In these old books I always see Gaius as Caius and Gnaeus as Cnaeus.
No, they did have the letter 'g.' It just wasn't a very common letter, they preferred to use 'c' in words we made into 'g' words.

Quote:
The same for Italian language too.
Yeah, that makes sense, since Italian is one of the languages that comes from Latin.

Last edited by Spirit; January 11th, 2008 at 3:51 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab