Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Latin

Old September 25th, 2008, 3:51 am
First Year

Re: Latin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathairetic View Post
Latin is the foundation of our modern languages and we use so many Latin phrases in everyday speech. Medicine and law are full of Latin. I am just an ancient Rome junkie and I have read just about all of the writers extant from that society. I have 'edited' and made my own copies of these documents because the way Latin stays pretty much in the present tense even when that is not what is meant bugs me no end. So I change all the tenses to what they should be so I and anyone else in my family who wants to read these letters, biographys, essays, histories, etc. can do so with ease.

I also pronounce Latin with the restored pronunciation.

I'm kind of goofy, I guess.
I agree 100%. (Except if you're goofy, I'm odd) I am currently ready for Latin III and I love it. However, my new school only offers French, Spanish, and Sign Language so I'm stuck with Spanish. Because no one here knows Latin I constantly get the "Latin is a dead language" card thrown at me. (However, until the day that German, French, Spanish... and the rest of the Romance languages end, Latin lives!) Besides, Latin makes English grammer seem simple (who can't handle a simple English participle when you can decline them in Latin!) Also, so many words come from Latin (especially SAT type words). And, many scientific words use Latin endings (ex. Mitochondrium, Mitochondria) some people have trouble with which one is plural and which one is singular, but if you treat it like a neuter word (2nd or 3rd declension) it's simple!

And, some people can't grasp the v = w concept. (No one pronounces Veni Vidi Vinci right!)

Oh, and the other day I randomly felt the need (in the middle of Spanish class) to conjugate do, dare, dedi, datus (because we were learning the spanish equivalent--- "dar"). I got to future perfect when my teacher called on me...

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2008, 9:48 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen_hpffl View Post
Hey guys! I was just wondering if you could tell me how to say "open, please" or "please open" in Latin? I need it for a fan fic I'm writing.

Thanks in advance!
Katie
It would depend on what's being opened, and how many people the phrase is being said to.

If someone is telling an object to open ("Come on, door, open, please!"), or someone is telling one person to open something ("Hey you, open this, please"), and the thing that's being opened is something like a drawer or a door, it would be aperti, amabo.
If someone is telling more than one person to open it ("Everyone, open these/this, please"), it would be apertite, amabo.

If someone is telling a book to open, or they're telling one person to open a book, it would be, evolve, amabo.
If someone is telling more than one person to open books, it would be evolvite, amabo.

If someone is telling a letter to open, or they're telling one person to open a letter, it would be resolve, amabo.
If someone is telling more than one person to open letters, it would be resolvite, amabo.

The Romans made everything complicated, lol.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old September 25th, 2008, 2:21 pm
First Year

LOL, oh wow, never knew there was so many ways to say it. Well I think it's the first one because it's a password for opening Gryffindor tower. Am I right?

go 'claws!
Old September 26th, 2008, 9:27 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen_hpffl View Post
LOL, oh wow, never knew there was so many ways to say it. Well I think it's the first one because it's a password for opening Gryffindor tower. Am I right?
Yes, that's right. It would be aperti, amabo.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
Old October 20th, 2008, 5:25 pm
First Year

I had to take latin and it really helped me understanding all of the languages (english, italian, french, german etc)Now I could have dropped it, but here they won't let you study, if you didn't learn it and that's why I didn't drop it. But the grammar is really hard sometimes and so many things sound familiar.

Old October 30th, 2008, 6:42 pm
Squee-worthy

I took four years of Latin and loved it. But I have to admit I really don't know much Latin.

Old December 5th, 2008, 2:11 pm
Third Year

I also studied Latin for three years, but I forgot everything. Well, almost everything because French language took so much from Latin . Though it helped me a lot when I started to learn German, for declensions mainly.

Old December 7th, 2008, 5:57 am
Sixth Year

Salve! Amo lingua Latina! Cepi lingua Latina quattorem annos. Mei grammaticae est mala, sed didici multus. Discipuli capiendi lingua Latina, quid librum legent? Quot legent "Ecce Romani"?

Since a lot of people here don't really speak the language:

Hi! I love Latin! I've taken Latin for four years. My grammar is bad, but I've learned a lot. The students taking Latin, what book do you read? How many read "Ecce Romani" (Look Romans)?

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old December 7th, 2008, 8:49 am
Squee-worthy

We never did. The only things we really read was the Aeneid.

Old December 8th, 2008, 6:04 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchsmart View Post
How many read "Ecce Romani" (Look Romans)?
Yep, I did. All three. After those, we used "Jenny's Fourth Year Latin" and a translated Charolette's Web.

Old December 8th, 2008, 6:20 am
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
Yep, I did. All three. After those, we used "Jenny's Fourth Year Latin" and a translated Charolette's Web.
I took four years of Latin too, and we never got to the fourth book of Jenny's Fourth Year Latin

Old December 8th, 2008, 10:50 am
Winning Teamster

Quote:

Did you ever get to read anything that was a 'real' ancient text?

My Latin course in school was very traditional - I know people 30 years older than I am who used the same Latin book, which has since been discontinued. After two years we started reading ancient texts, starting (again, very traditionally) with Caesar.

I remember the exact passage - a few sentences into Caesar's Gallic War, when it suddenly dawned on me that I could read something that someone had written down in a different time, a different culture over 2000 years ago, and read it as they wrote it. That fascination has never left me. It's awesome to be able to do this, IMHO.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old December 9th, 2008, 2:49 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Klio:

My Latin course in school was very traditional - I know people 30 years older than I am who used the same Latin book, which has since been discontinued. After two years we started reading ancient texts, starting (again, very traditionally) with Caesar.

I remember the exact passage - a few sentences into Caesar's Gallic War, when it suddenly dawned on me that I could read something that someone had written down in a different time, a different culture over 2000 years ago, and read it as they wrote it. That fascination has never left me. It's awesome to be able to do this, IMHO.
My class is doing something like that now. We're reading the texts of Cicero, Eutropius, and other Romans in the exact format that they wrote them, it's pretty interesting stuff. Ever since I started taking Latin, I realized that I see it everywhere in everday life (e.g. Nunquam titilandus draco dormiens).

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old December 9th, 2008, 7:08 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
Yep. Ecce Romani III and Jenney's Fourth Year Latin were both a collection of ancient texts. Ecce Romani had works by Cicero, Caesar, Pliny, Eutropius, Asconius, etc. Jenney's was all poetry... the Aeneid, Ovid, Catullus, Horace, Martial, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo
I agree, definitely. I read Pliny the Younger's account of the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius once, and I thought it was just amazing that I was reading an eyewitness account of a famous event like that which took place in 79 AD.

I do get really frustrated reading the original ones though, it takes me forever to understand them, meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric
I took four years of Latin too, and we never got to the fourth book of Jenny's Fourth Year Latin
LOL, well, the Jenney's books are harder, I think. They're certainly thicker. We used Ecce Romani for three years, and we finished two of the three. We didn't come anywhere close to finishing the Jenney's Fourth Year Latin though.

Last edited by Spirit; December 9th, 2008 at 7:13 am.
Old December 13th, 2008, 3:39 am
Sixth Year

Has anyone here participated in Roman activities such as banquets or mock chariot races?

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old December 13th, 2008, 11:53 am
Third Year

Not such activities but once in class we coocked some roman food. We had first translated the reciepes our teacher had found in a book, that was pretty fun. Another funny thing was translating Astérix from French to Latin and then check if we were correct in the Latin edition.

Old December 13th, 2008, 12:19 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
I agree, definitely. I read Pliny the Younger's account of the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius once, and I thought it was just amazing that I was reading an eyewitness account of a famous event like that which took place in 79 AD.

I do get really frustrated reading the original ones though, it takes me forever to understand them, meh.
I used to do a lot of tutoring in Latin, and one thing I always had to tell people was this:

If you read an ancient text, it might seem difficult. The one thing that's crucial is that above everything, you have to keep in mind that the author WANTED to make sense. So, if you construct everything and come up with something that doesn't quite seem right, try to work out what they might have wanted to say. It's a different time and culture, but they were still people who wanted to get a message across. I found that so many people tackling ancient texts just somehow forgot about that - with all the other things like grammar, syntax and vocab to worry about. But if you don't ever let go of that one crucial aim, you should be OK.

After a while you get used to it - although it IS hard to do at the beginning. Of course, I make a living studying the ancients (Romans as well as Greeks), so I am of course a bit biased: I think it's totally worth finding out what they had to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchsmart View Post
Has anyone here participated in Roman activities such as banquets or mock chariot races?
LOL - mock chariot races? How does that work?

I have done a lot of Roman cooking over the years - and I do use the original Apicius text, not modernised recipes, as far as possible (although you do have to interpret it carefully to get results). I LOVE Roman food - OK, some of it anyway. I don't eat the famous (but rare) stuff like doormice, obviously.

I have also reconstructed ancient clothing (learning how to cut and drape a toga properly is tricky, actually). I love ancient women's clothes. Very elegant and simple at the same time, although I'd go a bit more lightly on the veils, just as most movies set in those periods would do

At some point I was part of a team which put together an exhibition about ancient games, and we had a lot of fun learning a few of those, and then playing them to show visitors (and playing with visitors) at one or two occasions. That was a lot of fun, too!

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old December 15th, 2008, 2:50 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Klio:
LOL - mock chariot races? How does that work?
I actually don't know, I've only heard about it. My school does do a Roman banquet once a year though, we all dress up in togas and serve food, it's pretty fun!

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old April 5th, 2009, 11:10 pm
First Year

I've been studying Latin for nearly 4 years and it helps a lot with my other languages.

staff edit: only one image allowed
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:31 pm
Third Year

This is my first year taking Latin, and I absolutely love it; it's my favorite subject I've ever taken. I just think it's so much fun and so interesting, and it comes really easily to me - but Latin I is, of course, not a difficult class, so we'll see if I feel the same way next year. Even though I haven't been taking it very long, I've learned enough to occasionally see an english word and know what it means because of Latin, and it has helped me a ton for grammar in English - my teacher always thinks I must have learned so much grammar when I was younger, and the truth is I've never learned it before, I just know it from Latin. I can't say it has helped me that much in French (which I've been taking for five years), but I do recognize similarities between the languages really often during Latin class. I can't wait to keep taking Latin and learn more of the language.

Signature by ~under-blue-skies on DA
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab