Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Latin

Old April 5th, 2009, 11:41 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Re: Latin

I did 6 years of Latin at school and enjoyed it so much I nearly did it at university. Sadly, I've forgotten a lot of it now, but it's helped me so much, not just with learning foreign languages (although it probably did), but with vocabulary, spelling, grammar and style in English (my native language). For example, I never misspell "desperate" as "desparate", because I remember it comes from "spes" (=hope).

P.S. I had the Cambridge orange and green books when I was learning Latin (Caecilius est pater, Metella est mater etc), and I did Aeneid IV, Ovid's Metamorphoses, and something unbelievably dull by Cicero for 'A' level.

Last edited by Melaszka; April 5th, 2009 at 11:44 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:58 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
P.S. I had the Cambridge orange and green books when I was learning Latin (Caecilius est pater, Metella est mater etc), and I did Aeneid IV, Ovid's Metamorphoses, and something unbelievably dull by Cicero for 'A' level.
I have the Cambridge book! There are some rather interesting stories in there.

Signature by ~under-blue-skies on DA
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:59 am
Professor Emeritus

I love this thread! As for cooking Roman food, how could you ever want to eat garum? I don't eat any Asian food that uses fish sauce. I think that one condiment was what kept Roman cooking from taking over the world.

As for reading the ancient Romans... I just love the idea that the voice of someone who died over 2000 years ago is heard in my head and through him I see how people thought and how they lived then. The Commentaries on the Gallic Wars was brilliant. Caesar could get his ideas across very succintly. He was really good. I learned so much by reading him.

I also have read Plutarch, Livy, Cicero, and letters by various other Romans. It's all fascinating to me. I wish that the History of Rome didn't have so much missing from it.

I pronounce Latin in the restored manner much to the dismay of those who think 'c' is soft and 'ae' sounds like ee. There were no G's and no J's and yes, I do say, W for V the Veni, Vidi, Vici (weekee). I read aloud to elderly people and there are some who like these mysteries set in ancient Rome. They freak out the first time they hear me say, Oolioos KYser. I just tell them I pronounce Latin as it was spoken, not as the Catholic Church pronounces it. Most of them become interested in this immediately.

Cats know your every thought. They don't care, but they know.

He who dislikes a cat was in his former life a rat.

Forum Rules violators will be shredded! Read my claws!

Vocatus atque non Vocatus Deus aderit

§ Cathairetic §
Old April 6th, 2009, 1:10 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LoonyLovegood_ View Post
I have the Cambridge book! There are some rather interesting stories in there.
I always got mixed up with who was who....

staff edit: only one image allowed
Old April 6th, 2009, 2:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklepins View Post
I always got mixed up with who was who....
It's simple - Caecilius est pater, Metella est mater, Quintus est filius, Cerberus est canis, Grumio est coquus, Clemens est servus et Melissa est ancilla!

Did anyone else find it really cheesy after the eruption of Pompeii when Quintus suddenly had a personality morph into this James Bond-like character?

Last edited by Melaszka; April 6th, 2009 at 2:45 pm.
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
It's simple - Caecilius est pater, Metella est mater, Quintus est filius, Cerberus est canis, Grumio est coquus, Clemens est servus et Melissa est ancilla!

Did anyone else find it really cheesy after the eruption of Pompeii when Quintus suddenly had a personality morph into this James Bond-like character?
I think those were the books we used in high school. In college, I used Wheelock's Latin, which is pretty good.

My Latin teacher in high school was always really cheesy, but unfortunately, due to budget cuts, my old high school no longer offers Latin.

Old May 11th, 2009, 8:13 pm
Professor Emeritus

RE the chariot races. We used to have quidditch games on these forums. I was a beater. We had teams and we would all get on line at a certain time and start posting. Those were the days! OK back on topic.

I find it interesting that I can read Latin as well as I do because I am self-taught. The declensions are awful but then I took German in college.

Cats know your every thought. They don't care, but they know.

He who dislikes a cat was in his former life a rat.

Forum Rules violators will be shredded! Read my claws!

Vocatus atque non Vocatus Deus aderit

§ Cathairetic §
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:05 pm
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathairetic View Post
RE the chariot races. We used to have quidditch games on these forums. I was a beater. We had teams and we would all get on line at a certain time and start posting. Those were the days! OK back on topic.

I find it interesting that I can read Latin as well as I do because I am self-taught. The declensions are awful but then I took German in college.
The declensions aren't that bad. They can be hard to understand at first, but I took Latin for four years, and it wasn't really the hardest part at all.

Old July 1st, 2009, 5:31 am
Second Year

um its definitly already died out...no one has spoken it in like a thousand years at least.

Old July 6th, 2009, 10:37 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacheeto View Post
um its definitly already died out...no one has spoken it in like a thousand years at least.
No reason to not learn it though, since it's the root of so many languages

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:24 pm
Third Year

Does anyone know how "Alacer" would be pronounced in Latin?

My wand! Made by Christian Mills (captain_mills) from the Mills Family Wand Company.
Click here to see more pictures.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:19 pm
Third Year

I don't think it's died out, per se, but evolved or changed. I believe that Greece still speaks a derivative of latin, much the same way the USA and Brasil speak derivatives of their "old languages." Also, all the romance languages are latin based. I can read and understand latin (for the most part) because I speak portuguese, spanish, and limited french besides english. I see the words and recognize and make connections to other languages. The sentences make sense to me...

Oh, and DarkLord7, I'm not positive how it is in latin, but I imagine that the accent would be on the last syllable since it ends with an "r". I'd guess it as al-ah-SER for the pronunciation. There's a few rules to speaking some latin-based languages that place accents on the second to last syllable with two exceptions: (1) an accent is indicated with a tilde or a hyphen or (2) it ends with the letters i, l, r, u or z. But again, I'm not certain...

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by captain_mills; October 20th, 2009 at 11:25 pm. Reason: avoid a double post
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7 View Post
Does anyone know how "Alacer" would be pronounced in Latin?
I would say "alack air", based on what I was taught at school, but I'm not a very trustworthy authority. Anyway, I think there are different schools of thought about how Latin should be pronounced.

Where is Klio when we need her?!

Old October 20th, 2009, 11:53 pm
Winning Teamster

I am here! I'd say, Mel, that you are absolutely right about this. The classical pronunciation (the way it was probably pronounced in antiquity) is alack-air, and I'd stress it on the second syllable.

The vowels are always supposed to be clear vowels (as they would be in Italian: a = 'ah', e=e as in 'Ellie', i=ee, o=o as in 'got', u=oo)

so the tricky bit is the 'c'.
  • Classical Latin: always k. --> alack-air
  • Church Latin/Music/Italian Latin: k before a/o/u, 'ch' as in 'chips' before e and i. --> allah-chair
  • English Public school Latin: k before a/o/u, 's' before e and i. (and that accent also does funny things with the vowels, so the word might become ah-lace-er (???))
  • Erasmus pronunciation: k before a/o/u, ts before e and i (you won't usually hear this in the Engish-speaking world). --> ah-lah-tsair

I'd go for the classical option every time....

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic

Last edited by Klio; October 20th, 2009 at 11:58 pm.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:56 pm
Third Year

hmmm, I musta learned the "English Public School Latin" latin...

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:19 am

Oddly enough, I learnt Classical Latin, despite going to an English public school!

Old October 21st, 2009, 12:26 am
Winning Teamster

LOL. I bet my terminology isn't quite right.....

But I have hardly ever heard the 'public school' version, and it was usually when people who were at Eton and places like that were using it. I have no idea what the American tradition is. Incidentally, I think that there is some method to the vowel madness: I think the vowels that get twisted are also the long ones, which helps with scanning verse. But I am not sure whether this is consistent.

I think these days most schools in the Uk which do classics at all will employ people with a classics degree, and most of those will want to use classical Latin. I would assume that most Latin books will also suggest that version.

I learned Latin in Erasmus pronunciation, which is still quite common in the German speaking countries, and I find that the first sound you learned for Latin never quite goes away: it will always sound like that in my head, even if I can happily switch between classical and a sort of moderate English (minus the weird vowels) when I pronounce it.

Old October 21st, 2009, 12:30 am

What kind do they use in choral music, because I'm pretty sure I've been told to pronounce "c" as "ts" when I've been in choirs?

"C" is pronounced "ts" in Polish, too, which could explain why Erasmus Latin has remained popular in Central Europe??

Old October 21st, 2009, 12:41 am
Third Year

Well, I was told that "Alacer" means quick, or fast.
Can anyone confirm that, since you obviously know more Latin than me?

My wand! Made by Christian Mills (captain_mills) from the Mills Family Wand Company.
Click here to see more pictures.
Old October 21st, 2009, 5:47 am
Third Year

Here's where I go for my spells and such.
http://www.freedict.com/onldict/lat.html

What I can see after typing both "quick" and "fast" (and unclicking the "exact" box), is you might have meant aceler rather than alacer... but again, I'm not sure either...

Anyway, I never took a latin class in school, but I studied french for three years in high school only to travel to Brasil for two years. I now speak portuguese fluently, spanish conversationally, and french limitedly (I know it's not a word, but it sounded good). All of my primary languages are latin based. So I glean from them. I would pronounce latin as if I were speaking one of my latin languages. For instance, it was mentioned above already, but I'd pronounce the "c" as an "s" when followed by the i/e and a "k" when followed by an a/o/u. I'd do the same with the g's as well... but that's me... And I'm not even catholic! (Not that there's anything wrong with that )

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab