Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

German / Deutsch

Old January 4th, 2008, 2:19 pm
Eldest Gruff

Re: German / Deutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Considering the original text 'do it well' meaning play that role well, I as non German would prefer 'mach es gut'. As it seems to be the one of the three that comes closest.
I was more free in my translation, literally you both are right. Just that I don't know anyone who would use 'mach es gut' in such a sentence, its more a greet to say goodbye. But maybe that's a local thing again.

I didn't really think of the 'do it well' issue when I replied, just detected the typos. My translation of "Play your part and do it well; therein the honor lies." would be:

Spiele Deine Rolle und spiele sie gut [relating the 'do it well' to 'play your part']; darin liegt das Ehrenvolle.

So much to choose from for aussieboy!

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:10 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
Aww... it sounds so cute when you use the German terms Mutti, Oma, Onkel in English sentences. Does your family usually do so? Its interesting!
All the time! Of course, Onkel is easiest, since it sounds pretty much the same in German or in English, but pretty much everyone I know knows that I have an Oma, not a grandmother. "Mutti" and "Mom" are pretty evenly divided in references to my mother. It's pretty much a habit, though, that my German relatives are referred to in German terms and my American ones in English terms--so we talk about my Tante Eva and my Aunt Sandy all the time. Interestingly, I myself am a Tante, not an Aunt--my 4 year old nephew who is born and raised here in the USA calls me Tante. When he was learning to talk, it was easier to get him to say Tante than Aunt, so we went with the flow, so to speak.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:14 am
Eldest Gruff

That's really helpful too! How often have we to differ between relatives from father or mother here. I like it.

Harry Dresden.
Old January 9th, 2008, 6:15 pm
First Year

Hallo! Mein deutsch ist also/also.

"Are you really as stupid as you look?" Harry from Deathly Hollows

Please send me an owl, I love meeting people and talking
Old January 9th, 2008, 9:49 pm
Eldest Gruff

Hallo Nymphadora! Wie geht es Dir?

Harry Dresden.
Old January 24th, 2008, 9:51 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhelda View Post
Endlich fragt der Mann ,,W o r a u s___k o m m e n___S i e?"
Johann antwortet ,, i c h___k o m m e___a u s___W i e n."
,,W i r k l i c h?___ I c h___k o m m e___a u s___L i n z." sagt der Mann.
Johann fragt ,,D a n n___w a r u m___s p r e c h e n___w i r___E n g l i s c h?"
Lol!!! That's a funny one. It has also brightened what was otherwise a depressing day in the realm of German for me (didn't do so well on a quiz )

I understand a lot of German, but I get really nervous speaking it when I'm there. Which is silly, because in other places where I know even less of the language, I don't have any problem at all!

I say it just
Begins to live
That day.
-Emily Dickenson
Old January 24th, 2008, 9:56 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldawen View Post
Lol!!! That's a funny one. It has also brightened what was otherwise a depressing day in the realm of German for me (didn't do so well on a quiz )

I understand a lot of German, but I get really nervous speaking it when I'm there. Which is silly, because in other places where I know even less of the language, I don't have any problem at all!
Heh, I feel the same whenever I'm surrounded by Germans who study English and I'm supposed to talk to them. I just know that they will notice any mistake a native speaker would ignore. But German is so much harder in terms of grammar, I'm happy I never had to learn it as a second language.

Old January 25th, 2008, 12:27 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldawen View Post

Glad you enjoyed it, Aldawen! Although it's much funnier to hear than to read...

Anyway, I guess I'm lucky, because when I go to Germany, the main people I talk to are relatives, who are quite happy to overlook my "der" when I should have said "das", the frequent "Mutti, how do you say ****?" interruptions, or my "just add -en to an English verb to make it a German one"--which leads to a lot of weird sentences like ,,ich kann nicht das Buch auf die hoechsten (Mutti, how do you say shelf?--Regal) Regal reachen."

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:32 am
She Who Walks Behind

The add -en at the end works with a lot of words, but only those we "stole" from English first.
cruise - cruisen, shop - shoppen, chill - chillen, relax - relaxen etc.

The End of the Dream.
Old January 25th, 2008, 1:48 am
Third Year

I'm definitely going to be breaking out "chillen" next time I'm around other German students!

I say it just
Begins to live
That day.
-Emily Dickenson
Old January 25th, 2008, 3:55 pm
Fifth Year

I don't know much German, but I do know how to say "You are a snowflake." I'm not going to try to spell it out, though. It would be horrible. I also know how to say table, head, zero, and a few swear words. It's intersting what you can learn from and American who lives in Germany while playing cards...

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old January 25th, 2008, 5:53 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post

The add -en at the end works with a lot of words, but only those we "stole" from English first.
cruise - cruisen, shop - shoppen, chill - chillen, relax - relaxen etc.
What about: gehen (go) - stehen (stand) - stehlen (steal) - machen (make) and all the other verbs in German that end on -en? Well at least in the infinitive cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sllagnire View Post
I don't know much German, but I do know how to say "You are a snowflake." I'm not going to try to spell it out, though. It would be horrible. I also know how to say table, head, zero, and a few swear words. It's intersting what you can learn from and American who lives in Germany while playing cards...
You are a snowflake - Du bist eine Schneeflocke

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Old January 25th, 2008, 6:16 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
What about: gehen (go) - stehen (stand) - stehlen (steal) - machen (make) and all the other verbs in German that end on -en?
That's more a cause of Germanic word development I think. Words like 'to chill' are English, but transformed into German just recently and by actually being quite aware that these are English words. People tend to believe its nice to let an Anglicism (or ten... ) slip in a German sentence. But words like gehen and go just developed out of the same long ago. I rather hope it will never be like Tenshi's example so that we'll say go-en one day.

Harry Dresden.
Old January 25th, 2008, 6:33 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
That's more a cause of Germanic word development I think. Words like 'to chill' are English, but transformed into German just recently and by actually being quite aware that these are English words. People tend to believe its nice to let an Anglicism (or ten... ) slip in a German sentence. But words like gehen and go just developed out of the same long ago. I rather hope it will never be like Tenshi's example so that we'll say go-en one day.
Oh God yes! *slaps forehead* I think I finally understand Tenshi's example. I was a bit confused to what she meant.

But you are right, we tend to mix orignially English words with German Grammar. Like for example what I'm doing right now. I post in a forum. We don't really have a German translation for it. 'To post' would be

to send a message in a forum - eine Nachricht in einem Forum abschicken

But we use the English term conjugating it through with German endings

Ich poste
Du postest
Er/Sie/Es postet

Wir posten
Ihr postet
Sie posten

just as an example in present tense. Weird somehow, isn't it?

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Old January 25th, 2008, 6:37 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Yeah that's why I said that those words are taken from English first. We make them "German" by adding -en at the end.

But actually I don't know what else to say beside "owlen", "posten" etc ... It's already so burned in, that anything else seems wrong or too complicated.

The End of the Dream.
Old January 25th, 2008, 6:38 pm
Eldest Gruff

Yes that it is, exactly. Especially for internet terms we don't have own words (mostly), but as far as I know this is the same for many languages (also like Swedish or Estonian) which use English words, sometimes just spelled slightly different.

Harry Dresden.
Old January 25th, 2008, 7:50 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
You are a snowflake - Du bist eine Schneeflocke
Yes, that is it. Don't think that is how I would have spelled it anywhere near that (excet the Schneeflocke becuase that is my friend's s/n because she liked the saying so much). Thank you!

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old January 25th, 2008, 8:46 pm
MODLY CREW

I also go "emails checken".

Old January 25th, 2008, 11:48 pm
Ravenclaw Prefect

What's also funny (in an admittedly sad sort of way) is when I have to use the past tense forms and I don't know the German verb, so I add ge- to the front; for example:

"Ich habe die Teppich gevacuumt."

(my relatives love to hear me talk sometimes! Most of the time, I don't plan these made-up words, they just sort of happen...sigh.)

Old February 6th, 2008, 12:22 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Booah, fürchterlich!After more than seven years in the UK I still hate it when Germans use English words and add German endings! What I find particularly annoying is the use of English words in the wrong context, a "disease" widely found in German.

Anyway, if any of you German learners are based in or around London and want to practise their language skills, just let me know, I know a few German circles (there is a German forum of expatriots living in London, a German Church...) and maybe you could also join a "Stammtisch".

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab