Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Gaeilge

Old December 19th, 2007, 8:12 pm
Fifth Year

Gaeilge

Ok. so... ceapaim go bhfiul áis iontach againn anseo ar CoS chun teangacha a úsáid gan naire go bhfuil muid ag deanamh botún. Táim ag stadair an gaeilge in ÓE Gaillimh ach nílim líofa. Tá a fhios agam go bhfuil daoine anseo le gaeilge agus well... ba mhaith liom caint libhse!

Ok. So... I think we have a great facility here on CoS to use languages without embarrasment about making mistakes. I'm studying Irish in NUI Galway but I'm not fluent. I know there are Irish speakers here and well... I want to have a chat.

If there is anyone else who is interested I don't mind teaching simple words and phrases and giving the pronounciation with them like Luka13 is doing for Cherokee. If not then me and my mad language will just fade into the darkness and not upset any of your nice languages with our oddness.

Old December 19th, 2007, 8:16 pm
Third Year

Re: Gaeilge

I've been trying to learn as well. I've got a simple phrase book, but any suggestions for a phonetic guide or other tools would be very much appreciated!

GOFLAMESGO!!!
Old December 19th, 2007, 8:51 pm
Fifth Year

Tá a fhios agam go bhfuil sé deacair focail gaeilge a fuamniú. Úsáidimid an aibítur cheanna leis an bearla ach labhraímid an-difriúil.

Yeah trying to pronouce Irish words can be difficult because even though we use the same letters as English we pronounce them completely differently or at least we put letters together in ways that confuse English speakers.

www.angaelmagazine.com seems to have some stuff but the resources I can find online seem to be people from the US talking so I'll try to help.
S - before E or I sounds like Sh [Siopa (shop) = shup-ah]
S - before A, O, U sounds ss [Saor (free) = Sare rhyming with dare]
C - is hard [Crua (hard) = Krew'ah]
G - is hard [Glas (green) = 'Gloss']
CH - K like Bach [Éireannach (Irish person) = Air'in-uck]

Is that helpful or is it the actual words themselves that are causing the problems?

Old December 19th, 2007, 8:55 pm
She Who Walks Behind

I want to go to Ireland this year and would like to learn some phrases.
So far I only recognise Cork and Dublin written in Gaelige.

The End of the Dream.
Old December 19th, 2007, 9:11 pm
Fifth Year

Well if you were going to learn any words Baile Átha Cliath [Ball-yah aw-ha klee-ah] is the most important one to be going on with. (If nothing else that will have woken up the rest of them on here against the lone Dubliner)

It's always good to know how to say simple things like Hello and goodbye. They're Dia Duit and Slán. I know they look wierd but they're pronounced Dee-ah Gwitch and Slawn. Dia duit, Is mise Tenshi means Hi, I'm Tenshi (Iss mish'a Tenshi). Go raibh maith agut means thanks and is said guh rev maw a'gut. You know that much and you'll terrify the locals with your knowledge of Irish!

Old December 19th, 2007, 9:20 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Go raibh maith agut

I figured already that things are not pronounced like you'd think they are. It took me some months to get "Aine" right.

The End of the Dream.
Old December 19th, 2007, 9:28 pm
Fifth Year

Tá fáilte romhat, you're welcome [Taw fall-cha row'ut]

You can actually pronounce Áine? Class!! I really and truely think Irish names are the most mispronounced names in the history of modern media *shudders at the attempts at Doherty* I know it seems pretty obvious that words are pronounced different but say if you look at most European languages the letters have close enough sounds but in Irish we like putting lots and lots of vowels or consonants together which confuses people.

And for the education of anyone else reading this Áine just say yawn-ya then take away the y in yawn. Perfect.

Last edited by TheInvisibleF; December 19th, 2007 at 9:36 pm. Reason: spelling
Old December 19th, 2007, 9:33 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Well I always pronounced it like "Aye-hn", but then I found this site. You can click on the lists under Girl Names or Boy Names and hear how it's pronounced.

The End of the Dream.
Old December 19th, 2007, 9:38 pm
Fifth Year

Oh goodie. I can't help myself with name websites. Espicially when they say nice things about my name... Go raibh maith agut, a Thenshi.

Old December 20th, 2007, 2:12 am
Fourth Year

I want to learn this language very badly, but I can't find any classes in it yet, and the pronunciation's too much of a task to try on my own.

Old December 20th, 2007, 5:32 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
Well I always pronounced it like "Aye-hn", but then I found this site. You can click on the lists under Girl Names or Boy Names and hear how it's pronounced.
Hey, I'm glad I read this thread! Thanks for that link! I gave up on ever knowing how to pronounce her name!

Old December 20th, 2007, 6:11 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInvisibleF View Post
www.angaelmagazine.com seems to have some stuff but the resources I can find online seem to be people from the US talking so I'll try to help.
S - before E or I sounds like Sh [Siopa (shop) = shup-ah]
S - before A, O, U sounds ss [Saor (free) = Sare rhyming with dare]
C - is hard [Crua (hard) = Krew'ah]
G - is hard [Glas (green) = 'Gloss']
CH - K like Bach [Éireannach (Irish person) = Air'in-uck]

Is that helpful or is it the actual words themselves that are causing the problems?
It's really some of the letter combinations that cause problems for me. I understand the pronunciations for the bh, ph, mh, etc. I think some of the vowel combinations really throw me off. I picked up a little bit while I was out in Mayo last summer, it took me forever to figure out how Laois was pronounced.

GOFLAMESGO!!!
Old December 20th, 2007, 6:18 am
Fifth Year

Yay! An Irish thread I'm happy! Ta athais orm Haven't spoken Irish much since the leaving cert so it would be good to brush up on it a bit

Because of Edward Cullen...I'm staying single until I find a vampire
Old December 20th, 2007, 7:12 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I started teaching myself a while back, but then I got caught up with other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInvisibleF
Oh goodie. I can't help myself with name websites. Espicially when they say nice things about my name
Behind The Name is a brilliant site.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old December 20th, 2007, 1:16 pm
Fifth Year

pottercomics: If you can't find a place in your area that teaches Irish and really want to learn you can try online. An Doras have the beginning of a course planned but only have the first lesson up so far. In books the Teach Yourself books are decent in other languages for basics, pronunciation, etc. And they have another one for conversation. There's also the Usbourne
books. When we were little my brother and I had this one. I hope one of those could be helpful to you.

pints: Cá raibh tú i Maigh Eo? Where were you in Mayo? The pronunciation of Laois (Leash for the rest of ye) doesn't really matter as it's only one of those midland counties no one cares about. What combinations are you having a problem with? Give us some vowel examples and I'll try it out. I'm flicking through my dictionary looking for combinations.
Some common word endings that might be difficult include
iúil = sounds like ewl. (as in "ew I'm not touching that!!")
nóir = another ending, neither man nor beast
adh = a man
óg = toga
acht/eacht = ok't (gutteral scottish loch with a t at the end. The T doesn't need to slip in one the other letters when you're saying it)

Tá athas orm go bhfiul suim ag an meid seo daoine sa gaeilge mar cheap mé (i dtúsbaire) gur smaoineamh dúr a bhí agam é seo a thosaigh. Is aoibheann liom a bheith ag labhairt agus ag scriobh i teanga eile agus is deis é seo éa dheanamh le daoine atá ag tosnú agus daoine a chuaigh thar lar agus (b'fheidir) a rinne dearmad ar a chuid gaeilge. Go raibh mile maith agaibh.

I'm happy that this many people have an interest in Irish because I thought (at the beginning) that this was a stupid idea. I love speaking and writting in other languages and this is another chance to do it with beginners and people who have travelled and maybe forgotten some Irish. Thanks guys.

mad_druid: níl an suiomh ag obair. The site isn't working.

Old December 20th, 2007, 1:36 pm
Second Year

Gaelic isn't just Irish you know.
It's Scottish also.
Some of my family speak it but sadly as it's a dieing language we forget more and more of it. Most of those who left in the Highland clearances brought it with them.

Can you put down the Gaelic for 'deer'? I always forget that one.

Snape
"I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."
Image: http://hettie-young.deviantart.com/g...craps#/d2wqhyt
by me.
Old December 20th, 2007, 1:47 pm
Fifth Year

Sorry about that. That's why I put "gaeilge" as the title, which is our word for Irish. We call the langage spoken in Scotland Scots Gaelic [Gaeilge Albanach]. Do youse call the Scottish one Gaelic or do you call all those langauges Gaelic? The two languages are very close and the Irish word for deer is fia (fee-ah). Next semester I'll be studying the language of Ireland and Scotland. I'm not sure whether we get to learn some Scots Gaelic but I suppose we'll have to to compare them properly. And don't worry when people talk about dying languages. Sure people say that as much about English in relation to texting as they do about other languages in relation to English!!

EDIT: Another site for pottercomics. It's not as good as their sites for Spanish or French and is a bit all ver the place but for simple phrases it's not bad. I can't listen to the sounds right now because my computer hates me but I'm guessing they'll be in the northern dialect.

Last edited by TheInvisibleF; December 20th, 2007 at 2:15 pm. Reason: because of the wonderful things he does!
Old December 20th, 2007, 2:24 pm
Second Year

They are very similiar, true and most of the speakers remain in Ireland but that's mainly because over here Gaelic is more 'decorative'. My family from Strathnaver learn it. I wish I could learn it- i'm really jealous. I love learning French but i've always wanted to learn Gaelic, it's a really beautiful language.

I always forget the one for deer! Thanks =D

Snape
"I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."
Image: http://hettie-young.deviantart.com/g...craps#/d2wqhyt
by me.
Old December 20th, 2007, 3:02 pm
Knower of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
I want to go to Ireland this year and would like to learn some phrases.
So far I only recognise Cork and Dublin written in Gaelige.
Corcaigh abú!

Tá súil agam tar éis cúpla ranganna sa gaeilge go mbeadh gach éinne mo ainm a rá!

(I hope after a couple of classes everyone will be able to say my name).

Funny thing about Irish, I've found that the spanish and french and other europeans have been able to say irish phrases better than say English, American or Australian etc. I've put this down to other native tongues and accents over letters.

Quote:
And for the education of anyone else reading this Áine just say yawn-ya then take away the y in yawn. Perfect.
I'm not sure I i100% agree, to be honest, I've found the only people who really get Áine right is the irish and then at times it can be a struggle. That explanation though is as good a one as I've seen!

Last edited by Liselle; December 20th, 2007 at 3:05 pm.
Old December 20th, 2007, 3:19 pm
Fifth Year

Corcaigh he he.

Re an t-ainm Áine: Bhí mé a rá 'on-ya' do Meiriceanách atá aithne agam ar ach bhí sí a rá na dhá shiollabal mar... níl a fhios agam... mar dhá shiollable is docha. Ach níl sé ceart mar sin. Scarann siad a focail, ceapaim. Tá an ceart agut faoin Éoraip. Tá cailín gearmanách ar mó chursa agus tá sí in ann cúpla rudaí a labhairt i ngaeilge ceart. B'fheidir tuigeann siad gur teanga eile atá i gceist. Níl muid ag caint Bearla!

North American and Australian accents don't seem to go to well with trying to pronounce Irish words. They pronounce words too much. But then again I saw a clip of the Gaeltacht being set up in Canada and your man spoke Irish that was perfect (except with a Donegal accent).

They had things in the Irish Times around September about a school being set up through Scots Gaelic so is there a bit of a revival going on or is it a selective revival?

Last edited by TheInvisibleF; December 20th, 2007 at 3:21 pm. Reason: because, because, because, because
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab