Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Gaeilge

Old July 19th, 2008, 3:30 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Gaeilge

Well I've never heard of the phrase before. But I'd translate it as 'the one who is walking he is storyful' so probably that he who travels will have lots of stories to tell.

I just checked one of the dictionaries in the house and it gives 'inclined to travel' as one of the translations of siúlach amd 'newsbearing / gossipy' for sceálach. So I was half right at least!

Old July 19th, 2008, 11:48 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer_2005 View Post
Dia duit! Agus Ard Mhacha abu!

Dia duit gach duine! Is mise Debbie agus tá mé i mo chonaí i gcontae Ard Mhacha anois ach tá mé ar freastal Ollscoil Ulaidh i nDoire. Rinne mé Gaeilge do GCSE agus Ardleihbéal ach níl moran gaeilge agam ar chor ar bith. Chuaigh mé go Machaire Rabhartaigh nuair a bhí mé dhá bhlian deag d'aois agus chuaigh mé go Loch an Nuir dhá bhlian ó shin nuair a bhí mé mo Ardleibhéal a dhéanamh.

*wonders how many mistakes she made in that paragraph *
Though I recognise a lot of the words you all have used in this thread but I can't understand most of them

Old July 20th, 2008, 12:14 am
Fifth Year

Dia 's muire duit a miss_gaunt! Ceapaim nach bhfuil móran botún agat. An cursaí gealtachtaí iad Machaire Rabhartaigh agus Loch an Nuir?

Tá an lucht ghaeilge COS ag meadú!

Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:28 pm
Second Year

Dia duit guys! Cad e mar a ta tu? [Does sibh work here if addressing a group of people]

Ta me i mo chonai in Ard Mhacha fosta. Rinne me Gaelige don GCSE ach nach rinne me Geelige do A-Level, so ta mo ghaelige iontach meirgeach!

Its ... 4-5 years since I've said anything like that in Irish, so don't murder me for the mistates. I'm still dusting off the cobwebs from my vocab!

Old August 5th, 2008, 1:49 am
Fifth Year

Dia 's mhuire duit a Geezer! Bhuel, athraíonn Dia Duit go Dia Daoibh.. mar sin ceapaim go athraíonn "cad é mar atá tu" go "atá sibh" ach nílim cinte mar níl móran athna (sp?) agam ar gaeilge Tír Chonail ... nó ar an gramadach! Cad is bre le "iontach meirgeach"? Níl gaeilge líofa no gaeilge duchasach againn anseo. Níl muid ach ag cleachta agus ag usaid an gaeilge mar níl seans againn é a usaid sa saol.

Old August 5th, 2008, 11:10 am
Second Year

Ah! Dia Daoibh! Is cuimhin liom e anois! Go raibh maith agat.

Iontach meirgreach = very rusty.
I'm trying to explain myself i nGaelige, ach nil me abalta! I just made up that rusty phrase, literally from 'very' and 'rusty'.

Old August 5th, 2008, 9:32 pm
Fifth Year

Tuigim anois, Geezer. Na bi rocrua faoi do chuid gaeilge. Le teanga, is ga cleachta a dheanamh gach la ach ta muid cuiseach leisciuil agus ni deanaimid e don gaeilge. Eiriodh se nios fearr.

Old August 6th, 2008, 8:41 pm
Second Year

Kiamar a tha thu? What a great idea about having a language site! I had tried to learn Scottish Gaelic awhile back. Is there a big difference between Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic?

Old August 7th, 2008, 11:57 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Kiamar a tha thu? What a great idea about having a language site! I had tried to learn Scottish Gaelic awhile back. Is there a big difference between Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic?
I'm not sure really. Well for one thing we don't call it Gaelic we call ours Irish or Gaeilge. Scots Gaelic is a form of Irish that has changed since Irish speakers went there in the 5th century (I think). The most similarities are with the Donegal or northern dialect of Irish. For example, the question you asked above (Kiamar a tha thu?) is similar to the Donegal Cad é mar atá tú? I believe the Scots Gaelic is like kay mar ahtaw tu and ours is pronounced codge ay mar ahtaw tu? There are similarities in vocabulary and grammar. I'm not sure about spelling. I think Irish speakers find Scots Gaelic easy to learn to read and write whereas Manx is difficult because it uses the English spelling system.

Old August 8th, 2008, 3:16 am
Second Year

Thanks for the info, TheInvisibleF! Maybe I should learn Irish instead. Even though I am American, some of my ancestry takes me back to County Donegal and County Antrim. I tried irish once but I always had problems trying to learn all of the vowel and consonant combinations though.

Old August 9th, 2008, 4:12 pm
Fifth Year

Did you try it from a book or classes? I think classes are the best idea for beginners but if there are none on your area I suppose you have to go for books. Did you try learning off all the sounds straight away? That doesn't sound fun. My advice is to learn a couple of phrases so you get an idea of the sound of the language. It means you have a context for the sounds and you can think of other, similar, words when learning a new word. There are a few phrases throughout this thread and I think some free simple lessons on iTunes. Go néirí an t-adh leat!

Old August 10th, 2008, 4:49 am
Second Year

Mostly from a book. Of course, this was really no help because it's hard to imitate the sounds that they describe without hearing it.
Thank you for the idea about the free iTunes lessons. I'll have to try that!
Are there any phrases that Irish children learn to help them?
Erin go bragh!!

Old August 10th, 2008, 11:18 pm
Fifth Year

Well children start learning when they go to primary school so we start with simple things like hello/goodbye/please/thank you/ can I go to the bathroom. Here's a collection we put together earlier in the thread. If you want to hear some Irish go to YouTube and look up Carlsberg Irish Ad. I would link it but it's for drink. In the related videos you can see other people speaking Irish.
Quote:
Dia Duit Hello [Dee-ah Gwitch]
Dia 's Muire Duit Response to 'Dia Duit' [dee iss murah gwitch]
Slán Goodbye [Slawn].
Is mise TheInvisibleFiend I'm TheInvisibleFiend [Iss mish'a ...]
Go raibh maith agut thanks [said guh rev maw a'gut]
Tá fáilte romhat, you're welcome [Taw fall-cha row'ut]
Fia deer [fee-ah]
Nollaig shona duit Happy Christmas (Nuh-lig HO-nuh ghwich)
Nollaig faoi shéan is faoi mhaise duit A prosperous and pleasant Christmas
[Nu-lig fwee washa qwitch]
Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit/doibh A prosperous new year (singular/plural) [AH vlee-ihn fwee WAH-shuh Gwitch/ Heev]

Old August 11th, 2008, 6:14 am
Second Year

Ah, those were cool videos! That really helps being able to listen to it and imitate it.
Go raibh maith agut!

Old August 11th, 2008, 11:04 pm
First Year

I've been living in Dublin the last 3 years (school and now studying) and I have some friends down in Cork and Limerick and noticed that they often have discussions about how to speak certain things in Gaelic, apparently the Munster version of Irish sounds slightly different from the Leinster version of it, is that true? Is it the dialect they speak in?

Old August 11th, 2008, 11:27 pm
Knower of things

absolutely true. Stáir na Gaeilge for the leaving cert (at least for honours anyway) deals with that. There are quite a number of dialects, broadly there is the munster, ulster, leinster and connaught dialects but even within those there are some more.

It's like any other language really, think of the difference between a Cork accent and a Dublin accent, the same thing applies in Irish!

Old August 12th, 2008, 12:33 am
First Year

Dia duit gach duine! Is maith liom bheith ag caint as Gaeilge! Nil me liofa ach is maith liom rang gailge sa scoil, ce go bhfuil se deacar!

Old August 17th, 2008, 11:19 pm
Knower of things

Go h-iontach!

Old August 18th, 2008, 2:19 pm
Fifth Year

Dia 's muire duit, PrincessJaffa. Carbh as duit? Is brea liom nuair a deireann daoine is maith leo a bheith ag caint (no ag scriobh!) as gaeilge agus siad fos ar scoil mar bionn gach duine a ra go bhfuil an coras oideachas ag dunmaru an teanga.

WandStoneCloak, yeah there is a difference in pronunciation and even in vocabulary between Donegal, Galway, and Munster. As far as I remember when they were making the caighdean/standard Irish that they taught in schoools for years it was mostly from Munster so Dublin and Munster probably has the most links. For example, in Galway they talk about fatai but in Munster it's pratai and most pupils learnt pratai.

Old September 9th, 2008, 9:51 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInvisibleF View Post
WandStoneCloak, yeah there is a difference in pronunciation and even in vocabulary between Donegal, Galway, and Munster. As far as I remember when they were making the caighdean/standard Irish that they taught in schoools for years it was mostly from Munster so Dublin and Munster probably has the most links. For example, in Galway they talk about fatai but in Munster it's pratai and most pupils learnt pratai.
Dia dhíobh gach duine! Tá súil agam go bhfuil sibh ceart go leor inniu! Inniu, chonaic mé an chómhrá seo, agus tá bród an domhain orm an Gaeilge a labhairt anseo sa Chamber of Secrets. Níl líofacht iontach agam fós, agus sin tar éis an Ardteist, ach táim sásta cúpla focail a bheith agam, gan amhras.

As for varying pronunciations, I think the most hypocritical thing ever is that we pupils from the South claim not to be able to understand the Donegal dialect, when the poor folk in Donegal have to live with our accents for 90% longer than we have to decipher theirs. It's a bit backwards!

THE DUCK.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab