Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Welsh

Old December 23rd, 2007, 7:59 pm
Student

Welsh

Oes yna unrhyw un sy gallu siarad Cymraeg yma?

That's Welsh for "Is there anyone who can speak Welsh here?". If so, please chat! If not, stick around if you'd like to learn! I'm fluent, I go to a Welsh school, am in top set for Welsh and will be taking it Higher Tier GCSE in Year Eleven!

Felly, dewch 'mlaen! Paid a fod yn swil, dewch i siarad!

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:22 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: Welsh

I'm a little interested in Welsh, as I'd like to visit Wales someday. ^^

Old January 9th, 2008, 11:58 am
Sixth Year

OK, what's hello is Welsh? We don't have enough money to go to Wales or anything, but I do like to learn a new language

Old January 21st, 2008, 3:35 am
First Year

I want to learn Welsh, but they don't offer it as a course where I go to school.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:23 pm
First Year

Dwi'n siarad Cymaeg hefyd, neis cwrdd a ti! Beth yw dy oed di? O ble yng Nghymru wyt ti'n dod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post
OK, what's hello is Welsh? We don't have enough money to go to Wales or anything, but I do like to learn a new language
We tend to use 'helo' or 'shwmae'.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 3:39 pm
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Okay, now that there's a thread on Welsh...

There was something I was wondering a while back, after picking up a book on Welsh for the heck of it:

In Monty Python and the Holy Grail, when King Arthur and his knights are all saying "Ni!", but Sir Bedevere keeps saying "Nu!" instead... could that be a joke about Welsh spellings and pronunciations?

(The book that I'd picked up said that the written letter U sounds kind of like EE in Welsh.)

Old January 23rd, 2008, 5:17 pm
First Year

You're right that U in Welsh does sound like EE. Shamefully, I've never seen Monty Python so I'm not sure if it is a joke about Welsh pronounciation, it sounds like it could be.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 5:25 pm
Third Year

im welsh but i barely speak any. I think its an amazing language though

[center]SEEING OTHER PEOPLE
~Rose and Scorpius' story about love~
Old January 24th, 2008, 1:48 am
First Year

i love Welsh & want to learn how to speak it, 'cause my paternal grandmother's maiden name was Welsh:"Rees" (came from "Rhys", pronounced by our family like "Reese". Would love to learn a little more Welsh here & there.--harryfreak57

Old January 24th, 2008, 4:32 pm
Suteki da ne

I live in Wales and go to a Welsh uni, but can't speak a lot of Welsh. I got an A at GCSE for it, but that was almost 6 years ago now and I still haven't got a clue how I did it!

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old February 4th, 2008, 9:49 pm
Fifth Year

Angie...is that Orlando Bloom in your sig??? If so

Anyway, I don't learn Welsh, but I've been to Wales and in the future may go to Bangor Universtiy in Wales. I was just wondering about pronunciation. Am I right in thinking that "dd" in Welsh sounds like "th" in english? Could someone write a Welsh sentence which contains a lot of "interesting" sounds and then write an English phonetic version of it underneath? Thanks in advance!

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old February 6th, 2008, 4:58 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFinch View Post

Anyway, I don't learn Welsh, but I've been to Wales and in the future may go to Bangor Universtiy in Wales. I was just wondering about pronunciation. Am I right in thinking that "dd" in Welsh sounds like "th" in english? Could someone write a Welsh sentence which contains a lot of "interesting" sounds and then write an English phonetic version of it underneath? Thanks in advance!
Yep it is indeed Orlando!
'dd' in Welsh is similar to 'th' in English but is a slightly harder sound.
I would write a sentence for you but I have no knowledge of phonetics so I'll leave it to someone else!

Old February 6th, 2008, 8:12 pm
Fifth Year

Cool...and I am now drooling over your sig!

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old February 21st, 2008, 7:01 pm
Winning Teamster

Well, I am a bit of a failed Welsh learner... I live in Wales and tried to learn Welsh for a year when I arrived here three years ago. Then other things came up, I had to drop the course, and I forgot most of it again.

I can still write

Dw i'n byw yn Abertawe (I live in Swansea) which I think looks pretty cool.

Welsh spelling, by the way, makes a lot more sense than English spelling, since it is almost phonetical - well, with the exception of the 'y', which can take on various sounds.....

Anyway - what a COOL language, but unbelievably hard. I have learned a few languages, including ancient Greek, and Welsh really made me go quite a few times - especially since it has a few features you wouldn't expect in an indoeuropean language ... I mean, who'd think of conjugating prepositions?

Anyway - it is a truly amazing language... absolutely beautiful to listen to.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic

Last edited by Klio; February 21st, 2008 at 7:05 pm.
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:06 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Wow...you have to conjugate prepositions? That sounds extremely difficult. ><;

I've never heard of a language where you have to conjugate prepositions. Verbs yeah, but prepositions? They speak English in Wales too, right? I'm pretty certain they do. Maybe I should stick to basic "tourist" phrases. lol

Old February 25th, 2008, 1:05 am
Winning Teamster

Yes, all Welsh people speak perfectly good English - in a way that is sad, because it makes it very difficult to get enough practice to ever remember the language! That's one of my problems!

But since I am not a native speaker of English, either, it seems almost crazy to learn such a hard language just to converse with people whose English is inevitably also better than mine!!

But it is a beautioful language and absolutely worth learning, IMHO.

Concerning the prepositions - well, some commonly used ones do change with the person you are using them with. Not sure how else to explain it. Apparently Hebrew does the same thing, people tell me....

so for example, here is the Welsh word for 'on'

on me = arna i
on you = arnat ti
on him = arno fe
on her = arni hi
on us = arnon ni
on you = arnoch chi
on them = arnyn nhw

See? changes with the person, like a verb. So I am assuming one calls this conjugating?

Another fun thing are the possessives.... you have to change the beginning of the word.... and sometimes there is part of the preposition after it as well, but i can't quite remember how that goes.... It's particularly weird when you have a short word, because it becomes hardly recogniseable once you do this....

If I remember correctly, 'ci' means dog, and this is how you talk about or to people woning a dog:

my dog = fy nghi
your dog = dy gi
his dog = ei gi
her dog = ei chi

hehe.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old March 7th, 2008, 2:47 pm
Suteki da ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFinch View Post

I go to Bangor university...I'm there right now

I saw something interesting- Stephen King's new book is called Duma Key, and in my mind that's phonetic for "here's the dog" in welsh...

Anyway, Dw i'n byw ym Mangor, ond dw i'n gwybod mwy o siarad, as you can tell, cos I don't think I've got that bit right. I was trying to say that I know more than I speak...

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Last edited by Schlubalybub; March 7th, 2008 at 2:50 pm.
Old April 8th, 2008, 5:59 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
Dwi'n siarad Cymaeg hefyd, neis cwrdd a ti! Beth yw dy oed di? O ble yng Nghymru wyt ti'n dod?

We tend to use 'helo' or 'shwmae'.
Where I come from, we don't use "shwmae". Are you from the South? In the North (the parts that I'm from, anyway), we say "Bore da", "P'nawn da" or "Noswaith da", depending on the time of day, "Helo" and sometimes "Sy'mae?", which is like saying "how are you" to us.

Dwi'n gwybod yr oeddet yn siarad i HugForLupin, ond rydw i yn 13 mlwydd oed ac rwy'n dod o'r Gogledd Orllewin, rhyw awr de o Fangor.

Dydw i ddim yn da iawn at ysgrifennu'n Cymraeg, ond iaith cyntaf - wel, iaith ail, ond mae'r ysgol yn ddweud mae iaith cyntaf fi yw e - fi i siarad yw Cymraeg. Dwi'n Saesneg, ond symudais i Cymru fel plentyn ifanc a dysgais y iaith yn yr ysgol.

Old April 15th, 2008, 12:54 pm
First Year

Ydw dwi'n dod o'r de, tua 20 munud o Gaerdydd. Doedden ni ddim yn sylweddoli eich bod chi ddim yn dweud 'shwmae' yn y gogledd.
Mae dy Gymraeg ysgrifenedig di'n dda!

Old April 16th, 2008, 3:28 am
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

I would absolutely love to learn Welsh. I tried on my own in high school for a while but it was hard going when I was learning from a website. This website, in fact. I used "Catchphrase" for a while but I had to focus on studies and dropped learning Welsh.

I do remember the different ways to say hello, though. I can't remember the spelling all the time though.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab