Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Welsh

Old May 20th, 2008, 7:30 pm
First Year

Re: Welsh

Helo, oes yna unrhywun ar lein rwan sy'n siarad Cymraeg? Sut wyt ti?

If you don't speak Welsh, I just said Hello, is there anyone online that speaks Welsh? How are you?

Here are a few Welsh basics that might help you if you are completely and utterly lost:
Helo = Hello
Pryd yw dy penblwydd di? = When is your birthday?
Sut wyt ti? = How are you?
Faint oed wyt ti? = How old are you?
Lle wyt ti'n byw? = Where do you live?

The language is, of course, more complicated than that, especially if you're learning it, but I hope I've helped some people in some way.

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2008, 7:41 pm
First Year

i'm welsh and lived here all my life. But i don't know how to speak it

Old May 20th, 2008, 7:54 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePottyPotter View Post

Dwi'n siarad Cymraeg, neis i gwrdd a ti! Dwi'n iawn diolch, sut wyt ti? O ble yng Nghymru wyt ti'n dod?

Old May 30th, 2008, 4:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
Dwi'n siarad Cymraeg, neis i gwrdd a ti! Dwi'n iawn diolch, sut wyt ti? O ble yng Nghymru wyt ti'n dod?
Helo! Mae'r TPP a fi yn byw yn Ngogledd Nghymru, felly rydan ni'n gogs! Ond rwy'n Saesneg go iawn!!! Ond pan rydw i ar fy ngwyliau yn Lloegr, rwy'n troi yn Cymraes balch!!!!!! Beth yw Cymraeg am "lol"? Chwerthin allan yn swnllyd - CAS!!!!

LMBO (laughing my bum off) - CFPF
ROFL - RALC
G2G - RMM (Rhaid Mi Mynd!)

Pirates are all we can be!
Old June 28th, 2008, 6:22 pm
First Year

I'm writing a series that takes place in Wales, so naturally, I'm very interested in learning Welsh (a lot of the characters speak fluent Welsh). I've heard it spoken, and I find it beautiful. The only thing that has given me a hard time in learning so far, is the double L's. I can't for the life of me try to figure out how to say them or how they should sound!!

I've tried listening to a few people... like recordings on the net. They seem to sound kind of like a mix between an 'h' sound, 'sh' sound, 'th' sound... and something else. Every time I think I have it I realise it's a little too this or that, and it's driving me insane!!
Other than that, I love this language.

But what does a 'll' sound like? Do I just have to find someone I know who speaks welsh? Because that might be hard since I live in Canada. Maybe I should go get some learning CD's or something...

Old June 28th, 2008, 7:12 pm
Fourth Year

Yeah, I love listening to Welsh. My tongue is too dementedly English speaking to learn it though

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

° ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old July 15th, 2008, 7:18 pm
First Year

Shwmae! Sut dych'chi? CharityBurbage Dw'i. Dwi'n byw yn Ontario.

Okay... I have NO idea if that made any sense!! I tried to make up sentences by myself so please tell me if (how) I'm wrong! Thanks. Diolch.

Old August 28th, 2008, 11:32 am
Suteki da ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_McGonagall View Post
But what does a 'll' sound like? Do I just have to find someone I know who speaks welsh? Because that might be hard since I live in Canada. Maybe I should go get some learning CD's or something...
To pronounce the "Ll" sound you place the tip of your tongue up to the roof of your mouth and make a sort of hissing sound through the open sides of your tongue...it sounds a bit odd, but it's the only way of explaining it

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old September 21st, 2008, 4:15 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
To pronounce the "Ll" sound you place the tip of your tongue up to the roof of your mouth and make a sort of hissing sound through the open sides of your tongue...it sounds a bit odd, but it's the only way of explaining it
Yes, that┤s pretty much how the mother of my Liverpool landlord (she is a native Welsh speaker from Snowdonia) explained it to me as well. The result sounds like a mixture of a sharp "th" (as in "maths", NOT as in "the") and a "l" at the same time. Her husband is English and speaks fluent Welsh, but this is one sound even he doesn┤t get perfectly straight, his pronunciation sounds more like "th-l" than like that mixture.

Oh yeah, and you pronounce each of the vowels in Welsh "as is", no fusions like in English. It┤s a bit like Spanish in that regard, except for the "u" you have to pronounce like "ee".

Example: Dolgellau = DolgeTHLaee

Being the crazy language nerd I am, I just had to try the "ll" sound out as well... and after some practice I did get it right, however only when I pronounce that sound on its own - almost never in a word/phrase.

One Welsh place name I┤m finding really hard to pronounce: Machynthlleth. You have to switch around from ch (which sounds much like the German "ch") to th to THL to th... arrgh, this keeps getting my tongue into a knot.

(Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire')

My Snape fanfics: Reflections (F&B), The Red Light of the Sun (F&B), The Trapdoor Trials 1, 2, 3 (in "Snape's POV 2"),
Greetings from Down Under and An Unusual Patronus ... are hereby shamelessly advertised

Last edited by Serpentine; September 21st, 2008 at 4:22 pm.
Old September 24th, 2008, 4:56 pm
Fourth Year

Oh, I think Welsh is a beautiful language! It would be fun to learn it, I think, but I would have to learn it from a person I could talk to, not from a web course or something like that... But, is the grammar and the pronouncing difficult?

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

ŚNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old September 30th, 2008, 5:19 pm
Suteki da ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Yes, that┤s pretty much how the mother of my Liverpool landlord (she is a native Welsh speaker from Snowdonia) explained it to me as well. The result sounds like a mixture of a sharp "th" (as in "maths", NOT as in "the") and a "l" at the same time. Her husband is English and speaks fluent Welsh, but this is one sound even he doesn┤t get perfectly straight, his pronunciation sounds more like "th-l" than like that mixture.

Oh yeah, and you pronounce each of the vowels in Welsh "as is", no fusions like in English. It┤s a bit like Spanish in that regard, except for the "u" you have to pronounce like "ee".

Example: Dolgellau = DolgeTHLaee

Being the crazy language nerd I am, I just had to try the "ll" sound out as well... and after some practice I did get it right, however only when I pronounce that sound on its own - almost never in a word/phrase.

One Welsh place name I┤m finding really hard to pronounce: Machynthlleth. You have to switch around from ch (which sounds much like the German "ch") to th to THL to th... arrgh, this keeps getting my tongue into a knot.
Don't worry...I can't pronounce it properly either, and I've been there

When I try and pronounce it it sound rude lol

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old October 28th, 2008, 11:55 pm
Fifth Year

Bore da, all! Dw i Marina--and that's all I know of the Welsh language for now...but I'm interested in learning the language (perhaps because of my Welsh ancestry).

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old October 29th, 2008, 1:12 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePottyPotter View Post

If you don't speak Welsh, I just said Hello, is there anyone online that speaks Welsh? How are you?

Here are a few Welsh basics that might help you if you are completely and utterly lost:
Helo = Hello
Pryd yw dy penblwydd di? = When is your birthday?
Sut wyt ti? = How are you?
Faint oed wyt ti? = How old are you?
Lle wyt ti'n byw? = Where do you live?

The language is, of course, more complicated than that, especially if you're learning it, but I hope I've helped some people in some way.
No, I can't speek welsh but it looks intresting!

Poor iphone...

"Feel the fear and do it anyway because even though it's not too late now, someday it will be."
Old November 1st, 2008, 4:13 am
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityBurbage View Post
Shwmae! Sut dych'chi? CharityBurbage Dw'i. Dwi'n byw yn Ontario.

Okay... I have NO idea if that made any sense!! I tried to make up sentences by myself so please tell me if (how) I'm wrong! Thanks. Diolch.
I guess no-one has answered this ... but to me this looks perfectly Welsh. That's about as much as I learned, unfortunately....

Dwi'n byw yn Abertawe.

And that's why I am here.

You all have to look at this!!!!!

The explanation is here

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old November 4th, 2008, 5:55 pm
First Year

I saw that article the other day, hilarious!!

Old November 26th, 2008, 7:08 pm
Suteki da ne

I saw that on the news, and in the Daily Post. I showed it to someone who I work with, but then realised they couldn't speak Welsh

It might be because I know what it says, but surely you'd have run it passed a Welsh speaker...maybe I'm just too sensible...

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old November 26th, 2008, 10:08 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
I saw that on the news, and in the Daily Post. I showed it to someone who I work with, but then realised they couldn't speak Welsh

It might be because I know what it says, but surely you'd have run it passed a Welsh speaker...maybe I'm just too sensible...
LOL.... but that's just it!! They WERE running it past a Welsh speaker, and that went badly wrong.

Obviously, they sent an e-mail with the English text to the Welsh translation unit, but unfortunately, the person was oput of office and (frankly stupidly, seeing that they'd obviously get e-mails from Eglish speakers who don't know Welsh) only had an 'out of office' message in Welsh.

The Englosh speaking person in the signage department (also rather stupidly) somehow thought that the text they received WAS the translation (do translations really come without any commentary in English, as in, 'Dear Jane, here is the translation, yours, Huw'?!).

Anyway - one can't say that they didn't try!

... or that's how I see it.

I have seen similar miscommunication issues with the Welsh translation unit at Swansea University, but usually there are a few minimum checks to ensure that things are correct. And the Welsh language unit does actually consent to communicating in English when they talk to people who need translations (doh!).

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old November 28th, 2008, 10:45 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Other confusing signs:

- In 2006, a shared-faith school in Wrexham removed a sign which translated the Welsh for staff as "wooden stave".

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old November 28th, 2008, 2:06 pm
Suteki da ne

Hehe, I liked that one too

Around here we don't tend to get a lot of mistakes with the Welsh signs. I don't know why that is though

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old December 8th, 2008, 10:56 am
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Hehe, I liked that one too

Around here we don't tend to get a lot of mistakes with the Welsh signs. I don't know why that is though

Well, I'd say it's pretty obvious.

In areas where there aren't actually that many Welsh speakers - Swansea and Cardiff come to mind, for example, it's almost inevitable.

Yes, people in public jobs are supposed to speak it, but that's pretty basic, and not a level where you can produce texts without error. And from what my Welsh colleague (who writes his academic books in Welsh and was for a while a member of the assembly's Welsh language board) tells me, we get plenty of bilingual Welsh speakers who are perfectly fluent, but also aren't all that good at producing good written Welsh, either. Which isn't surprising, because there are plenty of English speakers who couldn't produce a lot of correct English, either - especially if it's something official.

In addition to that, if our Welsh translation unit is anything to go by, individuals in such departments can be quite unhelpful because they seem to be concerned with grinding axes rather than making sure that the language is actually used correctly. That apparent example of someone whose job it is to communicate with non-Welsh speakers not having the 'out of office' automated e-mail message in BOTH languages says it all, IMHO.

I like Welsh as a language. But as a foreigner (from the Continent) who has been living in Wales for some years now I still don't like the politics of Welsh.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw

Last edited by Klio; December 8th, 2008 at 10:59 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab