我也是一个中文人
does evryone understand that?

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2008, 2:32 am
First Year

Re: Chinese (中文)

ya...lol

EVERYBODY:VOTE FOR LUNA/DOBBY HERE!
Come on...you know you wanna! Gurdyroots, Nargles, Funny sock day! You know you wanna! Vote Luna/Dobby!
Luna/Dobby's Spotlight Thread: Socks+Serenity!!!
(sig pic made by Rell)
Old December 5th, 2008, 2:25 am
First Year

Chinese is awesome! I'm glad I'm chinese! 中文加油!

Old January 29th, 2009, 11:52 am
First Year

I am chinese and I speak Mandarin.
我是中国人,我说中文(普通话)。

Chinese here means 中国人,not 中文人". O(∩_∩)O~~~

For me and for most chinese people I think , Mandarin(普通话) is "中文, and Cantonese (广东话) is only one dialect of some regions of china.

PS: Listen chinese songs is a way to learn Chinese!
chinese here means "中文 .

Old May 30th, 2009, 3:23 am
Third Year

我喜歡能講多國語言! (很抱歉,再次,我不能正確地拼寫,以任何語言! )

Old July 11th, 2009, 10:46 am
First Year

it is amazing to see chinese language in HP forum. Chinese(mandarin) is my first language. And I can understand a litter Cantonese just because I watch many TVB dramas....HUG

大家好,很高兴在哈波论坛见到各位!

[staff edit - inappropriate content]

Old July 31st, 2009, 12:02 am
First Year

I have decided to take Mandarin Chinese as for my language credit in High School, and I'm a bit worried. Is it really as hard as people say it is?

Old August 5th, 2009, 2:28 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleRoar View Post
I have decided to take Mandarin Chinese as for my language credit in High School, and I'm a bit worried. Is it really as hard as people say it is?
I think it is significantly more difficult than other languages like Spanish/French/German.

Speaking-wise, there's several different "tones" in Chinese, as opposed to one tone in English. So if you didn't learn the tones when you were little it's really really difficult to learn to say them. Unless you practice for years you'll always have an accent.

Reading/writing-wise, well I think it's pretty obvious that the characters are ridiculously difficult.

Not to scare you out of it though! I definitely think it's a great idea for people to learn Chinese, as there are a billion Chinese people in this world and it will soon become a VERY valuable language to know.

Also, I don't think the "grammar" is as tricky as like, Spanish for example. I don't even know if there technically is "grammar."

"Always." - Severus Snape

Old August 7th, 2009, 11:07 am
First Year

I'm from Hong Kong, but my Chinese kinda sucks . My mum's Taiwanese, so I speak Mandarin in a Taiwanese accent, and I know a bit of Taiwan dialect.

Old October 4th, 2009, 5:17 am
First Year

I have been studying Mandarin Chinese for over three years now and while it is incredibly difficult, it is something I really enjoy. I am going to be majoring in Asian Studies and Chinese. My Chinese is not that good at the moment, but I am working on it.

Old November 24th, 2009, 1:19 pm
First Year

Hello, fans of Harry Potter I'm a Singaporean Chinese and here in my country, over 70% of the population are of Chinese origin, but sadly, countless Chinese families here do not speak Chinese. In fact, they RESENT the language... I think Chinese is beautiful, as long as you have the heart to learn and explore! So to RumbleRoar, learning Mandarin is definitely a choice well-made!

Old February 13th, 2010, 11:20 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Nemen xin nian kuai le

(Sorry if my grammar is wrong - I'm very new to speaking Mandarin )

My Fanfic - The Silver Thread - (WIP) updated 03/07/09

Sig by the most professional, clever & witty Boushh
(Original photo-manipulation of AR by helin)
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:27 am
First Year

Quote:
So, to start with basics, how would I say "hello" in whichever version of Chinese anyone feels like teaching me?
Mandarin:你好ni hao(just pronounce as english words)/ni'hau/

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Old July 14th, 2010, 3:52 pm
Second Year

Mandarin is one of my other language loves. I can do the accent quite well, which is strange, especially seeing as when I attempt to pronounce Cantonese words accurately, I am not even close.

I love a sunburnt country...
Old July 20th, 2010, 6:07 pm
First Year

Wow, I never knew there's a Chinese thread in here.
I am from HK and I speak fluent Cantonese and Mandarin.
I wonder if you all are interested in learning "Harry Potter" in Chinese. :P
Well, it's:
哈利(Harry)
Mandarin: ha li
Cantonese: Ha Lei
波特(Potter)
Mandarin: Po Te
Cantonese: Por Tuc

HAHAHA.

Old September 24th, 2010, 6:43 am
First Year

Well I like Mandarin language, I think that Mandarin is the official language of the People's Republic of China and Taiwan, as well as one of four official languages of Singapore. According to my point of view, I think that Mandarin was originally the language spoken by Chinese officials, most of whom came from Beijing.

Old December 4th, 2010, 2:35 am
Banned

Ni hao ma? Wo ai hanyu! (Chinese, not Korean )
I"m taking it at school and it is one of the most amazing languages

Old July 23rd, 2011, 2:37 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by doepatr0nus View Post
I think it is significantly more difficult than other languages like Spanish/French/German.

Speaking-wise, there's several different "tones" in Chinese, as opposed to one tone in English. So if you didn't learn the tones when you were little it's really really difficult to learn to say them. Unless you practice for years you'll always have an accent.

Reading/writing-wise, well I think it's pretty obvious that the characters are ridiculously difficult.

Not to scare you out of it though! I definitely think it's a great idea for people to learn Chinese, as there are a billion Chinese people in this world and it will soon become a VERY valuable language to know.

Also, I don't think the "grammar" is as tricky as like, Spanish for example. I don't even know if there technically is "grammar."
Very old post to reply to, I know, but I did want to respond to the last bit here: Chinese very certainly does have grammar. Grammar is simply a set of rules governing what utterances are permissible, and which aren't. Granted, permissibility isn't legislated as it is in French, but there are certainly utterances containing Chinese characters that no one would ever say normally. You can't just rearrange characters willy-nilly and still end up with a meaningful Chinese sentence. So to that extent, there is certainly grammar.

What Chinese lacks, for the most part, is morphology--inflections, like conjugations and declensions. Chinese does not inflect for person, tense, voice, or even number, for the most part. These are all indicated by context, by particles (separate characters) in the sentence, by auxiliary verbs, etc.

Chinese generally follows SVO sentence order, much as English does. The "neutral" way of saying "I've read that book" is

我看過那本書。 Wo3 kan4 guo4 na4 ben3 shu1.
I read [perfective] that [measure word] book.

Perfective here means that 過 is an auxiliary verb (as a standalone verb, it means "to pass across") that indicates the action has completed. Measure word: Chinese often requires measure words when referring to countable nouns like books. It's sort of like saying "three pairs of pants" instead of "three pants." The difference is that whereas in English, you can say "three pants" (although it's slightly less idiomatic to do so), you can't omit the measure word in Chinese. It has to be there. Ergo, it's grammar.

Now, then, back to the example sentence. Other readings are possible. One can write

那本書我看過。 Na4 ben3 shu1 wo3 kan4 guo4.
That [measure word] book I read [perfective].

It means basically the same thing, but emphasizes that it's that book that I've read. For this reason (and others), Chinese is often referred to as a topic-assertion language: A sentence is often divided into two parts. The first part is the topic of the sentence. Often, it's the subject, the actor of the verb, but sometimes, as here, it's the object, the target of the verb. The second part (here, "I've read") is the assertion made about the topic.

The rules governing these various constructions are what constitute Chinese grammar.

The tones do appear to be a problem for many students, but others pick it up just fine. I've met some 外國人 (wai4 guo2 ren2, "Westerners"--literally, "outworlders," sort of) who sound just like native speakers. It is certainly possible to do it. Teaching has a lot to do with it; I've seen the way the tones are sometimes taught, and it's designed to work with children. It won't work with adults, who already have all this English baggage to deal with. Adults really have to be taught the tones differently, I think.

EDIT: By the way, I should say that the above all has to do with Mandarin. Because we often speak of the various "dialects" of Chinese: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, etc., one sometimes gets the impression that they're just variations of a unified language (much as we have New England versus Southern American English, broadly speaking). The dialects of Chinese, however, are much more different than those are. The three I mentioned are broad dialect groups that are all mutually unintelligible. The character pronunciations are different, they use different vocabulary (to a lesser extent), and they even have somewhat different grammar. The situation is more like the Romance languages in western Europe, except that the Chinese dialect groups still have a cultural unity that isn't there in western Europe.

Last edited by BrianTung; August 2nd, 2011 at 4:53 pm.
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:51 pm
First Year

天河区 我哦人了 isnt 是我饿饿他! the world isnt sweet

Old August 5th, 2011, 11:58 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyLipGloss View Post
天河区 我哦人了 isnt 是我饿饿他! the world isnt sweet
Sorry, I don't follow?

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab