Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Icelandic

Old February 6th, 2008, 12:48 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Icelandic

Gan daginn! g er sk en g er a lra slensku. Any Icelanders out there or other people learning Icelandic?

Old February 10th, 2008, 6:24 am
First Year

Re: Icelandic

I sadly don't know very much, but I would LOVE to learn it. Anyone know of any good sources for learning it?

Old February 11th, 2008, 9:11 am

Try out the self-learning course "Colloquial Icelandic" by Daisy L. Neijmann. It is very good, but you have to keep at it on a regular basis. I have been using it for the past four months, half an hour everyday. Otherwise, there is one single evening classs in London and I am taking that one now.

Old February 12th, 2008, 12:49 am
First Year

Thanks for the recommendation! I will definitely check that out...and perhaps return in a few months to practice with you.

Old February 12th, 2008, 8:40 am

Gjru svo vel! (Go ahead). You might also want to check out www.ifelag.co.uk (if you ever come to the UK) for activities organised by the Icelandic community here and www.icelandic.hi.is for a free online course in Icelandic. Tell me what you think! I have also managed to find myself some Icelandic e-mail pals and I try to write as much in Icelandic as I can.

Old February 12th, 2008, 11:04 am
First Year

For the moment, I haven't been able to find the book you mentioned, but I shall keep looking. Thanks for the other information too! I've occasionally check out the free Icelandic course when I can.

...for now...I take my leave!

Old February 12th, 2008, 11:22 am

Allt lagi (OK). You can get the book from www.amazon.co.uk, just make sure to get the tapes and CDs as well. You can sometimes find this book on ebay as well, but maybe not from the USA, but from Europe.

Gangi r vel! (Good luck!)

Old February 12th, 2008, 3:06 pm
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania View Post
Allt lagi (OK). You can get the book from www.amazon.co.uk, just make sure to get the tapes and CDs as well. You can sometimes find this book on ebay as well, but maybe not from the USA, but from Europe.

Gangi r vel! (Good luck!)
No, it's definitely available in the US. The Los Angeles Public Library has it.
(But that doesn't really help you in Omaha unless your library has a good interlibrary loan program.)

Old February 12th, 2008, 4:35 pm
First Year

J, g er fr slandi og tala slensku! Hvernig gengur a lra slenskuna?

Cool, I didn't think anyone would ever consider to make a thread about Icelandic! and I think it is suberb that you said "lra slensku" not "lra slenska" because "a lra" controls accusativus! Good job. Icelandic is a very complicated language because the verbs, the nouns... everything is irregular. OR at least, there are very few regular verbs that are completely regular.

Old February 13th, 2008, 9:00 am

@irpa: Takk. A lra slensku ganga vel.

Cool to have an Icelander on this forum to respond! Laufa (from this forum) is also Icelandic. I don't think Icelandic is as difficult as some other languages (I know some Russian and once tried to learn some Chinese), but I think that the grammar is not too different from my own mother tongue (German).

I am known for being interested in more "unusual" stuff.

Old February 13th, 2008, 3:25 pm
First Year

Quote:
@irpa: Takk. A lra slensku ganga vel.

Cool to have an Icelander on this forum to respond! Laufa (from this forum) is also Icelandic. I don't think Icelandic is as difficult as some other languages (I know some Russian and once tried to learn some Chinese), but I think that the grammar is not too different from my own mother tongue (German).

I am known for being interested in more "unusual" stuff.
Aww, I had written this superb answer and then my browser decides to... do something really funny and I lost the answer...

But anywho, I think Icelandic is far harder than f.ex. danish and english. In my school in Iceland there was a whole year dedicated to verbs, their forms and so on, and then again when I started in college. And all the forms in the nouns and so on... compared even to Latin, I think Icelandic is harder because there is hardly ever something regular

But: Takk. A lra slensku ganga vel. is understandable but incorrect. a gengur vel a lra slensku. is the correct form

Old February 14th, 2008, 8:59 am

@irpa: Takk. I just realised that, we learned to conjugate the verb "a ganga" in our class last night. We spend a lot of time on verbs. As "heimavinna" we have to write a text about our daily life: "g vakna klukkan 7.00..." It's challenging, but I love it, frbrt!

Hvaan ertu? Hvar ttu heima slandi? Mig langa a skoa Reykjavk og Akureyri.

Old February 15th, 2008, 1:23 pm
First Year

Quote:
@irpa: Takk. I just realised that, we learned to conjugate the verb "a ganga" in our class last night. We spend a lot of time on verbs. As "heimavinna" we have to write a text about our daily life: "g vakna klukkan 7.00..." It's challenging, but I love it, frbrt!

Hvaan ertu? Hvar ttu heima slandi? Mig langa a skoa Reykjavk og Akureyri.
g heima slandi, Reykjavk. ar er mjg fallegt sumrin en nna er snjr og s t um allt. Akureyri er rosalega fallegur br.

Yes, I live in Iceland, in Reykjavik. It is beautiful in the summer but now there is snow and ice everywhere. (not so cool, hard to walk without being in serious danger). Akureyri is a very beautiful town, small but very beautiful. You should come and visit Iceland some day And try to talk Icelandic. Most Icelander are thrilled when a tourist tries to talk Icelandic! I love my country, in the summer... in the winter it gets dark and cold. Don't like that part very much

Old February 15th, 2008, 3:37 pm

@irpa: It looks like I am slowly improving, I understood everything you wrote in Icelandic!

That's the main reason I am learning Icelandic, I want to get to know the people when I go there and the best way to do that is by learning the language! You should have seen the face of Garar r Cortes when I greeted him in Icelandic at the signing after his concert!

At the moment I am studying the vers in my Icelandic class and using my self-learning course I am studying clothing, the four seasons and the declensions. I find them logical (as opposed to the British people in my class), but I have to memorise all the endings.

I have also been to a few meetings organised by the Icelandic community of London. In a few weeks there will be a orrablt, but the tickets are very expensive, so I don't know yet.

Funnily enough I keep meeting musicians from iceland all the time and the music industry is so small! I have met Alda Bjrk lafsdttir (she sang with Stjrnin), Garar r Cortes, Didd, Hulda Bjrk and I have also heard of Bjrk, Pll scar and Islendica, I probably know half the country's music industry!

Old February 15th, 2008, 4:52 pm
First Year

Titania: oh yes, Iceland is small... just last week I was sitting in the same caf as Sigurrs... our prime minister hold the opening speech at my school's "prom"... And my sister was in the same class as bjrk's son and my other sister played Carmina Burana where Cortes senior was the conductor... and Bjrk, who hasn't met Bjrk? It is a small country. Even my aunt is famous here and everyone loves to make jokes about her...

Vonandi mun r ganga vel a lra slensku og endilega komdu heimsskn einhverntmann

Old February 15th, 2008, 6:41 pm
Eldest Gruff

The only thing I can pretend to do in Icelandic is singing Mastjarnan. My pronounciation is scaring and I only know what the text means because it was translated to me, but back a few years ago we had some great fun at the Nordic Institute of our uni whenever 'the languages' (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finish and Icelandic) came together for parties. Mostly we only sang in 'our' languages, but sometimes we taught each other what we had learned.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old February 18th, 2008, 8:59 am

@irpa: Funny then that I only seem to meet musicians from Iceland, isn't it?

I am now trying to get my grip on the declensions. I find them logical and easy to understand as we also have declensions in German, it is just a matter of memorising the forms! Some of the English people in my class find the declensions very hard.

At the end of next week there will be a orrablt organised by the Icelandic community of London. Do you think it will be worth going? The tickets are very expensive.

Old February 18th, 2008, 4:35 pm
First Year

Titania: You're lucky to have declensions in german. I think it would be very hard to learn something that doesn't exist in your mother tongue and you really wouldn't see the point...

And we do have a lot of musicians here in Iceland. There is a big part of kids that goes to music schools, a lot bigger than normally. There is much music in Icelanders, we love to sing, because some evil priest had to prohibit all dancing way back in time... that's the reason for why we don't have any national dances like other countries have. In the past it was allowed to sing (okay, in churches, and the main point was to sing as loudly as you could until some danishman came and taught someone to sing properly) and tell stories. We have a really great collection of stories, all the way back when people first arrived, and a strong literature culture. The amount of new books per year is unbelievable considering that there lives only 300.000 people here on this island

orrablt you say... well, it will definitely be fun and a bit weird... you will taste very unusual food, that people normally don't eat now. And hopefully something normal like "flatbrau", "hangikjt" og "harfisk" There is a reason for I prefer Italian cuisin rather than Icelandic! And you will see why if you go

Old February 19th, 2008, 8:43 am

@irpa: Takk. I love the richness of music and literature. I always tell myself that I should not buy any more books, but I always do! The same goes for CDs. Yesterday I listened to an Icelandic album by Bjrk. Very good.

So, I will have to decide abiut this orrablt. I think I will go, but I have to make sure not to drink too much alcohol as I will have to get up early the next day and run a half-marathon!

Old March 5th, 2008, 4:55 pm

Komdu sl(l)! The orrablt was a great experience and I won some malt and apelsn in the raffle! The food was, well INTERESTING<,especially the shar! But I was brave enough to try it all!

We have got our class again tonight, it is very challenging and intensive, I love it, frbrt! As heimavinna we had to write a letter to a potential pen-pal, introducing ourselves.

@irpa: g tlar a fara til slands fyrir maraoninn gst. Viltu hitti mig?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab