Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Icelandic

Old March 7th, 2008, 5:59 pm
First Year

Re: Icelandic

Wow, you must've been brave. I haven't even tasted all... well, I don't know if I even can call it food.

Ef g ver landinu getum vi sennilega hist

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:39 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

@irpa: Takk.

g veit ekki enn ef g tma og penningum fyrir maraoninn Reykjavk. I will let you know!

gr var tnleika vi KK og Ellen Kristandttir hrna London, frbrt!

Old June 2nd, 2008, 1:56 pm

Komdu sl Irpa,

Hva segiru gott? g hef a bara fnt! g hef panta flugi til Keflavkur (20.08.2008 til 25.08.2008) af v a g ver a hlaupa maraoninn Rekjavk 23.08.2008. Er hgt a hitti ig?

a gengur mjg vel a lra slensku!

Vertu sl,

Imke

Old June 18th, 2008, 11:18 am
First Year

After seeing Sigur Ros live the other night, my interest in Icelandic is renewed. (Oh, dear - it is probably rather sad that a band inspires me to learn a language...:P).

Livemocha.com (a site which uses programs somewhat similar to Rosetta Stone for free) just added Icelandic and I have been using this, but am not sure how much I am actually learning as there is not much grammar taught. I still need to seek out some of those books suggested here! Is there a good site which lists common spoken Icelandic phrases (e.g. 'how are you,' 'good day,' etc.)?

Ga ntt

Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:13 am

Try this site for a dictionary:

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/IcelOnline/

And this one for a free online class:

http://icelandic.hi.is/

And get yourself "Colloquial Icelandic" by Daisy L. Neijmann along with the tapes and CDs.

Old September 1st, 2008, 8:02 pm
First Year

Gan daginn!

I would love to learn Icelandic but sadly no school in my city offers it. I guess I have to do it on my own! I love learning new languages and normally catch on pretty fast so maybe with a few studying and such it'll work.

Bless.

go 'claws!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 9:41 am

@kathleen hpffl: You should get yourself the books "Colloquial Icelandic" and/or "Teach Yourself Icelandic" and maybe you can also get some help on www.interpals.net. It is a pen-pal and language exchange website and I have got to know some nice Icelanders through this site.

Is English your mother tongue? Or do you speak any other languages? If you don't, you might find the declensions a bit difficult at first.

Old September 6th, 2008, 12:14 am
First Year

Well yeah, English is my mother tongue but I do speak French quite fluently and am going to start learning Latin in a few days because my science teacher is going to give me books on it. I know I'll find it difficult but oh well, I do love a challenge

go 'claws!
Old September 8th, 2008, 9:35 am

So do I! If you learn Latin, just bear in mind that Icelandic is similarly structured with all these declensions and conjugations. If you can handle these in Latin, then Icelandic should not be too difficult for you.

Old September 20th, 2008, 3:43 pm
Fourth Year

I like Icelandic. It looks very beautiful when written (at least I think so), but I haven't heard many speaking it. It would have been cool to learn it, but I don't know ehere I can find any "Learn Icelandic-courses". I understand pretty much written Icelandic, because some of the words are quite similar to Norwegian words. I've never been to Iceland, but one of my cousins, my Grandmother, my Mother and I all want to visit the island. I've heard very much nice about it, people say it is very beautiful there

Old September 22nd, 2008, 9:37 am

@Morning_Star: Yes, it is beautiful. If you want to learn Icelandic, get yourself the "Colloquial Icelandic" course by Daisy L. Neijmann. I have also got an e-mail pal from Norway wjose mother is Icelandic and she is trying to learn it too.

Old January 13th, 2009, 3:28 pm
First Year

I'm from norway, and i wonder: How different are actually icelandic form norwegian?

Old January 13th, 2009, 4:41 pm
Formerly Known as 82

I was to Iceland once. It was a beautiful country The capital (which I won't even attempt to spell correctly) was alot of fun for a couple of 15 year olds. My favorite thing was a book about fairies that I got while I was there. I was amazed how many people believed in them. It was refreshing.

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old January 13th, 2009, 8:58 pm
Fifth Year

Oh cool. I've only recently developed an interest in Icelandic, because as I understand it, it's not terribly different from the old Norse that the Vikings spoke. I've gotten into Norse/Germanic mythology lately, fascinating stuff.
(And it's now obvious where JKR got the name "Fenrir" for her evil werewolf! )

If I have a couple of questions regarding pronunciation of certain mythical words, places, names, etc.. could I post them here for clarification? It drives me mad reading of people, places, or things, and not knowing how they should be properly pronounced.
I was working on learning Icelandic/Old Norse at another site* other than the ones linked here (duly bookmarked, thanks) and that's when I discovered that, like Latin, Icelandic/Old Norse is a heavily inflected language, which makes it a bit tricky to learn when you're used to nothing other than (modern) English. It's kind of a neat concept though. Even old or middle English had more far inflection than it does today - which kinda makes sense, since German is somewhat inflected still.

This might strike the more knowledgeable of you as amusing, but for most of life, I was under the impression that English was, like Spanish, French, and Italian, a Latin derived language. Imagine my surprise when I learned that English (Angle-ish) was derived from German tribes! (albeit with much Latin influence)

*Re-found the link: http://www3.hi.is/~haukurth/norse/
Actually, this is more for "Old Norse" than Icelandic, though there are supposedly great similarities.

Last edited by Grymmditch; January 13th, 2009 at 10:04 pm.
Old January 14th, 2009, 9:47 am

@Annastacia: As far as I know most of the other Scandinavian languages have dropped all theses declensions and conjugasions. Icelandic hasn't and there are plenty of vowel shifts too.

Example: This is Anna = etta er Anna

I see Anna + g s nnu.

Because the ending changes to "u" in the accusative the "A" sound in the stem changes to ""

@Gryymmditch: I would like to help you with the pronunciation, but it is not easy to explain in writing, especially as there a a few sounds in Icelandic that don't exist in English. You should get yourself the self-learning courses "Colloquial Icelandic" or "Teach Yourself Icelandic", they have good pronunciaiton guides on their CDs.

Next week my Icelandic class will go on, yeah!

Old April 20th, 2010, 11:47 pm
First Year

Oh man. I wish I had the motivation/time to learn Icelandic! It is, in my opinion, the prettiest language I've ever heard, despite the fact its orthography can look a bit scary.

Old April 21st, 2010, 10:11 am

You'll get used to the orthography, it is not as scary as Russian or Chinese! And there is a rrason why every letter is written the way it is, you can actually read a text quite correctly if you know how the individual lettera are pronounced.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 1:08 am
First Year

Yeah I bet. Chinese isn't actually that scary when you know what the pinyin system is. But still! One day I'll learn Icelandic! One day!

Old April 22nd, 2010, 6:01 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

With the recent news concerning the volcano erupting in Iceland, I have been getting a big kick out of watching the news casters trying to pronounce the names. I think that it is probably one of the most intimidating languages to try to pronounce without having some sort of tutor or program that walks you through it. It's so beautiful to hear navtive Icelanders speak it, though. It's almost musical.

I saw a story about the Icelandic Horse breed, and, how closely guarded they are: you cannot import any into the country, and once they leave, they cannot be returned. This seems to be not only to keep the breed pure, but, also lessens the chance of some outside diseases being brought in. They are beautiful horses, and, have a very unique gait that, as far as I've read, no other horses have.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 6:25 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
They are beautiful horses, and, have a very unique gait that, as far as I've read, no other horses have.
I think you are referring to the one they call 'tlt'.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab