Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Television, Books, Websites in other languages

Old August 14th, 2008, 7:46 pm
Secret Keeper

Television, Books, Websites in other languages

Does anyone watch movies and tv in other languages without the subtitles of your native one? Or read books and magazines? Or go on websites in other languages? If so, where do you buy them or see them? Do you prefer watching/reading in other languages or do you like your native language more?

I speak fluent chinese, so I do watch tons of chinese movies/tv that I either buy when i go to china or watch online, but reading in chinese would be a nightmare. I kind of like chinese tv a bit more than american stuff. I like stuff from different cultures quite a lot. I only watch stuff from ancient china as a result

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2008, 8:52 pm
Eldest Gruff

Re: Television, Books, Websites in other languages

I'm on an English speaking online forum on a daily base.

I definitely love reading books in other languages or watching films, which mostly is easier.
I love switching to Danish TV (we get it, because we're close to the border), although I don't understand all. They also show English TV shows and films there with subtitles. What's nice, because around here (in Germany) we get dubbed versions only. I also like watching Estonian TV to keep my ickle knowledge of that language - this I do online via the live streams of the according TV channels. Some years ago I watched many Swedish movies, mostly with friends, but this died a bit. Perhaps we reactivate that group one day. Then I read Swedish, Latin and English for work.

Other languages I only watch / read rather accidentally. The ones above, mostly English, are the ones I do regularly.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old August 14th, 2008, 9:09 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
Does anyone watch movies and tv in other languages without the subtitles of your native one? Or read books and magazines? Or go on websites in other languages? If so, where do you buy them or see them? Do you prefer watching/reading in other languages or do you like your native language more?
English is my native language, but I do watch some French TV. I sometimes watch the children's programs with my son (the English ones tend to be too commercial) and I love the French Canadian coverage of the Olympics. More sports, less fluff (and something other than non-stop swimming and gymnastics). I do tend to watch it with close captioning on though, because I find French easier to read than to listen to when people are talking quickly.

I also sometimes read Danish magazines and can sometimes do pretty decent at the Danish version of Jeopardy (again, it helps that the answers/questions are displayed). I learned French in school and took some Danish night classes.

Where I live, there are French radio and television stations. There is also a channel that has Danish programming on certain nights of the week (and the magazines I find lying around my in-laws house).

Old August 14th, 2008, 10:07 pm
Fifth Year

Whenever I'm looking for the news or weather on t.v. I seem to catch the Irish news so I watch it in that language. The Irish language channel does very good documentaries that I like to watch but it's annoying from a language learners point of view because they put the English subtitles on. That's one of the great things about watching cartoons like Avatar because they don't bother with subs. Depending on how I'm feeling I'll read the Irish columns in the paper.

I decided that I don't want to lose the small bit of Spanish that I have and I've see that I'm not great at keeping at it when it comes to reading in other languages so I've bought a couple of Pedro Almadovar films from Amazon over the weekend.

Old August 15th, 2008, 10:09 am
First Year

I visit CoS regularly
Whenever I can, I watch movies on TV or in theaters in English, with or without subtitles. Presently I'm watching for the umpth time Friends in English without subtitles.
I read everything I can in English (Harry Potter first !).

I must admit that I prefer read/watch things on their original language. Now that I can understand pretty everything in English, I find it better. I mean, every time I watch Friends in French, I find it less and less funny than in English. Plus in the original language you can make a more accurate judgment on the actor performance.

Old August 15th, 2008, 5:52 pm
Secret Keeper

For me, when I get subtitles, it makes me look at the subtitles only and ignore the actual speaking, which kind of irritates me. But sometimes, I watch movies with spanish or french subtitles, which is just kind of interesting (despite the fact that I understand nothing more than bonjour in french )

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old August 15th, 2008, 6:08 pm
Second Year

I"m not sure if this is the place to speak about this if it's not I apologize in advance..

We do have some spanish speaking channels in my area (I live in America -- East Coast in Maryland) and I watch them time to time to see what I can pick up. They speak so fast and probably in a different dialect that we were taught so I can never catch much.

I guess my question is, so many people at CoS seem to have such a vast knowledge of languages -- I took 5 years of spanish required by school but it seems as if so many other people from other countries have an expansive knowledge of other languages. Several languages at that. They know German, French, Estonian...AND they're fluent in English. Is this something taught in school or is it just going out and learning the language for themselves? I heard that learning English is difficult, is this true?

Dumbledore beamed at him, and his voice sounded loud and strong in Harry's ears even though the bright mist was descending again, obscuring his figure.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:02 pm
First Year

Well, in France, learning at least one other language is compulsory. You begin at 8 in primary school, with either English or German, or even Spanish or Italian (it depends on where you live in France; where I live, close to the German border, we tend to be taught more German than Spanish, for example). Then at 11 or 13, you got to take another language class. We got something like at least 2 hours per week of language lessons.
But this isn't what made me "fluent" in English. I've been at univ for 2 years and my major is English so I got to be good at it. And then there's also the fact that I read, write, speak and listen English as much as I can, which to me is why I can understand and say so much in English (even if I'm not as good as I would want to be).

I don't think English is difficult. I mean, every language is difficult when you begin, but then to me, English is easier than German for instance. The most difficult thing for me in English is tenses. I try not to have to use difficult tenses, just to avoid making weird sentences in pluperfect or whatever, lol.

Old August 18th, 2008, 12:56 pm
Sixth Year

Well, I'm writing in a foreign-language forum just now,

English is the only foreign language I can speak, (though I also can understand some French), and, once I got used, I began liking reading in English. I usually borrow the books from the public library (in Madrid, at least, public libraries are making a great effort to buy foreign books), but if I want to buy one, I usually go to fnac or Casa del Libro, since both of them have very good sections of foreign literature.

I can't watch TV in English (I don't have the cable channels), but there are some programs (movies, series) that you can listen either in English or Spanish. If I'm not terribly tired, I try the English version. And, when I'm in Madrid, I usually go to the original version cinemas.

Ah, and I sometimes listen on-line to the BBC radio. I love their dramatized versions of books.

My friends think me a bit odd, or snob, but I need to learn English, and this are cheap and effective ways. Internet and the DVD are some of the best inventions for learning foreign languages.

Old August 18th, 2008, 2:38 pm
Second Year

For those learning or wanting to keep their German language skills there are several sites.

Live news 24 hours a day on N-tv:

http://www.n-tv.de/

Go to "TV" and then to "Livestream"

ZDF- Heute (News) and other programs (some live):

http://www.heute.de/ZDFheute/inhalt/...0,00.html?dr=1

On the Mediathek you can see single stories or "Ganze Sendung" for the entire newscast

ARD - Tagesschau (News) and other programs:

http://www.tagesschau.de/

"Letzte Sendung" for the most recent newscast.

For those wanting to keep their swiss-german skills and get used to the accent, Swiss TV has several programs on line.

Schweizer Fernsehen - Tagesschau (news in high german) and several programs in swiss-german.

http://tagesschau.sf.tv/

For radio programs and music:

ARD Radio

http://www.ard.de/radio/

Press on ARD radio net for live streaming of more than a dozen radio stations in Germany. Usually you can hear radio broadcast of the German Football team games in one of the stations.

We are but the dream of a shadow.
Solo somos el sueño de una sombra.
Wir sind nur der Traum eines Schatten.
http://countwestwest.livejournal.com

Last edited by CountWestwest; August 19th, 2008 at 1:31 am.
Old August 18th, 2008, 5:50 pm
Second Year

I'd love to learn another language and actually be decent at speaking it. I've gotten quite good at reading spanish but have difficulty speaking it or attempting to find the correct words to express what needs to be said.

Any thoughts on Rosetta Stone? My mother received the italian version of steps 1 and 2..anyone know anything about how well it teaches you? It's a pretty penny too..

Dumbledore beamed at him, and his voice sounded loud and strong in Harry's ears even though the bright mist was descending again, obscuring his figure.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
Old August 18th, 2008, 7:33 pm
First Year

Well, right now I am watching Hannah Montana on Disney Channel with my little sister, on English of course... she has been speaking English fluently since she was 5 or 6 because everything she watches on the tv is on English... Here, in Iceland, TV-shows and movies in foreign languages are always with subtitles so you get pretty used to read and watch a movie at the same time... so when I am watching a movie in English I like having English subtitles with it and if I am watching a danish movie, then danish subtitles with it and so on I do watch the Norwegian, Swedish and Danish television too when I feel up to it and I can read in those languages too if I want. Most of the books in my room right now are either in other languages than Icelandic or dictionaries...

When you do live in a small country with a language very few speak it is very important to learn other languages. Here in Iceland it is common to study at least 3 languages (beginning with English at age 7-9)

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory." -Albus Dumbledore

Old August 19th, 2008, 12:01 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpa View Post
Well, right now I am watching Hannah Montana on Disney Channel with my little sister, on English of course... she has been speaking English fluently since she was 5 or 6 because everything she watches on the tv is on English... Here, in Iceland, TV-shows and movies in foreign languages are always with subtitles so you get pretty used to read and watch a movie at the same time... so when I am watching a movie in English I like having English subtitles with it and if I am watching a danish movie, then danish subtitles with it and so on I do watch the Norwegian, Swedish and Danish television too when I feel up to it and I can read in those languages too if I want. Most of the books in my room right now are either in other languages than Icelandic or dictionaries...

When you do live in a small country with a language very few speak it is very important to learn other languages. Here in Iceland it is common to study at least 3 languages (beginning with English at age 7-9)
That's pretty amazing ! 3 languages !
Here in France, you're kind of considered a "language geek" if you learn more than 2 languages at the same time !
And how do you do with the subtitles when you are young ? Do they put subtitles on children programs too ?
I think it's great that your country has such an openness to other languages.

Old August 19th, 2008, 1:20 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermyMacGo View Post
That's pretty amazing ! 3 languages !
Here in France, you're kind of considered a "language geek" if you learn more than 2 languages at the same time !
And how do you do with the subtitles when you are young ? Do they put subtitles on children programs too ?
I think it's great that your country has such an openness to other languages.
The children programs are usually dubbed but sometimes they are lazy and just put subtitles and hope the best. And almost every kid here in Iceland has access to the American channels like disney channel and cartoon network.

Next year I'll be learning... five languages at the same time and I speak two languages fluently already (not counting Icelandic). We actually find it very strange that in Middle and South Europe all shows are dubbed in French, Italian and so on. It is kinda frustrating to have all these Italian and Spanish TV-channels, but nooo, I can't watch them and understand everything because they are dubbed but I find it amusing to listen to the French channels and do my best understanding what they are saying. It surprises me how much I can understand sometimes...

It is necessary for us to learn another languages because well, I can't go to France and begin speak Icelandic I should try though and see how it works...

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory." -Albus Dumbledore

Old August 19th, 2008, 7:27 am
Sixth Year

Well, I read Charolette's Web in Latin once for my Latin IV class.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old August 19th, 2008, 9:22 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

I am German, but I have lived in London for almost eight years now and I have studied various languages (English, French, Russian, Spanish, Italian and now Icelandic). I have got movies in all of these languages and also some books. Reading in English is the same as reading in German for me now and at the moment I am actually reading a German book in the English translation as the translation is good and the book was cheaper.

Most bigger bookshops or DVD stores in the UK have got foreign language sections and I buy stuff there. I have not got satelite or cable TV, so I do not get any foreign channels.

Old September 20th, 2008, 2:22 pm
Fourth Year

I read very often in English, and I'm pretty good at it, too. I'm a regular visitor to Mugglenet and CoS Forums, where it is mostly English. I almost never go to Norwegian websides, because there are not many that interests me...
And if you go into my room and study my books, you will find that it is about half'n half English/Norwegian.

Here in Norway we start at six years old (that is, when we start at school) with learning English. The first year we only learn easy, basic things, such as to count to ten, tell our names and how old we are, and so on. When we are about 13, we can also take Spanish, German or French at school. I take German, but I'm not so good at it. When I feel good enough, I'll try to buy Tintenhertz (I think it is spelled like that) to improve my German. That was how I became one of the best in my class to speak English: When Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince came in English, I didn't wait for the Norwegian translation, I just read it in English. It wasn't easy, but I read it over again when I was finished, and found that English wasn't so hard after all. Then I bought all the other Harry Potter books in English, and started buying the books that are originally written in English in English, and here I am; writing and reading on an English Forum

I like English much better than Norwegian, because the English language has so many more words and expressions, and Norwegian is really boring, i think. And I plan to move to an English- speaking country in about ten years But I am proud of my language and my country, and happy to know that the Norwegian grammar is much more advanced than English grammar I love grammar, so that is perfect for me

I plan to learn more languages, though. Here's a few of them:
- Italian
- Latin
- Welsh
- Irish
- Icelandic (with is a bit like Norwegian. I belive it is based on Old Norwegian, like the Vikings spoke it)
And very many other languages!

Last edited by Morning_Star; September 20th, 2008 at 2:27 pm.
Old September 21st, 2008, 3:05 am
do you want fries with that?

Being fluent in German, I love to watch German TV and movies and I will sometimes visit websites in German just for fun, as well as reading books in German.

I'm also pretty decent at Spanish, and like to watch movies in Spanish, sometimes I'll have the subtitles in English, but mostly not. I also do this sometimes in other languages, just to see how much I can pick up.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old September 21st, 2008, 12:42 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I speak/understand three Indian languages, and my grandparents love our local TV channels (which have all their programming in the local language, Malayalam), and I'm learning Mandarin and Japanese. I do occasionally watch some Japanese TV shows without subtitles, and it's a pleasant surprise to me when I'm able to make out what's happening without too much difficulty.

Old February 20th, 2009, 11:44 pm
She Who Walks Behind

My native tongue is German, but I like to watch TV series in English (the original version). I bought most of my books in English, ever since I became a member here. Also do I like to watch Japanese anime with English subtitles. I am not that good to watch it without titles, but I can make out some phrases and words. Most every movie and series is dubbed in Germany so almost impossible to find subbed ones. I'd like to read book in another language, other than English, but so far I couldn't find anything. I might try out the Dutch books here. It's close enough to German for me to understand most of it.

The End of the Dream.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab