Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Television, Books, Websites in other languages

Old February 21st, 2009, 11:03 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Re: Television, Books, Websites in other languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9and3quarters View Post
I guess my question is, so many people at CoS seem to have such a vast knowledge of languages -- I took 5 years of spanish required by school but it seems as if so many other people from other countries have an expansive knowledge of other languages. Several languages at that.
I'm so glad you said that, as I was starting to think I was the only one who felt stupid and inadequate next to all the incredibly knowledgeable polyglots on CoS.

I taught English in Poland for a few years and although my spoken Polish is pretty poor (embarrassingly so), I read books in Polish, just about manage to follow Polish films without subtitles, and try to keep up to date with Polish news websites.

I also sometimes read books in French, which I studied for 5 years at school.

I studied German for 2 years and Latin for 6 years at school, and a couple of years of Anglo-Saxon and Norse at university, but have sadly forgotten pretty much everything I knew. I'm very quick at picking up the basic rudiments of languages in order to pass exams, but very bad at developing proficiency or putting it to any practical use.

I think this is something that's quite common in the English-speaking world, though - when I was at school, we were just encouraged to pass the exam, I don't remember us ever being given the expectation that we would ever be able to use the language in real life.

I was also surprised, when I was teaching, to find that students in my tutor group who were doing French 'A' level, and whose French was much, much better than mine, claimed they couldn't read books in French. They'd panic and give up the minute they came across a word they didn't understand, whereas I'm happy to bumble my way through a text where I don't understand a third or more of the vocabulary - I'll just guess words from context.

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:28 am
Conquering Reading Lists

I'm on a foreign language website almost all the time every day English is a foreign language to me, but I know that very well and I'm at ease with it

I watch a LOT of English TV Channels, read a LOT of English books and love English movies. I also watch a lot of Indian language channels( Hindi, Tamil) and read a few Tamil books.

The percentage of English books/tv/movies that I read/view are much more than even my native language books or movies

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; August 9th, 2009 at 1:55 pm.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 3:50 am
Second Year

I speak some Spanish, and probably should watch more movies in Spanish.

One thing I did when I was traveling to Mexico was to watch some of my DVDs with Spanish audio and subtitles, to help me get used to the language again, and since I'd seen the movies I would already have an idea what they were saying. And the only DVD I had that had both was CoS, so I watched that movie a lot the two weeks before I left.

Old March 1st, 2009, 7:17 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning_Star View Post
I like English much better than Norwegian, because the English language has so many more words and expressions, and Norwegian is really boring, i think.
HOW could I EVER say that? I take it back right now! I love Norwegian much much much more than English, simply because it's my native language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
I was also surprised, when I was teaching, to find that students in my tutor group who were doing French 'A' level, and whose French was much, much better than mine, claimed they couldn't read books in French. They'd panic and give up the minute they came across a word they didn't understand, whereas I'm happy to bumble my way through a text where I don't understand a third or more of the vocabulary - I'll just guess words from context.
I know, many of my friends at school almost panicked when we had to read a book in English and write about it afterwards. (I had a fit of anger, because analyzing books and movies at school is quite boring, and often take the joy of reading/watching away, so many of my fellow students hate reading, and I suspect some do it because they think they need to really understand and know and blah blah blah the books they read.) And they do know a lot more English than I know German, but I'm planning to read a pretty thick german book soon. At least, the Norwegian edition (which I have not read) is pretty thick, for a beginner's book.

As long as you understand most of the meaning (not of a word; of the whole sentence, or even just the paragraph), you manage quite fine. One must look on the whole text to understand, not know exactly what each word means, which I do not even today when I read English. I didn't understand half of the words the first time I read HBP, which was the first book I ever read in English, but practise makes perfect, and look how well I manage now, on an English forum.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:20 pm
First Year

earlier this year, i had to watch "la vita e' bella" (life is beautiful) for school.
it's italian.
no subtitles, no nothing.
and then, i had to write a review on it.

it's an amazing movie. i study italian, so i could grasp the major part of it, but even if you knew nothing, you'd still understand it.

rupert rupert rupert (L)

[image removed by staff - only 300x300 allowed]
Old August 3rd, 2009, 3:05 pm
Second Year

My native language is German, but ever since I was about ten, I watch all my movies in English and read my books in English. I just hate it how points go lost by translation, and especially since I spent half a year in the States, I just cannot deal with the stupid German voice layer in movies or TV shows

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry.
“Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old August 3rd, 2009, 4:43 pm
Second Year

All the time my friends, all the time.

I visit Chamber of Secrets forums, other Harry Potter forums, they are all in english with no translations.

I read Deathly Hallows in english becoz the transaltion took a year!!!*sigh*

I have all the movies in english and yes, I watch them sometimes without subtitles.

I have to read many many many news online in english becoz there isn´t any translation of all the web sites

I hear all the music I like in english too, becoz thats the kind of music I like, mostly made in english spoken countries and english speaking bands/artist. Really it doenst have anything to do with cultures, its just a matter of taste, appealing and interest, something like that.

I watch tv in english too, some cable channel do not have subtitles for example CNN international...

Actually, for many other reasons, more important, I have to use english the most of the time becoz I have to, I have no other choices.

So... *sigh*

Last edited by Puppet_Master; August 3rd, 2009 at 4:46 pm.
Old August 4th, 2009, 5:08 am
First Year

I don't know if english is easy or not; in my opinion, in a globalized world like ours you learn it by osmosis. Nowadays, almost everything you must/want to know is in english: book's, music, information, etc. This happen with other languages but in a lower level.

On my career you must read at least the 50% of the books in english... and well, i doesn't prefer english over spanish, but sadly (for me!) english is more useful.

Old August 10th, 2009, 6:55 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I don't know if english is easy or not; in my opinion, in a globalized world like ours you learn it by osmosis. Nowadays, almost everything you must/want to know is in english: book's, music, information, etc. This happen with other languages but in a lower level.

On my career you must read at least the 50% of the books in english... and well, i doesn't prefer english over spanish, but sadly (for me!) english is more useful.

Out of the four languages I know, English is most definitely and by far the easiest.

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry.
“Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old June 7th, 2011, 4:34 pm
First Year

Well, I do watch movies/tv shows, read books and magazines and navigate on websites in other language than my first one. As I'm from Romania, English is a new language to me, and ever since I started liking it, I'd watched movies either with the English subtitle or without one at all.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab