Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Create your own language!

Old May 8th, 2011, 10:50 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Create your own language!

I haven't attempted it, (I'm not remotely qualified) and I'm sure it's far more complicated than one might first suppose , but the world could use a new language to unify us all.
Concepts such as time, indirect objects, etc.. must be considered, plus there are the cultural influences, but I wish someone would undertake the task. Some cultures have no concept for certain things, so their language won't either, or we may find a language/culture with concepts we don't have, I would think that would be the most difficult hurdle.
Oriental languages are so very different from Occidental languages.

But if nothing else, a new language should be consistent and as simple, and logical, as possible. English is a nightmare of grammatical exceptions, homophones, homonyms, and the like. There are more exceptions to the rules than there are rules! I really feel sorry for kids (and foreign language students) having to remember all the exceptions and contradictions. (why don't mood and food sound the same? or put and but?)
English isn't the only problem child though.
I don't think lingual concepts where inanimate objects have a feminine or masculine gender make much sense. What's the purpose? Unless you're actually describing something that has a gender, and it's relevant to the conversation, why complicate matters? That was the one thing that really irked me about Spanish when I began to learn it in High school; after the first term, I dropped it.

Just because somethings been done a certain way for hundreds of years does not mean it can't be improved upon.
The planet needs good communication better than ever. Language shouldn't be so needlessly complicated.

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:39 am
Second Year

Tiberius, with all the "ay"s at the ends of your words, your language reminds me a bit of Pig Latin. Is it based on that at all?

Old May 9th, 2011, 4:47 am
Zonko's Employee

No, it's not based on Pig Latin. I have a table so i can take a letter from English and change it into a whole syllable. I often take the most important letters from a word (for example, I'd reduce HOGWARTS to HGWRTS) to stop the words from being too long.

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:47 pm
Second Year

Ah, I see. That's really cool. It seems like it takes a lot of dedication and creativity, so good job!

Old August 2nd, 2011, 7:11 am
First Year

I love creating my language! Even as kids my brother and I dabbled in stuff like that (we were pretty weird/nerdy kids tbh) and now it's something I have fun with in my spare time, especially as I become more and more interested in linguistics and other languages.

100% RAVENCLAW and proud!!!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 7:30 am
Fourth Year

I did create my own language at some point. I think I was in high school. It was, as I recall, a sort of hyper-regular Romance-ish language. I discovered (at least, I thought I discovered) something interesting: Making a language hyper-regular also made it harder to distinguish between the various elements. In natural languages, the most common words tend to be the most irregular. Mostly, I suspect that's because they started out as not fitting into ordinary word categories, but it also means that they have a large Hamming distance to other words, and that makes them quite recognizable. Making your most common words look like other words has a negative effect on comprehensibility.

I think it would be interesting to make a language that isn't serialized like most human languages are. And I'm only saying "most" to be safe. I can't think of a single non-serialized language. By "serialized" I mean that it is spoken as a sequence of phonemes. Wouldn't it be interesting if a language used snaps, claps, sighs, stomps, shuffles, etc. at the same time as voice, all of it syntactically or semantically significant? Or more exotically, if the ability to sing two tones at the same time was used in a language?

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:55 am
Zonko's Employee

There are some African languages that use clicks. Is that the sort of thing you are talking about?

Old August 3rd, 2011, 1:23 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
There are some African languages that use clicks. Is that the sort of thing you are talking about?
No, the clicks still form part of a linear sequence of phonemes. I'm thinking about something much more like polyphonic music.

Because spoken language is so linear, we tend to think of the very act of thinking--conscious thinking, at least--as also linear. (We speak, for instance, of a train of thought.) But it really isn't. We have multiple threads of thought; I believe it's how we are able as humans to come up with connections between two seemingly disparate things. I think it would be interesting to develop a language that is capable of representing parallel threads of thought in a way that captures that synchrony.

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat
Old August 3rd, 2011, 6:29 am
Zonko's Employee

You mean a word that has a different meaning depending on whether you stomp your feet or slap your hands when you say it?

Old August 3rd, 2011, 7:05 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
You mean a word that has a different meaning depending on whether you stomp your feet or slap your hands when you say it?
That'd be an example. It was rather prosaic, as I don't think feet stomps and hand slaps have as much expressive power as the human voice, but perhaps that's just my voice-centric perspective!

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat
Old August 3rd, 2011, 8:02 am
Zonko's Employee

You might be interested in an episode of Star Trek Voyager called Macrocosm, which has an alien race in which body posture is a very important part of their language.

Old August 4th, 2011, 8:29 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
You might be interested in an episode of Star Trek Voyager...
Oops, pretty unlikely already. I'm afraid I'm a dyed-in-the-wool TOS fan. I tried Voyager--could not get into it. Thanks for the tip, though; if I chance upon it, I'll take a look.

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:27 pm
Fourth Year

I wish I had found this thread earlier! When I was younger, I attempted to create my own language...to no avail, but I attempted at the very least. I even had this sheet of paper where I wrote down the rules of the language (to be honest, now that I think on it, there were probably only ten or so rules ). I recall that the language (what I had established of it, that is) had some characters of my native tongue (the Czech č and ě, just to name a couple), but the structure of the sentences was something akin to Hebrew and Arabic. Sadly, that precious paper (which held the alphabet on its surface) is no longer with me, and has most likely been recycled into a blank sheet, and resides in the hands of an unappreciative soul who does not know that that paper once held the fabric of a young boy's dream .

Last edited by JohanT; February 20th, 2012 at 10:31 pm.
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:26 pm
First Year

To some degree, you could successfully create a language. Esperanto is a constructed language and the most widely spoken of all constructed languages. Anything from 10,000 to 2,000,000 can supposedly speak it.

Old April 14th, 2013, 9:05 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

That sounds like a great language, Peeves. All adjectives then?

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old April 15th, 2013, 12:08 am

Excellent work! Is dung-bomby a word in your language?

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old April 15th, 2013, 3:23 am

Did you add BBS Code as an integral part of your language?

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old April 17th, 2013, 6:40 pm
Fourth Year

Long ago, in high school (or possibly early on in college), I did try making my own language. Somewhere, I might even have the crib sheet I made for it, but I have no idea where that would be.

I can basically remember what it was like, though. It had conjugation for three persons (first, second, third) and two numbers (singular, plural). It did not decline for case. It had a vaguely Romance language sort of sound to it. It might have had gender for nouns; that I don't recall. I think it also inflected for tense. It was also totally regular. Different parts of speech had different endings. In retrospect, I was taking the first steps toward creating, essentially, a variant of Esperanto. (I'm not kidding myself, though. There's a lot of work that went into creating Esperanto that I hadn't really even scratched the surface of.)

These days, if I were to go through this exercise, I wouldn't inflect at all. I'd make the language totally analytic. A single word would indicate the subject. Number would be indicated by either a suffix or a completely separate word; for instance, the words for "I" and "we" wouldn't be totally disparate (as they are, for example, in Spanish). There wouldn't even be inflection for plural nouns: I'd say "one car" and "five car," and "one child" and "three child," not "cars" and "children."

I also remember my language having certain function words sound similar if they had similar meanings: like similar words for "through" and "into." I wouldn't do that anymore. I'd make the most frequent words short, but with as great a "Hamming distance" as possible without making the longer words cumbersome. Words with too repetitive a sound don't make things easy on the memory.

I'd also make the language amenable to poetry and other literature. There would have to be a variety of ways to say the same thing (variable word order, for example, and a rich vocabulary with overlapping terms). Since the language would be analytic, the word order couldn't be totally arbitrary; some balance would have to be struck. There would be a wide variety of phonemes, although I'd stay away from sounds that involve spittle. Maybe there would be tonal distinctions.

It's a really interesting question to think about!

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab