Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Catalan

Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:27 pm
First Year

Catalan

I usually speak Catalan, because I live in Catalonia ( a bilingual zone in Spain). But I also speak Spanish too.

Catalan (English pronunciation: /kætəˈlæn, ˈkætəlæn, ˈkætələn/;[1] Catalan: català, pronounced [kətəˈɫa] or [kataˈla]) is a Romance language, the national and the only official language of Andorra, and a co-official language in the Spanish autonomous communities of Catalonia, the Balearic Islands and Valencian Community, where it is known as Valencià (Valencian), as well as in the city of Alghero on the Italian island of Sardinia. It is also spoken, with no official recognition, in the autonomous communities of Aragon (in La Franja) and Murcia (in Carche) in Spain, and in the historic Roussillon region of southern France, roughly equivalent to the current département of the Pyrénées-Orientales (Northern Catalonia).

Although recognized as a regional language of the Région Pyrénées-Orientales [2] since 2007, Catalan has no real official recognition as French is still the only official language in France, according to the French Constitution of 1958.[3]

More Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_language

Old August 19th, 2011, 4:12 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Catalan

Hullo, a Catalan thread! Lovely!

Com et va? Vaig aprendre mitg any de Català en la UAB de Barcelona. Bé, va molt temps ja, doncs ja no ho parlo molt bé... Però encara recordo la cançó del "gripau blau, gripau blau babau"!

Back at university I did an exchange semester at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (in the framework of my translation studies, my foreign languages were French and Spanish)... and just because they offered it and I am a crazy language nut, I took a class "Catalan for Beginners" as well, with the "Digui digui" coursebook. Towards the end of my stay we got to know a funny Catalan children's song which I still like, of the "gripau blau" - it's about a crazy blue toad that believes itself to be an enchanted prince. And soon after my return to my home university, in an Applied Linguistics seminar about language policies I did a presentation on modern Catalan.

In the meantime though I have to admit that I've lost the practice of Catalan a bit. I think I can still read it fairly well (its closeness to both Spanish and French sure helps... ), and somewhere on my bookshelf I still have that 2nd-hand book on Catalan language and Catalan language policy by Pompeu Fabra, but I haven't had much opportunity to practice it actively.

(Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire')

My Snape fanfics: Reflections (F&B), The Red Light of the Sun (F&B), The Trapdoor Trials 1, 2, 3 (in "Snape's POV 2"),
Greetings from Down Under and An Unusual Patronus ... are hereby shamelessly advertised
Old August 19th, 2011, 4:27 pm
Second Year

Spanish people! YAY! Hola que tal no hablo catalan pero soy española! Pense que era la unica.. jajaja

'No story lives unless someone wants to read it. The stories we love best DO live in us forever. So whether you come by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you HOME.' - J.K.Rowling.
'And I just wanna say that, amm... I've loved every minute and thank you all very very much' -Dan Radcliffe

SORTED INTO GRYFFINDOR!!

Proud member of the POTTERMORE BATTALION
Old August 19th, 2011, 5:52 pm
Fifth Year

Justincase - no, you're not NEARLY the only Spanish-speaking poster here! There are lots of others. The Spanish thread here in the Language Lab already has 32 pages.

Here's the Spanish thread: http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=111952

I've been digging around a bit... here are some resources on learning Catalan:

"Learn Catalan via the Internet": http://www.ub.edu/slc/en/angslink.htm

"Learning Catalan on the Internet", different levels: http://catalunya-lliure.com/curs/catala.html

"Learn to Speak Catalan" (Catalan language exchanges and penpals): http://www.mylanguageexchange.com/learn/catalan.asp
(Hey, I could use this one! )

Catalan language games: http://www.digitaldialects.com/Catalan.htm
(Sounds fun as well )

(Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire')

My Snape fanfics: Reflections (F&B), The Red Light of the Sun (F&B), The Trapdoor Trials 1, 2, 3 (in "Snape's POV 2"),
Greetings from Down Under and An Unusual Patronus ... are hereby shamelessly advertised
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab