Re: The Improve Your English Thread v4.

Deadly?

Old November 4th, 2011, 8:58 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
Quirk and Greenbaum's University Grammar of English
I tried to consult that a while back, but I found it just a bit too... quirky.

Sorry, I'll leave now.

Old November 5th, 2011, 7:07 am
Third Year

I think "deadly" is right. It is not a difficult word but it didn't come up to my mind.

Old November 8th, 2011, 3:05 pm
First Year

Yeah, this is really my only concern in the english grammar. When do you use to and when do you use too?

Old November 8th, 2011, 4:17 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterPumpkin View Post
Yeah, this is really my only concern in the english grammar. When do you use to and when do you use too?
You use "too":

(a)to express the meaning of "also" or "as well"

e.g. "My dad was going to the fairground, so I asked him if I could go, too."
e.g. 2 "I usually add chopped apple to the cake mix, but chopped banana would work, too."

(b) to express the meaning of excessively

e.g. "He was driving too fast and he crashed."
e.g.2 "Your chocolate cake is too tempting - I can't stop eating it!"

You use "to":

(a) when you mean "in the direction of" (whether you arrived or not)
e.g. "I went to London yesterday
e.g. 2 ""While I was cycling to work, I fell off my bike."

(b) to introduce an indirect object
e.g. "I gave the book to John"
e.g.2 "I wrote a letter to the Prime Minister"

(c) with verbs as part of the infinitive
e.g. "I like to sing"
e.g.2 "He promised to marry me"
e.g.3 "The earphones are to block out noise"

(d) With schools, universities etc when you're talking about which ones you attended when you were younger
e.g. "I went to the University of London"
e.g.2 "He went to Eton"

Old November 8th, 2011, 4:58 pm
Fourth Year

I aspire to get to the point where the use of "too" is my only concern.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old November 9th, 2011, 4:51 am
Third Year

Another crossword puzzles...(It gets more and more difficult!)

When one object hits another object, it ______, or makes, heat.
(The answer is a 7-letter word, with its second letter "r", the fifth one "t", and the last one "s")

We need a lot of information in order to ______ something that happened a long time ago.
(The answer is also a 7-letter word, with its first letter "e", the third one "p", and the last one "n")

Many scientists believe that the moon was ______ from the Earth.
(The answer is a 6-letter word with its second letter "o", and the fifth one "e")

Old November 9th, 2011, 6:28 am
Fourth Year

Spoiler: show

Creates, Explain, Formed

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat

Last edited by BrianTung; November 9th, 2011 at 7:28 am.
Old November 9th, 2011, 7:40 am
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

How to cheat at crosswords

Old November 30th, 2011, 2:36 am
Third Year

Is there any awkward expression among the bold words in the below paragraph?

The purpose of most mass advertising is to persuade ① producers that your product is ② superior to those of your competitors. And another purpose of it is to persuade and encourage ③ retailers to give the product shelf space. ④ Major food companies, car firms, banks, detergent manufactures, and so on, have to spend a lot of money on advertising. It’s because there is actually not much difference between their products and those of ⑤ rival companies. In short, their products are so similar that those companies spend a fortune persuading us that they’re different!

Old November 30th, 2011, 5:08 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ominous View Post
Is there any awkward expression among the bold words in the below paragraph?

The purpose of most mass advertising is to persuade ① producers that your product is ② superior to those of your competitors. And another purpose of it is to persuade and encourage ③ retailers to give the product shelf space. ④ Major food companies, car firms, banks, detergent manufactures, and so on, have to spend a lot of money on advertising. Its because there is actually not much difference between their products and those of ⑤ rival companies. In short, their products are so similar that those companies spend a fortune persuading us that theyre different!
I would say that #1 should be consumers instead of producers -- just from the context, as consumers are the people that buy the products and producers are the ones that make the product & pay for advertising to persuade the consumers to buy it.

Old November 30th, 2011, 9:22 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
I aspire to get to the point where the use of "too" is my only concern.
I'm already there!

And my eldest is already showing signs of following in footsteps, especially regarding apostrophe useage!

Old December 2nd, 2011, 9:15 pm
First Year

Native English speaker here please!

Hi all! A friend of mine asked me to translate into English a piece of text that she has to hand in next week. Since I'm not a native, I'm not sure about my work, I don't know if I chose the right words and expressions because the subject concerns counselling and stuff like that, so it's something I'm not very strong in...
Could you please have a look at it and correct what sounds "foreign" or strange to you?
Many thanks.
Here's the text:

The Counselling
INDEX
• The Counselling
• Theories of Counselling
• Areas of application, methods and schedule

Chapter 1 – The Counselling
1st slide
Counselling is an English word that describes a new profession originating in England and America at the beginning of the 20th century. It’s not a therapy, but a professional activity based on a helping relationship
2nd slide
This helping relationship is between Counsellor and Customer.
Counsellor’s task is to help people find their sense of autonomy in themselves.
The Customer is someone who temporarily bears an inner distress.
3rd slide
Counselling helps to:
feel better, think, create, change behaviour, get more from life, have less stress, stop feeling stuck, relate better with others.

Chapter 3 - Areas of application, methods and schedule
Who it is addressed to:
• Lack of self-esteem
• Guidance and Educational issues
• Personality development
• Inner conflict
Counselling uses:

Set Setting

Contracts or activity agreements depend on these.

The working plan Methodology

3rd slide
Counselling has specific goals to achieve in a very short time. These are decided along with the customer.
Chapter 4 – Counselling in the school. The pleasure of teaching
1st slide
The counselling in the school is represented by a teacher with particular social abilities which favour the relationships between:
• Teacher – student
• Teacher – parent
• Teacher – professionals
2nd slide
In his/her relationship with students, the school counsellor:
• Is specialized in helping families in need in Parenting Centres
• Is well aware of any problem affecting the class
• Helps find solutions to class conflicts
• Steers students in their choices

Last edited by Sherazad; December 3rd, 2011 at 1:14 pm.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 1:21 am
Third Year

Fine two grammatically wrong expressions.

I know example A is wrong. It should be "mine" instead of "my".
Then which is the second one? It seems to me that example C is also wrong but I can't think of a proper alternative.

A friend of (A)my sent me a poem: “You’d better slow down, don’t dance so fast. Time is short, the music won’t last.” Reading it reminded me that sometimes I dance (C)so fast I miss the music. I am always thinking about the next thing I have to do and I forget (D)to enjoy what I’m doing at the moment. It’s even harder when I’m trying to do four things at once. I know I’m not alone. Life would be (E)more easier if everyone could just slow down and enjoy what he or she is doing. Too many opportunities are lost because of the “I’m too busy” syndrome. “We don’t have to run so fast to get somewhere, you miss half the fun of getting there,” as the poem says.

Last edited by ominous; December 3rd, 2011 at 1:24 am.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 1:27 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:

Then which is the second one? It seems to me that example C is also wrong but I can't think of a proper alternative.

A friend of (A)my sent me a poem: Youd better slow down, dont dance so fast. Time is short, the music wont last. Reading it reminded me that sometimes I dance (C)so fast I miss the music. I am always thinking about the next thing I have to do and I forget (D)to enjoy what Im doing at the moment. Its even harder when Im trying to do four things at once. I know Im not alone. Life would be (E)more easier if everyone could just slow down and enjoy what he or she is doing. Too many opportunities are lost because of the Im too busy syndrome. We dont have to run so fast to get somewhere, you miss half the fun of getting there, as the poem says.
The second one that's wrong is (E) "more easier". It should be just "easier" without the "more".

Old December 3rd, 2011, 5:04 am
Fourth Year

Quote:

A friend of (A)my sent me a poem: Youd better slow down, dont dance so fast. Time is short, the music wont last. Reading it reminded me that sometimes I dance (C)so fast I miss the music. I am always thinking about the next thing I have to do and I forget (D)to enjoy what Im doing at the moment. Its even harder when Im trying to do four things at once. I know Im not alone. Life would be (E)more easier if everyone could just slow down and enjoy what he or she is doing. Too many opportunities are lost because of the Im too busy syndrome. We dont have to run so fast to get somewhere, you miss half the fun of getting there, as the poem says.
As Pox Voldius points out, (e) more easier is ungrammatically redundant. The word "easier" contains within it already the comparative ending "-er"; adding "more" to it makes it ungrammatical. In the same way, we would not ordinarily say "more nicer" or "more softer," or for that matter "most easiest" or "most loudest."

There are occasions when one might say that, but these tend to be rare and when they occur, they are often jocular. For instance:

"Why are you switching to pastels? Colored pencils are already easier to use than crayons."

"Yes, but pastels are more easier."

The intended meaning here is that the improvement in ease of use from crayons to pastels is greater than it is from crayons to colored pencils. However, as I said, such use is rather informal; normally, one would say something like, "Yes, but pastels are easier still." This means that pastels are even easier to use than colored pencils, and conveys the proper ordering without a contrivance like "more easier."

Back to (c) so fast. You may have been thrown by the fact that "fast" is here acting as an adverb, which it can do. We normally think of it as an adjective ("my dad's car is fast"), but it can also be used as an adverb ("I'm going as fast as I'm can"). There is no form "fastly." If the absence of the "-ly" ending disturbs you, you could use "rapidly" to mean much the same thing. But "fast" seems more idiomatic and less formal.

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat
Old December 3rd, 2011, 7:20 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

I would also mention that this seems partly to be a phonological issue. Comparatives in English are typically formed with the -er suffix for monosyllabic and other specific sets of adjectives (especially those ending in an [i] phoneme), while we use the "more" thing with longer ones.

It's not so much that it's redundant in and of itself--we use redundancy for emphasis in a lot of other ways--but perhaps originally that the two categories are mutually exclusive. If an adjective falls into the "more" set it probably won't also be able to take an -er suffix without sounding strange. ETA: I should acknowledge that "easy" is indeed an adjective that can go either way, and it is simply unnecessary in most situations to indicate the comparative twice.

As for why we use "more" itself, I suppose it makes sense, since it ultimately comes from the Old English adjective "micel," whose comparative form was "mara," while the superlative was "mst" (or much, more, most for those of you keeping track). Perhaps not surprisingly, there's a similar set of adjectives that should be just as familiar: lytel, lssa, lst.

Last edited by canismajoris; December 3rd, 2011 at 7:24 am.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 1:00 pm
First Year

Hi everybody! Could you please check out my previous post please? It will take you just 1 minute to read it all. Thank you so much! =)

Old December 6th, 2011, 6:36 am
Fourth Year

Re: Native English speaker here please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherazad View Post
The Counselling
INDEX
• The Counselling
• Theories of Counselling
• Areas of application, methods and schedule

Chapter 1 – The Counselling
1st slide
Counselling is an English word that describes a new profession originating in England and America at the beginning of the 20th century. It’s not a therapy, but a professional activity based on a helping relationship
"Counselling," not "The Counselling." English does not generally use "the" with abstract nouns in that kind of setting.

I would say, "It is not therapy," not "It's not a therapy."

"A professional activity based on a helping relationship": This is terribly vague. By this metric the world's oldest profession would qualify as counselling. Could you be more precise?

Incidentally, "counselling" with two L's is mostly a UK spelling, I think. US mostly has "counseling." Just an FYI, depending on where this presentation will be shown.

Quote:
2nd slide
This helping relationship is between Counsellor and Customer.
Counsellor’s task is to help people find their sense of autonomy in themselves.
The Customer is someone who temporarily bears an inner distress.
Generally, "The Counsellor's task..." not just "Counsellor's task..." Continue with something like "...find a sense of autonomy." "In themselves" is redundant if you're speaking of autonomy.

"The Customer is someone who is temporarily distressed." That seems more direct.

Quote:
3rd slide
Counselling helps to:
feel better, think, create, change behaviour, get more from life, have less stress, stop feeling stuck, relate better with others.
"Counselling helps people [alternatively, 'one' or 'the Customer'] to..." "Helps" needs the object.

Quote:
Chapter 3 - Areas of application, methods and schedule
Who it is addressed to:
• Lack of self-esteem
• Guidance and Educational issues
• Personality development
• Inner conflict
Counselling uses:

Set Setting

Contracts or activity agreements depend on these.

The working plan Methodology
I'm not sure how this last part is supposed to appear, or how it will be described.

I'm also not certain what the introductory phrase is intended to mean, but I suspect that it should be, perhaps, "What it addresses," not "Who it is addressed to."

Quote:
3rd slide
Counselling has specific goals to achieve in a very short time. These are decided along with the customer.
Perhaps the following wording? "Counselling aims to achieve specific goals in a very short time."

Quote:
Chapter 4 – Counselling in the school. The pleasure of teaching
1st slide
The counselling in the school is represented by a teacher with particular social abilities which favour the relationships between:
• Teacher – student
• Teacher – parent
• Teacher – professionals
Again, I'm not sure what is intended, but perhaps this should be "Counselling at school is [often?] provided by a teacher with special training, who facilitates relationships between..."?

Quote:
2nd slide
In his/her relationship with students, the school counsellor:
• Is specialized in helping families in need in Parenting Centres
• Is well aware of any problem affecting the class
• Helps find solutions to class conflicts
• Steers students in their choices
Hope that helps. EDIT: Sorry that it took a while for me to see this, but I think I only saw ominous's post that came right after yours. Thanks for calling our attention to this. I hope I saw it in time.

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat

Last edited by BrianTung; December 6th, 2011 at 6:40 am.
Old December 9th, 2011, 3:14 pm
Third Year

Whether or If or both can be used?

1. ________ she like him is not clear.

2. The point is ________ she will like him or not.

3. The question ________ she like him or not is uncertain.

4. Everything depends upon _________ she will like him or not.

5. He couldn't decide ________ to go or to turn back.

6. I don't know ________ it will rain or be sunny.

7. I don't care ________ your car breaks down or not.

8. I don't care ________ it doesn't rain.

9. I don't care ________ or not your car breaks down.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab