Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

The best method to learn a new language

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:14 am
Sixth Year

Re: The best method to learn a new language

jmunay10: I read the HP books in English, being Spanish myself, and it helped me a lot. However, I have to warn you that the Spanish translations aren't exactly wonderful. They're decent for the three or four first books, but from OotP to DH, they're horrible.

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2013, 11:46 pm
First Year

I recently finished school and am now in my first year at university. I am no longer doing German but I definitely don't want to lose it. I recently purchased the first Harry Potter book in German in the hopes that it will refesh my memory. (Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen )
I also plan to make a collection of German films to help me maintain my knowledge of the language. For anyone who is interested,I would strongly advise ''Das Wunder von Bern'', ''The Edukators'', ''Goodbye Lenin'' and ''The Lives of Others''. All of these are performed in German

Old January 17th, 2013, 2:19 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

I occasionally switch my Google News page to the Estados Unidos edition to keep up my Spanish. Sometimes I even pick up new words & phrases that way (like mochila antibalas).

Old January 17th, 2013, 10:00 am
First Year

We can buy a book and reffer it by ourselves!

Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:26 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
jmunay10: I read the HP books in English, being Spanish myself, and it helped me a lot. However, I have to warn you that the Spanish translations aren't exactly wonderful. They're decent for the three or four first books, but from OotP to DH, they're horrible.
I'm Spanish too and I've just started reading the HP books in English. Although it's not possible to understand every single word you read in a foreign language, it does help to brush up the language you're learning. You can also always have a dictionary to look some difficult terms up, but you can usually figure out the meaning once you've read that word several times. I think reading a book in another language is specially helpful when it comes to learn new expressions and idioms.
P.S: Oh, and I don't think the Spanish translations are that awful ! At least they respected the names Jo created and didn't translate them! sorry for the brief off-topic lol

Old July 29th, 2013, 8:55 pm
Third Year

I've recently started trying to learn a language myself (either Spanish or French) and I've done some research on it and here's what I feel would be a good way for me to learn the language: first learns the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) and than learn the phonology for that language because this is supposed to help with understanding how to speak it correctly and authentically. Since I'm trying to learn it at home, I feel this would be a very important step. After I've got that down, I'm going to go ahead and find a book or website (with audio!) and learn it from that. I hope it goes well!

Old July 29th, 2013, 10:06 pm
Sixth Year

IMO immersion is the best way to drastically improve your language skills. I went from knowing no russian to being able to communicate effectively in day to day situations in one month. It was a combination of being in Moscow and stuck with a teacher who knew practically no english. Wore out my dictionary and wound up getting real good at charades and pictionary.

Listening to the radio is also a great way to get yourself comfortable with the language.

Old July 30th, 2013, 10:18 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

@BigWings: Where are you based? I am german and I am based in london, if you are looking for German meet-ups here, let me know!

@wolfbrother: i fully agree with you that immersion is the best way to learn a foreign languge. I knew very basic Italian when i first started working for an Italian company. Now I am flunet. It is the same with Icelandic. Whilst I have never lived in Iceland I am a very active member of the Icelandic community here and I am very confident speaking the language. off to Iceland for two weeks next month!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab