Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Beauxbatons: the place to improve your French

Old November 25th, 2011, 11:24 pm
First Year

Re: Beauxbatons: the place to improve your French

salut! je suis brésiliènne et j'étudie français depuis quelques mois, alors je ne sais pas paler en français.. encore! mais j'espère que je peux apprendre ici.

and for the record, i just want to say that languages develop non-stop, they're the oppose of "static", and they are developed by the people who use it. so what's really correct now was a terrible mistake in some another time. therefore, what you consider being a terrible "Mistake", if used by all speakers, will eventually be right. the language is not owned by anyone, and the grammar, really, just tries to capture the rules and most accepted forms at that time being.

i'm not saying that anything can be a new rule, ok? but what's accepted and used by the most part of the speakrs of that language may eventually appear in the grammars. just as the same with new words, if it was the contrary, we wouldn't ever need new dictionarys and new grammars.
and i'm sorry if i was not clear or if my english is too bad - my first language is portuguese!

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2012, 4:42 pm
Fourth Year

Bonjour. Je ne parle pas francais, mais je le comprends quand je lis la litterature francaise.

I probably made a bunch of errors in just that one sentence. Last year, I ended my final year of Spanish, after a two year break from the language, actually . And since there are some similarities between the two, I find understanding written French (when I read slowly) a little easier.

Anyways, my English teacher loves pulling out French literature, and having us translate it from French to English. She's doing the same for Middle English. I think it's an amazing language, very useful when looked at in a broad light. I'd definitely attempt to learn it, but finding the time and the patience is a bit difficult.

Last edited by JohanT; March 4th, 2012 at 4:44 pm.
Old March 13th, 2012, 2:27 pm
First Year

Bonjour. Je étude français a l'école. Je n'aime pas cette sujet mais je veux améliorer mes connaissance de la langue.

I hope what I said is correct I've hated the subject from day one, but I still want to learn the language I can have a basic conversation in French, although I don't always express myself correctly. I understand nearly everything but I have trouble expressing myself, that's what I want to improve.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old who is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed be the blade that was broken: The crownless again shall be king.
Old December 21st, 2012, 6:40 am
First Year

J'ai étudié le français pour quatre ans à l'école secondaire et je le pratique aujourd'hui. C'est un peu difficile d'écrire en français sur mon clavier d'ordinateur parce que je n'ai pas les lettres accentuées. J'espere que je suis encore en train de parler correctement...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab