Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

So you want to study Japanese?

Old February 10th, 2005, 6:21 am
Second Year

So you want to study Japanese?

I am starting this thread so that people who are having a difficult time learning Japanese on their own, or who need help outside of their classes, or whatever, to improve and have fun at the same time.

Administrators, if this is in the wrong place please feel free to transfer it

For now I will start by introducing myself, as I am in desparate need of practice for when I go to Japan in just over a year , and my classmates all just quit on me, plus the teacher is rather inept.

Konnichiwa, Muku_Muku desu. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu. Watashiwa America-jin. Watashiwa akarui desu. Watashiwa sushiwo tabema****a.

Please correct any grammar mistakes that you see, and add your own questions, comments, or just simple practice sentences. Have fun

Last edited by Muku_Muku; February 10th, 2005 at 6:25 am.
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2005, 12:58 pm
First Year

lol Jap's my first love (Anime - country), so I've been taking lessons for around 3+ years already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muku_Muku
Watashiwa sushiwo tabema****a.
It's not wrong or anything, but it'll be less messy if you put it as Watashi wa sushi wo tabema****a. =)

For reference:
Hiragana

あ い う え お か き く け こ さ し す せ そ た ち つ て と
a i u e o ka ki ku ke ko sa shi su se so ta chi tsu te to

な に ぬ ね の は ひ ふ へ ほ ま み む め も ら り る れ ろ
na ni nu ne no ha hi fu he/e ho ma mi mu me mo ra ri ru re ro

や ゆ よ わ を ん
ya yu yo wa wo/o n

Pronunciation:
a - aah
i - ee
u - oooh
e - ehh
o - ohhh

that's all for today.

Edit Reason: sorry, cant get the romanized letters directly underneath the kana letters. =S

Last edited by chiba_anna; February 10th, 2005 at 1:02 pm.
Old February 11th, 2005, 12:56 am
Fourth Year

I'm not sure, but I think it might be Watashi wa America-jin desu. Don't take my word for it though. Also, does anyone know of a translation website that will translate romanji?

Old February 11th, 2005, 1:08 am
Second Year

Oh I love Japanese I learnt it through highschool (which I just finished last year) this is a great idea I want to keep my Japanese up but it's difficult when you don't have anyone to practice on.

Muku_Muku I don't know what level your at but I just talk to you. I'll translate at the bottom. I haven't used my Japanese for 3-4 months now so it might be a bit rusty. BTW how do you get it so you can type in kana because I hate writting romanji.

Konichiwa Muku_Muku san. Watashi no namae wa Gemma (sorry I can't remember how it's written in Japanese without writting in kana) desu. Dozoyoroku. Muku_Muku san Nihon ni iku desu ka? Nihon wa totemo tanoshi desu. Nihon wa iroiro no koto ga dekimasu. Tatoreba nihon no tabemono o tabetari nihon no suppotsu o ****ari shimasu.

The last bit was more just practice for me. I don't think it's gramtically correct.

Translation
Hello Muku_Muku. My name is Gemma, it's nice to meet you. Are you going to Japan? Japan is a very enjoyable place. There are various things you can do in Japan. Such as eat Japanese foods and play japanese sports.

~ Gems

Old February 11th, 2005, 7:16 am
Second Year

Arigatou gozaimasu. Anata wa kitsu desu, WitchHunter san. My grammar is very bad. My first teacher and my most recent teacher do not seem to agree on anything, and I do not know which is correct. The recent one has confused me by saying that one must only sometimes have desu or masu at the end of a sentence, so I have been slacking and forgetting them.

I am going to Japan in about 13 months to study abroad for a year. I do not technically have to know the language, but I want to learn it anyways.

Dozoyroshiku, Gemma san. Muku-Muku wa Fluffy desu. Watashi no kami wa muku-muku to kyo desu. Watashi wa Nihon wo to neko wo koishimasu. Watashi no tomodachi wa Australia ni ikimasu. Watashi wa heta Nihon-jin de desu.

Shiba_anna san, arigatou. Watashi wa hiragana wo yomemasu. They do not show up on my computer except as boxes, though.

Translations:
1. Thank you. You are right, WitchHunter.
2. Nice to meet you Gemma. Muku-Muku means fluffy. My hair is fluffy and large. I love Japan and cats. My friend is going to Australia. I am bad at Japanese.
3. Thank you Shiba_anna. I (can) read hiragana.

Domo arigatou gozaimasu for all of your help. Oyasumi.

Old February 11th, 2005, 10:21 am
Second Year

I only know Konnichiwa means hello doesnt it? Ive always wanted to learn Japanese cause Im in love with Japan and everything from Japan! Should of been born Japanese!
I want to learn to impress my 2 new Uni friends, Mirror and Kelly who are from Japan!

Old February 11th, 2005, 5:11 pm
First Year

こんにちは、 はじめまして!
フェエニクスてす。ドイツ人です。ちょっと日本語をはなします。
あなたのPMをありがとうございました。
おげんきですか。

Hm...I have no idea if this is right, and don't know how to say "thanks for..."

Old February 12th, 2005, 12:49 am
Second Year

Muku-Muku san, anta no tomodachi wa Osotoraria ni ikimasu. Watashi wa Osotoraria ni sundeimasu. Anta no nihongo wa joosu (I don't think that's the right spelling) desu.
(Muku-muku, your friend is coming to Australia? I live in Australia. You are good at Japanese)

Flawkes - Konichi wa is generally used as Hello, though it means good afternoon, Ohayoo means good morning, and konban wa means good evening. What else would you like to know.

Feeniku san, dozoyorosuku. Where can you get a program to type the japanese characters?

Old February 12th, 2005, 6:05 am
Second Year

I, too am interested in finding a program that will let me type the kana. I cannot even read those that you have written. They just show up as little boxes :cry:

Gemma san, hai, soo desu. Watashi no Nihongo wa kuso desu. Konnichi wa (/ha) desu, iie konichi wa. To ohayou desu, iie ohayoo. To dozoyoroshiku desu, iie dozoyorosuku. Or as I have been taught, at least.

Gemma, yes it is so. My Japanese is s***. It is konnichi wa, not konichiwa. And ohayou, not ohayoo. And dozoyrushiku, not dozoyorusuku.

Konban wa Flawkes. Dozoyoroshiku.

Good evening Flawkes. Nice to meet you

Feenikusu san, Sore wa nan kakima****a? (argh not sure of grammar or words...left dictionary at mom's house)

Feenikusu, what did you write?

Watashi wa kakarui desu! Anata wa watashi no thread (lol no dictionary again) ni desu! Domo arigatou gozaimasu!

I am happy! You are on my thread! Thank you!

Old February 12th, 2005, 11:19 am
First Year

@ Muku_Muku: Try NJ Star. I've been using it for years. =) It's a good program. Just run a serach on NJ Star Communicator and you should be able to find it. ^^

Old February 12th, 2005, 8:34 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiba_anna
@ Muku_Muku: Try NJ Star. I've been using it for years. =) It's a good program. Just run a serach on NJ Star Communicator and you should be able to find it. ^^
Yep, I use that, too.
I said hello, nice to meet you, I'm Phoenix, I'm german, I can speak a little Japanese, thanks for your PM,and I asked how you are.
Or something like that...xD

Old February 13th, 2005, 12:37 am
First Year

Gonna try of what I know.

Oyasumi. Watashi - no namae-wa Kathryna desu. Juu-ni desu. Jamaica-jin desu. Sayonara.

'Tis only love I have..

Old February 14th, 2005, 12:12 am
Second Year

Muku-muku - yes my spelling is bad I'm used to writting in kana. anata wa nihon no joozu to omoimasu. (I think your Japanese is good)

NJ star is that free? They had it at my school so I'm pretty familar with it. It's a good program.

Pockiness - watashi wa Pocky o suki desu. Anata wa Pocky no suki desu ka?(Don't think the grammar is right) I like pocky. Do you like pocky?

That's all I got time for today. Happy Valentines Day everyone.

Old February 14th, 2005, 12:16 am
Sixth Year

Oh cool . I'd like to learn Japanese, but I'd learn Mandarin first. Does anyone know any Mandarin? Can you guys teach me some Japanese or Mandarin please? Thanks .

I'm no superman.
grarpirates
flickr
Old February 14th, 2005, 6:37 am
First Year

Konnichi wa. Watashi ga daigaku kara sotsugyo ****a tokoro da kara jugyou o toronai no dei de, nihongo ga don-don wasurete shimasu. Sore da kedo minna-san o tasukete ****ai. Senko wa Nihongo to Nihon no bunka datta no de, bunpo to ka tango to ka yoku wakaru. ****sumon ga attara, kite kudasai! Yoroshiku kudasai!

Hey, I just graduated from college, so Im not taking classes, and Im gradually forgetting all of my Japanese. However, I would like to help you all. My major was Japanese (Both language and culture) So i know the vocab and grammer pretty well. If you have any questions or want corrections, don't hesitate to ask!

Old February 14th, 2005, 6:55 am
First Year

Hi. If you have any specific questions about Japanese or Japan, I will try to answer them as much as my time allows. I am a bi-cultural and bilingual American who has been living in Japan for the last 20 years.

By the way, Mahoutsukai means witich or wizard. It literally means one who uses magic.

Old February 14th, 2005, 7:09 am
Second Year

"How are you" wa nan desuka? (What is "how are you" in Japanese?) Tsuki, does anybody know the conjugation of future tense regular verbs? I would like to know how to say "I will ______" before I go to Japan Domo

Chiba_anna san, arigatou. I will check it out.

Feenikusu san, dozoyoroshiku. Watashi no tomodachi wa Gerumanni-jin desu. (not sure how to do German) (Nice to meet you Phoenix. My friend is German.)

Oyasumi gozaimasu, Kathryna san. Dozoyoroshiku. Watashi wa Pocky wo koishimasu! (Good evening Kathryna. Nice to meet you. I love Pocky!:yum

Gemma san, my spelling and typing are bad, too. Do not worry about it Part of it was just me wondering if you or I were correct. Happy Valentine's Day to you and everyone else, too! Happy Year of the Rooster, too!

Konnichiwa Alfonzo san. Dozoyoroshiku. (Hi Alfonzo. Nice to meet you) We can teach you Nihongo (Japanese), but not Mandarin. Try checking the "What Foreign Language Do You Study or Know?" thread for other Mandarin learners. Or start a thread to learn Mandarin in. That's what I did Good Luck!

LilyWright san to Mahoutsukai san, dozoyoroshiku. Arigatou for your offer of assisatnce. Please feel free to jump in and correct my grammar all you want. It is very bad.

Zyane warashi no tomodachi! (Cya my friends!)

Last edited by Muku_Muku; February 14th, 2005 at 7:13 am.
Old February 14th, 2005, 7:27 am
First Year

Japanese verb conjugation can be confusing as it depends on the whether the verb ends in u, iru or eru or is an irregular verb. The following page has a rather good explanation.
http://japanese.about.com/library/weekly/aa031101a.htm

You would do well to use the -masu form in most cases.

For example tabe-masu means I eat or I will eat, depending on the context.

Also, "How are you?" is "Ogenkidesuka?"

Old February 14th, 2005, 7:32 am
Second Year

Arigatou, Mahoutsukai

Old February 14th, 2005, 9:32 am
First Year

ウワー! ポッキ大好きだよ!~ 超うまいぞ! 何のフレイヴァを食べたの? (Uwah! Pokki daisuki da yo!~ Chou umai zo! Nan no fureivua o tabeta no?) (Uwah! I LOVE Pocky! It's REALLY delicious! ^o^ What flavours did you try out?)

I really need to brush up on my Japanese. I haven't been practising since I sat for an important public exam last year. ^^""

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab