Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

So you want to study Japanese?

Old March 16th, 2005, 12:54 am
Second Year

Konnichiwa Tuja. Welcome and nice to meet you (again...) Watashi wa Nihon-go koishimasu, to Nipon. I'm going there in under a year! Yippee!

Old March 16th, 2005, 1:04 am
Fifth Year

the only thing that i know what you said in that statement was konnichiwa.....and i haven't said that since i was 8 and in Brownies......wow....

The question is not whether we are, but what we are and who we are. --from Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you dreamed? And what if, in your dream, you went to heaven and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if, when you awoke, you had the flower in your hand? Ah, what then? --from Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

This is what I brought you this you can keep. This is what I brought you may forget me. I promise to depart just promise one thing. Kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep. --Prelude 12/21 by AFI

MySpace is love!
Old March 16th, 2005, 6:06 am
First Year

I know japanese only b/c my mom is japanese...

In Memory of William Reed Ollett '07'
"I'm trying to write a paper, talk to my sister, and talk to you about being lesbian!"
"I'm kind of a big deal... people know me." Yes Reed everyone knows you and we love you.
"I own many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."
Your favorite two quotes from Anchorman. Reed i love you soo much and i'm going to miss you!
Old March 16th, 2005, 6:26 am
First Year

....Im horrible at writing in romaji, but here goes....

Hajimema****e!! Watashi wa kariforunia daigaku santa barbara de Nihongo o benkyo****eimasu. Yon nen gurai Nihongo o benkyo****andesu ga, jugyou no soba de hanashi no renshu o amari shinakatta.
Minna san, ****sumon ga arun desu... Nihongo de katta Harry Potter no hon ga hoshii!! Dareka ga, intaneto de kau uebusaito ga ****eimasuka?

Old March 21st, 2005, 7:34 am
Second Year

translation kudasai?! Anata wa Santa Barbara ni desuka?! I live near there!

Old May 7th, 2005, 3:56 am
Banned

こんにち は! わたし は さくら です。わたし は アメリカ人 です。 にほんご が すき です。

Konnichi wa! Watashi wa Sakura desu. Watashi wa amerikajin desu. Nihongo ga suki desu.

My name's not really Sakura, but I've given up trying to make my first name work in katakana. I'm sorry that I don't have anything new to say, but I was so excited that I figured out how to say this that I had to post it.

Last edited by Goldberry; May 7th, 2005 at 4:02 am.
Old May 7th, 2005, 7:46 am
First Year

Konnichiwa! Boku wa ichinenkan gurai Nihongo o benkyou****eimasu. Kariforunia Daigaku Santa Kuruuzukoo no sannensei desu. Senmon wa Amerika Bungaku desu, demo Nihongo no jugyou mo totemo tanoshii desu yo. Kookoo no toki, Supengo o hanasema****a ga, takusan wasuremasu ne. Zannen desu ne. Koko de dareka Tampopo no eiga o mita koto ga arimasu ka? Nihongo wa utsukushii kotoba da to omoimasu.

"But O did you see the dead of Manassas
All the bellies and the bones and the bile?
No, I lingered here with the blankets barren
And my own belly big with child." - The Decemberists

See you space cowboy . . .
Old May 7th, 2005, 6:35 pm
First Year

Pretty good The Rubber Duck, but few mistakes here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rubber Duck
Kookoo no toki, Supengo o hanasema****a ga, takusan wasuremasu ne.
This should be "Kookoosei no koro, Supeingo o hanasema****a ga, takusan wasureteshimaimasita." (When I was a highschool student, I used to be able to speak Spanish, but I forgot most of it.) "toki" and "koro" are similar but "toki" points to an exact date while "koro" points to a more broader time frame. It sounds more natural to be ambiguous here. "Wasuremasu" sounds like you were trying to forget instead of forgetting from stopping the study of Spanish. So "wasureteshimaima****a" to imply that you would rather have been able to speak Spanish than forgetting. Also, don't use "ne" too much. It makes you sound like ...well, "like a girl". (And if you are a female, using "boku" is... well, don't do it unless you know what you are doing )

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rubber Duck
Koko de dareka Tampopo no eiga o mita koto ga arimasu ka?
This should be "Dareka Tampopo no eiga o mita koto ga arimasu ka?" You can drop "Koko de" because in this case, "Dareka" implies that you are talking to someone who wants to be in this conversation.

Old May 7th, 2005, 9:21 pm
Second Year

good timing, people. i have my japanese final on wednesday, and this thread will be some extra review for me, hahaha.
*ahem*
konnichiwa! hajimema****e doozo yoroshiku! watashi wa zannah desu. amerika jin desu. okurahoma daigaku no ninensei desu. nihongo o benkyosuru no ga ski desu. jyugyo no naka de nihongo ga ichiban ski desu. nihon ni ikitai desu.

good afternoon/hello! how do you do/nice to meet you! i'm zannah. i'm american. i'm a sophomore at the university of oklahoma. i like studying japanese. of my classes, i like japanese the best. i want to go to japan.

Old May 8th, 2005, 4:35 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlupin_loverx
nihongo o benkyosuru no ga ski desu. jyugyo no naka de nihongo ga ichiban ski desu.
"Nihongo ga ichiban suki desu." is enough here because you already said you are studying Japanese. Or put two together and say "Nihongo no benkyo ga ichiban suki desu." ((Out of all classes,) I like studying Japanese the best.) Again, you don't have to say "jyugyo no naka de" here because you had to be taking other classes when in a university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlupin_loverx
nihon ni ikitai desu.
Unless you already have a plan for going, "Nihon ni itte mitai desu." (I'm hoping to go to Japan) is better. Using "ikitai" here implies either that or you expect the listener to help arrange a trip to Japan.

Old May 8th, 2005, 5:19 am
First Year

Well its been a month but here's for a late translation of my post hehehe.

Hajimema****e!! Watashi wa kariforunia daigaku santa barbara de Nihongo o benkyo****eimasu. Yon nen gurai Nihongo o benkyo****andesu ga, jugyou no soto de hanashi no renshu o amari shinakatta.
Minna san, ****sumon ga arun desu... Nihongo de katta Harry Potter no hon ga hoshii!! Dareka ga, intaneto de kau uebusaito ga ****eimasuka?

And it means:

"Nice to meet you(roughly..lol) Im studying Japanese at UCSB(University of California Santa Barbara). Ive studied Japanese for about four years but I don't get much conversation practice outside of class (I meant to type soto but I typed soba >.< lol). I have a question.. I want a Harry Potter written in japanese (aka Japanese translation of Harry Potter). Does anyone know if theres a website where I can buy one?"

Once again sorry for waiting a month to respond... lol. Oh, and in response to Mukumuku, I go to UCSB but I commute from elsewhere,but I do spend a good amount of time up at UCSB for school and such

Old May 8th, 2005, 6:00 am
Second Year

Konnichiha all! Arigatou to all the new posters! I appologize for my complete lack of vocabulary anymore, but I stopped taking Japanese when my friends did, and I have had no time to practice recently. So...translation kudasai Zannah san, Goldberry san, The_Rubber_Duck san, to Nurikabe san, hajimema****e! Watashi no namae wa Muku-Muku desu. Nihon ni ikitai desu. Watashi wa neko wo koishi masu.

Zannah, Goldberry, The_Rubber_Duck, Nurikabe, nice to meet you! My name is Fluffy. I am going to Japan. I love cats. (for lack of anything better to say :P )

Malfoysferret: Watashi wa aikidoka Kariforunia daigaku Santa Barbara ni desu. Watshi no oyagi wa Goreta ni desu. Kare wa son dan aikido ni desu.

Old May 8th, 2005, 10:49 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurikabe
"Nihongo ga ichiban suki desu." is enough here because you already said you are studying Japanese. Or put two together and say "Nihongo no benkyo ga ichiban suki desu." ((Out of all classes,) I like studying Japanese the best.) Again, you don't have to say "jyugyo no naka de" here because you had to be taking other classes when in a university.

Unless you already have a plan for going, "Nihon ni itte mitai desu." (I'm hoping to go to Japan) is better. Using "ikitai" here implies either that or you expect the listener to help arrange a trip to Japan.
hmmm, interesting. we're still at the stage in class where things we say are really formal and probably needlessly detailed. hopefully soon we'll move to a more conversational style.
but all the same, arigatoo gozaimasu.

Old May 8th, 2005, 11:55 am
She Who Walks Behind

Hi, I can only speak a few words like sayoonara, konnichi wa, komban wa, dewa mata, baka ...
and a few sentences like "Ogenki desu ka"?

But I need help, could s.o. please translate the following sentences:

Zensokuryoku de mirai mo ima mo kake nukero

Sou boku wa ki zuitan da zutto shukudai wasureteta
Sore wa hitotsu no nazo nazo nazo "Boku wa dare nan darou?"

Suraidingu ****e surimuketa hiza itakutatte ne
Sugu tachiagaranakya chansu wa nigete yuku wakatteru sa

Yume miru koto ga subete hajimari sore ga kotae daro
Dare yori tooku e tonde miseru yo subete no asu wo tsuranuite

Chiheisen made tonde yuke hane wo moratta yuukitachi
Tsuyoku ookiku naru tame ni boku mo hashiridasou

Kikoete ita yo kaunto daun zutto mae kara
Junbi wa dekiteru sa ima sugu hajimeyou zero ni kaware!

Shinjirarenakya mabataki ****eru setsuna ni kieru yo
Kokoro no hyouteki sorasazu hashire subete no chikara butsukeyou

Zensokuryoku de mirai mo ima mo kake nukero

I know itīs a lot but itīs a song and I want to know what they are singing about.

The End of the Dream.
Old May 8th, 2005, 9:08 pm
Second Year

Hagimema****e Tenchi san! I would help you, but my vocabulary right now is limited to crazy things like 'Anata no heso wa kowai desu' and 'Watshi no oyagi wa baka desu.' What is the song from? Opening to an anime?

One note, though: it is arigatou, not arigatoo, konban wa, not komban wa, and sayounara, not sayoonara.

Zyane!

Old May 8th, 2005, 10:08 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Yes, your right. Itīs an anime. Itīs the opening song of Digimon Tamers, singer is Wada Kouji.

But in my dictionary itīs "komban wa" and I saw that s.o. wrote sayoonara (thought itīs the right way)

What is "'Watshi no oyagi wa baka desu". I know that yagi is "goat" and baka "stupid" and I believe Watashi is "You". So is it "You are a stupid goat?"

The End of the Dream.
Old May 9th, 2005, 3:02 am
Second Year

Oyagi is a very deragatory term for dad. It amounts to old fart or something. My dad taught it to me, so I use it sometimes. Watashi is 'I.' Therefore, 'my dad is stupid.' Don't blame me for my randomness. The other setence is 'your bellybutton is scary.' My first teacher had a weird sense of humor, so I know really strange words like heso and nori and biiru, but not ordinary things that I will need next year, except for 'toire/eki/hoteru wa doko desuka?'

Old May 9th, 2005, 5:45 am
Dobby

I speak Japanese. I tried to teach Japanese to my friends and their pronouciation always make me laugh.

Old May 9th, 2005, 6:10 am
Second Year

I learned Japanese when I was in preschool. The school was made in the eighties (when Japan was the center of comerce for the world) and the administration thought that we all should learn Japanese to give us an edge in the business world. Sadly, I remember nothing practical, save Jingle Bells and O Come All Ye Faithful translated into Japanese and sentences like "that is a cat"(sore wa neko desu). I do want to study it in college, though.

"I cared about you too much," said Dumbledore simply. "I cared more for your happiness than your knowing the truth, more for your peace of mind than my plan, more for your life than the lives that might be lost if the plan failed. In other words, I acted just as Voldemort expects we fools who love to act."
Old May 10th, 2005, 6:31 am
Second Year

Benjo wa doku desuka?

That's the only sentence I know (and I'm sure I've remembered it wrong--doesn't it mean "where's the bathroom?"). I only know random words, like tea and peach. Does anyone know where I can learn Japanese easily and CHEAPLY? I want to learn over the summer.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab