Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References > The Quibbler > Quibbler Breaking News > News archives > Minister for Magic Elections

Hermione Granger / Neville Longbottom for Minister for Magic

Old October 11th, 2008, 6:53 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: Hermione Granger / Neville Longbottom for Minister for Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Great job on the charity logo guys - a job well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
Great work! And lovely idea! Very well done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boushh View Post
Nice work guys! I think the charity really works with your candidates and it serves a good purpose.
Thank You we put a lot of skull sweat into this one ! It's nice to hear your kind comments .

twins

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2008, 1:39 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Great job guys! Love the logo too

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old October 12th, 2008, 1:01 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
Great job guys! Love the logo too
Thank You ,that was Klio's handy work.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old October 12th, 2008, 9:14 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I like the logo and the name of the charity! Great work!

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old October 12th, 2008, 9:27 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I loved the name of your charity and the logo you chose! It was so cute.

But, I did have a problem with your idea of the Wizarding World being 'too small' to support any charity (including your own) therefore requiring money from Muggles. When you consider that every single student at Hogwarts has to have a family (excluding those that are family members already) and adding who knows how many single/childless couples in the Wizarding World, there are going to be plenty of people to fund such events.

Besides, if the Wizarding World is small, then so would the number of people who would be in need of the charities we've come up with. In the end, I think everything balances itself out, and it isn't necessary for charities to borrow from Muggles, as it were. I'm not saying that you can't, but am rather going against your insinuation that other charities wont be able to maintane their personal funding.

Anyway, sorry for rambling a bit. That one little point doesn't take away from the fact that I did find your charity nicely presented (if a little wordy) and very nicely tied to the candidates character. Even putting a bit of Neville in the tagline-- "Sowing Seeds of Knowledge"

Old October 12th, 2008, 10:15 pm
Winning Teamster

[quote=wimblemimble;5156900]I loved the name of your charity and the logo you chose! It was so cute.

Thanks for that! I am happy you liked it.

The question about population is interesting. I'll answer that publicly in the exit poll thread.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old October 13th, 2008, 6:10 pm
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Wow! You guys really put a lot of thought into your charity and how it would work -- awesome job!

Old October 13th, 2008, 7:37 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Thank you very much, Pox! Your willingness to read through it and give us feedback is very much appreciatied!

Old October 13th, 2008, 8:17 pm
Qvack...

Just a note to say that I honestly liked your charity very much indeed, most specifically the logo, which I thought was fantastic altogether. I think you guys did a great job with this!

THE DUCK.

Old October 13th, 2008, 8:29 pm
Gryffindor's Smiley Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
Just a note to say that I honestly liked your charity very much indeed, most specifically the logo, which I thought was fantastic altogether. I think you guys did a great job with this!
That was all Klio's doing. In fact, most of this challenge was Klio's work. She took the idea and worked it and polished it and did a great job. Other helped, of course, but she did the lion's share of the work. I don't know what we'd do without her.

And thanks, Pox, as well. We appreciate the kind words.

Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has manyŚnot on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.ŚCharles Dickens

Proud Gryffindor!
Liberals want big government to ensure they don't fail; conservatives want small government so they can succeed.
Davy Crockett learned a valuable lesson our current congress should learn.

Old October 13th, 2008, 9:48 pm
Winning Teamster

Thanks indeed for reading, and for coming in to comment on our work. That's very much appreciated.

Den_Muggle is far too kind, though. I guess I can put together texts and things - but without the hard work and good ideas of our whole team nothing would ever get anywhere.....

Anyway - we are really grateful for a pat on the back once in a while

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old October 14th, 2008, 1:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
Thanks indeed for reading, and for coming in to comment on our work. That's very much appreciated.

Den_Muggle is far too kind, though. I guess I can put together texts and things - but without the hard work and good ideas of our whole team nothing would ever get anywhere.....

Anyway - we are really grateful for a pat on the back once in a while
I certainly didn't mean to disregard anyone's contributions. We get ideas from lots of very creative people in our group that are always a great help. It just seemed to me (from one who wasn't here much the last two weeks) that you deserved recognition for taking all those ideas and melding them into a great charity. Lots of people in our group contributed a piece of the puzzle, but you are the one who assembled it into a coherent message and deserve public recognition for all your hard work.

Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has manyŚnot on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.ŚCharles Dickens

Proud Gryffindor!
Liberals want big government to ensure they don't fail; conservatives want small government so they can succeed.

Old October 14th, 2008, 4:35 am
Neville Longbottom

Hermione, I have found the perfect spot for our university. Tyneham, in Dorset, is an abandoned village that has access by sea and land. It will not only provide a living space for students, professors and other employees of the university and area for the university/research buildings, but also a revenue stream and excuse for high turnover of population.

See, it was an old English village with little in the way of modern amenities when the people were forced to abandon it by order of the (muggle) Ministry of Defense. They turned it into a firing range for the muggle instruments of war, like tanks and such.

After the war, the government refused to allow the people to return as they had promised, and purchased the land. They continued using it for war training, demolishing many of the remaining buildings.

Then some of the muggles began demonstrating and demanding it be returned to the people. The muggle ministry compromised and restored the church (St. Mary’s) and the schoolhouse and now allow muggle tourists to visit on weekends, when the guns stop the shelling.

pics of Tyneham:    

I’ve spoken to Kingsley and he thinks he can convince the muggle Prime Minister to allow us to buy this land as long as we promise to restore the village and keep the area preserved in terms of the farmland and such. A big fear is that the remaining buildings will be knocked down and turned into a large mechanically farmed agricultural area and the history will be lost. Who could want to demolish this?

Or plow under all of this beauty?:    

We need to do something to help preserve this, and I think our university plans, if tweaked a bit, could fall in with this perfectly. Please go out there as soon as you can and let me know what you think.

Old October 14th, 2008, 4:36 am
Hermione Granger

Neville, you’re a genius! I popped out there for a quick visit and fell in love with the spot! If we can get title to this land, we can restore the village very quickly and invite any remaining wizards who used to live there to return and help. (From what I was able to learn, there is only one muggle still living, out of all those displaced during the war.) We can take advantage of its current reputation as a tourist attraction that will give us a built-in customer base. Since our wizards don’t use electricity and live an old-fashioned lifestyle for the most part, it would work out perfectly for everyone! There's a British Rail station at Wool, about four miles away on the Dorchester-Poole line. And there are great beaches nearby that are perfect for ships to anchor close enough for wizards to apparate ashore easily. It’s far enough from civilization to discourage visitors at non-appointed times, leaving the wizards to live their normal life through the week and only have to hide their magic on weekends.

There is a large section posted that is offlimits to muggles. We could have the university buildings there. (Magically locating and destroying all the unexploded ordinance shouldn’t be a problem.)

I even found the perfect entrance to the university:

It’ll be just like the visitor’s entrance to the MoM! It was installed just prior to the evacuation and has been preserved, although it is closed and non-functional now.

Old October 14th, 2008, 4:36 am
Neville Longbottom

I found some videos of the village we can use to plan the restoration:

Doesn't it look beautiful? Even in its desolation, there is a compelling beauty to the site. I could have spent all day there and intend to go back as soon as I can find a day. I'm taking Hannah, too. She'll love the peace there.

Old October 14th, 2008, 4:37 am
Hermione Granger

I found another video that lovingly demonstrates the beauty of the village. You're right about the peace there. Such tranquility is hard to find...especially on the campaign trail!

During my research into this location, I also found a very compelling reason for us to locate here. Muggles are finding things they shouldn’t in the area. If we are there, we can prevent these incidents!

That video should help convince both Kingsley and the muggle Prime minister to cooperate with this plan. It will help both worlds observe the statute of secrecy so much more easily…and allow us to help protect the merfolk living in the waters near there.

Old October 14th, 2008, 4:37 am
Neville Longbottom

And the students of the university can work their way through school as tour guides and helping with the restoration and preservation of the site. We can set up a trading store there for people to buy handmade items, food and produce and a pub that would be run just like one from 100 or more years ago. These could help with the ongoing expenses of running the university while the tourist fees can fund the upkeep of the museum buildings of the village (the church and school).

According to my research:

Quote:
Much of the area around the village is now covered in a rich variety of vegetation and wildlife with open fields on each side of the Purbeck hills and an area of woodland in the centre of the valley following a small stream down to the sea. The Purbeck hills, which start at Swanage, end around 1 mile west of Tyneham with a high cliff and long sandy beach below.
So we should have plenty of room and interesting plant life to study. The merfolk video you found made me think about gilleyweed. It grows wild all over that area!!

The church, St. Mary’s, is absolutely gorgeous.

St. Mary's:    

Muggles have been saying they want to restore the rectory and its outbuildings next, but we could do it so much better and more quickly!

Rectory:    

Once restored, can you imagine how beautiful and peaceful it would be to live here? Do you think I could convince Hannah to open a pub in this village and leave the bustle of London behind?

And we could restore this so the fountain is usable.

This would be such a great thing to do as it would help preserve history, increase interaction with muggles, help the students work their way through the school, help fund the university/research, and more. And we definitely want to protect the merfolk. It disgusted me to see the way the muggles had stuffed and mounted them for display like some animal or freak of nature. The exposure of the students to this different culture would be an added bonus. Merfolk know so much. They could add to our knowledge immensely. This keeps sounding better and better! I'll contact Kingsley today and try to expedite this!!

Old October 14th, 2008, 11:20 am

That village looks beautiful! I can hardly wait to get started on the restoration. Hope we hear from the Ministry soon!

And we must protect the merfolk there. Several different species of merfolk living in close proximity like that is rare and should be protected. Their knowledge will be invaluable for our university/research center, too. With the aid of the gillyweed, our students/researchers can spend a lot of time learning from these wise beings. I'm getting so excited about this!

Proud Gryffindor!

Old October 14th, 2008, 3:20 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Here's a heartfelt hug and kudos for all the work you guys are putting into this thread.Neville and Hermione's posts here are amazing.

Kudos to you all and too.

Lily

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:28 pm
Winning Teamster

Lilyrose, thanks!
It is always just so lovely to welcome visitors in here.

Any kind of comments are welcome - but of course, compliments simply seem to make the hard work of our group even more worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den_muggle View Post
I certainly didn't mean to disregard anyone's contributions. We get ideas from lots of very creative people in our group that are always a great help. It just seemed to me (from one who wasn't here much the last two weeks) that you deserved recognition for taking all those ideas and melding them into a great charity. Lots of people in our group contributed a piece of the puzzle, but you are the one who assembled it into a coherent message and deserve public recognition for all your hard work.

Thanks.

In the meantime, I am also getting rather excited about the Tyneham project (Den_muggle's awesome discovery). We hope to be able to keep everyone posted about progress.

We are also hoping to let you know a little more about the activities of our candidates on campaign, and some feedback they've had for their activities.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw

Last edited by Klio; October 14th, 2008 at 10:31 pm.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References > The Quibbler > Quibbler Breaking News > News archives > Minister for Magic Elections