Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Narcissa Malfoy: Character Analysis

Old December 20th, 2010, 8:50 pm
Second Year

Re: Narcissa Malfoy: Character Analysis

I see what you mean.

I see many shades of grey in their relationship. I agree that it humanizes them, and I agree that they loved each other dearly, passionately, perhaps to the point of obsession - in a good way.

But I also think that Lucius worked often and was very stressed in later years, and that a lonely Narcissa may not have felt adverse to having an affair, not necessarily with Snape. XD

Why it had to be Snape I don't know, I assume they just met through being Voldemort supporters and Lucius and Snape knowing each other, so Snape would have been at the Malfoy's house sometime. In any case, I felt that the "Unbreakable Vow" scene mirrored a wedding scene too much for me to ignore. I'd love to be able to ask JKR whether she was aware of this, or whether she even intended it, because it's just such a strong vibe that runs through the scene, and previously to reading it, I never would have thought of Narcissa/Snape, but all of a sudden it was just there.

However, even so, I don't think this would have cracked Narcissa's love for Lucius (an affair is, after all, just that, and not necessarily deep love) and they were genuinely clinging to each other for support inbetween 1995 and 1998 and probably beyond, while Voldemort made their lives less comfortable than they had previously been. <3

Something else I think about their marriage, though, is that it was arranged. I think Abraxas Malfoy and his wife and Cygnus and Druella Black were friends, saw their beautiful fair-haired pureblood children of roughly the same age and thought they'd just have to get to know each other. I think, all through school, Narcissa boasted with her beautiful boyfriend with an influential father and how she'd marry him one day ...and she did!

"A writer who claims to own a character absolutely denies the existence of that character's soul." ~
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2010, 2:22 am
Third Year

I have never considered a Snape-Narcissa relationship, although it is implied that they are quite close through their relationship with Lucius, I don't see them in an affair, somehow they are too close. Even if it wouldtn't have been totally out of character,as we see them being confident in each other presence, somehow there is still a distance. To me this distance is made of respect. I feel that Snape respects and appreciates Narcissa and she does the same with him.

To me Narcissa and Lucius relationship might have started as an arranged marriaged. Or at least a very encouraged romance through both parents, but later, they seem to have discovered they have a lot in common, they got on well, and finally love blossomed. They seem very respectful and supportive of one each other.

And I don't think Narcissa spent much time alone, Lucius lived on rents, so he must have spend the majority of the time at home only leaving for arranging things and influences. Plus for social life they seem to me like a couple who would do their social life together, in evenings with pureblood friends, fox-haunting (or whatever hobby high class wizards might have).

My Fic: Two Introverted Souls.http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=128320
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:43 am
Zonko's Employee

Where is this notion of pureblood marriages being arranged coming from? Is this something ever mentioned in canon? (I know it's a very popular trope with fanfic writers.)

I can't remember anything in the series about Lucius and Narcissa having an arranged marriage but perhaps I am wrong.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:06 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Where is this notion of pureblood marriages being arranged coming from? Is this something ever mentioned in canon? (I know it's a very popular trope with fanfic writers.)

I can't remember anything in the series about Lucius and Narcissa having an arranged marriage but perhaps I am wrong.
I don't think it is mentioned but it does seem like something purebloods would to to "preserve" their blood purity.

I think a good example of a arranged marriage is the marriage between Rodolphus and Bellatrix Lestrange as from what we saw in the books there was no love in that marriage. They seem to have no feelings for or against each other which to me does seem to indicate that their marriage was arranged.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:03 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:

I think the idea comes from the fact that pureblood families tend to place a lot of importance on, well, blood. Arranging marriages prevents the children from *gasp* falling in love with half-bloods or Muggleborns.

I'm from a culture where arranged marriage is still commonplace, and one of the reasons is the importance that is placed on caste. So purebloods having arranged marriages does not strike me too out of place.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:41 pm
Banned

Quote:

I think Pearl that if there were arranged marraiges happening in the WW, the parties doing the arranging were the bride and groom. You are correct, there is no mention whatsoever of arranged marriages in the books . I doubt Lucius would have married Narccisa if she had not been from a family that he, himself alone thought worthy of the privilige of being his bride. That he have loved her was a bonus IMO. As for Bellatrix marrying Rodulphus. There could be many reasons for her marrying him but I very much doubt pressure from her parents would have been one of them. She probably thought she liked him well enough and he came from the proper family, so he would have been a suitable husband. I rather doubt she loved him but she might have had feelings for him. They both looked for Voldemort together after the Potter's murder.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 2:03 pm
Second Year

I don't think that pureblood families generally pressure their children into marrying. I mean pressure in the extreme sense that we can see with arranged marriages in India, where bride and groom mightn't even know each other until they actually marry, there are sometimes huge age gaps and they have to marry even if they hate each other. I don't think that this is a rule among purebloods, or any wizarding families, any more than among Muggle families. So I don't think that Lucius and Narcissa's wedding was arranged in this way.

I do think it was encouraged and suggested by their parents, but the bride and groom were the ones to make the final decision. They just happened to agree with what their parents thought would be best, so there was no issue.

As for Snape/Narcissa, I think the distance observed between them can be put down to class difference. I see them in a bit of a Lady Chatterley situation (although Snape is much less common than that, he's still working class.) I also think they had a certain type of relationship that would allow for Narcissa's status to be above Snape's within their relationship in addition to the class difference, but I'm sure the mods wouldn't let me discuss that.

"A writer who claims to own a character absolutely denies the existence of that character's soul." ~
Old December 22nd, 2010, 2:34 pm
Zonko's Employee

Well, a lot of marriages do break down and there's nothing in the text to suggest why the marriage between Bellatrix and Rudolph was a loveless one. (Apart from Bella being a complete sociopath, that is. )

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

I am very much of the opinion that the love Narcissa and Lucius had for each other was very deep and real -- it's what we see in canon, and it's the element that humanises two characters whose worldview is questionable.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:13 pm
Third Year

I , like Captive Lolita, believe that marriages between purebloods, are not forced, but strongly encouraged. Narcissa was raised since young child to expect to marry a pureblood, and rich if possible, so when she found Lucius, she knew he was the man for her. Similarly, when Lucius met Narcissa, a beautiful girl of good family, he knew she was for her. Perhaps they could even known each other from before Hogwarts, and been friends all along, so marrying wast just a natural thing. That long-time friendship would explain their closeness.
JKR stated that Bellatrix married Rodolphus because it was what was expected of her. So in some way there was social pressure to marry and to do it with a pureblood. But I don't believe it reaches the end of India's arranged marriages. They just keep their offsprings in very closed circles and encouraged them to choose partner among those people.

My Fic: Two Introverted Souls.http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=128320
Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I think it's definitely possible that some Pureblood marriages are arranged - don't see why not, since the Wizarding World is quite old-fashioned and there were even arranged marriages in most countries at the turn of the last century, especially among the aristocracy.

I think the evidence for arranged marriages are the comments in the books about how anyone who marries a Muggleborn or Muggle is shunned by their families, such as Andromeda Black who didn't marry the "right" kind of person. Therefore, the logical idea is that family pressure might encourage some couples to marry, which is what JKR said about Bellatrix realizing she had to marry a Pureblood because it was "expected."

Just reading between the lines, I think people could arrange marriages informally, such as in Pride and Prejudice Lady Catherine wanting her daughter to marry her cousin Darcy, etc. JMO

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old December 31st, 2010, 2:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101 View Post
I think Pearl that if there were arranged marraiges happening in the WW, the parties doing the arranging were the bride and groom. You are correct, there is no mention whatsoever of arranged marriages in the books . I doubt Lucius would have married Narccisa if she had not been from a family that he, himself alone thought worthy of the privilige of being his bride. That he have loved her was a bonus IMO.
I agree, I don't see anything in the series to suggest arranged marriages, of the kind where the parents choose the partners, with the bride and groom having no say in the matter. It seems to me, though, that there would have been some control over marriages, from the elitist families, like the Malfoys and Blacks (possibly the Lestranges?). I imagine those families raised their children to believe that only a proud pureblood was a potential life-partner. They would have grown up knowing that any future spouse would have to be a pureblood, and a pureblood who valued blood purity, at that. In that sense, their choices would have been limited, but I don't think that parents actually picked out spouses for their sons and daughters. Personally, I think that Lucius' love for his family is his only redeeming feature, and her love for her family is one of Narcissa's few redeeming features. I think their marriage was their own decision, but within the confines of what was expected of them.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old December 31st, 2010, 4:42 pm
First Year

Quote:
Well, a lot of marriages do break down and there's nothing in the text to suggest why the marriage between Bellatrix and Rudolph was a loveless one. (Apart from Bella being a complete sociopath, that is. )

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

I am very much of the opinion that the love Narcissa and Lucius had for each other was very deep and real -- it's what we see in canon, and it's the element that humanises two characters whose worldview is questionable.
There's as good as, she's the only female character who expresses no outward love for their husband, she expresses no love other than obsessive love to Lord Voldemort. Narcissa clearly loves Lucius and Draco, Molly clearly loves all the Weasley's, it seems Andromeda loves Ted, Hermione even clearly loves Ron. Whereas Bella never really mentions Rodolphus. The lack of love is shown by that, and also Bella is the only of the Black sisters to have no children (unless I've missed something massive when I read the books).

Old December 31st, 2010, 5:02 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I agree, I don't see anything in the series to suggest arranged marriages, of the kind where the parents choose the partners, with the bride and groom having no say in the matter.
That's not an 'arranged marriage' as we understand it nowadays.

Quote:
It seems to me, though, that there would have been some control over marriages, from the elitist families, like the Malfoys and Blacks (possibly the Lestranges?). I imagine those families raised their children to believe that only a proud pureblood was a potential life-partner. They would have grown up knowing that any future spouse would have to be a pureblood, and a pureblood who valued blood purity, at that. In that sense, their choices would have been limited, but I don't think that parents actually picked out spouses for their sons and daughters.
I agree and disagree with this. I think those pureblood families were a lot like Asian families nowadays. I don't think you know quite how arranged marriages work. There is a lot of pressure in many families to marry the 'right kind of person' meaning a person from the same region and same caste of a certain income level and profession. Of course good manners and compatibility of values is also important. Good looks are a bonus. Often the families subtly arrange meetings with suitable brides or grooms. It's a complicated process that doesn't involve physical force - nevertheless familes can exert a lot of mental and emotional pressure on their offspring to act in according with their wishes.

For the Black sisters, I imagine there was a small group of suitable men, and they were expected to choose one among them. Some of them would have been more suitable than others.JK Rowling herself said that Bella married Rodolphus because that was expected of her.

In that world, I'm certain Lucius Malfoy was considered quite the catch. I'm sure Narcissa was very proud of herself.

Also, just because a marriage is arranged doesn't mean it's loveless. Last time I checked, most Asian couples including my parents had arranged marriages and they all love each other deeply.

Old December 31st, 2010, 7:05 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
That's not an 'arranged marriage' as we understand it nowadays.

I agree and disagree with this. I think those pureblood families were a lot like Asian families nowadays. I don't think you know quite how arranged marriages work. There is a lot of pressure in many families to marry the 'right kind of person' meaning a person from the same region and same caste of a certain income level and profession. Of course good manners and compatibility of values is also important. Good looks are a bonus. Often the families subtly arrange meetings with suitable brides or grooms. It's a complicated process that doesn't involve physical force - nevertheless familes can exert a lot of mental and emotional pressure on their offspring to act in according with their wishes.

For the Black sisters, I imagine there was a small group of suitable men, and they were expected to choose one among them. Some of them would have been more suitable than others.JK Rowling herself said that Bella married Rodolphus because that was expected of her.

In that world, I'm certain Lucius Malfoy was considered quite the catch. I'm sure Narcissa was very proud of herself.

Also, just because a marriage is arranged doesn't mean it's loveless. Last time I checked, most Asian couples including my parents had arranged marriages and they all love each other deeply.
Of course I don't know how an 'Arranged Marriage' would work in an Asian family but I do know how marraige works in a closed community such as my own, Gypsy/Travellar. The bride and groom will usually meet at a family occasion and if they like each other a certain amount of courtship will take place. The thing about this courtship is that the couple will never be alone together. They will be alone after the wedding which will be paid for by the Bride's father. They have to at least like each other and of course they will be from the same type of family, they may even be related and the couple will recieve money from both sets of parents to help them set up their own home. What would make this similar to what I imagine a courtship between a Pure Blood couple is that the Bride and Groom would not look outside of their clan so to speak for a mate. Nobody arranges these marraiges, but they stay in family anyway.

Old December 31st, 2010, 8:47 pm
Second Year

Yes, I can imagine an affair between Narcissa and Snape. I think they liked each other. Snape would always love Lily, but things happen... There may have been times when she would have sought some comfort out of her own home, not being able to tell Lucius how afraid she was for Draco.. He pushed Draco a lot... I think she loved Lucius, but I imagine she was also somewhat afraid of him... I sure would be...!

Old December 31st, 2010, 9:10 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I think there is a difference in that Narcissa and Lucius would have attended Hogwarts. Maybe they dated at school, maybe they didn't. We don't know. However, unless there's a big gap in their ages, (and I don't think there is) as they had both been Slytherins they wouldn't need to be introduced by their parents. I also think that Lucius' and Narcissa's respective families brough them up knowing that it was unthinkable that they should consider anyone other than a pureblood partner, someone who valued blood purity. I don't imagine the parents introduced the couple to each other, I think Narcissa and Lucius did choose who they would marry, not from a selection of people, but within a very strict boundary - a pureblood who is not a blood traitor being an important factor, preferably influential. I think the thing is, Narcissa and Lucius themselves would not even consider a relationship with someone who didn't meet those criteria, because of the attitudes they had grown up with.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old January 10th, 2011, 4:59 pm
Second Year

I always thought that it was arranged; their parents would know each other, and while they didn't need introducing as Slytherin is a small house and they went to school together, I don't think that they were in love, the same as I always though that Bella and Rodulphous's was arranged.

I think that she was only with Voldemort because her husband was, and she wanted to stay with her sister and Draco. Plus, they were in house, so there wasn't a lot that she could do. She seems a bit like a straggler, someone who's just there because the people that she loves are.

I have a huge crush on Helena Bonham Carter. Who knew mad could look so good?
Old March 27th, 2011, 3:59 am
First Year

Ive always had a thing for the Malfoys as a family and Ive always liked Narcissa, especially her name the way you say it, if you say it in a bit of a haughty way it sounds extra cool and how its background/meaning is so vain.

I always imagined that Lucious and Narcissa were mad about each other and got the impression that the Malfoys were a very tight family even before DH. I go these impressions probably in just the way you give whole personalities you like to side characters you are interested in by just little snippets you pick up.I would definatly like to know more about her.

It always seems out of character to me when people used to think Draco was mistreated by his father. Draco is always suprisingly intense when Harry insults his mother or father. And Draco is undoubtably to me SPOILD by both his parants.

And Im suprised at how some people thought Narcissa was just a trophy wife. I think a passage that formed my opionion of her was where Draco said his father wanted him to go to Durstrang but his mother wanted him to go to Hogwarts to be close. So Narcissa won, when it comes to something she really wants. Lucious just does the buisnes and death eater stuff. She seemed totally in character in
DH.

And look at Molly and Arthur they just happen to be pureblood and love each other. So Lucious and Narcissa dont have to have had their marrage arranged. And I took the way Narcissa said so fiercely to bellatrix in HBP "dont you dare-dont you dare blame my husband" to mean she really likes her husband.

I really do wonder what she thinks of Andromeda though. Even Bellatrix seems to have some ideals for treatment of sisters when we see her and "Cissy" running to spinners end and Narcissa almosts hexes her or whatever.

I think it would be just weird and make her less of a character to me if Narcissa just cared about her son, not her husband or sisters. Why the obssesion with one person in her life?

Last edited by S_mackrell; March 27th, 2011 at 7:51 am.
Old July 20th, 2011, 7:15 am
Hogwarts Graduate

It occurred to me today that in the battle of Hogwarts, Narcissa would have seen her sister Bellatrix die. Yet when we see the Malfoys in the Great Hall after the battle they are huddled together wondering if they ought to be there. I'd have expected some signs of distress from Narcissa after her sister's death. (I don't expect her to grieve for her niece as she didn't apparently know Tonks and I assume had cut Andromeda off like the rest of her family). I'd assumed Narcissa loved Bellatrix but she didn't really seem grief-stricken.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old July 23rd, 2011, 1:36 am
Second Year

I think deep down Narcissa followed what her husband wanted and may not always have agreed with him when it comes to the Death Eater stuff. I don't think it was out of fear but more of "I don't know what to really do so I'll just play along" type of attitude. I was and still am in shock that she knelt down next to Harry after Voldemort tried to kill him again in DH and asked if her son was still alive. To me that said that she never believed in Voldemort and although Harry was hated by Lucius and Draco; she clearly had no issues with him because she lied to Voldemort and told him Harry was dead. I find that interesting that although she never really had any dealings with Harry that she was willing to risk getting killed if Voldemort found out she lied. Anyone else think she had a lot of respect for Harry? Or could it be that she just wanted her son and that was all?

In favor of Book 7 being as long as an unabridged dictionary!

You people seriously need to understand me!

Dragon Heartstring Ash 7 inches
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies