Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References > The Quibbler > Quibbler Breaking News > News archives > Minister for Magic Elections

Cedric & George: Going Forward Together In One United World

Old October 23rd, 2008, 1:57 am
Cedric Diggory

Cedric & George: Going Forward Together In One United World

After the shock of Kingsley Shacklebolt’s announcement that he was retiring, there was a scramble to find a replacement.

The Ministry of Magic has let it be known that, modelling itself on the Muggle World, the Wizarding world would hold democratic elections to fill the post.

Considering the complexities of the modern world, and the very real possibility that in the very near future, the two worlds would have to at least acknowledge each other’s existence, and maybe even cooperate to face some common problems, it was also decided that the Minister would be assisted by a Deputy Minister. Thus, it would not be one candidate who would run, but a ticket of two candidates.

As everyone knows by now, eight teams are in the running. This thread is dedicated to one of those teams: Cedric Diggory and George Weasley.

Breaking News!

Interviewed on his decision to run, Cedric Diggory made the following statement :

I believe the time has come for a change of direction in this first decade of the new Millenium. And I believe I’m the one who can bring our whole community forward into the future.

“We stand on the brink of great possibility, great opportunity. A Brave New World. We have reached a crossroads in our history. Shall we take the safe road, the one that traverses well-worn paths into static oblivion . . . the road that once produced a Voldemort?

Or do we risk? Do we try a new road? I'm all for that new road. Together, George and I, the Ministry staff, as well as all of you, can accomplish things that the Wizarding and Muggle worlds have never known before. Will you join us? Will you give us your trust and your vote? In return, we will work tirelessly for you. I promise I will never deceive you, never lie to you. I will never let you down. That is my solemn pledge as a candidate for Minister of Magic.”

Last edited by Cedric Diggory; October 23rd, 2008 at 6:10 am.
Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2008, 1:58 am
George Weasley

Re: Cedric & George: Going Forward Together In One United World

On his part, George Weasley had this to say :

“All that I learned in my life, I bring to you today, under the leadership of Cedric Diggory.

“We complement each other perfectly. I’ll temper his idealism with my knowledge of everyday’s realities. My business experience will serve well in economic matters and foreign relations. But also, I’ll lighten his gravity with my sense of fun. Which does not mean that I won’t take the job seriously. The future of the Wizarding Community and of all other inhabitants of Planet Earth depends on how we, Wizards and Witches, Goblins, Merpeople, Centaurs and Muggle work together to live in harmony and prosperity, while preserving and protecting our common home, our common heritage.

“There is no greater, nobler goal than this. To this goal, to Cedric and to all of you, I pledge myself to the best of my abilities.”

George Weasley

Last edited by George Weasley; October 23rd, 2008 at 6:13 am.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 1:59 am
Cedric Diggory

This announcement was greeted with great enthusiasm, especially among the young. We received this picture and poem by hpkid421, a second-year Hogwarts student:

Production of campaign ads, posters and buttons immediately began, starting with this animated ad:

More promotional campaign items will follow, as well as biographies of the candidates, their platforms, the public reaction and the endorsements they received.

Last edited by Cedric Diggory; October 23rd, 2008 at 6:11 am.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 5:08 am
Banned

Voted "The Hottest Candidate" by Witch Weekly!

Don't miss the October issue of Witch Weekly with its "Hotties Contest" among candidates. Our Cedric wins this contest, Harry Potter comes in second.

Run to your nearest newstand, or order by owl. You don't want to wake up and find that it's sold out!

Credits: Magazine Cover by the astounding GotTriplets, who also did the Crystal Ball image posted earlier. The poem is by hpkid421, the pic is Susan's.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 5:38 am
Banned

Promotional Items for Sale at WWW's

At WWW's and other authorized outlets and campaign offices, you'll find many campaign promotional items for sale, among others these campaign buttons (they come with or without picture, according to the level of sobriety in design you're looking for):

or

You'll also find packs of playing cards featuring George as Joker:

We also have this Cedric Diggory Chocolate Frog card:

Credits: Button with pictures by VampiricDuck of the Snape/Molly Campaign, the other three pics by our own Gottriplets.

Last edited by Muggle_Magic; October 23rd, 2008 at 6:01 am. Reason: Addition
Old October 23rd, 2008, 6:18 pm
Banned

Campaign Products Catalogue

For a catalogue of the promotional stuff you can get at Weasleys Wizards Wheezes and at our campaign HQ, field offices, and other approved outlets, see this slide show:

All pictures by members of the team, plus two donations, one from VampiricDuck, the other one from Mexicant, whom we thank very much.

After the video was released, VDucky sent in a better version of her banner, which is reproduced below:

Last edited by FleurduJardin; October 23rd, 2008 at 6:26 pm. Reason: Typo
Old October 23rd, 2008, 7:04 pm
Banned

Endorsements

The Cedric & George Campaign has received many endorsements, from like-minded people from 7 to 777 years old.

Here are a few:

From UNACEF, with a nice little note from the children, which we reproduce here:

Letter from UNACEF Kids:    

October 20th, 2008

Dear Cedric and George,

We the children who have benefited so much from your generous support to our organization and who believe in what you're trying to do, would like you to know that we support you totally. We will bug our parents to make sure they vote for you.

We made two posters that we hope will help.

Sincerely,

Miska, Tina, Tzi, Aria, Gripnok and Wrrgrlina for the UNACEF kids

There were two posters enclosed:
and

At the other end of the age range, we had this from the Old Rocking Wizards Home:

Not forgetting, from Beyond the Veil, the most important endorsement of all:

Mind Dumbledore's words, now! When the time comes to vote, Remember Cedric Diggory!

Old October 23rd, 2008, 8:08 pm
Banned

Poems for Cedric & George

Our Campaign Manager, hpkid421, unfortunately has been without the use of a computer for the past few weeks.

However, he has penned a number of poems for the campaign so, since he's not here, let me reproduce some of his work for him (you already had a sample earlier, the little quatrain about a ghost and drinking champagne.)

O how we love our diggory
even though he's not fast enough on the triggery
that's why he died at the hand of pettigrew
and not here to talk to me and you
(why i'm rhyming i have no clue)
we now teamed up with the brother of fred
fred which is dead like our dear ced

Now were together diggory and weasley
even though this line may be weak and measley
fred and ced's death was so tragic
now we are trying to make Him our MINISTER OF MAGIC!!!!

Then we have:
O Cedric, so noble, so brave, and so kind.
O, How we wish that you kicked Voldy's behind.

O Cedric, so fair, so modest, are you.
So sad how you died fighting You-Know-Who.

O Cedric, so smart, so good-looking you are.
Which is why you are better than others by far.

So Cedric, your awesome, your neat, and your coo(l)
Thats why the next minister of magic, are you

And another one (quite prolific he is, our Kiddo!):
The Graveyard

1,2,3, They both grabbed the cup and flew through the air
they landed in a graveyard. Why were they there?

Harry let out a scream as a figure appeared.
He looked very creepy and really weird.

"Get back to the cup!" screamed Harry.
The way he said it was very scary.

Ced raised his wand and demanded who was there.
Then a voice issued kill the spare.

He heard the incantation from somewhere beyond,
Then, everything was gone.

There are several others, but I'll wait a bit and intersperse poems with other postings.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 8:45 pm
Banned

More Endorsements

The Cedric & George Campaign is happy and proud to announce they have received two more endorsements, from a prominent individual and an important association in the world of Quidditch.

First, we got the endorsement of Pogo Possum of Okeefenokee Swamp. Pogo, you will recall, is one of the early proponents of the fight against pollution and the protection of our environment. His quote, "We have met the enemy and he is us", has become a household phrase.

He first sent a poster endorsing only Cedric, before he learned that Cedric would run as part of a ticket with George, so he sent another one. Here are both:

We also received an endorsement from the International Association of Seekers - Cedric having been one of them.

Credits: Pogo posters tweaked by VampiricDuck; Seekers banner by GotTriplets. We made sure the Pogo picture was in the public domain.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:15 pm
Triple Threat in Third Place

Here is a special endorsement from the following beautiful young ladies!!!!

Last edited by gottriplets; October 24th, 2008 at 5:19 pm.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:55 pm
Banned

More Poems

Your Triplets are adorable, Susan! One could not wish for better supporters for Cedric and George!!

I thought in the meanwhile I'd post more of hpkid421's poems.

Cedric Diggory is the man
He will work for you even if your not a fan.

Cedric Diggory stands for change.
He will step out of his comfortable range.

With him as minister you will be protected.
Of him many statues will be erected

This is basically the same idea with a few variations:

The time has come for change,
It's time to step out of your comfortable range.

Cedric has a plan, I have seen it,
That's why i would follow him to the end of a bottomless pit.

Some have said, "Yes we can."
Others say Cedric, Cedric, He is our man.

The future is bright, my friends i can tell.
If Cedric becomes minister, all will be swell.

If he is elected,
Many statues will be erected.

So in summary, Cedric is the man, indeed.
He stands for change and will always help those in need.

Old October 24th, 2008, 3:16 am
Banned

I thought it a good idea to reprint an editorial that The5thChampion posted at the start of the campaign:

A CHAMPION FOR A CHAMPION

By The Fifth Champion

I was only a 4th-Year Hogwarts student when the TriWizard Tournament took place. A Hufflepuff, I was for Cedric all the way. Oh, I admired Harry Potter’s punk, but Cedric had something about him, something that made you want to cheer him on, or to follow him to the gates of H*** if necessary.

Cedric was and is everything Hufflepuff stands for: fair-play, solidarity, loyalty, tenacity. A badger doesn’t let go. A badger never leaves his Sett-mates in the lurch. (A Sett, should you not know it, is a badgers’ den.)

He was the best Prefect ever. He was always fair with everyone, never pulled rank on us. I have no doubt he'd have made Head Boy if he'd lived.

Fair-play: Only the year before, during that Quidditch match played in a raging storm, when Harry fell off his broom because of a Dementor attack and Cedric caught the Golden Snitch, winning the game fair and square, he actually asked for a rematch when he realized what had happened. Do you know many 16-year-olds who’d do that? Can you imagine a Slytherin or even a Gryffindor doing that? Oliver Wood’d have done cartwheels on his broom if such a thing happened to the opposing team. Not Cedric.

A Hufflepuff also stands for solidarity. It doesn’t matter if we don’t get to wherever we’re going first, as long as we get there together. No mate left behind. We say it, we mean it.

Cedric could give lessons in loyalty to Gryffindors like Pettigrew. His selling out his friends is unthinkable. His letting us down when he’s Minister of Magic is equally unthinkable.

And remember just why Cedric died. He could have beaten Harry to the Cup, but out of a spirit of fair-play, he tried to walk away from a glory Hufflepuff hadn’t known for centuries. How many boys or grown men would have had the moral fiber to do that? It’s possible that, if he’d shown up at the graveyard alone, Voldemort would have sent him back just to get Harry. That, we’ll never know. What we do know is that they went together, and Cedric was there, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Just a “spare”.

Well, that spare will now show Voldemort who’s the better man, and the better wizard.

George Weasley is the ideal running mate for him. He’ll lighten up Cedric’s seriousness, and his business acumen will be a good counterweight to Cedric’s idealism. Together they will do great things.

That is why I am campaigning for Cedric Diggory and George Weasley and why I think they’ll be the best team at the head of the Ministry of Magic that the Wizarding World has ever known.

Old October 24th, 2008, 3:48 am
First Year

----------

Old October 24th, 2008, 5:29 am
Banned

The "Energy, enthusiasm and Excellence" needs to comb his hair. But at least it looks shampoo'd.

Looking through old posts, I found this poem by, not a member of our team but... Ignisia! We really are cooperating a lot with this other team, aren't we?

It's so fun to rhyme for our Ced
Even though he is gone and dead
We may be such nerds
To string together these words
But it proves we have brains in our heads.

(Is there really going to be a debate? )

Old October 24th, 2008, 6:17 am
First Year

Q: You've emphasized the need for the Wizarding community to take a more proactive interest in world ecological problems, even if we haven't contributed to them. Can you elaborate on why you believe we need to get involved in this problem -- and why you think there IS a problem? Some Muggle scientists have argued that "global warming" is a figment of media imagination. Our planet naturally warms and cools across millennia and the current trend is not significant.

A: Let me address the second half of that first, because if people don't believe there's a problem in the first place, there's obviously no reason to step in and fix it.

It's true that overall planetary temperatures have risen and fallen throughout history, especially when looking at macro-history. BUT the difference this time is that the changes are happening too swiftly, like the rapid melting of polar ice caps, or the holes in the ozone layer that contribute to those higher planetary temperatures in the first place. This is not manufactured data. Over-melting ice and rising ocean levels are canaries in the coal mine.

And it's human activity that's speeding it up. In fact, it looks like these changes are actually happening faster than even the moderate voices have been saying. For once, the so-called "doom-speakers" appear to be closer to the mark than the moderates.

Some people wonder why it matters if polar bears become extinct, or tigers, or great apes, or any of a host of other animals currently endangered. Extinction is part of the cycle of life on the planet. After all, we wouldn't be here if the dinosaurs hadn't lost their battle with evolution.

Again, that's true so far as it goes, but it misses the bigger picture. We're losing species at a frightening rate. That isn't normal. As a result, entire ecosystems -- on which we depend too -- are in danger of being destabilized, or outright destroyed. It's not a few polar bears, or a few tigers. These are top-end predators that keep other animal populations in check, and if those other populations explode, there are too many mouths to feed and it causes a deficit in the food they depend on . . . and on it goes.

It's all bound up together. And there's a point past which it just can't recover. We're too close to that point. So to answer the first part of the question, we need to pay attention because we live here too. At this point, it doesn't matter who started the fire. When your house is burning down, you don't argue about who dropped the lamp. You stand shoulder to shoulder and use your Aguamenti spells.

My campaign has released a comprehensive plan that suggests concrete ways to tackle a number of these global environmental issues. I hope people will take time to read through it, or at least read through the initial outline of the plan. It may be a complicated problem, but I firmly believe human beings are nothing if not creative in solving such complicated problems. We've done it before; we can do it again.

-----------------

Q: You're dead. Being completely frank here, you're dead. How do you honestly expect to run a government from Beyond the Veil? There are situations in which the physical presence of the Minister is necessary.

A: (He laughs.) Well, yes, I rather am dead! But I plan to run the government the same way I've run this campaign. It is possible.

You're completely right that there are times the physical presence of the Minister is necessary, and this is where a Deputy Minister comes into play. It may be an atypical solution, but it still works. The real advantage of having someone from Beyond the Veil in charge is that I HAVE had the chance to see things from a distance -- be less personally involved. And being dead, I don't need the same size paycheque other Ministers have drawn, not to mention all the other perks that are afforded to a Minister. Voters don't have to worry that I'm doing this for personal gain or fame. I have no need of either one. I'm running because I care about our people and our future.

-----------------

Q: It's been asked before, but we'll ask it again -- what if the Muggles just aren't interested in unification with wizards? Or even in peace with them? What if attempts to open the lines of communication just results in a pogrom like the Inquisition or the Witch Trials?

A: It is a fair question, but I think it also assumes this is something we'd try to RUSH through, or -- worse -- dump on the Muggles with no preparation. "Oh, hullo there! You know all those fairytales about witches and wizards? Well, they happen to be true! Surprise!" (He laughs again.) That's obviously not the way to do it.

Our existence is already know to high-placed Muggles in most world governments, so we'd start there. And there are ways of preparing people for new information, even surprising and upsetting information. Whole books have been written about information management. If given warning and time to prepare, and if the introduction is couched in positive terms -- look at what this offers us -- I don't think we'd necessarily have to worry about a general panic in the Muggle population. Expecting panic is overly pessimistic. Framing is all. Any revelation would have to come in stages, and over time, and be carefully prepared for.

Once again, I've laid out a comprehensive plan for how this could be done as part of our campaign platform. I also recognize that other magical governments might be opposed to this idea -- even violently opposed to it -- so I'm aware that what I'm suggesting is the first step on a very long road. It took decades for us to disentangle ourselves from the Muggles. We won't be able to reintegrate with them overnight.

The basic thing we have to keep in mind is that -- at some point -- Muggle technology that can uncover our existence will outstrip our ability to hide. We can either CONTROL how we're reintroduced -- let it be on our terms -- or we can have that choice ripped away from us. If people fear a pogrom, an uncontrolled, unintended revelation is most likely to result in one.

In short, and put bluntly, we can't continue sticking our heads in the sand, hoping the Muggles won't notice our arses sticking up in the air. I fear that's just begging for calamity. We need to take positive steps towards reintroduction, even while remaining aware that it'll take a while.

Last edited by Minisinoo; October 24th, 2008 at 8:30 am.
Old October 25th, 2008, 2:12 am
Banned

I beg your indulgence for the following video - Time and technical constraints made it impossible to put in all the explanatory transitions necessary, but everyone who knows the story will have no problem following it.

It's called "The Life and Loves of George Weasley". You all know his life. He loves his family, his siblings especially his twin (alas now Beyond the Veil), his wife Angelina, Quidditch, making jokes, running a joke shop and, more recently running for political office.

That's what this video is trying to show. All material in it come from the movie, from members of the campaign team, with invaluable help from the Snape team (in this case the sweet and marvelous Boushh and VampiricDuck), except for two pieces of fan art (see credits).

The Life and Loves of George Weasley

Acknowledgements and Credits:    

Disclaimer: The Cedric/George team and vampiricduck do not own or profess to own any of the art here used. The following is a list of artists to whom credit is due. We are not receiving any money or relevant reward in relation to the use of this artwork and appreciate that none of it is ours. If any of the artists here mentioned do not wish their art to be used in this capacity, please make this known to us through email and we will remove it as soon as possible.
Headshots of George and Angelina provided from juvett's Weasley Family Tree at deviantart.
Caricatures of Angelina, Cedric and George included here are reproduced from The Harry Potter Project, by cippow25 at deviantart.
Quaffle For A Kiss by DKCissner at deviantart.
Angelina and George drawing taken from The Gruyffindor Quidditch Team, by Aedua at deviantart.
Angelina in Gryffindor Robes taken from Angelina Johnson, by xanykaos at deviantart.

Last edited by FleurduJardin; October 25th, 2008 at 2:16 am. Reason: Add title and credits
Old October 25th, 2008, 4:21 am
Banned

In case you haven't read - or read it so long ago it didn't stick in your memories - Ced & George's first speeches, here they are again:

Cedric Speech:    

My fellow Wizards and Witches,

I believe the time has come for a change of direction in this first decade of the new Millenium. And I believe I’m the one who can bring our whole community forward into the future.

In my fifth year at Hogwarts I was made a Hufflepuff prefect. Serving the school in that capacity gave me a sense of what administration and role modeling truly was: the work involved, the extra time -- and the responsibility I owed to others -- not just a shiny badge on my chest. My experience as Quidditch Captain taught me what qualities a leader should have: how to inspire, how to encourage -- even how to provoke, when necessary. And of course, the Goblet of Fire thought me qualified enough to make me the Hogwarts Champion in the Triwizard Tournament. There, I did well enough to tie with Harry Potter despite the fact the cards had been stacked in his favour by the younger Crouch masquerading as Moody. As we now know, Crouch was working for Voldemort, seeing to it that Harry would win, reach the Cup, and thus fall into Voldemort’s clutches. They didn't expect two of us to reach the cup. And thus, I -- just a regular boy from Devon -- faced Voldemort, too, however briefly. It was long enough for me to see and recognize evil.

But it was being in Hufflepuff itself that honed in me the qualities of fairness, justice and solidarity that I will bring with me to the Ministry.

Since my death, I’ve also been able to watch the Wizarding World through the Veil. I could see the former Ministers’ qualities, and their flaws. I’ve seen where they erred -- and I will not repeat their mistakes.

I’ve observed the other Magical races: Centaurs, Merpeople, Giants, Goblins, Elves, etc. I believe we can all live in peace and even cooperation with each other and work together for a better future for us all. All we need is good will and dialogue

I’ve also watched the Muggle World and believe there are things we can learn from them. Yes, that's right -- we can learn from our Muggle brethren. More to the point, we and the Muggles share the same planet, which is in great peril today both from Man and from Nature.

Centuries ago, when our society decided the wise course meant removing ourselves from Muggle awareness, their wars were limited in scope and casualties. That time is long past. Muggle wars can now claim the lives of millions. We may think we are safe from their weapons, that they can't touch us -- but we aren't safe if we don't expect the attack. Muggle science may not be as flexible as our magic, especially on the small scale. But on the grand scale, it can do great things, astonishing things. Muggles have walked on the moon. Muggles have sent their machines to Mars. What wizard can claim so much?

But Muggle science can also do terrible things. Just half a century ago, two Muggle bombs killed over 100,000 people in two cities -- all within less than a minute. How many wizards died that day because they didn't expect the attack, believing their magic protected them? No magic can protect you from vaporization. How many wizards and witches have died in the Muggles' wars or terrorist attacks? Muggles now have sophisticated conventional and biochemical weaspons, also atomic missiles than can strike across an ocean within minutes. We cannot outrun them, we cannot outgun them, and we cannot hide from them anymore.

I am not saying these things to be alarmist. I am not trying to scare you. Unlike Voldemort, I do not believe the answer is to subjugate the Muggles. But I do believe we no longer have the luxury of ignoring them. We no longer can treat them as rather quaint and curious neighbors who, without magic, are reduced to doing things in funny ways. We need to wake up!

Right now, Muggle science -- for all its advancement, has a Dark Side, too. The Muggles are killing our planet with their science. Global Warming has already proved devastating -- and that's just the beginning. Could we adjust? Yes, of course. We are, after all, wizards. But where is our responsibility to our own planet? Do we slap hands over our eyes and put fingers in our ears? We live here too. It's time we found ways to help each other in order for our planet to survive. I will work towards closer relations between our two communities, for the benefit of all. Better yet, in the reaching, we can help to rebuild our weakened by the war economy.

George Weasley will be joining me as my running mate. He brings humour to a job that is sadly lacking in it. Even more, he brings his drive and ambition, his innovation and business acumen, as well as skill in public relations. That will help us the Wizarding Communities, at home and abroad, and the Muggle communities too. I don't think I need to remind all of you of his stand against tyranny during Voldemort's Second War -- fighting back not only literally in the Battle at Hogwarts, but also with spirit and cleverness in the dark days beforehand. He and his late brother Fred were instrumental in keeping the Wireless Free show, "Potterwatch," going, at great risk to themselves. That courage cost him and his family, just as it cost many of you. A Muggle once said, "All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." George did not stand by then, and he wouldn't stand by now.

Neither would I. Neither will I.We face a different sort of challenge, as I outlined just above. A challenge that's even greater than the threat offered by Voldemort. Yet all is not dark. We stand on the brink of great possibility, great opportunity. A Brave New World. We have reached a crossroads in our history. Shall we take the safe road, the one that traverses well-worn paths into static oblivion . . . the road that once produced a Voldemort?

Or do we risk? Do we try a new road? I'm all for that new road. Together, George and I, the Ministry staff, as well as all of you, can accomplish things that the Wizarding and Muggle worlds have never known before. Will you join us? Will you give us your trust and your vote? In return, we will work tirelessly for you. I promise I will never deceive you, never lie to you. I will never let you down. That is my solemn pledge as a candidate for Minister of Magic.

George's Speech:    

Dear Witchies and Wizzies,

If someone had told me years ago, when I was still at Hogwarts, that one day I would team up with Pretty Boy Diggory, I’d have thought them barking mad and told them so in no uncertain terms.

But I’ve seen Cedric at work as a prefect, I’ve seen him as the Hogwarts Champion in the Triwizard Tournament. I’ve seen him as Quidditch Captain and Seeker and have played many a match against Hufflepuff. I’ve come to admire his qualities. I have no doubt that, had he survived his encounter with Voldemort, he’d have been the next Head Boy - and he'd have gone very far after he graduated. Face it, Cedric is fair, brave, smart and talented.

Myself, I’ve grown up since the time Fred and I were the bane of Argus Filch’s life. We started that process during our last year at Hogwarts, when we had to battle both the threat of Voldemort rebirth and the Ministry’s criminal blindness. The Ministry and its toadie (pun intended) Dolores Umbridge, the High Inquisitor. It was when we made our last stand for Dumbledore and left Hogwarts in protest that we crossed the threshhold into adulthood.

Then we opened Weasleys’ Wizard Whizzes and became businessmen. We learned to manage a shop and its staff, we learned to deal with customers and suppliers.

Soon after came the war. We became full members of the Order of the Phoenix and joined the Resistance when Voldie’s lackeys took over the Ministry. With our friend Lee Jordan and with other members of the Order, including the current Minister of Magic, we were instrumental in organizing the underground radio PotterWatch. Let me tell you, that'll teach you guts, caution, ingenuity and self-discipline.

All that I learned then, I bring to you today, under the leadership of Cedric Diggory. His spirit matured during his time Beyond the Veil. He’s learned much, and he has splendid new, even revolutionary ideas. I could not help but being impressed when he outlined his platform to me, when he asked me to team up with him He has a vision, and he made me believe in it. You will too, once you’ve heard him.

I should also like to point out that both of us have an unblemished record for fighting evil. Neither of us was ever tempted, even for one second, by the Dark Side.

I can be of great help to him.We complement each other perfectly. I’ll temper his idealism with my knowledge of everyday’s realities. My business experience will serve well in economic matters and foreign relations. But also, I’ll lighten his gravity with my sense of fun. You can’t be serious all the time, life would be too boring.

Which does not mean that I won’t take the job seriously. I will devote as much, in fact more, time and effort to it as Fred and I did to taking care of our shop. This is bigger, this is more important. The future of the Wizarding Community and of all other inhabitants of Planet Earth depends on how we, Wizards and Witches, Goblins, Merpeople, Centaurs and Muggle work together to live in harmony and prosperity, while preserving and protecting our common home, our common heritage.

There is no greater, nobler goal than this. To this goal, to Cedric and to all of you, I pledge myself to the best of my abilities.

And their answers to questions:
Cedric:    

1. What is the primary basis of your selection of George as a runningmate, and how will this contribute to the Ministry?

George Weasley is a shrewd businessman with good public relations skills. He has a store of practical knowledge that I lack. I have lots of ideas and ideals but don’t always know how to put them into practice. George, having dealt with customers, suppliers and employees, bankers and other businessmen, will have the acumen for that.

That is what he will contribute to the Ministry, along with his sense of fun, which will help lighten up the working environment. Staffers who laugh or smile when they work will work better than staffers who grumble. George will keep morale up in difficult situations, when he and I are busy negotiating with representatives of other races, Muggles and foreign dignitaries, as well as with representatives of the general British population.

3. Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric Diggory
Shall we take the safe road, the one that traverses well-worn paths into static oblivion . . . the road that once produced a Voldemort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric Diggory
It's time we found ways to help each other in order for our planet to survive. I will work towards closer relations between our two communities, for the benefit of all.

In the above quotes from your speech, you suggest closer relationships with muggles and taking a new road. Suppose muggles do not want to join your administration and disagree with your choices, and furthermore, don't wish to use magic to achieve these goals, due to culture beliefs and perhaps even fear. How would you deal with that?

We can never force people to walk with us, only offer the opportunity. By removing ourselves from the world and lives of muggles, we haven't truly been offering. We've even had laws enacted to prohibit us from revealing ourselves and our way of life to Muggles - even to the point where we cannot act to protect muggles, our next-door neighbors, without fear of retribution from our own kind.

Actually, The Ministry of Magic has already taken the first steps to reach out to the Muggle Community. I've witnessed this and been advised by previous Minister Rufus Scrimgeour, beyond the Veil, that our Ministers of Magic always make a point of meeting any new Muggle Prime Minister, that there have been meetings between the Ministers of Magic and the Muggle Prime Ministers on numerous occasions, informing them of issues that have affected Muggles on everything from small- to large-scale events, from the importation of dragons for use in the Triwizard Tournament to the fact that Voldemort had returned and was a tremendous threat to both our worlds. Our current Minister of Magic Kingsley Shacklebolt has worked among Muggles to protect their Prime Minister. Finally our worlds began to work together with this small step, which is a good place to start.

Now be clear, I'm not proposing overnight changes, nor saying we should reveal ourselves to the entire world tomorrow. I do, however, think that we can build on what has already been started, slowly and carefully, but also positively. We can now tell the Muggles that the biggest threat (Voldemort) has been eliminated and now it's more important to work together, maybe creating a department concerned with the environment itself, and encourage similar moves in other magical governments around the world, and cooperate with the Muggles, who already have such departments. We can't force it, but we can hold out a hand in invitation.

Yes, I do hope to see our efforts join eventually with those of Muggles, but we neither can nor should depend on Muggle acceptance of magic, or throw up our hands in defeat and stick our heads back in the sand, hoping it all goes away. It isn't going to go away. We face our potential extinction as a species, and as a world -- and magic or no magic, we are all human beings; Humans or other Beings, we all inhabit this planet.

That is the road that I am proposing to take. The question is, will you take it with me?

5. We all remember that during the Triwizard Tournament you tried to persuade your supporters not to wear 'Potter stinks' badges, but you did not have much success until the situation was resolved after the first task. What makes you think that you can now persuade magical creatures and muggles to co-operate with you, especially if we have to assume that both may well be hostile to wizards?

(May we point out -- sorta off camera -- that this event DID NOT take place in the BOOK universe, and is only present in the movie.)

I must confess I didn’t really try very hard, because I only half-believed Harry when he said he had not put his name in the Goblet of Fire. I was younger, I had not yet seen the face of evil, and I was nave. I am no longer that boy. Dying has a way of granting one perspective.

The task before us now, however, is one in which I strongly believe. I will exert all my powers of persuasion and reasoning, and will choose the best diplomats I can find for our talks with the other Magical races and the Muggles. I honestly don’t think they’ll be particularly hostile to Wizards. I’ve seen from beyond the Veil how much Muggles like their “TV series” and “movies” dealing with the supernatural. We will also have the parents of our Muggleborn Witches and Wizards who will work with us to convince those who may be hostile to us that we mean no harm, but peace, progress and security for all. I firmly believe we will be successful.

7. With all your talk about saving the world from Muggle science, your campaign left out important issues such as educational reform. How can the Wizarding World be assured that you will not be overly focused on 'trying the new road' and forget about other issues just as important to them?

One thing does not preclude the other. Both George and I are very much aware of the importance of education for the young, Magicians, Magical creatures or Muggles alike. We will of course keep Muggle Studies at Hogwarts and encourage Muggle schools to take up History of Magic. We will make sure that curricula are well adapted to this day and age, and that every youngster has an opportunity for the best education possible. For that we will seek the help of such experts as HeadMistress McGonagall and her staff, as well as input from parents. We would be interested in instituting external evaluation of our current educators, but unlike those instituted under Minister Fudge, we would insist that any evaluators have extensive classroom experience themselves. Furthermore, the goal of such evaluations would be to support and improve performance, not use the fear of losing one's job as a way of imposing a particular political agenda or restricting free speech. An atmosphere of intimidation helps nobody -- our children least of all.

George:    

Thank you, Cedric, for your fine answers. Here are my answers to questions 2, 4 and 6.

2. Mr. Weasley we have seen you use poor 1st year students as guinea pigs in your efforts to further your career. How can we be sure that you will not just use your new position to maneuver yourself into a position to make more money?

First of all, I want to make this perfectly clear...there are no more 1st year Hogwarts students to use as guinea pigs since I've already used them all up.

Seriously, for those of you who are concerned that I only got onboard this Ministry bandwagon to make more money, let me ease your mind. I plan to keep my lucrative joke shop as a means of income and especially to honor my dear late brother Fred. The shop will be run by others so I can devote my time to the Ministry. It will remain as my outlet to give the world a place to laugh and have fun. So, you see, those largely harmless laughs were the seeds of a great business. What I learned running that business I will apply to my new job as Deputy Minister.

I haven't forgotten how Fred and I got our start for Weasley's Wizard's Wheezes. It was from a dear friend's donation who wanted the world to have a little more laughter. Now it's my turn to give back. I pledge that if elected, I will donate all of my Ministry earnings to a worthwhile charity like the Old Wizards’ Home.

4. George Weasley, how do you feel your previous career as an authority-flaunting prankster and all-around troublemaker prepares you for the responsibility of being in a top government office?

I'm so deeply honoured that you have remembered all the fun that Fred and I gave to everyone especially during our younger years and when times were dark. I understand that our "Swamp Memorial" still stands at Hogwarts - ahh good times, good times! Sure it's true that Fred and I were considered troublemakers, but we always knew when to draw the line. Besides, we began growing up under Umbridge’s iron rule. If you remember, we never again played pranks against schoolmates, only against Filch, Umbridge and the Inquisitorial Squad. We grew up even more during the war. PotterWatch certainly was no prank. Neither was keeping Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes a thriving business, keeping customers, suppliers and staff contented. After all, laughter is the best medicine. Even during the dark days of fighting underground and helping run PotterWatch, we kept spirits light and morale up. But the work we did was serious, just as the work I shall now do with Cedric is serious, and I take it seriously, believe me.

6. Mr. Weasley, are you concerned that your running mate, having died in his teens, is stuck in a teen mindset and unable to grow?
Reading Cedric’s speech on his plans and objectives, you can see for yourself that he is far from being stuck in a “teen mindset and unable to grow.” “Pretty Boy Diggory” he may have stayed outwardly, but his ideas are not those of an 18-year old boy but of a mature man. Even when he was only a teenager, may I remind you that Dumbledore himself said – and I quote - "If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy - Remember Cedric Diggory."

Beyond the Veil, Cedric’s spirit has definitely matured. Let me quote Dumbledore again: "After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure". Being beyond the Veil has given Cedric a dual opportunity - he can watch what is going on in the Wizarding and Muggle worlds now and he is able to converse and learn from those who have have also passed through the Veil, like Albus Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel to name only two. These contacts have given Cedric knowledge that others may never have for a long time - if at all.

Old October 25th, 2008, 4:30 am
Banned

Oh my goodness, I made it under the wire with over half an hour to spare! I don't believe it, but I'm grateful!!!

Once again, I ask your indulgence. Time and technical (like the MovieMaker freezing on me every 15 minutes) constraints force me to post something I'm not quite satisfied with. But, it's better than nothing, right?

Here are:

The Life, Death and Afterlife of Cedric Diggory

With our hearfelt thanks to our contributors, including wickedwickedboy and VampiricDuck (again) for sending us the mp3 files for the music in the previous video and this one. I wish it could have been better, but this is the best I could come up with...

Old October 25th, 2008, 4:34 am
Banned

Fleur, your first video was your best. The music's very appropriate on all three. If you don't mind, let me repost it, ok?

Campaign Ad run on TV

Old October 25th, 2008, 5:12 am
Banned

Good idea Bill, thanks!

Before the Mods close this thread (it's 8 minutes past deadline), I'd like to publicly acknowledge once more the invaluable help that members of other teams have generously given us. We are especially indebted to Boushh and Vampiric Duck of the Snape Campaign - and the George video wouldn't have such an appropriate sound track without Wick's help.

The group, of course, includes the members of the Cedric/George team who didn't give up despite seemingly unsurmountable obstacles and odds. You guys and gals are the best ever! :love!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References > The Quibbler > Quibbler Breaking News > News archives > Minister for Magic Elections