Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What annoyed you most about GOF v3

Old June 25th, 2011, 9:25 pm
Third Year

Re: What annoyed you most about GOF v3

l've said this before but the boys long hair eww
oh and Emma acting she moves her eyebrows too much just like the girl from Twilight

{Magnolia class 0f 2010}
Ron & Hermione Forever
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:26 pm
Sixth Year

I didn't much care for Harry's hair, but Ron's didn't bother me. What bothered me was the truncated Wizard's cup scene and the scene with where he find Crouch on the ground.

Old June 26th, 2011, 12:08 am
Third Year

GoF is my least favourite movie.. It's a while since i've seen it now, so im just going to write down what i remember from it.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the pacing is horrible. Building up to the World Cup Final and then just skip the match

I like many of the scenes in the movie, but i feel that its to much focus on the big scenes, like the 3 tasks, the Yule bal and the graveyard scene. It just goes from one big scene, then a few minutes of unimportant stuff, and then next big scene.

I understand that it must have been hard to make such a long book into a 2,5 hour movie and i don't have any idea of what they could have done to make it better. I just really don't like the movie

"The stories we love best, do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by
the big screen, Hogwarts will allways be there to welcome you home"

- JK Rowling
Old June 26th, 2011, 1:35 am
Third Year

I was just watching the scene where Voldemort returns again, and I remember how annoying Harry/Dan's screams are. Sure, he's in a lot of pain, but he just keeps screaming and screaming and screaming, and half the time it's not even convincing. You know how much agony he's in, but at the same time his screams are almost comical. Especially when Voldemort is rising out of the cauldron (by the way what was that about--the cauldron just disenigrates?) Harry is wailing at the top of his lungs like a baby, and you can hear it even though it's muted.

The other thing from that scene was that when Wormtail cuts off his arm, he gives one quiet, unconvincing yell and that's it. Unlike the book, which put so much emphasis on him rolling around crying and shouting and bleeding, he simply cuts it off and it's like it never even happened. It's almost confusing because Voldemort gives him a new arm, but you might stop and think, "why's he doing that?" because you forgot that Wormtail doesn't have an arm because apparently it wasn't very painful to have it sliced off.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old June 26th, 2011, 1:39 am
First Year

GOF is my least favorite movie. From the beginning it's too rush, we have all the preparation to see the World Cup and we only see Krum on his broom and back to the tent. I understand the changes in the movie for fast pacing, but the tongue "lizard" thing with Crouch Jr. is too revealing and annoying. They repeated too often, the same goes with Moody drinking polijuice potion every moment you see him. How more revealing can you be? My husband who only watches the movies knew who the bad guys were before the conclusion of the movie. He even told me in the theater during the part where Karkarov is closing the door in the Great Hall, that it was a false trail and Moody was an impostor.

Old June 28th, 2011, 7:32 am
First Year

I just finished watching GoF....

I found a lot of the scenes didn't meld very well (mainly in the first half). They just felt rushed and out of place. The tournament scenes were great though, especially the maze and then the climax with voldemort.

Old June 28th, 2011, 8:46 pm
First Year

Dobby Dobby Dobby! The movies never show enough Dobby, if you've never read the books and you watch the Deathly Hallows you just go hey why is Dobby back and why should I care that he's dead? Dobby Dobby Dobby! Haha
Yeah that and this movie rushed allllloootttt

Old July 4th, 2011, 5:44 pm
First Year

GOF is a horrible movie - no wonder with a director like Mike Newell what did people expect?

There is far too much emphasis on the uncertainty of who put Harry's name in the Goblet such as the shot of Karkaroff "sneaking" into the room with the goblet inside. For people who have read the books all of these shots were a waste of time and for those who hadn't read the books, well they were already confused and mixed up anyway and these shots confused them more. These shots are annoying and make re-watching boring. This combined with the pace made the movie extremely confusing for non book readers.

I hate the change in some of the characters in this movie. Gambon's Dumbledore was terrible and was nothing like Dumbledore and Rickman's Snape was unlike Snape. Snape is supposed to be cruel - the hitting Ron and Harry on the head with books was far to comical for such a pivotal and complex character. I don't think this was any of the actors faults however and poor direction and script writing was responsible.

I think the story and pace of the movie would have benefited if the beginning Quiddich World Cup scene was cut. That scene should have been included in full with the match or left out because to be honest it was just a let down for fans. It added nothing to the plot for non book readers.

Cheesy dialogue? need I say more?

And my last point is Emma Watson. God she was terrible in this movie. Maybe I'm missing something but I honestly don't understand how people think she is a good actress. I'm sure she is a very nice girl but she was horrific in this movie (must admit she has improved recently) her acting was over the top and made Hermionie less realistic and beleivable. Maybe thats just me?

Anyway GOF is a big **** stain in the Potter franchise!

Old July 4th, 2011, 6:31 pm
First Year

I agree with what most people have said. My biggest problem was how much was cut.

1. No Dursleys. I actually felt the entire beginning was rushed. The campsite and Quidditch World Cup was so rushed I think either the script writer or the editor were on speed.

2. No Dobby, Winky or SPEW. Including Dobby in the movie would refresh peoples memories on who he actually is and made his death in DH more sad. People who went to see Deathly Hallows hadn't seen him since Chamber of Secrets so some probably won't even remember who he is. I thought SPEW was a nice storyline for Hermione too. Discrimination, civil rights, freedom and liberation is a major theme in the Harry Potter books. I love Dobby and Winky's scenes in the QWC and woods too

3. Cringy moments. "Victor, I love you, Victor I do!" "YOU WANT ME TO OPEN IT??"

4. Agree with Dan, Rupert and the twins hair. It was a popular haircut in England at the time but looking back they look homeless!

5. Dumbeldore shouting. I really don't like Michael Gambon as Dumbledore anyway but this has to be the worst! I also didn't like the way he delivered the Cedric/Voldemort speech at the end. I miss Richard Harris

6. They cut the scene with Harry/Dumbledore (and the glint in Dumbledore's eye when Harry said Voldemort could touch him) and (possibly the most important one) the Parting of the Ways! It's kinda the turning point in the story and sets up the rest of the movies, kinda important producers/writers!

That's all I can think of right now.

Last edited by GaGaMoNsTeR; July 4th, 2011 at 6:33 pm.
Old July 4th, 2011, 7:00 pm
Second Year

GOF was a wonderful movie

M 2nd most favourite in the HP series but as some other members have mentioned before...I also didnt like Dumbledore shouting on Harry...

Apart from that,every thing was very well indeed

"By all means continue destroying my possessions,Harry. I daresay I have too many."
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:50 pm
Second Year

Just finished re-reading the book, probably my second fav of the book series. What a let down the movie is though, so much was cut that is vital to actually understanding the story. No wonder people who have only seen the movies literally only understand half of the stuff that goes on, the amount of times i've had to explain things to people....

"I should have made my meaning plainer," said Professor McGonagall, turning at last to look at Umbridge directly in the eyes. "He has achieved high marks in all Defense Against the Dark Arts tests set by a competent teacher."
Old July 5th, 2011, 5:33 am
First Year

I actually watched this film last night and found that a lot of the acting rubbed me the wrong way. I agree with what a lot of people are saying, Dumbledore was ridiculous in this movie. It almost hurt me to watch the scenes with him. Also, Mad Eye just seemed very off. I know the actor was supposed to act like jr. acting to be mad eye but I didn't really think his character was not well done. One other problem I had with the film was that Dobby or any of the house elf scenes were not in there!

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:29 pm
Fifth Year

Before the first two tasks, Fred and George were taking bets, but they were not for the third task. That seemed incongruous to me.

Also, I though they should have included the scene from the book where Ron suggests to Ginny that she go to the Yule Ball with Harry and she says she can't because she agreed to go with Neville. That should not have taken more than 30 seconds.

Old July 6th, 2011, 4:29 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerojj1 View Post
I actually watched this film last night and found that a lot of the acting rubbed me the wrong way. I agree with what a lot of people are saying, Dumbledore was ridiculous in this movie. It almost hurt me to watch the scenes with him. Also, Mad Eye just seemed very off. I know the actor was supposed to act like jr. acting to be mad eye but I didn't really think his character was not well done. One other problem I had with the film was that Dobby or any of the house elf scenes were not in there!
I agree that the entire house elf plot line was completely missing. Also, the fact that the maze was just a maze, without any other obstacles besides some readjusting walls was disappointing. No blast-ended skrewts :P

But I definitely agree with everyone's opinion on Dumbledore, his shouting was definitely very un-Dumbledore of him. Although, I must say, quoting this part is the occasional source of amusement for my brother and I...

"So I won't let you close enough to hurt me
No, I won't rescue you to just desert me
I can't give you what you think you gave me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables"
~Adele

Proud Gryffindor
Old July 6th, 2011, 4:46 am
Third Year

I'm sure these have been mentioned before at least in part:

- Emma Watson's overacting after the Yule Ball. "Off to bed, both of you!" Her acting has made me cringe on occasion and this was one of the worst. (Sorry to the EW fans! <3)

- The competing school's entrance into the Great Hall. I didn't find either of the dancing entrances necessary. Canes that spark on the floor? Butterflies? B-boy moves? Yeah, not working for me.

Those were the two most prominent moments for me but I have seen several others mentioned in this thread.

Thank you, COS, for the last 16 years. Iím so happy to see youíre still around.
Old July 6th, 2011, 5:23 am
First Year

what annoyed me about the movie vs the book
1. dobby gave harry the gillyweed, not neville
2.croutch (sp) didnt die in the woods randomly by his son...harry found croutch sr in the book and went to get dumbledore and krum got knocked out while croutch jr took is dad away-- also in the book he (sr) was turned into a bone
3. never mention the escape form azkaban (where croutch jr mom took his place) this is so interesting and i think important to know how hard it is to escape azkaban..
4. never mention any of that revelation at the end about the above mentioned
5. never mention winky...poor winky..
6. never mention dobby in general
7. never mention spew
8. the movie never mentions that harry used the maurders map and almost got caught by snape
9. harry cant talk underwater in the book
10. percy was a judge in place of crouch sr (most of the book crouch sr wasnt around)
11.the only reason i love the movie soo so much is because when cedric dies, the part is played so extremely well.

Old July 6th, 2011, 4:39 pm
First Year

Yes! The maze was quite disappointing with no creatures or riddle. Not really necessary but it would've just been better lol

Old July 10th, 2011, 5:14 am
First Year

What annoysme most about GOF is they never expose Rita Skeeter as an unregistered animagus Beetle and have hermione catch her and keep her in a jar. Also how they only focus on the 3 events, but screwed up the maze from how it is in the books.

Old July 10th, 2011, 5:59 am
First Year

no quidditch world cup.
and the fact that they changed the rules for harry. that was annoying.

Old July 10th, 2011, 6:21 am
Second Year

Two words,Tux Robes - Another two words, Prom Dresses. The yule ball was a joke why would wizards wear robes that mimic a muggle tux and why did Ron's look like it came from the 70's.

How about 15 minutes of Dragon chase but no Dobby,no Winky and no Bellatrix trial scene. I also hated how Crouch Sr. recognized his son because he did that "tongue" thing. Seriously, what was up with Barty Jr. and his tongue that was the silliest thing I ever saw.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies