Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What are your movie pet peeves?

Old July 7th, 2011, 6:07 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: What are your movie pet peeves?

They cut too much out. It robs of the movie of depth.

Old July 7th, 2011, 7:27 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapes_Girl View Post
I totally agree with you. My husband and I were commenting on how Peter Jackson stayed true to the characters in the books with the LotR movies.
He didn't.

Old July 8th, 2011, 3:25 am
Third Year

What bathers me most is it seems like they cut out sceens that are important, and then they add seens that are not needed.

Old July 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Third Year

Changing the location of the Burrow!!

I love the scene in CoS when we first see the Burrow. It looks just like I pictured it. I dont understand the change in setting to the middle of a marsh. I absolutely hate it. I miss the chickens and pigs and the look from the 2nd one.

"We spent time here, we made friends here. That’s a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, it’s bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after we’re gone. Maybe we’ll see our kids go here.
That’s the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long you’re away from it, there’s always a way back."
Old July 9th, 2011, 2:48 pm
Second Year

The changing of sets is a major annoyance of mine, I understand each director wanted to bring their own touch and try to learn from their predeccesors mistakes but was it really neccesary to change the sets so much that the series lost its flow and continuity.

"I should have made my meaning plainer," said Professor McGonagall, turning at last to look at Umbridge directly in the eyes. "He has achieved high marks in all Defense Against the Dark Arts tests set by a competent teacher."
Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:16 am
First Year

1. The boys' "mop" phase in GoF
2. Hermione's lack of bushy hair from PoA onward. I believe this was done for appeal since Emma is the really the main and only girl leading the films
3. Lack of Maurauders explanation
4. In SS, Dumbledore never said that Snape hates Harry so much because James saved Snape's life (so he is in James' debt). I thought this was important.

However, I will never be completely happy with the movies compared to the books. But books and movies are two different things. There are plenty of parts from the movies that I love both as separate entities and representations of the book. But the books will always be first.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 2:05 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post
He didn't.

Arwen.

Old July 25th, 2011, 10:58 pm
First Year

My biggest peeve is about the movies from PoA onward. For some reason, the movies seem to have a greenish bluish tint to them. To me, this changed a lot, and I don't think for the better. It just made Hogwarts seem like an unhappy place... and that's just not true. Sure, the series had started to become a little darker and more mature at that point, but Hogwarts seemed to be the constant source of happiness throughout all of the books. I loved how Hogwarts looked in the first 2 movies...

Besides that, it would be extending/adding scenes in movies which are either useless or not even in the books. I didn't need to see Harry trying to deal with his Monster Book for 10 minutes or the Burrow being attacked. These minutes would have been better used elsewhere.

I still love the movies, but they could have been improved.

Old July 26th, 2011, 5:02 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneedis View Post
Besides that, it would be extending/adding scenes in movies which are either useless or not even in the books. I didn't need to see Harry trying to deal with his Monster Book for 10 minutes or the Burrow being attacked. These minutes would have been better used elsewhere.
Harry's fight with the Monster Book is completely pointless and bothers me to no end. Especially when they could have used that time to explain the Marauders!

After watching GoF today, I have come to the conclusion that my biggest pet peeve is that the lack of explanation. For example, at the end of GoF, Dumbledore mentions "Priori Incantatem," but doesn't explain what that means. Or on the way to the Quidditch World Cup, one of the twins just mentions that the boot is a Portkey, but we are left to infer what exactly a Portkey does. Without explanation of who the Marauders are in PoA, movie-goers don't know who Wormtail is in the opening scene of GoF (a question I'm often asked). Or in DH2, all of a sudden Lupin has a son. I'm not nitpicking- these details are just part of good storytelling, IMO.

Hufflepuff Pride
Old August 4th, 2011, 4:35 pm
Second Year

It always bothers me how in the movies Ron is completely pushed aside as a bumbling, idiot sidekick. I hate that word, sidekick. He's supposed to be Harry's best friend and companion! Not some annoying guy that hangs around him and Hermione, saying "bloody hell".
I wish he'd gotten a similar treatment to Samwise Gamgee in LOTR. A bit clumsy, yes, but fierce in his own way.

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Old August 4th, 2011, 4:58 pm
Second Year

I think my main pet peeves with the movies is that they don't quite know whether they are visual companions to the books, or stories in their own right.

I'm not a book purist, but I am a stickler for consistency - so I wish the films were either simply made for books fans, with no more substance than to indulge die-hards and be a nice visual for the books OR that they stuck to the main feel, story of the book and changed other bits and pieces to better adapt to film.

As they stand, they are neither here nor there. They don't provide enough explanation to be classic films in their own right, but they add in stuff that isn't in the book and doesn't add to the film story arc that disgruntles a lot of book fans. I wouldn't care so much about changes in the films if the films stood on their own without the books but as it is, they rely heavily at times on people having read the books to understand what is going on.

Another thing, that has probably been mentioned many times, is the mirror. I don't really care so much that they left out Sirius giving Harry the mirror, however, what bothers me is how they handled it after discovering the significance, when there was such an easy fix all along!

This was the idea of someone on another board, so I won't take credit, but they came up with the idea that it would have been better to, instead of having Harry suddenly have this shard of mirror in Privet Drive at the start of DH1, have him find this piece of mirror when they are poking around Grimmauld Place a little while after that in the same film. Although this would have been different from the books, at least there would have been an explanation at all, rather than nothing. This would have fit perfectly as well given that the shard that Harry has appears to be broken out of the one that Aberforth has (rather than working as they originally do in the books.)

Like I said, while this would have been different to the books, at least there would have been a satisfying explanation within the films, rather than this piece of mirror showing up out of nowhere. It's such an easy fix to the situation that since I read it, it annoys me to no end that they didn't go with this!

Old August 4th, 2011, 5:06 pm
Seventh Year

From Lupin on, the movies tended to focus too much on whomever was the DADA professor that year, often at the expense of the rest of the plot.

In the movie, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix should have been renamed Harry Potter and the Reign of the Pink Umbridge.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old August 4th, 2011, 7:39 pm
First Year

It bothers me when they leave out things that I consider important, even if it might just be little things (F.ex: the most important part of Snape's worst memory, real explanation as to who the Mauraders were, when Sirius gave Harry the mirror, how Barty Croutch Jr escaped from Azkaban...).

Especially when they don't bother putting things like this in, and instead add extra romance and "humor" just to make the movies more fun or what. Especially noticeable in HBP, but also in OOTP.

menneskets verd.
Old August 4th, 2011, 7:48 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBinns View Post
Changing the location of the Burrow!!

I love the scene in CoS when we first see the Burrow. It looks just like I pictured it. I dont understand the change in setting to the middle of a marsh. I absolutely hate it. I miss the chickens and pigs and the look from the 2nd one.
:nod: And I'm not a big fan of the burning burrow in movie 6 (HBP), either. But I definitely agree--I loved how it looked in the 2nd movie as well.

Also, even though this doesn't really affect my watching the films very much, what bothers me is sometimes the twins are dressed identically right down to the last button, sometimes (there's times when they're not dressed identically like in OotP with the famous fireworks scene, and when they're comforting that little boy in the hall). I somehow don't really see Fred and George Weasley dressing completely identically, but then again that's probably more my interpretation of the books than anything. Still, I'm not keen on the identical clothes thing.

A PROUD RAVENCLAW
Old August 15th, 2011, 8:18 am
First Year

I'll just comment on the movie I saw most recently - in Goblet of Fire, when Harry and Cedric first arrive at the graveyard, they get a chance to take in their surroundings and Harry yells at Cedric to grab the port key... but neither of them move toward the port key, they both just kind of chill there till Wormtail finally emerges... this makes no sense. They didn't get a chance to react in the book, Cedric got Avada Kedavra'd before Harry and Cedric knew what was coming.

Also, on the Hogwarts Express, Harry addresses a letter to escaped convict Sirius as "Sirius Black." It just irked me since they went to such lengths in the book to keep the identity of the recipient secret for each letter.

on CoS | on PM
THIS IS A SLYTHERDORE.

Last edited by Gryffinderp; August 15th, 2011 at 8:23 am.
Old August 15th, 2011, 8:39 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffinderp View Post
Also, on the Hogwarts Express, Harry addresses a letter to escaped convict Sirius as "Sirius Black." It just irked me since they went to such lengths in the book to keep the identity of the recipient secret for each letter.
This was probably to jog the memory of the audience - especially as PoA didn't really delve into the Marauders back-story at all and a lot of people wouldn't have picked up on who 'Padfoot' was.

I'll be forever peeved that Lucius Malfoy has swishier hair than I do.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old August 15th, 2011, 8:40 am
Second Year

Biggest peeve is leaving out major plot points from the book, but still alluding to them in some form. I know it's done for 'ease of story-telling', but comes off as confusing sometimes. If you haven't read the books, you'll miss some major plot points, I feel.

Old August 15th, 2011, 10:53 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by blknight7 View Post
Biggest peeve is leaving out major plot points from the book, but still alluding to them in some form. I know it's done for 'ease of story-telling', but comes off as confusing sometimes. If you haven't read the books, you'll miss some major plot points, I feel.
That summed up OotP for my hubby. It was a good thing that I read the book because I had to explain parts of it to him.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw
Old August 15th, 2011, 12:09 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapes_Girl View Post
I totally agree with you. My husband and I were commenting on how Peter Jackson stayed true to the characters in the books with the LotR movies. Peter Jackson is a big fan of the Tolkien's masterpiece and actually read the books and the direction of the movies displayed that well. I don't know if many of the HP directors could say the same thing. In my opinion, the first two movies were excellent, but as the books progressed, the subject matter became more serious. I think they tried too hard to keep them PG, but in doing so, severely altered the integrity of the plots and acting, which can be quite disappointing to the thousands of fans who read the books numerous times.
I greatly enjoyed Peter Jackson's LotR, but the deviations he made from canon, including some major changes to key characterisations, far exceed anything in the Harry Potter films. The changes in the HP films are very minor, IMO! They mainly take the form of omissions, e.g. leaving out the Marauders backstory. There are no major distortions of characters. Dumbledore sometimes gets a bit cross. Hermione is prettier than her canon self. Ginny is meeker. But they are all very recognisably JKR's characters, and none of this begins to compare with some of the major deviations to key characterisations in Peter Jackson's films. It's a very popular fandom meme, that the LotR films are more faithful than the HP ones, but -- in my opinion, of course -- it's a myth.

However: the exposition for non-Tolkien people was very well done.

And that is my peeve with the HP films ... not that they aren't faithful enough (they are extremely faithful), but that the exposition for non-fans is non-existent.

Old August 15th, 2011, 11:25 pm
First Year

I'm a stickler for detail, so my list would be way too long ... having said that ... would have been so difficult to make Harry's eyes green?????

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies