Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4



 
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old October 26th, 2007, 5:34 pm
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 4905 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,036
Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

Welcome to the fourth version of this thread!

For reference:
Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.2
Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.3


Harry’s godfather was reckless and thoughtless in his youth but he was also fiercely loyal and extraordinarily brave to the day he died. He became an Animagus at fifteen, joined the Order right after school and was imprisoned with twenty-two. As James Potter’s best friend he used the time he had and tried to be the family that Harry never knew. Yet, he made some questionable decisions in his life.

  1. In DH, we see Sirius' room at 12GP. How does the room reflect his personality?
  2. The letter from Lily shows that they got along very well. Has the letter changed your view on Sirius' relationship with his best friend's wife?
  3. Why did Sirius mistrust Remus in 1981? Was Peter to blame for the rift?
  4. Did Sirius know that his brother left the Death Eaters at the time? Would he have helped him?
  5. Sirius never had the chance to grow up. Has the character matured at all?
  6. How did Deathly Hallows influence your view on Sirius? Were you pleased or disappointed with the role he played?
  7. Was Sirius right in how he treated Harry? Was he a good godfather?
  8. Would Sirius have died for Peter Pettigrew in 1981?
  9. Do you think Sirius asked to be sorted into Gryffindor?
  10. What was Sirius' enmity with Snape based on?
  11. Sirius apparently suffered from depression in OotP. Do you think that he got any support from his friends and fellow Order members? How was his relationship with them?


AS THIS IS STILL A HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL AND SENSITIVE TOPIC WE WOULD LIKE TO ASK EVERYONE TO PLEASE BE SENSITIVE TO OTHERS OPINIONS. THIS MEANS NO GLOATING AS WELL AS NO BASHING. CONSEQUENCES WILL BE SEVERE AND POSTERS OF THIS THREAD ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO READ THE FOLLOWING THREADS CAREFULLY:

How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic and REVISED: Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray

IF YOU CANNOT ABIDE BY THE RULES AND IGNORE IN-THREAD WARNINGS BY STAFF YOU MAY BE REMOVED FOR UP TO 90 DAYS FROM LEGILIMENCY STUDIES!


Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old October 27th, 2007, 11:52 am
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4713 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Why did Sirius mistrust Remus in 1981? Was Peter to blame for the rift?
Canon tells us that Sirius felt that Voldemort would never go after Peter because he would never believe the Potters would use someone so weak and talentless as Peter as secret keeper. Thus Sirius had no reason to mistrust Peter (in his mind) and so of those close to the Potters, that only left Remus and himself. He knew it was not himself, so that only left Remus. I am sure Remus thought the same thing as he claimed he thought Sirius was the spy.

I don't believe Sirius trusted Dumbledore altogether, but I don't believe Sirius wanted to risk the lives of his friends based on his less that full trust in Dumbledore. So I feel like he was thinking, if indeed it were true and the Potters movements were being given to Voldemort, it could only be Remus passing them along. They were all out doing work for the Order, so monitoring one another's movements all day and night was likely impossible - thus there would be ample opportunity for Remus or Sirius to be away from the group at various times to fuel the mistrust between them.

Quote:
Did Sirius know that his brother left the Death Eaters at the time? Would he have helped him?
Apparently he never knew. I am sure he would have helped him if he'd known. Why wouldn't he?

Quote:
Sirius never had the chance to grow up. Has the character matured at all?
I think he matured before our eyes in GoF and OOTP. It was kind of hard to miss imo.

Quote:
How did Deathly Hallows influence your view on Sirius? Were you pleased or disappointed with the role he played?
His only appearance was in the reunion scene. He was great in that scene. It was cool to see the young swashbuckling Sirius once more.


Quote:
Was Sirius right in how he treated Harry? Was he a good godfather?
Sure. I couldn't have done a better job myself in his shoes.

Quote:
Would Sirius have died for Peter Pettigrew in 1981?
Sure.

Quote:
What was Sirius' enmity with Snape based on?
Based on Snape's youthful character as shown in DH, I would say it was based on Snape's personality, character, interests, outlook and habits.

Quote:
Sirius apparently suffered from depression in OotP. Do you think that he got any support from his friends and fellow Order members? How was his relationship with them?
From the little we saw, I believe that Remus was a source of comfort for Sirius, offering the love of friendship and support as possible - but he was out on Order business a lot. I think Tonks too likely was a source of support and comfort, however, she too was out on Order business. Molly may have also attempted in her motherly way.


__________________
  #3  
Old October 27th, 2007, 1:07 pm
LoonyMagic's Avatar
LoonyMagic  Female.gif LoonyMagic is offline
Beauxbatons Champion
 
Joined: 4193 days
Location: Dreaming
Age: 27
Posts: 1,899
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

In DH, we see Sirius' room at 12GP. How does the room reflect his personality?

It was great. It really showed Sirius as a teenager, rebelling against his parents whom he loathed. You had to give him credit for it. I think it reflected his pure nerve and bravery, at showing his parents he didn't give a damn, which was probably refelected in his attitude towards them when he lived with them.

The letter from Lily shows that they got along very well. Has the letter changed your view on Sirius' relationship with his best friend's wife?

I was really glad for this letter. It was the first piece of evidence that Sirius and Lily were good friends too, and that their friendship was genuine. I think it tightens the bonds between the friendships of the Marauders and I'm glad that Sirius and Lily got on well.

Did Sirius know that his brother left the Death Eaters at the time? Would he have helped him?

I doubt he knew, which makes it all the more upsetting for me. I think if Regulus had confided in Sirius, then Sirius would have helped him, and Sirius' view on his brother would have changed extremely.

Sirius never had the chance to grow up. Has the character matured at all?

This is one of the tragic things with Sirius. He never had he chance to grow up. However, he is a clever man. I think with Harry as his godson he felt he needed to grow a little. He needed to do what James hadn't been there to do.

Was Sirius right in how he treated Harry? Was he a good godfather?

He was a good godfather. Not overly responsible, but a good man. He reminds me of my uncle a little in the relationship him and Harry had. My uncle lets me do things that my parents wouldn't let me and sometimes encourages me to break the rules. Sirius understood how Harry felt as a teenager, because in a sense Sirius was still living in the past, reminding himself of the days the Marauders were at Hogwarts.

Would Sirius have died for Peter Pettigrew in 1981?

Yes I think he would have. Sirius shows his loyalty, and although he thought Peter was a waste of space (with good reason), I believe he would have saved him.

Do you think Sirius asked to be sorted into Gryffindor?

Partly, yes I do. He detested anything to do with Slytherin and anything that related him to his family. Being a Gryffindor would definitely rub them up the wrong way. But also, I think Sirius has the qualities of a Gryffindor which definitely helped

What was Sirius' enmity with Snape based on?

Perhaps he looked at Snape and thought of himself. If he hadn't turned out to be a Gryffindor, and a non-believer in his parents views, then he might have turned out like Snape. Also, Snape reminded him of everything he hated.

Sirius apparently suffered from depression in OotP. Do you think that he got any support from his friends and fellow Order members? How was his relationship with them?

Remus, his only friend left from the Marauders, I believe helped him as much as he could. But being in the Order meant that Remus barely had any time left.


__________________
Voted Noobie of the Year in The Hogsmeade Awards.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
  #4  
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:27 pm
Latisha's Avatar
Latisha  Female.gif Latisha is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4593 days
Location: Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Age: 37
Posts: 3,293
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

In DH, we see Sirius' room at 12GP. How does the room reflect his personality?

Perfectly, rebel wizard boy with muggle scantily clad women on his wall?! Bet his mother just loved that Still all his teenager posters and Hogwarts things, showing that he still hadn't quite matured and or he didn't care what people thought if they saw it. Then again, he did leave when he was 16 I'm guessing the letter Sirius brought with him to 12GP

The letter from Lily shows that they got along very well. Has the letter changed your view on Sirius' relationship with his best friend's wife?

I was like jumping on the bed, saying "In Your Face" - evidence that Sirius wasn't forced into Lily's life because he was James best friend. It showed that Lily genuinely liked Sirius and that they were close friends. Actually, not really. I suspected that Lily had to have been on good terms with Sirius to have allowed him to be a constant in her life, which from what we know, he was.

Why did Sirius mistrust Remus in 1981? Was Peter to blame for the rift?

Well, I think that because as I've always said, both Sirius and Remus were the best canidates for being on LV's side. I thought it was a natural assumption seeing as Sirius knew HE wasn't the traitor, it left only Remus. And also Remus suspected Sirius based on the same thing. But I'm also confident that Wormtail would have encouraged the two so that he would be the common trusted factor in their circle of friends.

Did Sirius know that his brother left the Death Eaters at the time? Would he have helped him?

Definately not, Sirius hadn't had a clue. I wish he did know, the two could have reconcilled and Sirius would have definately helped. But I guess it is better that Sirius didn't know, seeing as one of his "in-the-loop" friends at the time was a traitor or going to be.

Sirius never had the chance to grow up. Has the character matured at all?

I think he did, but that too was halted when he went into a depressed state in OOTP. We see in his "ressurection" in the forest, that he seems to have matured, which is good.

How did Deathly Hallows influence your view on Sirius? Were you pleased or disappointed with the role he played?

I was quite happy, I mean come on, how much can a dead character do? We got to see some private things and I was happy with that.

Was Sirius right in how he treated Harry? Was he a good godfather?

He wasn't always right, but he truly did love Harry and was a good man. He did what he always felt was best for Harry. I think that he gave Harry what he could (love, memories of this father and a figure that Harry knew he can count on and confind in) and to me that is what really counts.

Would Sirius have died for Peter Pettigrew in 1981?

Yes!

Do you think Sirius asked to be sorted into Gryffindor?

There's no doubt about it in my mind. He did afterall, didn't want to be in Slytherin and he knew his best friend James wanted to be in Gryffindor. So naturally, he would ask to go there.

What was Sirius' enmity with Snape based on?

Snape represented everything that Sirius was running away from. What I mean is, family traditions and expectations that Sirius wanted no part of.

Sirius apparently suffered from depression in OotP. Do you think that he got any support from his friends and fellow Order members? How was his relationship with them?

Yeah, this has always been a sore point with me. No, I don't think they did enough. I do think that Remus, knowing his friend well tried to be of aid when he could. But it wasn't anyones fault and I still think that there wasn't much that they could do.


__________________
Behind every great man, stands an amazing woman.
  #5  
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:36 pm
LoveWeasleys's Avatar
LoveWeasleys  Female.gif LoveWeasleys is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4211 days
Location: The Water Gardens
Age: 34
Posts: 2,487
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latisha View Post
There's no doubt about it in my mind. He did afterall, didn't want to be in Slytherin and he knew his best friend James wanted to be in Gryffindor. So naturally, he would ask to go there.
I have to respectfully disagree with this part. IMO, Sirius embodies the qualities of a Gryffindor. He is brave, courageous, noble, loyal to his friends, etc. I don't see any characteristics of him that would scream Slytherin to me. I think he is a complete contrast to his brother inside and out. Plus, he knew that James wanted to be in Gryffindor. But Sirius would have been sorted before James and was also the first Marauder sorted, so he really didn't know for sure who would be with him.

I feel like he almost accepted the fact that he would be put in Slytherin because that is where his whole family would have been. Also, he knew if he would have been placed anywhere else his family would not have been happy about it. I think he joked with James on the train about the possibility of breaking the trend, but IMO I don't really think that he believed he would. I like to picture him a bit surprised when the hat said, "GRYFFINDOR" for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latisha View Post
Snape represented everything that Sirius was running away from. What I mean is, family traditions and expectations that Sirius wanted no part of.
Good point, I don't think I have heard this come up before. But I agree, I think there was much more to their loathing of each other. But, I can definately see Sirius looking at Snape in this way.



Last edited by LoveWeasleys; October 31st, 2007 at 10:44 pm.
  #6  
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:44 pm
Latisha's Avatar
Latisha  Female.gif Latisha is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4593 days
Location: Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Age: 37
Posts: 3,293
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04
I have to respectfully disagree with this part. IMO, Sirius embodies the qualities of a Gryffindor. He is brave, courageous, noble, loyal to his friends, etc.
Yikes! It's been a very long time since anyone has put it so nicely

But I agree, Sirius has many, many qualities that would suit him well in Gryffindor.

However, his loyalty and devotion to James would have also encouraged him to ask the hat to specifically ask for Gryffindor. Remember what was said in Snape's memory. "All my family have been in Slytherin." followed after James' taunt and declaration that he wanted to be in Gryffindor like his father Sirius said "I might be the first to break the tradition".

Quote:
I don't see any characteristics of him that would scream Slytherin to me.
Disregard for the rules and Resourceful, these are some of the main characteristics of Salazaar Slytherin's hand picked students and qualities that both Harry and Sirius have. I wouldn't put it past the hat to consider Slytherin.

Quote:
I think he is a complete contrast to his brother inside and out.
Hmm... I disagree. I think Regulus acted for the most part of his life, out of loyalty and love for his parents. Sirius did the same, but for his friends. Regulus loved greatly and so did Sirius. Both were extremely loyal to those that they treasured. I still have my pet theory that they were once very close until Sirius went to Hogwarts and was sorted in Gryffindor. The pressure from Regulus' parents would have doubled and then landslide from there on out.

Quote:
But Sirius would have been sorted before James and was also the first Marauder sorted, so he really didn't know for sure who would be with him.
Sorry, I don't think so. Sirius is extremely clever man and also a betting man, which I'm pretty sure he is. He would have taken the gamble and been confident in his choice, take that back, he would have been overly confident that James would be in Gryffindor.

Quote:
I feel like he almost accepted the fact that he would be put in Slytherin
I disagree He knew that it may be likely that he could, but he didn't seem like he was taking that sitting down. He said so himself before the sorting that "he may be the first to break tradition", so he was contemplating not being in Slytherin at all. I think the thought of not being in Slytherin and being different from everyone else in his family would have appealed to him.

Quote:
I feel like he almost accepted the fact that he would be put in Slytherin because that is where his whole family would have been. Also, he knew if he would have been placed anywhere else his family would not have been happy about it. I think he joked with James on the train about the possibility of breaking the trend, but IMO I don't really think that he believed he would. I like to picture him a bit surprised when the hat said, "GRYFFINDOR" for him.
Yeah, I just can't picture Sirius being resigned to his fate of being in a house his friend thought was **** and being apart from him. He asked specifically what house James would have choosen. So even if he didn't know which hous James was going to be in, at least he might have a chance to be in a house that would impress his friend and keep their friendship blossoming, it would have been a gamble he was willing to take. Especially if he was going to be stuck with boys like "Snivellus" if he didn't try anything.

Quote:
Good point, I don't think I have heard this come up before. But I agree, I think there was much more to their loathing of each other. But, I can definately see Sirius looking at Snape in this way
Thanks


__________________
Behind every great man, stands an amazing woman.
  #7  
Old November 1st, 2007, 4:22 am
LoveWeasleys's Avatar
LoveWeasleys  Female.gif LoveWeasleys is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4211 days
Location: The Water Gardens
Age: 34
Posts: 2,487
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latisha View Post
Disregard for the rules and Resourceful, these are some of the main characteristics of Salazaar Slytherin's hand picked students and qualities that both Harry and Sirius have. I wouldn't put it past the hat to consider Slytherin.
Possibly, but I think that all his other characteristics that define a Gyffindor trump those that he may embody that define Slytherin. Kind of like Hermione and Ravenclaw. Also, I was under the impression after reading DH that the sorting hat sensed the Voldy soul piece within Harry at the time of sorting and that is why the hat consideded Slytherin. Nevertheless, it is possible the hat considered Slytherin for Black, but I don't think he got the choice as Harry did. IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latisha View Post
Hmm... I disagree. I think Regulus acted for the most part of his life, out of loyalty and love for his parents. Sirius did the same, but for his friends. Regulus loved greatly and so did Sirius. Both were extremely loyal to those that they treasured. I still have my pet theory that they were once very close until Sirius went to Hogwarts and was sorted in Gryffindor. The pressure from Regulus' parents would have doubled and then landslide from there on out.
This may be so as well, it would be nice to think that they once did have a good relationship. But, my comment was made on the contrast that Jo specifically wrote in the story and even had Harry notice and not just the reader. Harry compares the rooms of the brothers and notices how different their decorations are. As for Regulas we found out of his bravery only after DH and after he found out the type of person Voldy really was. It was his Slytherin qualities (that trumped his brother's IMO) that led him to be sorted into Slytherin and join the DEs at such a young age. Had he never found out the type of person Voldy was I wonder how long he would have stayed his servant?....Sorry a little off topic, I will try and bring it around () All this to say the reasons I believe their is such a contrast between Regulas and Sirius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latisha View Post
Sorry, I don't think so. Sirius is extremely clever man and also a betting man, which I'm pretty sure he is. He would have taken the gamble and been confident in his choice, take that back, he would have been overly confident that James would be in Gryffindor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latisha View Post
I disagree He knew that it may be likely that he could, but he didn't seem like he was taking that sitting down. He said so himself before the sorting that "he may be the first to break tradition", so he was contemplating not being in Slytherin at all. I think the thought of not being in Slytherin and being different from everyone else in his family would have appealed to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latisha View Post
Yeah, I just can't picture Sirius being resigned to his fate of being in a house his friend thought was **** and being apart from him. He asked specifically what house James would have choosen. So even if he didn't know which hous James was going to be in, at least he might have a chance to be in a house that would impress his friend and keep their friendship blossoming, it would have been a gamble he was willing to take. Especially if he was going to be stuck with boys like "Snivellus" if he didn't try anything.
While I agree with a lot of your character assessment of Sirius and can see him acting that way. I still don't IMO think Sirius choose to be in Gryffindor. Maybe because I heard a lot lately that different characters chose to be in their house, because they embody characteristics of another house (for example Snape...etc.) and because a part of me feels like it sort of taints the idea of Sirius' Gryffindor status if he just chose to be there. And, it kind of diminishes (IMO) the job of the sorting hat, because if everyone just got to choose where to go then why not let them and be done with the hat?

I think Harry had a choice because as I stated before the IMO the sorting hat recognized the Voldy soul piece within Harry and it also illustrated one of the book's themes that is placed on the importance of choice. EEEEK! Off topic again! (sorry) Okay here we go for the full circle () all these above points are why I feel that Sirius did not choose to be in Gryffindor, but rather was placed their by the sorting hat.


  #8  
Old November 1st, 2007, 6:06 am
Isla Sofia  Female.gif Isla Sofia is offline
Bribery Queen
 
Joined: 4033 days
Posts: 712
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

I. Love. This. Guy. !!!!

Siriusly.

As far as the house debate goes, I would agree that Sirius embodies many Gryffindor qualties- immense courage, chivalry, passion, and recklessness, to start. I'm not sure he specifically asked for Gryffindor- but he might have if he had bonded with James enough on the train. The young Sirius on the train shows both fear at breaking away from his family and courage at breaking tradition at the same time- pretty brave for a kid, IMO.

I think the Sorting Hat was able to see in him his willingness to be different and placed him in Gryffindor because of it. After all, we don't exactly know what kind of relationship he had with his family before Hogwarts- I never got the impression that he was shunned by them until he was sorted into Gryffindor- rather, he was probably spoiled as a child, though with goods rather than love.

-LilyPod



Last edited by Isla Sofia; December 11th, 2007 at 5:41 pm.
  #9  
Old November 1st, 2007, 7:06 am
Latisha's Avatar
Latisha  Female.gif Latisha is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4593 days
Location: Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Age: 37
Posts: 3,293
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

*looking for the smilie waving the white flag*

Alright, alright, I agree to disagree

I do see all the points both of you are making.

1. Sirius is extremely loyal, which also can a Slytherin trait.

2. We also see that he is brave, which is a trait for both Slytherin and Gryffindor.

3. We see that he is resourceful, with can also be associated with Gryffindor, though it is more a Slytherin trait.

4. He's pureblood, which can go either way.

5. I personally think that he is cunning eg. Werewolf prank (don't get me wrong, I think he tried to scare Snape off and was cunning enough for Snape, who has never trusted him to actually listen).

6. A strong determination to do what he feels he needs to do, which could go both ways, either Gryffindor and Slytherin.

So you see where I'm going with this list. All these characteristic are exactly what make up Sirius and each and everyone can be associated with both.

Which is why I still disagree.

Furthermore... Sirius' exact words were to James, "if given a choice, what house would you be in." So he was definately thinking about being somewhere different. Because this statement combined with his later, implying he might be the first to break tradition to me indicated that the made a choice and asked the hat to put him in Gryffindor.

I think stubborn is a trait that can be associated with both

EDIT:

It is definately a bit similar to Ron and Harry's conversation on the train as well. So knowing JK and her liking to keep things going full circle, I'd like to think that Sirius "choose" to be in Gryffindor, much like Harry. The both have characteristics of both Slytherin and Gryffindor, Harry chose anywhere but Slytherin and knowing Sirius, he would have rather been the first be break tradition and be anywhere but Slytherin as well.


__________________
Behind every great man, stands an amazing woman.

Last edited by Latisha; November 1st, 2007 at 7:10 am.
  #10  
Old November 1st, 2007, 2:46 pm
LoveWeasleys's Avatar
LoveWeasleys  Female.gif LoveWeasleys is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4211 days
Location: The Water Gardens
Age: 34
Posts: 2,487
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latisha View Post
*looking for the smilie waving the white flag*

Alright, alright, I agree to disagree
Lovely avatar by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyPod View Post
I think the Sorting Hat was able to see in him his willingness to be different and placed him in Gryffindor because of it. After all, we don't exactly know what kind of relationship he had with his family before Hogwarts- I never got the impression that he was shunned by them until he was sorted into Gryffindor- rather, he was probably spoiled as a child, though with goods rather than love.
I like to think that he had a good relationship with his family as well. I see him as always being the rebel of the family and probably causing his mother a grief and frustration growing up, but I think that his mother really did love him and didn't it say somewhere that it "broke her heart" when Sirius ran away? I could have sworn Kretcher said that at some point...

I think him being sorted into Gryffindor was the beginning of the end in his rift with his family. As he got older and became closer friends with James I think he probably started to see his family for what they really were and with the ongoing war, it got to the time that he had to choose sides. I think that shows his immense bravery in being able to stand up too his family and their decades of beliefs. To have been sort of emancipated from his family must have been terribly difficult for a boy of 16.



Last edited by LoveWeasleys; November 1st, 2007 at 2:50 pm.
  #11  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:03 am
Latisha's Avatar
Latisha  Female.gif Latisha is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4593 days
Location: Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Age: 37
Posts: 3,293
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASELYS04
Lovely avatar by the way.
Well, it's true

Quote:
As he got older and became closer friends with James I think he probably started to see his family for what they really were and with the ongoing war
Agreed He didn't seem to fazed in the train that his family was all in Slytherin and I think was a bit facsinated by James' disapproval. Good point


__________________
Behind every great man, stands an amazing woman.
  #12  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 2:47 am
missbrunettgirl  Female.gif missbrunettgirl is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4258 days
Location: the south
Age: 26
Posts: 107
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

In DH, we see Sirius' room at 12GP. How does the room reflect his personality?
Definatly I was so excited to see Sirius's room it showed how he was before the war which I really appreciated.

The letter from Lily shows that they got along very well. Has the letter changed your view on Sirius' relationship with his best friend's wife?
No. I always assumed that they got along well.

Why did Sirius mistrust Remus in 1981? Was Peter to blame for the rift?
I have always wondered about this. I think it was because Sirius thought that Voldomort would rather go after Remus than a weak Peter. Also, Remus was probably distant after school because of his adversity as a werewolf.

Did Sirius know that his brother left the Death Eaters at the time? Would he have helped him?
I don't think he knew because when he spoke of him Sirius still seemed very bitter. He probably never kept track of his family after he left.

Sirius never had the chance to grow up. Has the character matured at all?
I think he did a little, but the damage that azkaban caused was ireprabel in ways.

How did Deathly Hallows influence your view on Sirius? Were you pleased or disappointed with the role he played?
I loved Sirius in Deathly Hallows. I loved seeing Sirius happy and in the company of the people he loved: His family.


Was Sirius right in how he treated Harry? Was he a good godfather?
I think he did the best he could, but he in ways wasn't equipped to be an adult and take on adult responsibilitys.

Would Sirius have died for Peter Pettigrew in 1981?
I think he would have yes.

Do you think Sirius asked to be sorted into Gryffindor?
I kind of think he just natrually had gryffindor charateristics.

What was Sirius' enmity with Snape based on?
They were pretty much polar oppisites. Snape wanted everything Sirius had (family, power, dark connections) and Sirius could care less.

Sirius apparently suffered from depression in OotP. Do you think that he got any support from his friends and fellow Order members? How was his relationship with them?
I think he got it from Remus and maybe tonks.


__________________

Pottermore House
Wand: Elder, Unicorn Tail, 14 1/2, hard.
  #13  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 2:49 am
LoveWeasleys's Avatar
LoveWeasleys  Female.gif LoveWeasleys is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4211 days
Location: The Water Gardens
Age: 34
Posts: 2,487
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latisha View Post
reed He didn't seem to fazed in the train that his family was all in Slytherin and I think was a bit facsinated by James' disapproval. Good point
Speaking of James' disapproval...I love love Sirius' reaction to his comment. He doesn't get mad or offended, but just gives a cool smile and chuckle. Gah...even at 11 this boy is the coolest kid. It also shows that he was light hearted and fun, not taking things too seriously. I can see how the two had a connection from the get go.


  #14  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 3:30 am
Beatifically's Avatar
Beatifically  Female.gif Beatifically is offline
Elvendork
 
Joined: 4194 days
Location: Central Perk
Age: 26
Posts: 2,183
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
I think him being sorted into Gryffindor was the beginning of the end in his rift with his family. As he got older and became closer friends with James I think he probably started to see his family for what they really were and with the ongoing war, it got to the time that he had to choose sides. I think that shows his immense bravery in being able to stand up too his family and their decades of beliefs. To have been sort of emancipated from his family must have been terribly difficult for a boy of 16.
It's possible that James' influence made Sirius realize blood supremacy is wrong. If James was the main factor in Sirius' disapproval of the so-called "purity of blood," then I think it probably made its biggest effect in the first and second year. I think it was around second or third year Sirius found out about Remus' furry little problem. Instead of desering his best friend as most of the Black family undoubtedly would have done, he stayed by his side and worked to become an unregistered animagus for him. Seeing the cruelty the wizarding world has against werewolves might have also added to Sirius' rejection of his mother's ideas.

While it's possible that James was a factor, I think it's possible that Sirius disliked the idea of pureblood supremacy on his own. On a show I was watching, there was this mother who was racist, but her daughter said that she wished her mother wouldn't think that way. Children are very capable of having their own independent beliefs, and I think Sirius was as well. Even if this is the case, I think James' beliefs would have strengthened Sirius' ideas.


__________________

CoS and Pottermore sorted
You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

- Aristotle

Specialises in awesome picspams.
  #15  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 6:32 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4713 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatifically View Post
While it's possible that James was a factor, I think it's possible that Sirius disliked the idea of pureblood supremacy on his own. On a show I was watching, there was this mother who was racist, but her daughter said that she wished her mother wouldn't think that way. Children are very capable of having their own independent beliefs, and I think Sirius was as well. Even if this is the case, I think James' beliefs would have strengthened Sirius' ideas.
I agree. On the train, Sirius said maybe he'd be the one to break the family tradition of being a Slytherin and he did. I believe he'd already determined that the blood purist ideology was a sham. I do agree that his friends would further validate his beliefs though.


__________________
  #16  
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:17 am
IntricateLogic  Female.gif IntricateLogic is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4252 days
Location: New Jersey
Age: 24
Posts: 286
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatifically View Post

While it's possible that James was a factor, I think it's possible that Sirius disliked the idea of pureblood supremacy on his own. On a show I was watching, there was this mother who was racist, but her daughter said that she wished her mother wouldn't think that way. Children are very capable of having their own independent beliefs, and I think Sirius was as well. Even if this is the case, I think James' beliefs would have strengthened Sirius' ideas.

I also agree with you. I think that, in his mother's eyes, Sirius was an oddball child who could actually think and feel for himself !

Seriously though, I think that Sirius definately saw that it was just wrong, and then when he went to Hogwarts, and when he was friends with James, and the other Marauders, and Lily, his opinion was, IMO, strengthened a whole lot. Sirius has also shown a rebel side to him. I wonder if the "my blood is not better than anyone elses" thing had to do with the fact that he disliked his family, and that maybe got the ball rolling, or if he just always believed it. Personally, I think that he probably always thought that (since he wasn't a fan of his family) anyone else had better blood than him, because they didn't share it with his mother.


__________________
DC<3
Life on the moon...could it be any stranger?

~~Proud Owner of J.K.Rowling's Autograph~~

Fanfiction.net: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 2 Avatar fics posted)
Fictionpress.com: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 1 General fic posted)

Last edited by IntricateLogic; November 3rd, 2007 at 12:20 am.
  #17  
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:39 am
Latisha's Avatar
Latisha  Female.gif Latisha is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4593 days
Location: Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Age: 37
Posts: 3,293
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVESWEASLEYS04
Speaking of James' disapproval...I love love Sirius' reaction to his comment. He doesn't get mad or offended, but just gives a cool smile and chuckle. Gah...even at 11 this boy is the coolest kid. It also shows that he was light hearted and fun, not taking things too seriously. I can see how the two had a connection from the get go.
Sirius.... The essence of cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifically
Children are very capable of having their own independent beliefs, and I think Sirius was as well.
Excellent obversation. Sirius himself once said about Regulus, that he was too 'soft' and soaked up his parents ideas. Implying that Sirius wasn't happy to just accept his parents ideas in the first place.

But I agree that James would have been a factor in truly stirring Sirius up to rebel against his parents ideas.


__________________
Behind every great man, stands an amazing woman.
  #18  
Old November 3rd, 2007, 5:52 pm
RemusLupinFan's Avatar
RemusLupinFan  Female.gif RemusLupinFan is offline
I want to believe
 
Joined: 5283 days
Location: The office in the basement
Posts: 5,897
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

1. In DH, we see Sirius' room at 12GP. How does the room reflect his personality?
I think it reflected his personality very well actually. It illustrated his rebellious nature, with the posters of scantily-clad women permanently stuck on his wall.

2. The letter from Lily shows that they got along very well. Has the letter changed your view on Sirius' relationship with his best friend's wife?
Not really, since I had imagined that they all got along very well post-Hogwarts, since they were all in the Order fighting against Voldemort together. Also since Sirius was like a brother to James, I'd imagine Lily and Sirius probably would have gotten on well.

3. Why did Sirius mistrust Remus in 1981? Was Peter to blame for the rift?
I always thought it had to do with Peter subtly influencing him to mistrust Remus (and likewise causing Remus to distrust Sirius). I could see him trying to manipulate the situation so that suspicion was cast everywhere but on himself. Also, I think Remus could have been a bit distant during that time perhaps due to his work with the Order, which likely involved the werewolves.

4. Did Sirius know that his brother left the Death Eaters at the time? Would he have helped him?
Well, he seemed to know that Regulus had tried to leave because he felt like he was in over his head, but I don't think he knew exactly how much Regulus had changed his mind about Voldemort. If he had, I think he would have helped his brother, since Regulus had pretty much denouced Voldemort was actively seeking to undermine him.

5. Sirius never had the chance to grow up. Has the character matured at all?
Yes, I think he did to a point. During his life he did show responsibility for Harry and tried to be a parental figure for him, someone who was there in times of need. His growth was, of course, stunted by his term in Azkaban, but I do believe there was some amount of maturation for his character.

6. How did Deathly Hallows influence your view on Sirius? Were you pleased or disappointed with the role he played?
I liked that Sirius came back with the Resurrection Stone - that's really the only role he played in DH. That showed just how much he cared about Harry. I'd have liked to see more of him, but I liked what we did get to see.

7. Was Sirius right in how he treated Harry? Was he a good godfather?
In some ways yes, and in some ways no. Yes in that he was always there for Harry when he needed someone to talk to, and he was there in a capacity that made Harry feel he could tell him anything that was on his mind without Sirius thinking it was stupid. But one of Sirius' flaws is comparing James to Harry, the biggest example of that being in OotP when he tells Harry the danger would have made it fun for James. That's an area where Sirius could have improved in his treatment of Harry.

8. Would Sirius have died for Peter Pettigrew in 1981?
He wouldn't have hesitated if Peter hadn't turned traitor. But now I think not- Peter is pretty much on Sirius' black list right now.

[B9. ]Do you think Sirius asked to be sorted into Gryffindor?[/b]
Actually, I bet he probably had the same plea as Harry: "Not Slytherin". He may not have asked for Gryffindor specifically (or maybe he did), but I do think he probably asked not to be put into Slytherin, considering nearly his whole family was in that House, and considering he had clearly renounced all that Slytherin stood for.

10. What was Sirius' enmity with Snape based on?
Probably mostly what James' enmity with him was based on - the fact that he was into the Dark Arts. And I'm sure if James and Snape hated each other on first sight, Sirius would have also hated Snape on first sight since he was good friends with James. I got the feeling that James and Sirius were very similar in temperament and personality during their school years (and some of those similarities carried over into their adult years). Therefore, they'd likely have had similar opinions of Severus.

11. Sirius apparently suffered from depression in OotP. Do you think that he got any support from his friends and fellow Order members? How was his relationship with them?
I'm sure he got support from the other Order members - they must have seen how unhappy he was to be cooped up in 12GP. But I think Remus probably helped and supported him more than the others (aside from Harry, who always brightened Sirius' spirits when they saw each other) considering he was the only Marauder left. It would seem that Remus probably provided him a tie to the "good times", and I'll bet the two of them probably reminisced a lot. But the only problem was that Remus was often gone for long periods of time, so then Sirius would have sunk back into depression.


__________________

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
  #19  
Old November 3rd, 2007, 5:57 pm
Beatifically's Avatar
Beatifically  Female.gif Beatifically is offline
Elvendork
 
Joined: 4194 days
Location: Central Perk
Age: 26
Posts: 2,183
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

In DH, we see Sirius' room at 12GP. How does the room reflect his personality?
It just adds to the Sirius' rebellious nature. I found it amusing that he was willing to put up pictures of Muggle girls just to irritate his friends. Clearly he loved to make them angry!

The letter from Lily shows that they got along very well. Has the letter changed your view on Sirius' relationship with his best friend's wife?
Not really. In PoA, they kept on saying Sirius was Lily and James Potter's best friend. I found it nice that they got along well.

Why did Sirius mistrust Remus in 1981? Was Peter to blame for the rift?
In PoA, Dumbledore apparently knew that someone close to the Potters was telling Voldemort about their every move. I think Sirius chose Remus because he knew Remus was far more intelligent and better use for Voldemort. Sirius didn't expect Peter for the reason he thought Voldemort wouldn't expect him to be Secret Keeper: he seemed too unlikely. So between Remus and Peter, he chose the more intelligent, more useful person to Voldemort.

Did Sirius know that his brother left the Death Eaters at the time? Would he have helped him?
I don't think he did know that Regulus left. I can't imagine Sirius helping him because I can't even imagine Regulus letting Sirius find out. It just seems to unlikely to me.

Sirius never had the chance to grow up. Has the character matured at all?
Yes, somewhat. He was very mature throughout GoF and offered Harry lots of wisdom. He fit the role of a responsible godfather in that book.

How did Deathly Hallows influence your view on Sirius? Were you pleased or disappointed with the role he played?
I didn't expect him to play a larger role than he did, especially since he's dead. I loved chapter 35 when Sirius came back to support Harry along with his best friends. The only problem I had with Sirius' role is that we don't know if any of Harry's children were named after him!

Was Sirius right in how he treated Harry? Was he a good godfather?
Yes.

Would Sirius have died for Peter Pettigrew in 1981?
Before Lily and James died, I'm sure he would haved died for Peter, as he said in PoA. After he found out that Peter betrayed him . . . I think Sirius was more concerned about killing Peter himself.

Do you think Sirius asked to be sorted into Gryffindor?
It's possible. I imagine the Sorting Hat put him in Gryffindor because of his personality alone. He is a daredevil, loyal and reckless - true Gryffindor qualities to me!

What was Sirius' enmity with Snape based on?
Sirius and Snape were bound to loathe each other. They already didn't like each other when they met on the train. According to Sirius in GoF, Snape came to Hogwarts knowing more Dark Arts than the seventh years. Snape had love for the Dark Arts and ideas about Muggles and Muggleborns similar to the Black family, two things Sirius was against.

Sirius apparently suffered from depression in OotP. Do you think that he got any support from his friends and fellow Order members? How was his relationship with them?
Out of all the members, I think Sirius got the most support from Remus. They were both outsiders in the wizarding world at that point, so I think Sirius could really relate to him.


__________________

CoS and Pottermore sorted
You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

- Aristotle

Specialises in awesome picspams.
  #20  
Old November 3rd, 2007, 6:45 pm
LoonyMagic's Avatar
LoonyMagic  Female.gif LoonyMagic is offline
Beauxbatons Champion
 
Joined: 4193 days
Location: Dreaming
Age: 27
Posts: 1,899
Re: Sirius Black: Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatifically
In PoA, Dumbledore apparently knew that someone close to the Potters was telling Voldemort about their every move. I think Sirius chose Remus because he knew Remus was far more intelligent and better use for Voldemort. Sirius didn't expect Peter for the reason he thought Voldemort wouldn't expect him to be Secret Keeper: he seemed too unlikely. So between Remus and Peter, he chose the more intelligent, more useful person to Voldemort.
Wonderfully put and I agree. Remus would have been the most useful to Voldemort, with his intellegence and skills, and also with the fact that Voldemort would have probably been gathering as many werewolves as possible at this point. He would be much more useful to Voldemort. Sirius underestimated how much of a coward and a traitor Peter could be. A bad judgement on Sirius' part, but I think he would have weighed up the options, and that is the outcome many other people would have come up with


__________________
Voted Noobie of the Year in The Hogsmeade Awards.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Bookmarks

Tags
character analysis, marauders, sirius black, the marauders


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 8:26 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.