Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old December 31st, 2018, 3:07 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Bohemian Rhapsody - 7/10 - mostly a lot of fun, plenty of laugh out loud moments, a bit too hagiographic (to be expected when the remaining members of Queen are the producers), lots of music, a few liberties to make a narrative, and a decent amount of tragedy.

Welcome to Marwen - 8/10 - very interesting, a little too neat in resolution, but very excellent use of the resources of film to present the internal dilemma of the man recovering from his trauma.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2019, 9:05 pm
Ravenclaw Prefect

Finally got around to catching up on:

Incredibles 2--a fun sequel to a great movie, this movie has some really clever moments and good humor. It's a good movie for girl power--Elastigirl gets a chance to show off some really good smarts as well as inventive uses of her superpowers, and Violet shows a lot of growth in her abilities with her power as well as in a ramping up of her maturity and responsibility. Mr Incredible has a nice character arc as well, and Jack Jack, Dash and Edna have some great funny moments. Frozone gets some moments to shine, too, so there's some great spreading of the wealth. The story is solid, although as another review said, much of the first movie is undone by the setup to this one. Still, it's a decent plot without too many holes or obvious inconsistencies. Overall, a fun and good movie that I really enjoyed and look forward to seeing again.

Maze Runner: The Death Cure--a decent popcorn adventure flick despite the typical plot holes and classic "why did they do that" moments from several characters. I thought it was better put together than the Scorch Trials, but still consider the first Maze Runner film to be the best of the trilogy. The acting and effects are good, and it was definitely easy to spot the sequence where Dylan O'Brien was injured during filming; I give him credit for returning to finish the film considering the severity of his injuries. I don't love the ending; it's a little vague as regards finding and implementing the cure for the Flare virus, but the film overall was enjoyable, and the series as a whole was a decent adventure series despite some flaws.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old February 11th, 2019, 12:48 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

The Greatest Showman--this was a very good movie! Good songs, good acting, and an engaging story. Hugh Jackman's PT Barnum is perhaps less "showy" than I would have imagined, but probably more realistic the way he was portrayed. The circus performers are very sympathetically done, and Barnum's daughters are adorable. I enjoyed this film a lot, and I expect that I'll be watching it again in the future. On a side note, it's a good film for the whole family--my 12 year old niece loves it.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Old February 13th, 2019, 8:49 pm
Curse Breaker

The Favorite--6.5/10. This feels really weird to me. A well-directed, well-acted, well shot film that just left me cold. Three excellent performances, but it felt like drinking exceptionally well-crafted poison.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old February 17th, 2019, 10:29 pm
Zonko's Employee

"Isn't it Romantic?" 5/10 It was okay, given that it is a set-up that allows for infinite plot holes that can be explained away by the premise. For me the best part was Jennifer Saunders in the opening sequence with her 'there are no happy endings for women like us' rant, in light of her Shrek II line 'ogres don't get happy endings.' I don't know if that parallel was deliberate, but I liked it. But from there the movie was downhill.

I also saw What Men Want. 6/10 I could criticize more things, but ... one, it is basically about lead character as an overcompetitive boor learning to not be one, so she was a male stereotype learning to not be one. I'll give credit for this, though, that what really turned her around was seeing that the guy she was interested in really wanted to be a great dad and have a stable loving trusting relationship. At least they flipped the script pretty thoroughly. And second, the product placement was overwhelming, and the product was Atlanta. I live in Atlanta metro and I like Georgia's recent prominence in the film industry, but it was pretty heavy.

Second Act - 3/10 - real yawner, mostly cringeworthy.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old March 8th, 2019, 4:23 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Deadpool 2--hilarious, most definitely not family friendly. There's some fantastic fight choreography and a bunch of super-funny fourth-wall breaking and other-movie-references. Ryan Reynolds nails it as Deadpool again, and Josh Brolin does a great job as Cable. Zazie Beetz' Domino is a fantastic new character, and Julian Dennison impresses as Russell. This movie is definitely not for everyone, with lots of bad language and graphic violence, but if that's not a deal-breaker, it's a fun parody of superhero movies with a surprising amount of emotion mixed in throughout the film. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Old March 8th, 2019, 2:53 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhelda View Post
Deadpool 2--hilarious, most definitely not family friendly. There's some fantastic fight choreography and a bunch of super-funny fourth-wall breaking and other-movie-references. Ryan Reynolds nails it as Deadpool again, and Josh Brolin does a great job as Cable. Zazie Beetz' Domino is a fantastic new character, and Julian Dennison impresses as Russell. This movie is definitely not for everyone, with lots of bad language and graphic violence, but if that's not a deal-breaker, it's a fun parody of superhero movies with a surprising amount of emotion mixed in throughout the film. Overall, I enjoyed it.
I agree. Part of the point is to wallow in the over-the-top tastelessness of it, which would actually apply to most of the other superhero movies if they did not take themselves so seriously. It's kind of like watching Mel Brooks movies, esp., The Producers, Blazing Saddles and Space Balls - if you want more delicate, nuanced comedy, see the Three Stooges. Brroks was asked about the tastelessness of The Producers, and said something like "lady, this movie would have to be cleaned up to come up to the level of tasteless.' That's how Deadpool II is (probably I as well, but did not see it).

Old March 11th, 2019, 4:42 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Just saw Yugioh: The Dark Side of Dimensions and I really liked it. Almost teared up at points. Everyone did a good job voice wise and the story, apart from any flaws, was good. Was surprised at how much I still cared for the characters after all these years. Grew up with the English/US version, and the cast didn't disappoint.

I give it around a 7/10. Just a nice movie to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhelda View Post
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom--entertaining, but best not to think too hard about it. It has a lot of things reminiscent of The Lost World: Jurassic Park 2 (and that's not praise), but the characters are somewhat more engaging in the latest movie. The on-island stuff goes by fairly quickly, then suddenly you're on the mainland with an improbable dino adventure in northern California. No spoilers, so I won't go into detail, but there's some brachiosaurus-sized plot holes, hence the "don't think too hard about it" line above. The ending is both uplifting to the conservationist in me, and disturbing in a "you're going to get people killed with that stunt you just pulled" way. Jeff Goldblum's much-touted appearance is a cameo that adds essentially nothing to the movie except a marketing stunt. Still, Pratt and Howard do a decent job, the new kid-in-danger role is adequately done, and the new sidekicks have some interesting moments. Overall, I enjoyed it for what it is--a Hollywood spectacle with action, explosions, and cool dinosaurs, but a movie that won't win any awards for plot, story, or intelligence.

(The YouTube "How It Should Have Ended" video for this movie is hilarious and right on the money, by the way, pointing out the extreme silliness of some of those aforementioned plot holes and demonstrating more realistic consequences for some of the head-scratching character decisions than were in the film.)
I'd say about the same about it myself. It was ok, but the best part about it for me were the dinosaurs for the most part.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; March 11th, 2019 at 4:50 am.
Old March 11th, 2019, 5:51 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Captain Marvel--Finally, the MCU has a movie led by a female superhero, and she packs a wallop! She's a really interesting character, and Brie Larson does a very nice job portraying Marvel's newest superhero. The supporting cast does a nice job with their characters as well. Samuel Jackson's de-aged Nick Fury was an entertaining sidekick to Larson's Carol Danvers (although the de-aging for him and for Clark Gregg's Phil Coulson doesn't entirely avoid the uncanny valley effect--it's better than some attempts at the effect, but still doesn't look natural). Goose the Cat is also a highlight, although explaining how would involve spoilers. The movie is entertaining, although the way the story is built caused me some confusion while watching it; having said that, all confusion is dispelled by the final act, and the storytelling device enables the audience to learn what's going on in much the same way as Captain Marvel does. Overall, it's a good addition to the MCU cannon--not one of the best, but enjoyable, interesting and well done. I look forward to seeing what Carol Danvers will contribute in the upcoming Avengers: Endgame.

Edited to add: forgot to mention that the Marvel Studios credit in the beginning of the film was changed to show Stan Lee's cameo appearances over the years, a sweet tribute to the man who was responsible for so many of the Marvel characters and stories from the movies. I thought it was a great way to honor his memory.

Last edited by Anhelda; March 11th, 2019 at 5:35 pm.
Old March 19th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Finally saw Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. Thought that everyone did a good job acting wise and liked a lot of it. But I can see where some of the pacing and editing seemed strange. And I'm no fan of how some parts panned out.

Spoiler: show
The moving back and forth between the present at Hogwarts with Dumbledore and the Ministry and then the past with Leta and co., being still in school, was a bit confusing at first.

No fan with how Queenie was treated in this movie. Big thumbs down from me here.

I give this movie a 7/10 overall for the good I did see in it.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; March 19th, 2019 at 7:47 pm.
Old March 30th, 2019, 1:54 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Mary Poppins Returns--well, it isn't as good as the original Mary Poppins, but it was cute. Emily Blunt did as good a job as anyone not named Julie Andrews could do as Mary Poppins, and Lin-Manuel Miranda was his typical amazing self as her friend Jack. The next generation of Banks children was entertaining, none of them a clone of the previous movie's children. The adult Michael and Jane were okay, but kind of boring. There were a lot of callbacks to the original movie, both in direct references and in elements that were clearly inspired by the first film. The songs were not as catchy as the Sherman Brothers' originals, but they were still good in their own right. Overall, I enjoyed it and will probably watch it again; it wasn't quite as magical as the original, but it's still very well done and entertaining.

Old April 1st, 2019, 6:35 pm
Zonko's Employee

I saw 2 this weekend.

Gloria Bell - 7/10 - more of a light character sketch of a woman dealing with trying to find purpose once her children are developing their own adult lives (not really dealing with divorce in that she has been divorced for 16 years as the movie opens). It's not bad, but don't expect big thrills or enlightenment.

UnPlanned - 9/10 - It was a well-made movie. I was afraid it would be too heavy-handed, since it is unashamedly anti-abortion. However, it was well put together and enjoyable as a movie about someone having a crisis of conscience and a change of heart. That being said, it does not go easy on the abortion issue or Planned Parenthood. There are parts that are hard to watch. Yet, like the Gosnell Movie, it works hard to stay factual and not go over the top.

Old April 6th, 2019, 12:50 am
Member of the Order

Alita, Battle Angel
The character, was naÔve, vulnerable, yet had spunk, and showed courage.
The action was amazing, and her trial run in that "arena" was breathtaking.
I just saw a lot that I just liked and loved...

What I want for the sequel, is a lot more backstory on her earlier battles...because the flashbacks she had fascinated me. The United Republics of Mars had all that kind of tech and lost? Inside job apparently. Renegade technocrat...(Nova?)

On that Alita eye-thing, I confess if I hadn't read about some things I think I would have missed it.
But I was looking for Michelle Rodriguez's character, who was Alita's trainer/superior...and I thought "too much a coincidence" so I read "stuff."

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old April 10th, 2019, 2:14 am

Finally got to see Stan and Ollie. Loved it. It's a true love letter to the both of them. Gets a solid 8/10 from me.

Just saw Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind yesterday. It's a very good documentary. I was in tears by the end of it.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; April 11th, 2019 at 5:09 pm.
Old April 12th, 2019, 4:31 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World--a beautifully animated, worthy end to an excellent movie series. The voice acting is excellent again, the character development is good, John Powell's score is awesome as usual, and the story, although not breaking any new ground, is well done. The relationship between Hiccup and Toothless, as always the core of the series, continues to show an organic progression, leading to a satisfying, albeit bittersweet conclusion. The whole Dragon series has been fantastic, and I highly recommend the entire trilogy as quality entertainment.

Old April 13th, 2019, 5:18 am

Just saw Ready Player One today and liked it ok. Loved the different video game cameos and easter eggs.

Old April 13th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Zonko's Employee

Diane - 4/10 - terminally gloomy, with virtually no high points. The acing and production was fine, but the script and the storyline were just a miserable slog, ultimately saying nothing really. The high point for me was seeing Andrea Martin in it - I have liked her since SCTV.

Missing Link - 7/10 - it was pretty good, I guess. The animation was excellent, but the characterization was painful. The storyline was okay, but the development of it was strained. Yeah, I know it is animation, and most kids won't care, but the story and characters should be tight enough for adults too - How to Train Your Dragon and Small Foot got it.

Last edited by Dedalus Diggle; May 2nd, 2019 at 3:10 pm.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 4:40 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Avengers: Endgame--Wow, this one will be hard to review without giving spoilers, but I'll attempt it nonetheless. First of all, I thought that it worked well overall, with some great action, some really interesting callbacks to prior MCU movies, and some interesting twists to how everything unfolds. The story focuses on the Avengers who survived Infinity War for the vast majority of the film (not surprising, really), which unfortunately makes anyone else's role little more than a glorified cameo. For example, after her big debut movie, Captain Marvel is barely in this movie, when I thought she was supposed to be pivotal to the story moving forward from the way she was hyped. Similarly, Okoye from Black Panther is given very little screentime despite being prominently shown in some of the movie posters. There's some plot twists that can be confusing, but I thought that they worked themselves out by the end of the movie for the most part. A character from the Marvel TV show Agent Carter made a cameo, which I liked, being a fan of that show, and which finally had the MCU movies acknowledge the existence of the TV shows that are supposed to be in the same universe. You don't need to know Agent Carter for this movie, but for those who do know it, it's a nice little Easter egg. This movie struck me as being more serious than Infinity War, but considering the state of the world as it starts, that's not really surprising. There is still some humor, but I felt it was less promient in this movie than in previous films. In contrast, there are several tear-jerker moments, and there was definitely audible sniffling in the theater on more than one occasion (and it wasn't just me, I swear it!). Overall, this film was entertaining, emotional, well-acted, well made, and a pretty impressive way to close the first 11 years of the MCU. I'm sure I'll be watching it again several times, and I look forward to seeing how the stories evolve from here.

Old May 2nd, 2019, 3:37 pm
Zonko's Employee

Breakthrough - 8/10 - I was afraid it would be too preachy, with too many perfectly-faithful characters. However, no one is perfect by any means. In that regard it was like Small Group, another faith movie where people are working through being good people despite the real world and the temptations to do wrong. In some ways it had much the feel of the Gosnell Movie, in that it presented as accurately as possible an actual documented historical (recent history, anyway) that was significant in its context. They included at the end the actual people and a quote from the medical report of the ER doctor "The patient was dead, the mother prayed, the patient revived" (not a perfect quote, but close)

Old May 8th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Just got done watching Venom. Ended up being better than I thought it would be. Don't get why so many reviewers panned it. It reminds me of other superhero movies out there, formula wise. It gets a 7/10 overall, it's a bit dragging in parts but not bad.

---------------------------

Just saw Aquaman, and like Venom... I thought it was pretty good. Don't get why so many people disliked it. It was like a lot of super hero movies. It gets a 7/10 from me overall. Also saw the Girl in the Spider's Web. It was good, but the plot felt rather thin in parts. It gets a 6/10 from me.

---------------------------

Went out and saw Detective Pikachu today. Really liked it, it's far from perfect, but still worth the watch. It gets an 8/10 from me overall, 7/10 (if I include any of the weak points I saw in the film).

Really liked it...

Minus the news person with the Psyduck. She got on my nerves a bit. Really got creeped out by Ditto though. Holy Arceus, is it creepy! Even more so than Mr. Mime.

There was one part that really cracked me up. Tim's dad had his tv on and the movie they were showing was the VERY same one from the Home Alone movies! Totally geeked out over that!

https://kotaku.com/detective-pikachu...d-e-1834743814

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; May 17th, 2019 at 4:36 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion