Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Artemis Fowl Thread

Old November 30th, 2006, 3:45 am
Second Year

Re: Artemis Fowl Thread

I love Artemis Fowl and my favorite characters are probably Commander Root and Butler. I love them!

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2006, 4:38 am
Fifth Year

I've only read to the Arctic Incident. It was amazingly hard for me to get through the first one though. I'm not sure I want to try the Eternity Code though. Can anyone tell me what it's about and if it jumps greatly? That was one of the biggest reasons I couldn't get throught the first one very easily.

Old November 30th, 2006, 5:26 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchelRay View Post
I've only read to the Arctic Incident. It was amazingly hard for me to get through the first one though. I'm not sure I want to try the Eternity Code though. Can anyone tell me what it's about and if it jumps greatly? That was one of the biggest reasons I couldn't get throught the first one very easily.
The Eternity Code jumps a little bit, but not as much as the first book. It is about Artemis making a revolutionary computer using fairy technology and letting a business man pay him to keep it off the market so his business doesn't go bankrupt from being so far behind. I personally recommend it.

My favorite in the series is still the original, although I love them all. And my favorite character is Artemis Fowl the Second (if you couldn't tell from my username).

Last edited by Artemis_Fowl_2; November 30th, 2006 at 5:28 pm.
Old December 1st, 2006, 2:50 pm
Third Year

I am obsessed with Artemis Fowl.. I've only read the first three books but they were Awesome!! Foaly is just funny... it wouldn't have been a proper book without him.

Old December 2nd, 2006, 7:50 pm
Second Year

Artemis Fowl =
I was so obsessed with it when I was younger that I started writing notes to people in the secret code, even though no one knew what the heck I was talking about. I decoded the 4th one, but when I went to decode the 1st one, I discovered that my mom had given the book away! Oh well...the message isn't anything important, though it is a little funny. I'll post it later if I have time.

the stars are blazing like rebel diamonds cut out of the sun
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:13 pm
Fifth Year

I had kind of wondered what the code was... Not really though. I may go to the library then and pick The Eternity Code up but I'm probably not going to buy it. There are too many other books that I want to buy at the moment.

Old December 5th, 2006, 12:39 am
Second Year

Here's the translated code from The Opal Deception:

Spoiler: show
A recruitment letter from the centaur Foaly technical consultant to the lower elements police. Trusted ally, if you have decoded this Gnommish message, then you are a deputy officer in the Lower Elements Police. You will not be aware of this fact because it is the practice of the LEP to mindwipe our human allies. We do this so they cannot remember being recruited. If you cannot remember the fairy people or our underground city, then you cannot betray our existence to the greedy humans. Of course not all humans are greedy. You, deputy, are a noble member of your species. And clever too. We only recruit the best. Our intelligence department studied your file and concluded that you were suitable for LEP membership. At the moment, you are only a deputy officer. To become a fully fledged officer, you must complete four tasks. Number one: decode this message. Something you are well on your way to completing. Number two: save the life of a member of another species. You can complete this task in any number of ways. Open a window to release a trapped fly. Build a bird bath in your garden. Release a mouse from a trap. Number three: achieve a perfect score on a school test or homework assignment. In this job you need to be smart as well as fit. Number four: wash yourself every day for a week. This is a difficult assignment especially for human boys who do not like contact with water. If you are going to work underground often in cramped tunnels you will appreciate a partner who does not smell like a hermit dwarf. Once you have completed these tasks you must summon your recruting officer in the ancient fashion. Go to your back yard or the nearest green area. Make sure you are not being watched. Find a soft spot of ground and burrow a six-inch hole with a broom handle or short stick. When your hole is ready, tap out the letters l-e-p in horse code. The code for l-e-p is as follows: l: tap-tap-wiggle-tap e:wiggle-wiggle-tap p:tap-wiggle-drill. Do this at least a hundred times and our underground sensors will pick up the vibration and send a lep officer with your uniform and orders. Good luck, deputy. Foaly.

Whew. That was really long. I wonder if you can get carpel tunnel from typing excessively...

the stars are blazing like rebel diamonds cut out of the sun

Last edited by stetson; December 14th, 2006 at 11:34 pm.
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:07 pm
First Year

I loved The Lost Colony. I have a copy of it (bought it the first day it came out of course). I seriously considered making my user name something with Artemis Fowl, but I love Harry Potter too much to do that. These are very close behind Harry Potter though. I love the way Artemis changes in every book. The only thing I don't like about the books is Mulch Diggums. Sorry if I am offending anyone by this.

Old December 10th, 2006, 11:15 pm
First Year

Mulch is awesome!! i also got the book the 1st day and finished it like 2 hrs. after i bought it

Old December 11th, 2006, 12:16 am
Sixth Year

I love Artemis Fowl...I haven't read the fifth yet. So don't spoil it!

You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept.

Old December 11th, 2006, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by remusfan View Post
I seriously considered making my user name something with Artemis Fowl, but I love Harry Potter too much to do that.
When I joined this board I thought that it is so large that there was no point in even trying to come up with a unique Harry Potter name. Sometimes I wish I had tried, but I am fine being Artemis Fowl II. I do like Harry Potter more, but I do love Artemis Fowl!

Old December 11th, 2006, 9:35 pm
First Year

AWW tis ok ull live ur names cool

Btw i love Foaly he ma fave charictar i think its the quick wit or the way he stirs **** that makes me like him

but he reminds me of my uncle!

i cant wait 4 da 7th book its gona be so good

Spoiler: show
Snape Is A GOOD guy
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:43 pm
Second Year

I have all the Artemis Fowl Books and I've read them several time, although they aren't as good as HP of corse, Arty rules, I went on holiday to Ireland, partly, coz of those books. Ireland is awesome, feries rule, Arty rules and Juliett rocks, the third is my fave. God, I sound like I should be on a Artemis Fowl fan site not a HP one. Of course HP is soooo much better but that goes without saying. Go Arty!

*Iglybo*
Old December 17th, 2006, 2:37 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwHSH View Post
One of my best friends has been nagging me to read the series ever since she read them. I'm about to start, i just have to go to the library (now where did i put my library card?) I can't wait to read it!

I'm the nagging friend! I feel so proud!

Old December 23rd, 2006, 10:55 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Original Quote from moonfoot:
I really hope they make a movie out of these books soon.
I read awhile ago that they were gonna make a movie out of them but I haven't heard anything else since.

Quote:
Original Quote from Stetson:
I was so obsessed with it when I was younger that I started writing notes to people in the secret code, even though no one knew what the heck I was talking about. I decoded the 4th one, but when I went to decode the 1st one, I discovered that my mom had given the book away! Oh well...the message isn't anything important, though it is a little funny. I'll post it later if I have time.
Me too! I actually considered sending Eion Colfer a letter written completely in Gnommish. I've decoded all of the secret messages in the books and found the one in the fifth book really weird. But it was referring to demons.

My favorite character is Foaly because he's so smart and funny. I also like Mulch Diggums because he can make lots of funny comments in almost any situation.

Old December 24th, 2006, 12:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchsmart View Post
I read awhile ago that they were gonna make a movie out of them but I haven't heard anything else since.
There was a movie idea and it was even posted on the Internet Movie Database. The year of production changed a couple of times because they kept holding off on it. Now it is no longer listed so I don't know if the idea for a movie will ever surface again. I hope it does because I'd love to see it.

Old February 11th, 2007, 4:45 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Fowl_2 View Post
There was a movie idea and it was even posted on the Internet Movie Database. The year of production changed a couple of times because they kept holding off on it. Now it is no longer listed so I don't know if the idea for a movie will ever surface again. I hope it does because I'd love to see it.
There will be a movie, but it might take a while before we get to see it. I found an interview with Eoin over at AFC, and this is what he had to say regarding the movie:

Quote:
7) The movie has slowly been coming together, and we have a few names associated with it, but is there anything new you could tell us? Any major changes to the plot? Any new/different characters? Any idea of how and when casting will begin?

I have been working intermittently on the screenplay for the past year with Jim Sheridan the Irish director. We have kept the heart of books one and two but I also wanted to do something cinematic and spectacular so we added a big exciting ending. No new characters but plenty of new one liners. I really love the story and we hope to go into production this Summer. No cast yet.
A big exciting ending and plenty of one liners . Sounds great!

Old February 12th, 2007, 9:43 pm
Third Year

Quote:
9) On a random note, if you could be any type of food, what would you be?

A cheescake... I look soft on the top but I am tough underneath.
Great interview!

Pointless Story Haiku of the Week!

Once upon a time,
there was an EVIL ROBOT
but it died: The End.
Old February 15th, 2007, 7:41 pm
Second Year

I Love Artemis Fowl! It's just a couple places down from HP on my list of favorite books. I was getting a little worried about the books after reading "The Opal Deception" (I didn't like it all that much, thought it was a little boring) but "The Lost Colony" was absolutely fantasic. i can't wait til the next one comes out...

Oh, and I hope they don't make a movie out of it; I think it would be too easy to ruin the story and characters.

BTW, my favorite characters are Juliet and Foaly... Juliet's awesome

and over our heads will float the Blue Bird, singing of beautiful and impossible things,
of things that are lovely and that never happen, of things that are not and that should be."
- Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying
Old February 15th, 2007, 8:37 pm
Second Year

Juliets my fave too.

*Iglybo*
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy