Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Broadchurch

Old April 9th, 2013, 12:06 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Broadchurch

Am I the only person who's totally addicted to this?

I find the script very uneven, but when it's good, it's fantastic and the cast is amazing.

My theories about whodunnit (after episode 6):

Spoiler: show
I think it's either Miller's husband or Miller herself:

1. The night Hardy came to dinner we got a curious amount of apparently extraneous backstory on Joe. But a good writer doesn't include extraneous material. We know he is originally from Wales - other characters who moved to Broadchurch from outside the area (Jack, Susan, Paul, even Hardy) have all been trying to escape a murky past, so is this true of Joe? We also know he is an ex-paramedic. Is this significant? Was he struck off for being naughty? Did the murder demand medical knowledge?

2. The only reason I can think of why Susan would give the skateboard to Tom is as a menacing message to one or both of his parents that she knows something incriminating about them.

3. What did Ellie's sister see on the night of the murder and why didn't Ellie pursue it?

I don't think it's Tom, Nige, Susan or the vicar, as they've been too obviously clued.

I suppose they may have tried the old apparently-clearing-him-at-an-early-stage-of-the-investigation-so-we-think-it's-not-him-but-it-is trick with Mark, but I hope not, as I like him.

I also think Becca, Chloe, Beth and Beth's mum are outside possibilities.

But I'm usually totally wrong with my predictions.

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:26 pm

Re: Broadchurch

Anyone? Anyone at all?

I'm now even more convinced it's Mr Miller - who else could Susan have mistaken for Nige? (unless it's the SOCO who fancies Miller, intending to frame her husband to get him out of the way )

Really relieved that Vince is still alive!

ETA Although, having thought about it, the scene a few weeks ago, where a worried Tom asked his (apparently totally unfazed father) what punishment you would get if you killed someone, doesn't totally fit with Joe being the killer. The implication of this scene was that Tom (a) killed Danny himself and was worried about what would happen to him (or, at the very least, he believed he had killed Danny, although he could have been mistaken) (b) knew or suspected that someone he knew and cared about was responsible and was worried about what would happen to them.

If Tom and Joe were in on the killing together (as some people on the web are suggesting), then surely he wouldn't have asked such a theoretical question? If Joe was the killer and Tom knew this, surely Joe would have been more unnerved by Tom's question and/or Tom would have dropped more hints that he knew? My suspicion is that either Tom wrongly believes he killed Danny and is worried on his own account unnecessarily (so the whole Tom-bashing-up-the-computer thing is just a red herring) or the real killer is someone close to Tom but not Joe - possibly Ellie. Alec also clearly doesn't trust Ellie at the moment, which is why he asked for the information on Danny's hard drive to be sent to his personal e-mail, not his police account, and why he told her to look for Tom's computer, knowing full well that it was already in police hands.

Last edited by Melaszka; April 16th, 2013 at 5:31 pm.
Old April 17th, 2013, 8:56 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I've been watching this too!

It's doing my head in - not least because I can't remember the names of all the characters.

Looking at what we know

He was killed (or at least assaulted) in the "hut" on the cliff (is that right? wasn't their blood found despite rigourous cleaning)
His body (alive or dead) was put in a boat (blood found on boat) which landed on the beach where the body was found

So...
1. WHy was Danny in the hut (not really a biggy)
2. why put the body in the boat and then onto the beach?

I agree with what you say about Tom - He is acting like either he did it, he thinks he did it, or someone he's close to did it (or he thinks someone he's close to did it)

I really wondered why Alec asked Ellie for Tom's computer when he already had it. WHat is he trying to bring to light by doing that? Is he just trying to see if Ellie knows about her son wrecking the computer (destroying evidence) and as such is complicit. Or is it a plot device to make it clear to the viewer that Ellie doesn't know about her sons potential involvement.

Quote:
1. The night Hardy came to dinner we got a curious amount of apparently extraneous backstory on Joe. But a good writer doesn't include extraneous material. We know he is originally from Wales - other characters who moved to Broadchurch from outside the area (Jack, Susan, Paul, even Hardy) have all been trying to escape a murky past, so is this true of Joe? We also know he is an ex-paramedic. Is this significant? Was he struck off for being naughty? Did the murder demand medical knowledge?
Extraneous backstory could be a red herring - or bad writing - or the vital clue! Didn't realise he was an ex-paramedic thought he still was one.

Before Monday's episode I was sure it was Nige - he was so keen to lynch the newsagent (David Bradley was superb) and he was looking generally shifty

SUsan is sure she saw NIge carrying the body from the boat to the beach. She must at least think she is telling the truth because when alone with Nige she re-iterated that she was sure it was him she saw. If she was lying to the police then obviously they would both know she was lying so why say this to him? So she must believe it was him. However she is an unreliable witness as in the episode where the dad was suspected, Susan said he hadn't done the plumbing (?) job in the hut but the records showed that he did.

I really hope it isn't Paul as a) he's Rory! b) vicars in dramas are nearly always up to no good and it's becoming a cliche

Incidently we are going on holiday to the caravan park which was the location used for the beach and Susan's caravan. We went there last year too - it's a fantastic beach!

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyWeasley View Post

I've been watching this too!
Yay!

Quote:
It's doing my head in - not least because I can't remember the names of all the characters.
I keep thinking of them as Dr Who, Sally, Garrow, Filch etc.

Quote:
So...
1. WHy was Danny in the hut (not really a biggy)
2. why put the body in the boat and then onto the beach?
Good questions. I missed the first two episodes, so I'm a bit ropey on the evidence of the actual killing. Wasn't there also a shot of Danny standing at the top of the cliff with red liquid (blood? tractor diesel?) on his hands? Was that before or after the assault in the hut?

I'm wondering if Tom assaulted him in the hut and now, as a result, thinks he killed him, but actually Danny escaped and was strangled by A.N. Other in the boat later the same night?

Quote:
Didn't realise he was an ex-paramedic thought he still was one.
Hasn't he given up work to be a house husband? That's why Ellie's so annoyed that he hasn't made any progress with the decorating - he's at home all day every day (but with a young son at home, he'd be rushed off his feet, but that's obviously not the reason he hasn't been getting on with the decorating, so what has he been doing instead?)

Quote:
However she is an unreliable witness as in the episode where the dad was suspected, Susan said he hadn't done the plumbing (?) job in the hut but the records showed that he did.
Aagh, another thing I missed in the early episodes. Could the records have been falsified? Because Mark could still be in the frame, although I hope not and I don't know what his motive would be.

Quote:
I really hope it isn't Paul as a) he's Rory! b) vicars in dramas are nearly always up to no good and it's becoming a cliche
Not forgetting (c) he's quite fit. No, I don't think it will be him - I think he's been too heavily clued to be anything other than a red herring.

ETA: Just read a really interesting theory that maybe Susan has got it wrong and that it's Joe who's her son, not Nige. She got confused because they looked alike. I like this idea (it would explain why Nige had no idea he'd been adopted - he hadn't!), but I'm not sure it holds water - Susan would have traced Nige using records with her son's new name in, not just photos, surely? Having said that, this is an alternative universe where Sea Brigade leaders don't have to undergo CRB checks, so maybe anything's possible.

Quote:
Incidently we are going on holiday to the caravan park which was the location used for the beach and Susan's caravan. We went there last year too - it's a fantastic beach!
How exciting! Some of the town scenes are filmed in Clevedon, which is really near me. You know I have this pet peeve about dramas hardly ever being set in the West Country and when they are the accents are rubbish? I'm really impressed with this - Andrew Buchan's (Mark's) accent is so good, I wrongly thought he was from the West of England and Joe Sims (Nige) is a native Bristolian.

Last edited by Melaszka; April 18th, 2013 at 12:58 am.
Old April 18th, 2013, 4:08 pm

Quote:
I keep thinking of them as Dr Who, Sally, Garrow, Filch etc
LOL Loving DTs true accent!

Quote:
Good questions. I missed the first two episodes, so I'm a bit ropey on the evidence of the actual killing. Wasn't there also a shot of Danny standing at the top of the cliff with red liquid (blood? tractor diesel?) on his hands? Was that before or after the assault in the hut?
Yeah there was a shot like that done in an arty way with no clue as to how it fits in.

Quote:
I'm wondering if Tom assaulted him in the hut and now, as a result, thinks he killed him, but actually Danny escaped and was strangled by A.N. Other in the boat later the same night?
Yeah that's where I'm headed - he had obviously snuck out to do something/meet someone and that could have nothing to do with his murder. Tom could be involved with this and think that he is somehow responsible - I watched that other drama "Mayday" which was very similar and in the the victims sister felt really guilty because the victim had texted her and she had ignored it. SO Tom might be doing something along those lines and perhaps also feeling guilty about their falling out. Perhaps Danny was getting into something illegal/immoral and argued with Tom about it including online which would explain why he'd want to destroy the evidence - if he knew that Danny was doing something with dangerous people and didn't tell anyone. To be really cliched bringing drugs in via a small boat maybe?? (that sounds lame even to me!)

Maybe he had fight with Tom in the hut then with blood on him went to the top of cliff and saw "the killer" up to no good on the beach so he was abducted then murdered.

Quote:
Having said that, this is an alternative universe where Sea Brigade leaders don't have to undergo CRB checks, so maybe anything's possible.
Quite!

West country seems to be seen as a place for comedies to be set

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

Old April 18th, 2013, 5:59 pm

My increasingly tinfoil theories for today:

The boys' extraordinary IT skills have been stressed many times.

1. Maybe Danny was being paid by somebody (probably either Steve the "psychic" or Olly the ambitious wannabe investigative journalist - who is Danny's cousin, so fits Steve's description of the killer being "very close" to him, and obviously knew all about the boat) to hack into someone's e-mail account to find material they could use professionally and that's why Danny had 500? Maybe Ellie was one of the people whose account Danny had compromised, which is why he fell out with Tom (and possibly why Hardy doesn't trust the police e-mail accounts - he somehow knows they've been compromised)? The killer would either be the person paying him or the person whose e-mail was targeted.

2. Maybe the boys had, through their computer activities, found out something dark about the past of a Broadchurch resident, e.g. that they were previously responsible for someone's death? When Tom asked his dad how long a sentence you'd get for killing someone, maybe he's not thinking about Danny's murder, at all? Maybe he's confused as to why someone he knows has killed before is already back on the streets?

It could possibly be Dean (if he'd killed as a child, he'd be released earlier than an adult who'd killed, and he'd have been given a new identity, which would explain why he's under the police's radar), could possibly be Joe (maybe he was negligent as a paramedic, although I don't think Tom would have asked him the question, if it was him he was thinking of)

Also, I've read in several interviews that only 4 people on set knew the killer's identity during filming and that the actor playing the killer him/herself was only told just before the final scenes were shot. If I were a director, I'd definitely want the actor playing the killer to know the whole way through the series, so he/she could authentically build a character, so I'm wondering if there's a special reason why the director didn't trust the actor with this information before then, e.g. it was a child actor, who'd be more likely to blab to other cast members?

But I'm probably onto McGonagall Is A Death Eater territory by this stage!

Old April 18th, 2013, 11:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
The boys' extraordinary IT skills have been stressed many times.

1. Maybe Danny was being paid by somebody (probably either Steve the "psychic" or Olly the ambitious wannabe investigative journalist - who is Danny's cousin, so fits Steve's description of the killer being "very close" to him, and obviously knew all about the boat) to hack into someone's e-mail account to find material they could use professionally and that's why Danny had 500? Maybe Ellie was one of the people whose account Danny had compromised, which is why he fell out with Tom (and possibly why Hardy doesn't trust the police e-mail accounts - he somehow knows they've been compromised)? The killer would either be the person paying him or the person whose e-mail was targeted.
I like this idea.

Quote:
2. Maybe the boys had, through their computer activities, found out something dark about the past of a Broadchurch resident, e.g. that they were previously responsible for someone's death? When Tom asked his dad how long a sentence you'd get for killing someone, maybe he's not thinking about Danny's murder, at all? Maybe he's confused as to why someone he knows has killed before is already back on the streets?
And this one. And perhaps would explain why Tom was desperate to destroy the evidence if he thought the killer might come after him.

Quote:
It could possibly be Dean (if he'd killed as a child, he'd be released earlier than an adult who'd killed, and he'd have been given a new identity, which would explain why he's under the police's radar), could possibly be Joe (maybe he was negligent as a paramedic, although I don't think Tom would have asked him the question, if it was him he was thinking of)
I can't remember who Dean is

Quote:
Also, I've read in several interviews that only 4 people on set knew the killer's identity during filming and that the actor playing the killer him/herself was only told just before the final scenes were shot. If I were a director, I'd definitely want the actor playing the killer to know the whole way through the series, so he/she could authentically build a character, so I'm wondering if there's a special reason why the director didn't trust the actor with this information before then, e.g. it was a child actor, who'd be more likely to blab to other cast members?
I think they do that quite often with these sorts of mystery things - sometimes even filming more than one outcome. I'm with you though. To build the character you have to know if you are the killler!

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned again - in an early episode someone (Filch or Rory I think) said he saw Danny having an argument with the postman. There was even a clip of Danny and postie aruing. When questioned the postman denied it. That hasn't been explained.

Quote:
I find the more I think about these things the more I get into "McGonagall Is a Death Eater" territory

Joe Miller is the bookies favourite!

Old April 19th, 2013, 1:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyWeasley View Post
I can't remember who Dean is
Chloe's boyfriend (unless I've got the name wrong)

Quote:
One other thing that hasn't been mentioned again - in an early episode someone (Filch or Rory I think) said he saw Danny having an argument with the postman. There was even a clip of Danny and postie aruing. When questioned the postman denied it. That hasn't been explained.
I'm going to have to watch the early episodes now, so I can really analyse the clues. I can only guess that the "postman" Danny argued with wasn't a real postman, but either someone disguised as a postman or someone with a similar uniform whom Jack mistook for a postman (Steve the psychic-slash-telephone engineer, perhaps?). Or the real postman is somehow involved with The Big Plot, whatever it is.

Quote:
Joe Miller is the bookies favourite!
Yes, I know. I was convinced it was him in about week 4 or 5, until I saw that, then went off the idea because I wanted to be different. Trouble is, the answer to the mystery that most people come up with often IS the right one. Same thing happened with HP - after HBP, I was convinced that the big reveal in DH would be that Snape and Lily had been friends, but after learning that lots of other people thought that, too, I convinced myself that it couldn't be that simple and that was the point when I started inventing tinfoil.

Quote:
I find the more I think about these things the more I get into "McGonagall Is a Death Eater" territory
Yes, so do I.

Old April 20th, 2013, 5:08 pm

It also occurs to me that Becca Fisher (some relation to Donald, perhaps ) must still be in the frame. She provided Mark with an alibi, but I think there were still a few hours unaccounted for, which could mean she was free to be involved in the death. And she's been very central but not yet come under serious suspicion or been used as a red herring. Plus she's had that odd flirty thing going on with Hardy, where she took him to hospital, pretended to be his wife, flirted with him madly and then turned him down when he came onto her. Also, why did he come onto her? - dramatically, I mean. Why did the audience need to see that? Was it just conveying how isolated and lonely it is being Hardy or is there something else going on here?

Old April 21st, 2013, 5:08 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:

Glad I'm not alone here! I change my view every week! who haven't they suspected yet?

Old April 21st, 2013, 11:32 pm

Today I'm absolutely convinced it's Steve - Hardy distrusts the police e-mail system, as he's asked for important stuff to be sent to his personal account, not his police account, and Steve could easily have set up a phone tap when he was installing the phone lines to the inquiry room. I suspect that phone tapping and/or e-mail hacking is the source of his "psychic" knowledge (NB he was wrong about Hardy having lost the pendant, which suggests he's not a real psychic). He has been very eager to tell the family and police that the killer is someone close to the boy (to throw suspicion off mere acquaintances, such as himself?) and in his telephone engineer uniform, he could easily have been mistaken for a postman. But, then again, so could Joe in his paramedic uniform.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:35 am

I'm hedging my bets. They are all involved.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 3:43 pm
Fourth Year

nothing like cranking up the intrigue:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...e-8582836.html

I still can't make my mind up - but Joe is a very strong contender!

Old April 22nd, 2013, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle View Post
nothing like cranking up the intrigue:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...e-8582836.html

I still can't make my mind up - but Joe is a very strong contender!
Ooh! very intriguing.

This article makes me wonder now if the real killer is going to be caught, or whether it's going to be a bit like the end of Basic Instinct, where someone else takes the rap and then in the closing moments you get an unsettling visual clue that the real murderer has escaped scot free.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 7:42 pm

Well? What did we all think of last night's grand finale?

Old April 27th, 2013, 4:30 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Final thoughts:

It was Joe. Who'd have thought? Most everyone, I'm sure.

I wished there was one last little twist in the end. Joe confessing, but in real he's covering up for someone else. That maybe it was really Tom and Joe took the blame. Just like Alec did for his wife.

In the first episode when the police questioned Tom and Joe touched him in a weird way, my first reaction was that Joe is the killer, Tom found out and Joe tried to signal "Keep your mouth shut or else..." I thought that Tom looked intimidated. But what if it was the other way round. Tom really killed Danny. Joe found out and he was just trying to protect his son.

The most tragic moment was of course, when Beth asked Ellie how she never noticed anything. It was happening right in front of her eyes. It was a blow in her face, after she accused Susan to be a bad mother for not noticing that something was wrong in her family. I feel so sorry for her.

The End of the Dream.
Old April 29th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
Final thoughts:

It was Joe. Who'd have thought? Most everyone, I'm sure.

I wished there was one last little twist in the end.
I know what you mean. That was my thought, at first, too - this is all too predictable; I want it to be a more exciting puzzle. But then I read a lot of articles, like this one, where people suggest that that was the whole point - that, in RL, murder often is banal and unexciting and that if there had been a really Agatha Christie twisty ending, it might have detracted from the show's focus on the human impact of murder and how it scars a whole community. Viewed from that angle, it made a lot more sense to me. Now I'm actively hoping that the second series isn't all about Who REALLY Killed Danny Latimer?

Quote:
Joe confessing, but in real he's covering up for someone else. That maybe it was really Tom and Joe took the blame. Just like Alec did for his wife.
That would be a neat parallel.

Quote:
In the first episode when the police questioned Tom and Joe touched him in a weird way, my first reaction was that Joe is the killer, Tom found out and Joe tried to signal "Keep your mouth shut or else..." I thought that Tom looked intimidated. But what if it was the other way round. Tom really killed Danny. Joe found out and he was just trying to protect his son.
I still think, though, that the scene where Tom asked his Dad what would happen if you got convicted of murder suggests that the two of them weren't in on it together. It did fit, however, with Tom being scared that his hate-fuelled e-mails to Danny might wrongly incriminate him.

Quote:
The most tragic moment was of course, when Beth asked Ellie how she never noticed anything. It was happening right in front of her eyes. It was a blow in her face, after she accused Susan to be a bad mother for not noticing that something was wrong in her family. I feel so sorry for her.
And she played it magnificently.

Really looking forward to the second series, although there have been hints that it won't be a murder mystery.

Old May 1st, 2013, 1:46 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:

I know what you mean. That was my thought, at first, too - this is all too predictable; I want it to be a more exciting puzzle. But then I read a lot of articles, like this one, where people suggest that that was the whole point - that, in RL, murder often is banal and unexciting and that if there had been a really Agatha Christie twisty ending, it might have detracted from the show's focus on the human impact of murder and how it scars a whole community. Viewed from that angle, it made a lot more sense to me. Now I'm actively hoping that the second series isn't all about Who REALLY Killed Danny Latimer?

Yes, I think that was the morale of the story. People fast point their fingers at people who look suspicious and maybe did something bad in their past (who can blame them). But with all this blaming they fail to acknowledge that the murderer could be one of them. Beth was the only one who went that far to accuse her own husband.

Joe, played his part well. He went to the Latimer's and comforted them. He went with the mob to harrass Jack. Fully aware that it should be him in his place. A man who can keep a straight face in this situations, surely can fool his own son. He was able to fool his detective wife for months.

I still want to know how Psychic Guy knew. Yes, in 90 % of the time the culprit is someone the victim knew well. But that boat thing irks me.

Did you watch the exclusive scene?

I still don't know why Alec refuses to tell Karen the truth, when he told Olly and Maggie who are "press" as well.

Quote:
And she played it magnificently.
Yes, most all of them did.
[/quote]

The End of the Dream.
Old January 5th, 2015, 11:47 pm

So what do we think of series 2, then?

I thought the courtroom scene was really compelling, even though the twist was obvious a mile off.

Thereafter, it all got a little bit messy, IMO - too many potential plot threads, all of them highly implausible and melodramatic. IMO, this show works best when it's rooted in the real emotions of everyday people whose lives have been blighted by an extraordinary event. I don't want it to become plot-driven.

But I have high hopes of Charlotte Rampling and Marianne Jean-Baptiste.

Old February 3rd, 2015, 5:33 pm
Third Year

Second series has been very hit and miss for me. I really like that they're investigating the Sandbrook crime, but it seems to be a bit unofficial, and I'm not quite sure how Ellie (now a traffic cop) has been allowed to get away with just skipping work to go and work on a completely separate case in a different area of the country - I'm no expert, but I didn't think the British police system worked like that!

I'm not sure what to think about it, part of me thinks that maybe the dad did it, but Claire is definitely hiding something...

The courtroom scenes have been overly dramatic and not really particularly accurate, again, from my limited knowledge of the British legal system, I didn't think the prosecution could just spring a 'surprise witness' without the defence knowing.

This week and last week's episode have definitely set up Danny Latimer's Dad as the one the defence are going to say did it. And now Tom Miller wants to testify, he's definitely going to say about him and Danny's Dad meeting up. He was very unwise.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television