Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Big Bang Theory

Old October 8th, 2010, 7:35 pm
Rocket Scientist

Re: Big Bang Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
I haven't seen the original pilot--though it might be interesting to check out. As a new fan of the show who has only seen bits of Season 3 and the first handful of Season 4 episodes, I confess I'm confused. Parsons is really good at what they're asking him to do, but the series seems to just feature him and everyone else recedes into the background. The situations he creates are quite funny, but to me he seems like the least likeable of the four coworkers/friends. And double-dosing with Amy will get quite old quite quickly (although it was interesting that they found an actress who's a good imitator of a female "Shelly.")
yea they've only really been focusing on sheldon more frequently. The original focus was mostly leonard but all in all more balanced. There are a few episodes the focus on raj and howard, but they are usually an entity, and they did a lot with leonard and penny in season 2 and early season 3. Its just recently that sheldon has really taken over and i think thats just the plot focus at the moment, but he is the most funny of the 5.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2010, 7:54 pm
Curse Breaker

I can't argue with his being funny, but an entire series centered around him? He's a charaacter who's so smug and superior in his awkwardness that you laugh at and not with him. He's mostly an irritant.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old October 8th, 2010, 8:06 pm
Snape Lover

I agree with Spacecadet. It's only recently that the plots have been so focused on him. It was more about Leonard before with a few episodes with Raj and Howard. Sheldon is kinda what stirs up all the plots though. Leonard would be boring without him. And I find Howard to be the most irritating, personally.

Parsons won that award though, so maybe that's why they're focusing on him. I think Blossom (Amy?) is rather annoying as well. I hope that is over pretty quickly. I don't think she's that good an actress (or maybe she hasn't really got a handle on the character), she plays it so flat.

Old October 8th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
I agree with Spacecadet. It's only recently that the plots have been so focused on him. It was more about Leonard before with a few episodes with Raj and Howard. Sheldon is kinda what stirs up all the plots though. Leonard would be boring without him. And I find Howard to be the most irritating, personally.

Parsons won that award though, so maybe that's why they're focusing on him. I think Blossom (Amy?) is rather annoying as well. I hope that is over pretty quickly. I don't think she's that good an actress (or maybe she hasn't really got a handle on the character), she plays it so flat.

I agree howard is probably the most annoying, And I hate the actress that plays amy hate hate hate her she's dull and bland. Her character was funny the first time she appeared but now its just more of the same and no variety so i hope she doesnt stay on as a regular just shows up from time to time. And yes sheldon is definitely the stirrer, usually its something leonard is doing or leonard and howard and raj and sheldon comes in and changes the mood so to speak. Sheldon is the awkward of the awkward rather than the other three who are just awkward.

Old October 13th, 2010, 11:26 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
I think Blossom (Amy?) is rather annoying as well. I hope that is over pretty quickly. I don't think she's that good an actress (or maybe she hasn't really got a handle on the character), she plays it so flat.
I think she's supposed to be flat - that's kind of the point, the character has no personality. I think it will settle out soon and not be all about them, though she may continue as a recurring character. Although if they start to develop the relationship a little, that could be great. Can you imagine them trying to kiss?

Old October 14th, 2010, 12:03 am
Snape Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherfish81 View Post
I think she's supposed to be flat - that's kind of the point, the character has no personality. I think it will settle out soon and not be all about them, though she may continue as a recurring character. Although if they start to develop the relationship a little, that could be great. Can you imagine them trying to kiss?
I don't know. I thought she was just supposed to be like Sheldon. He's the opposite of flat. Maybe it's just in the delivery. She has strong opinions and quirky habits and mildly funny dialogue, but it just comes across as blah while Sheldon is the funniest on the show. I dunno, maybe you're right and she's supposed to be a zombie I can't imagine how they'd get to a kiss in the plot. Maybe a dare with another Star Trek collectible as the bait?

Old November 7th, 2010, 12:12 am
Third Year

If 'ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts, we'd have a Merry Christmas.

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Old November 8th, 2010, 6:21 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Arrow View Post

that was awesome!

Old November 8th, 2010, 6:25 pm
First Year

Omg, we LOVE this show. My wife's mom told us to watch, watch, watch... And we never did. Our taste doesn't usually match her taste. But finally she's like "WAAAAAAAATCH IT" so we did. And it's just awesome. I love a show where I can actually, ya know, get their jokes and such!

Old November 8th, 2010, 6:49 pm
Curse Breaker

It can be quite entertaining. I'm a little saddened that the Sheldon romance is running parallel to Howard's relationship with his coworker from Season 1 (though they never had the "tie on the door" moment for Sheldon).

Old November 9th, 2010, 2:35 am
I want to believe

I've been watching this show on and off, and have found it amusing. I usually don't go in for sitcoms, but the fact that it's about a bunch of science geeks is more up my ally. Also some of the lines are pretty clever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Arrow View Post
Having Neil DeGrasse Tyson on the show apologizing for Pluto's demotion made me smile.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old November 17th, 2010, 4:11 pm
Third Year

I'm pondering on buying my accident-prone house-mate a pack of adhesive ducks for Christmas!

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:45 pm
Curse Breaker

I forgot to record this week's episode, but I've inhaled the first two seasons (vanity cards and all) thanks to Netflix. There must have been a seachange at the beginning of Season 3 because almost all the episodes of Season 4 refer to Leonard dating Penny for an entire year and in the first two seasons they have one actual date.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 2:44 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
I forgot to record this week's episode, but I've inhaled the first two seasons (vanity cards and all) thanks to Netflix. There must have been a seachange at the beginning of Season 3 because almost all the episodes of Season 4 refer to Leonard dating Penny for an entire year and in the first two seasons they have one actual date.
I thought they were referring to Leonard chasing after Penny for a year, rather than actually getting anywhere with her.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 3:03 pm
Curse Breaker

No, not even in delusional nerd-speak does that qualify as dating. Besides, if that were true, it'd be three and a half years, not a year. Besides, the sleepover episode where Sheldon's mirror was trying to socialize indicated that Penny and Leonard had "broken up," indicating a significant dating period. Must have happened in the third season.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 3:14 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
No, not even in delusional nerd-speak does that qualify as dating. Besides, if that were true, it'd be three and a half years, not a year. Besides, the sleepover episode where Sheldon's mirror was trying to socialize indicated that Penny and Leonard had "broken up," indicating a significant dating period. Must have happened in the third season.
At the end of season 1 (I'm thinking the season covered events spanning aproximately a year) Leonard and Penny finally go on a date, which is what I'm assuming the 'year' you're referring to is about. In season 3 they are officially a couple but it's not even close to being a year when they broke up.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 5:33 pm
Curse Breaker

That's not possible. Not even close. Yes, the first 18 episodes probably spanned a year, but a single date and a single kiss does not make a year of dating. If you recall Sheldon's first sit-down dinner with his...er, "friend who is a girl" the one that Penny chaperoned, he indicated in his calculations that there was an entire year where Penny and Leonard were in a monogamous relationship (and it have started after the end of Sheldon's stupid Arctic expedition). If the breakup happened in the middle of Season 3, then they might be including some of the earlier part of the relationship, but as I said Sheldon's Penny Promiscuity Equation was predicated on what he said was a year of monogamy with Leonard.

There are also numerous references to the same time period in other episodes (mostly Sheldon griping about her still hanging around even though she and Leonard broke up, but also that Truth or Dare sleepover question).

Last edited by jordmundt6; November 22nd, 2010 at 5:51 pm.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 6:17 pm
Registered Animagus

Well if and when I can be bothered to re-watch episodes I'll keep an ear out for it. I'm just guessing based on the original information you gave and trying to offer a possible explanation.

Old January 15th, 2011, 10:20 pm
First Year

Sheldon Cooper has to be the greatest character that ever lived. I have all three seasons. SOFT KITTY!

Old January 17th, 2011, 7:31 am
Sixth Year

congrads to jim parsons for his golden globe tonight.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television