Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

A Game of Thrones

Old December 6th, 2010, 7:51 am
MODLY CREW

Re: A Game of Thrones

I watched it earlier this morning and I can barely contain my glee! Sean Bean as Ned will be a pleasure to watch, of course, but there are sooooo many other talented actors involved down to the smallest roles that I can't wait for April. And the setting! It's going to be such a feast for the eyes!

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:56 pm
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I'm increasingly excited for this.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old December 6th, 2010, 11:17 pm
Banned

Thanks for the featurette, Lord Godric, it's awesome. Sean Bean is just perfect. I'd have imagined Cersei much more beautiful, but Jaime is just right. I'll have to nitpick on Jon Snow, I saw him more like this:

Jon Snow:    

or like this:
Jon Snow:    

He's not good-looking enough in the series. I know GRRM never said he was good-looking, but I always thought him to be so.

Sansa and Arya are great, though, as is Robert Baratheon.

As to GRRM himself, apart from having put on even more weight, and more grey in his beard and hair, he hasn't changed all that much since I last saw him in the flesh over 20 years ago.

Is it April soon?

Last edited by FleurduJardin; December 6th, 2010 at 11:22 pm.
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:34 pm
Squee-worthy

I really don't mind Jon the way he is portrayed in the show. He has that Stark look to him still. The only two characters I didn't recognize instantly were Robb and Renly. They aged Robb up (along with Dany, Gendry and a few others) and Renly looks much younger than I imagined, but I'm not bothered by the way they look at all.

If there was one character's appearance I didn't agree with it was Illyrio. Perhaps because I was excited to have Ian McNeice playing him, and then that didn't work out.

Other than Illyrio though, I'm very impressed with the casting decisions. Now lets just hope they can all act the parts as well as look them.

Old December 7th, 2010, 12:31 am
Banned

Aw shucks, I missed Robb and Renly somehow. But my computer is acting up, the videoclip repeatedly stayed on one picture for several minutes while the spoken commentary was going on, I must have missed a few pictures. I did see and like Dany and Vyserys, however.

When he's done with the work he's on now, I'll have to use my husband's computer, which is newer and faster than mine. Will report on that later.

Old December 7th, 2010, 12:47 am
Squee-worthy

Robb and Renly were both shown for brief clips, especially Renly. Here is Renly, next to the Hound. And here is Robb, and again. Both look fantastic, just not exactly how I imagined them, hence why I missed them.

Old December 7th, 2010, 7:26 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
Robb and Renly were both shown for brief clips, especially Renly. Here is Renly, next to the Hound. And here is Robb, and again. Both look fantastic, just not exactly how I imagined them, hence why I missed them.
I think my problem with Robb is that he looks too much like Jon and his father. The point in the books was that all Stark children except for Arya have the Tully hair. Only Arya and Jon Snow look like Starks and resemble their father.

Old December 7th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Squee-worthy

Well a fansite that had the pictures up said that Robb did indeed have the auburn hair. I don't see it in those pictures, but either way I'm not bothered. Trying to find the perfect actor is more important that if they have brown or auburn hair.

Old December 7th, 2010, 3:27 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Well a fansite that had the pictures up said that Robb did indeed have the auburn hair. I don't see it in those pictures, but either way I'm not bothered. Trying to find the perfect actor is more important that if they have brown or auburn hair.

I agree. I especially like the second picture of Robb. He looks like the proper combination of young and green and honorable and ready for battle. A difficult feat to pull off. From pictures alone I would say that he looks like a better cast for his part than Kit does for Jon Snow.

Old January 7th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Zonko's Employee

I'm really liking that EW is covering the Game of Thrones. Judging from the comments section there is a small but loyal following. I'm hoping that the TV show will get more exposure for the series.

Anyway they just ran an article saying that that critics got to see a fifteen minute preview. Reviews were good for the most part except the actor playing Jaime wasn't getting alot of love. According to the article Jaime throwing Bran has been taped and most likely will be one of the first episodes we see. It was that scene in the books that really made me hate Jaime, no matter what kindnesses he performs later on. It doesn't bode well that the actor isn't well recieved. Other interesting notes from the article:

Dire wolves don't look any bigger than regular wolves
Musical score doesn't appear to be ready as they are using music from other films during the preview.

You can read the whole article here.

Old January 7th, 2011, 5:05 pm
Squee-worthy

I follow a certain website that has been reporting lately the number of "don't miss" lists that A Game of Thrones is already on. It certainly seems like there are a lot of people interested in the show, even those who aren't interested in the books.

As for the books it does seem like the fans are growing (although there were plenty before), as just on January 2 the paperback version of the book made it on the New York Times bestseller's list.

Old January 7th, 2011, 6:04 pm
Zonko's Employee

The fantasy genre doesn't get alot of love on TV. I've hear people mention (who haven't read the books of course ) that they are expecting a cross between The Tudors and the Legend of the Seeker. Oh how far from the truth could they get!?

I didn't realize that the paperback was back on the NYT Bestsellers. Looks like promo from the TV/Web spots are doing a good job. People want to see what it's all about. IMHO, A Game of Thrones is the best of the series thus far or maybe I'm just biased.

Old January 7th, 2011, 6:32 pm
Squee-worthy

Fantasy doesn't get a lot of love, you're right. But the books have always been Fantasy-lite and I imagine the show will also be that way. From what I have seen it does seem to be playing up the political intrigue aspect (that's what the books are mostly about anyway) in an attempt to draw people in who usually would watch a show like the Tudors. Martin himself said something like too much magic or fantasy can ruin a series. So while it certainly is fantasy, I don't think they are looking to label it "fantasy" and stick it next to Legend of the Seeker or Hercules. It really will be unique and I think they realize that and will capitalize on it.

ETA: this seems to be a good analysis of the 15 minute trailer that HBO unveiled last night. Looks like another satisfied critic.

ETA2: looks like we have an airing date:

Just happens to be exactly 100 days from today.

ETA3: Some new amazing official pictures. All the characters shown really do look fantastic. Any reservations I had about Robb, Job or Catelyn's looks are slowly disappearing and I haven't even seen them act yet. I love Bran and Arya too (although I've always liked the way they looked).

Last edited by Lord Godric; January 9th, 2011 at 12:54 am. Reason: pictures in this thread hate me and never show up
Old January 11th, 2011, 12:03 am
Zonko's Employee

Look at them with the direwolf pups! Thanks for those pics, LG. Dany's appearance isn't growing on me but perhaps her acting will make me forget. Or even a better hairstyle for that wig!

Air date of April 17,

Old January 17th, 2011, 3:23 am
Squee-worthy

Wow. Another teaser has been released by HBO and I think it is my favorite yet. So symbolic and amazing. Captures the essence of the series so well.

We also get an amazing look at the coveted throne.

Last edited by Lord Godric; January 17th, 2011 at 6:26 am.
Old January 17th, 2011, 8:00 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Wow. Another teaser has been released by HBO and I think it is my favorite yet. So symbolic and amazing. Captures the essence of the series so well.

We also get an amazing look at the coveted throne.
I'm so stoked about this! They got the throne just right. It's exactly like I imagined it.

Old January 17th, 2011, 11:47 pm
Third Year

This forum is, perhaps, the worst place (you know what I mean ) to ask this question, but...

Do you think I should read the books first? Or watch the series and then the books? It's not a matter of whether I'll read it or not, but a matter of which goes first.

Old January 18th, 2011, 12:10 am
Squee-worthy

If you want the true depth of Martin's books, then yes read the books first. And I think no matter how good the show is, reading the books first will allow you to better understand what is happening on the screen. Also the book is always better than the movie/show so why not start with the best?

Old January 18th, 2011, 11:15 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyesbo View Post
This forum is, perhaps, the worst place (you know what I mean ) to ask this question, but...

Do you think I should read the books first? Or watch the series and then the books? It's not a matter of whether I'll read it or not, but a matter of which goes first.
You should definitely read the books first. I love them, they're complex and so rich in detail. And it can only help you to understand the series better, as TV shows tend to cut minor plots and overemphasise others.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 6:40 am
Banned

Quote:
If you want the true depth of Martin's books, then yes read the books first. And I think no matter how good the show is, reading the books first will allow you to better understand what is happening on the screen. Also the book is always better than the movie/show so why not start with the best?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
You should definitely read the books first. I love them, they're complex and so rich in detail. And it can only help you to understand the series better, as TV shows tend to cut minor plots and overemphasise others.
Agree one hundred percent.

By all means, read the books first. You have time to read at least a couple of them before the show starts airing. You definitely have time to read Game of Thrones.

Like Lord Godric says, no matter how good the show is, it's better to know beforehand who's who and who did what to whom when. Especially in a story as intricate as this one, you'd be lost if you didn't know at least who the main characters are before you watch the series.

Rarely are adaptations, be it to the big screen or the small, as good as the book(s) they are based on. I know of very few exceptions to that rule. We'll see if it holds true for this one.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television