Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Project Runway - All Stars

Old February 25th, 2012, 6:20 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Re: Project Runway - All Stars

I loved Mondos dress and am glad he won. I really liked the back-- don't know what Isaac was talking about when he didn't like the back.

I thought Michaels dress looked sooo similar to the black one he made inspired by the Staute of Liberty, the challenge right before they send them to make a collection (and then his collection didn't make it to the finals). The back was exactly the same (though it fit properly the first time), same slit, nearly same draping. Only difference was this went to one shoulder instead of around the neck and it had a hideous Christmas bow on it! Austin's also totally resembled the Grammy dress he made for Nancy ODell (though that one was actually well made, unlike this one). I felt like I've also seen that exact dress from Kenley before, too, on her previous season.

I agree with HMN that Jerrels was much better without that green part over the top. Milas was weird but neat and well made, so I thought she should've stayed over Jerrel.

The one part that made me laugh so hard was when Mila said how horrible the colors ofAustin's flag were (or something to that effect--like I feel bad for him with all those colors), but the moment I saw that flag I thought it looked exactly like the hideous dress she made on the design your own fabric challenge! That flag was a twin! I wish I could find all these photos and link them here. Hopefully you guys know what I'm talking about.

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I love how Mondo can make a long sleeved dress look sexy as anything.
Agreed, thought I like the solid black on this dress better than the white and black polka dot of his slinky dress at the end of his season. I really liked it and thought it was a cool look but, for me, the print was too loud. I appreciated his daring, though.

Quote:
I thought his original front draping was very pretty. But then he went and wrecked it with that hideous bow. I miss Nina's taste level comment for this get up.
I thought it was too low in the back. It was a beautiful dress but the blue bow was too much and this dress was just a rehashing of his black statue of liberty dress in white. And with a bow.

Quote:
And surprisingly they totally called out Kenley for doing the same design over and over again, but praised her anyway. I think Kenley is funny. I remember being way annoyed with her interactions with Tim, but this time around I just find her amusing.
I'm on the fence with Kenley. She's more mellow this season without the contentious relationship she had with Tim but I still find her annoyingly arrogant "The designers must be so frustrated by my perfect construction skills" Get over yourself, Kenley.

I do appreciate that she and Mila stick to their aesthetic but at the same time I find both of them to get boring after about the third look. Then it becomes the same thing over and over and over. I'm surprised it took the judges this long to rap Kenley's knuckles for doing the same thing over and over. It's almost the end!

I was disappointed by the "it's my way or the highway" attitude Mila took. I understand that she was admonished for straying from her style in the previous challenge but at the same time, on a show like Project Runway you have to stretch yourself beyond your comfort zone, push your own boundaries. Nothing about Papua New Guinea says perfect tailoring or stark color blocking to me. I think Jerrell should have taken Papua NG and Mila should have taken India. Jerrell's approach to Papua NG would have been more interesting and India, to me, would be more conducive to Mila's color-blocking style, I think. The red half of her dress reminded me of a modern interpretation of a sari and Jerrell's India dress was a costume. I did agree with Isaak that Mila's dress smacked of communism rather than the freedom of a small tropical country with a strong indigenous population. I'd say China rather than Russia though, with that yellow stripe.

Quote:
I missed "After the Runway" but I think I'll try to catch it online. There is so little drama on the actual show, that the reunion must be fun to watch.
There was little drama on the after the runway show, too. The biggest drama was Kara trying to decide if she agreed with the judges' decision to send Mila home over Jerrell I'm not a huge fan of Kara's designs but as a person she's charming

Old February 25th, 2012, 11:41 pm
Rocket Scientist

Jerrell's was too costumy

No idea what kenley was thinking so tacky! and how did she not know she designs like that every time? Its like carbon copies with different patterns.

When i first saw mondo's i wasnt sure why that was Jamaican but when the model turned around i was like oh wow thats awesome!

Michael's looked way better in the drawing than in execution, the bow was terrible and i wish he would have taken the blue velvet and used it on the trim like he had originally planned.

Mila's look seemed like she forgot to hem half the dress

I actually liked austin's but im not sure if it fits the culture or not as i know nothing about it.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie

Last edited by Spacecadet; February 25th, 2012 at 11:44 pm.
Old February 27th, 2012, 4:26 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
I actually liked austin's but im not sure if it fits the culture or not as i know nothing about it.
How many people ran to Google to look up the Seychelles after that episode?

I really wished they had cash prizes for winners each round, and that they gave them more time. I really want to see crazy challenges and amazing new designs coming out of them.

Old February 27th, 2012, 7:26 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
I really want to see crazy challenges and amazing new designs coming out of them.
I agree the challenges with the exception of maybe two, the on traditional materials, and the clothes off your back street style challenge, there really hasnt been any over the top hard crazy challenges yet. and there havent been any group challenges either i dont think... but im not sure i miss the group challenges.

Old February 27th, 2012, 8:29 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
there havent been any group challenges either i dont think... but im not sure i miss the group challenges.
I think the producers were taking the criticisim of the last season into account in All Stars; the main criticism being "why were there so many dang group challenges?" It never felt like the designers were being juged on their own work, it was always in realtion to how well or terribly they got along with their group.

All Stars is the opposite: no group challenges.

I, personally, don't miss them. They're drama monsters to me and I'd rather see the designers get two day challenges than make them do even one group challenge. Making a garment from initial design to completed construction in one day plus "runway prep" time the next day is incredibly challenging. I have a hard time making a jersey dress in a weekend with a store-bought pattern already cut out, the fabric already purchased and with an assistant. But then again, that's why I'm not on project runway. Among other reasons. lol

Old March 3rd, 2012, 9:25 pm

Well, I knew Jerrell was going to be sent home when he had so many interviews during the episode.

I, personally liked Kenley's more than Austin's - but I did like Austin's a lot. If it hadn't connected with her head the way it did it wouldn't have been nearly so good.

And what was up with the random bit about his mom's house going into foreclosure. Is that so we root for him to win the whole thing? There hasn't been any personal stuff shown so far, and they're adding it in now?

I'm telling you - cash prizes - that would have beefed up the excitement factor.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:59 pm

Quote:

And what was up with the random bit about his mom's house going into foreclosure. Is that so we root for him to win the whole thing? There hasn't been any personal stuff shown so far, and they're adding it in now?
They used to do that on one of the recent seasons. It got to be when I saw a contestant talking to his family I knew he was being sent home on that episode. I'm not sure why they showed Austin here. Either to make us root for him or fool us into thinking he was leaving?

I preferred Kenleys this week, but I'm glad to see Jerrel finally auf'ed (can I still call it auf'ed without Heidi?). And every time i watch the opening credits, I still miss Rami.

Old March 4th, 2012, 12:24 am
Rocket Scientist

I agree i think kenley should have won this one, which is something i never thought i would ever say! This is the first thing she's done that i really really liked. I did like austin's as well.

HMN you are right cash prizes would really help up the anti on this show.

Im not surprised jerellel went home i think michael might be close behind.

I didnt really like mondo's look this time, it was very madonna.

Old March 4th, 2012, 5:05 am
Seventh Year

Am I the only one who thought Austin's dress was a cop out? It was interesting but the lights weren't incorporated into the dress, they were draped around the top. He could have done that in the twenty minutes before the show where as Kenley spent hours making her neon plaid monstrosity (and I use monstrosity in the best of senses, I thought she should have won), Mondo sewed lights into his dress, Jerrell sewed lights into his dress, Michael... well... I can't remember.

I thought Kenley's look was the strongest this week by far and I haven't been her biggest fan this season. That plaid with that hugely voluminous coat was, dare I say, genius.

I was disappointed with Mondo's look, particularly with how those boob-cone terminated at the top. They didn't join or taper or anything, they just ended. That needed resolving. I'm glad he wasn't auf'ed tho, he's my favorite.

I liked the shape of Jerrell's skirt (the blue one, not the black tube skirt) but I didn't like the fiber optics in the rest of the dress. I thought his would have looked really sharp if he had just done the glow fringe under that skirt but c'est la vie, he's the designer, I'm not.

And I still can't recall Michael's dress. That's not a good sign.

Old March 8th, 2012, 8:05 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

My top three are still there! As long as Mondo and Austin make it to the finale I'll be fine (I do want Mondo to win since he should have won his season). I want Michael C there, but there's less a chance of him making it than Mondo and Austin. Tonight's challenge is really between Michael C and Kenley unless Mondo or Austin screw up big time, but I think it'd have to be a pretty big screw up. This is where Michael C went home in his season. If he loses tonight are we going to see bawling tears again?

(I believe this is also where Austin went home in his season)

I think they sent the right person home. I'm not saying that because I'm not a Jerrell fan. I like his work more than I like Kenley's. I just think his outfit was the worst of the challenge. I don't dislike it in the way the judge's disliked it. I really don't like the shape of the skirt and the others were just so much better. I loved Michael C's look. It was so video gamey, sort of a mix of Tron and Mortal Kombat. I do think it's funny that most of the contestants didn't like Austin's look, but he won.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.

Last edited by leah49; March 8th, 2012 at 8:07 pm.
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:28 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I loved Michael C's look. It was so video gamey, sort of a mix of Tron and Mortal Kombat.
HA!! That's what I thought when I rewatched the episode yesterday!

Old March 9th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Well, we have it. The final 3. Much to my dismay and another plunging neckline dress Michael C is in the finale. I'm ready for the spoiler and decoy collections. Guess I gotta go Google that.

I realize that keeping Michael in only helps to boost Mondo's chance of winning it all. But still, I would have liked to see Kenley's collection because I think it would be 3 very different styles.

Mondo's dress was very cute last night, he deserved the win - if only because the other 3 options were either boring or not realistic for ready to wear.

Old March 11th, 2012, 6:35 am
Rocket Scientist

I actually didnt like mondo's dress i think it was too much parts of it were good but other parts didnt work. I was surprised kenley didnt make it to the top 3 but really with austin, michael and kenley it was a hard call. Mondo better run away with the win this time around!

Old March 11th, 2012, 11:42 pm

The retail version of Mondo's dress is pretty close to the PR version. Except that they added a ribbon to tie it back. I personally like the boxy version better, but you knew it was coming.

It's amazing how at $300 it is totally sold out. http://www.nanettelepore.com/the-mystery-dress.html

And honestly, after looking at the website, I don't know how Kenley messed up so badly - her normal stuff would have fit in great with the rest of the looks for sale.

Old March 12th, 2012, 12:24 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
I realize that keeping Michael in only helps to boost Mondo's chance of winning it all. But still, I would have liked to see Kenley's collection because I think it would be 3 very different styles.
I agree. Michael is clearly second runner up and it's a two-horse race between Austin and Mondo for sure.

I was scared for Mondo this week because I did not like his dress. The funny thing is that off all the designers on PR Allstars, I would probably wear Kenley's stuff the most but I find her personality so wretched that I just can't vote for her to do well.

Mondo's stuff is so quirky and interesting, so forward - I could never pull it off (for one thing I'm not brave enough to wear it, I'm very fashion-conservative) but I just love him and his personality. His design method where he goes through bouts of loving his work and hating his work and his self-torture is very close to how I design and feel about my own work, or rather than self-torture I get more frustrated than anything.

I might wear some of Austin's work but he specializes in the big and the dramatic and seems to me to favor evening gowns that I have no use for. I might like is work if he put out a ready-to-wear sportswear line.

Old March 12th, 2012, 3:23 am

Quote:
The retail version of Mondo's dress is pretty close to the PR version. Except that they added a ribbon to tie it back. I personally like the boxy version better, but you knew it was coming.

It's amazing how at $300 it is totally sold out. http://www.nanettelepore.com/the-mystery-dress.html

And honestly, after looking at the website, I don't know how Kenley messed up so badly - her normal stuff would have fit in great with the rest of the looks for sale.
Yeah, I could never spend 300 on a simple dress like that. Good for Mondo, though. Hes getting a lot of press out of this, too. He was on an Oscars show about the fashions and i saw him on something else recently, too, though it slips my mind at the moment. Anyway, I hope he wins it all.

Old March 14th, 2012, 6:45 am

Spoiler--Here is a link to three of the looks that will be in the finale. Click through to see one look from each designer. Still pulling for Mondo.
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20578176,00.html

Old March 14th, 2012, 4:53 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
I agree. Michael is clearly second runner up and it's a two-horse race between Austin and Mondo for sure.
Yeah, it's kind of obvious that this is shaping up to be a two-way race between Mondo and Austin. This makes me happy, because I like both of them. I love, love, love Austin and he was totes robbed of a spot in the finals in his season. Mondo, as we all remember, was pretty much universally acknowledged to have been robbed of the win in his season, so it's kind of fitting that the two of them are in the finals together on All-Stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
I was scared for Mondo this week because I did not like his dress. The funny thing is that off all the designers on PR Allstars, I would probably wear Kenley's stuff the most but I find her personality so wretched that I just can't vote for her to do well.

Mondo's stuff is so quirky and interesting, so forward - I could never pull it off (for one thing I'm not brave enough to wear it, I'm very fashion-conservative) but I just love him and his personality. His design method where he goes through bouts of loving his work and hating his work and his self-torture is very close to how I design and feel about my own work, or rather than self-torture I get more frustrated than anything.
I also did not like Mondo's dress at all. Actually, I didn't like any of the looks from last week, but Mondo's was probably my least favorite. Not that I wanted him to go home or anything because I like him, but I just thought that dress was unflattering and kind of ugly.

I feel the same way about Kenley. I would wear more of her stuff than the others (except perhaps Milla, whose aesthetic was less girly and thus more me), but I find her too off-putting to ever root for her. We hadn't seen as much of her bad attitude this season, which is how I knew it was her boot episode when the producers showed us that pseudo-fight between her and Mondo and then showed her being arrogant throughout the episode.

I was happy to see her go, because she really did do the same dress almost every week. Michael's dress looked similar to a past garment of his, but Kenley's looked similar to a bunch of her past garments. Same dress, different print.

Old March 14th, 2012, 7:12 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I'm happy my top 3 are in the final 3. I liked Mondo's dress. It wasn't my favorite of his collection and I think it could've been less boxy, but I did like it. Michael C saved himself by following the advice and putting in the closure on the front of his dress. I really was nervous that they were going to hate Mondo's dress and send him packing.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television