Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Details On The HBP Movie

Old July 14th, 2009, 5:43 am
Until the very end

Details On The HBP Movie

If you want to discuss certain aspects of the movie, but you don't feel like writing an all-encompassing review, this is your thread

Discuss the little details that caught your attention, the scenes you liked the most, a prop you found interesting, and other little details about the movie.

As usual, please remember to follow The Forum Rules and keep the discussion civilized and on-topic.

The stories we love best do live in us forever,
so whether you come back by page or by the big screen,
Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2009, 6:23 pm
First Year

Sparkly stones in the Weaslys' shop

Hello all,

I'm the kind of person who loves looking at the backgrounds and props used in movies. I thought you might be interested in a little tidbit that I noticed in the film. It's about the magical stone that Harry gets at Fred and George's shop. As soon as I saw that pile of dark, glittery stones, I knew what they were. Or at least, I'm 99% sure. It's a material called carborundum. It's man-made, very hard (almost as hard as diamonds) but quite brittle. In fact it would be pretty easy to do what Harry does in the film and crush it into powder. I know this because I have a chunk of the stuff and I have to be careful when I move it because small pieces break off.

The same material can be clarified and compressed into the diamond substitute called moissanite. It's also used in sandpaper because of its hardness. But the sparkly form I think they used in the movie is a byproduct of the glass industry.

The raw stuff is very pretty in real life - sparkly, rainbow-y - I can see why they'd want to use it. Very magical.

You can see pictures of the material in Google Images. If you look around a little you can find carborundum on sale where minerals for collecting are sold. It's not very expensive.

Old July 16th, 2009, 7:55 pm
First Year

Re: Details On The HBP Movie

Hmmm, I really liked the parts with draco and the birds, and how the bird came out dead. I thought that was impressive. I also liked how Hermione's hair got very bushy in the cauldron fumes. I remember there being a sentence about that in the book, and I thought it was very cool. I also really liked Ron's poisoning scene, I thought the effect was scary and realistic. The hospital scene was very clever and sweet too.

Old July 16th, 2009, 7:55 pm
Animaga terpsichore

The cave scene really caught my attention the most. It was so beautiful and magnificent. Nothing like I imagined while reading the book. Also, the glass cupboard with Tom Tiddle's memories that Dumbledore had in his office was probably my favorite prop to see on screen.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old July 16th, 2009, 8:07 pm
Fourth Year

I liked Draco and the apples in the Vanishing Cabinet. I'd seen PoA two days before and Draco's rarely seen not munching an apple in that movie.
My friend and I couldn't stop giggling at that!

Old July 16th, 2009, 8:10 pm
Second Year

Did anybody else think it was corny when they held up their wands after Dumbledore died? I actually thought it was kinda funny because it reminded me of a rock concert and people holding up their lighters. And i thought it was weird that a group of people were around Dumbledore when there wasnt a battle to wake them and they managed to get there before Harry. I guess i am too critical.

And i dont get how the fire went underwater and got the inferi. Is that possible?

And the borrow fight was completely useless. That time would have been better if they showed the fight at hogwarts. Harry and ginny could have bonded there as well quite easily.

I really liked harry on the felix as well as how hermione acted when ron said her name in the hospital wing.

I also think that because ginny hid the book she will be involved with finding the tiara.

Old July 16th, 2009, 8:19 pm
Second Year

The cave scene was perfect in my opinion. Taking Harry underwater was really really chilling I thought it was brilliant.

Old July 16th, 2009, 8:35 pm
Fifth Year

I liked the little Umbridge toy zipping along the high wire in the joke shop. It kept bleating "I will have order" over and over.

Old July 16th, 2009, 8:41 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombo125 View Post
Did anybody else think it was corny when they held up their wands after Dumbledore died? I actually thought it was kinda funny because it reminded me of a rock concert and people holding up their lighters. And i thought it was weird that a group of people were around Dumbledore when there wasnt a battle to wake them and they managed to get there before Harry. I guess i am too critical.
It's a wandlight vigil, like a candlelight vigil. I guess what makes it look more rock concert than vigil is they're holding them up in the air rather than in front of them.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old July 16th, 2009, 8:57 pm
Zonko's Employee

The wandlight vigil wasn't cheesy imo because it wasn't just a symbiotic gesture, it means that every student there wanted to get rid of the dark mark so raised their wands to erase it and create the light. It reminds me of the concept of Dumbledore's Army in a way, how much all of the students loved their headmaster, makes up for the battle being cut and the funeral and foreshadows the last film where alot of students band together to defend their school.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; July 16th, 2009 at 9:00 pm.
Old July 16th, 2009, 9:05 pm
First Year

I didn't so much mind the wandlight vigil, but I was annoyed at how wands had been reduced to fancy flashlights in most scenes in this film. Hermione seemed to cast most of her spells by partially covering her mouth and muttering them with no wand in sight.

Old July 16th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Animaga terpsichore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
I liked the little Umbridge toy zipping along the high wire in the joke shop. It kept bleating "I will have order" over and over.
Wow I didn't even notice that. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I'm seeing it again tomorrow.

I honestly loved the scene where everyone held up their wands. It showed that everyone came together as one to get rid of the Dark Mark.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old July 16th, 2009, 9:20 pm
First Year

I also loved the "wand holding" scene. It's the only part of the movie that really moved me. And I love the idea of it being foreshadowing to the final battle at Hogwarts where everyone, students and teachers and civilians, band together to fight.

tombo125, I like the idea that since Ginny hid the book she will help find the diadem. Even though that's not how it happened in the book, I'm all for more Ginny scenes in DH

One other thing I noticed, and it's not a good thing, was the reflections in Harry's glasses. It seemed like there was constantly something reflecting on the glasses, thus making it very difficult to read him because I couldn't see his eyes clearly. Have they done this in other movies? I don't remember ever being so distracted by reflections in his glasses, and it really bothered me in HBP!

Old July 16th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Third Year

I am seeing the movie in 5 minutes!

Old July 16th, 2009, 10:04 pm
First Year

Something that, stupidly, i've only just realised- Snape said "Its over" in the trailer. I think, by way of editing, it was made quite a big thing in the trailer. But it wasn't in the movie. I dont understand that, and its quite annoying.

Old July 16th, 2009, 10:04 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
I noticed that and loved that small touch Yates managed to connect the fifth and the sixth film, tiny reflection on the last chapter of the series which i think was nice, and it was something Fred and George would definately do!!

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:13 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_snuffles View Post
The cave scene really caught my attention the most. It was so beautiful and magnificent. Nothing like I imagined while reading the book. Also, the glass cupboard with Tom Tiddle's memories that Dumbledore had in his office was probably my favorite prop to see on screen.
Yes, it was very 'beautiful and magnificent', especially before they enter the cave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willz View Post
The cave scene was perfect in my opinion. Taking Harry underwater was really really chilling I thought it was brilliant.
Yeah when he was pulled under, it was very frightening, a definite cliff-hanger. It was very scary as well when the hand popped out of the water; and when they all started coming out of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
The wandlight vigil wasn't cheesy imo because it wasn't just a symbiotic gesture, it means that every student there wanted to get rid of the dark mark so raised their wands to erase it and create the light. It reminds me of the concept of Dumbledore's Army in a way, how much all of the students loved their headmaster, makes up for the battle being cut and the funeral and foreshadows the last film where alot of students band together to defend their school.
How does that make the Dark Mark go away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingRed View Post

One other thing I noticed, and it's not a good thing, was the reflections in Harry's glasses. It seemed like there was constantly something reflecting on the glasses, thus making it very difficult to read him because I couldn't see his eyes clearly. Have they done this in other movies? I don't remember ever being so distracted by reflections in his glasses, and it really bothered me in HBP!
When was this? I don't recall that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinners_End7 View Post
Something that, stupidly, i've only just realised- Snape said "Its over" in the trailer. I think, by way of editing, it was made quite a big thing in the trailer. But it wasn't in the movie. I dont understand that, and its quite annoying.
It wasn't, was it?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:25 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542
I would like to scrutinize this scene. I think there are likely many little toys and merchandise in the background that will be a nod to the readers. I did not see any U-No-Poo sign, though, so that is disappointing.

One of the "little" things I liked was the Pensieve. I was disappointed in it in GoF, making it its own altar, so I was glad they made it more accessible in this film. I still wish it resembled the one described in the book a little more, stone with rune-like markings etched along the side, but I think this prop was an improvement from GoF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315
It was very scary as well when the hand popped out of the water; and when they all started coming out of nowhere.
I think everyone in my theatre jumped when the hand came out to grab Harry. When Dumbledore and Harry were journeying in the boat, I wondered why we did not see any human remains in the water, but now I realize they wanted to leave the Inferi as a surprise for the hand jumping out.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:28 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post

I think everyone in my theatre jumped when the hand came out to grab Harry. When Dumbledore and Harry were journeying in the boat, I wondered why we did not see any human remains in the water, but now I realize they wanted to leave the Inferi as a surprise for the hand jumping out.
I think I'm the only one that didn't jump in our theatre, my nephew literally jumped from his seat and stood up. He wouldn't look until all the inferi were gone. I thought we had seen the inferi when they were venturing out into the boat? Didn't we see one in particular? I thought it was to symbolize R.A.B. or maybe I'm mistaken?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post

Yeah when he was pulled under, it was very frightening, a definite cliff-hanger. It was very scary as well when the hand popped out of the water; and when they all started coming out of nowhere.
That scared everyone in the cinema when that happened. I watched the film a second time, and even then as i braced myself i jumped out of my seat and gasped It was brilliant.

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies