Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Details On The HBP Movie

Old July 17th, 2009, 7:05 pm
Banned

Re: Details On The HBP Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
Well it seemed to me it was played like "someones bitten into the apple" rather than "look how messed up the apple is". They could have squashed it a bit more or wrinkled it up if they wanted it to look like something had gone wrong.
I was half expecting this:

But the bite seemed good enough to signify not everything was good in DE town.

Surprised that Yates didn't take the opportunity to make some more magic effects and instead have this appear on the return:

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2009, 7:09 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordThingy View Post
One detail that bugged me was the fact that Draco's dormitory had a window. the slytherins are supposed to be underground... but that was just a minor thing.
The ministry of magic is underground and they have windows as well. It doesnt mean its a mistake. Remember its magic

Old July 17th, 2009, 7:20 pm
First Year

I loved the cave scene; I thought the part where Harry supports Dumbledore off the rock through that firestorm was really effective and emotional. I like how they seemed to drop tiny bits of the book in all over - like how it's mentioned in the book that Hermione's hair gets bushier as she struggles with the potion; and when she reads the paper it shows news of Amelia bones' death.

HOWEVER
FleurDeLaPointe, i think you're reading waaaaaaaay too deeply into this movie. For one, no self-respecting producer would subtly discredit themselves; the bridge collapsing is an event in the book, not a metaphysical-symbolistic-metaphorical-simile-poetic device or whatever :P Similarly, Hermione's bushy hair is just that - bushy, and it gets bushier exactly how they did it in the book. If anything it's an achievement in accuracy. However I kind of agree with the end of point 3 , harry and Hermione discussing it without Ron might be the start of Ron's 'jealousy' feelings that we see in the locket.
But again point 6 - it's in the book, it's a funeral, it happens, simply because J.K. Rowling wrote it. The fact there is no 'comedy' after is a) untrue (hagrid's hut is hilarious) and b) kind of fitting with the book anyway, as the it does thereafter get pretty serious.

Quote:
Aragog's funeral isn't showing the death of the huge pinchered spider.
Yes it is. It's like saying 'Dumbledore's death isn't showing Dumbledore dying'.

Back to the film :P
I love the quidditch match simply for its costume design and incredible cinematography - to have a match in the snow is amazing! If only Harry could have been shown catching the Snitch, because i felt it was missing a bit :P
But to say Alan Rockman hasn't read the books, I'm astounded because i think he plays Snape really well! His entrance, shushing Harry, is one of his coolest entrances ever
Oh and i also loved the soundtrack for the part where Dumbledore and Harry apparate to the cliffs where the cave is Very dramatic

*edited* i used some form of the word 'amazing' like 4 times

Last edited by Oreon; July 17th, 2009 at 7:27 pm.
Old July 17th, 2009, 8:18 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
One detail that bugged me was the fact that Draco's dormitory had a window. the slytherins are supposed to be underground... but that was just a minor thing.
He was in the hospital wing. This was after the sectumsempra scene. He was not supposed to be in the dorm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaWeasley View Post
Okay, I have a question. When the apple comes back through the vanishing cabinet, I thought it had a bite out of it, like someone on the other end had taken a bite and sent it back. My husband thought it wasn't a bite, it was just a missing part, similar to splinching while apparating. Anybody know?
I don't think someone took a bite on the other end. When they showed the first bird go through it was alive on the other end in B&B's which was empty with the lights out, but then when it returned it didn't all come back which is why it was dead. That is the same thing that happened with the apple. It is exactly like splinching.

Draco wasn't happy about the apple coming back with a piece missing so that was not what was supposed to happen. He was not happy about the bird coming back dead. They were trying to show that things could go one way, but they weren't coming back right the other way. Draco was still trying to mend the cabinet.

Quote:
And where should I look for Cho Chang when I see the movie next time, because I completely missed her?
People said before the film came out that Cho was in it, but i didn't see her.

Old July 17th, 2009, 9:28 pm
First Year

i really liked how when harry was looking under the sphere when Dumledore was getting ready to die, Snape came up and made the "shhh"ing symbol. that sort of put alot of people on track if you havent read the books.

Old July 17th, 2009, 10:34 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFluerDelacourx View Post
Also noticed those birds that were in the round barred cage and then there was and even bigger cage exactly like it around the smaller barred cage. Why put two small birds in two cages? In fact, why did they seem to be in a corridor? I guess its a representation of whats going on in the movie.
They were there so that Draco could kill them while testing the passage - and that's about it! Pretty cages though.

Quote:
And when the Burrow was burning, why wasn't anyone using Aquamenti (not sure of the spelling) to put it out? For that matter, where were the wands in this movie? I agree with whoever said they were more like glorified flashlights.
I have posted the same exact thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. Are these people wizards or what!

Why is it they only use magic in the last 2 movies for fighting?

Old July 17th, 2009, 10:45 pm
Third Year

Regarding Death Eaters/Aurors

OK so in this movie at the burrow scene and the very beginning with the bridge I am a little confused, maybe I am just completely oblivious to something that I have forgotten but in the Burrow scene what exactly are Fenrir and Bellatrix doing when it looks like they are flying? I don't recall ever reading about them being able to do that, it's also seen in OOTP when all the Aurors and Death Eaters are dueling each other, they basically look like they are flying around whether its white looking smoke or black looking smoke. It has been a while since Ive read the books so forgive me if I am missing something that is so obvious. Can anyone help me out?

Proud member of

-She is the definition of perfect-
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:23 pm
Zonko's Employee

A detail I loved loved loved was the broken record playing in the ROR when Draco would go in there. It perfectly subtly underlined Draco's isolation and loneliness and the conflict, drama and sadness that was going on in his soul. It was like something Cauron would do but this time, it actually served the characters and story in some way and wasn't just a random weird artistic thing that distracted from the film IMO.

The broken opera record alone makes this movie feel like an Oscar film to me.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old July 18th, 2009, 12:53 am
Second Year

I hope I'm not imagining this; I'm pretty sure I'm not anyway...

I loved how little Tom Riddle had a picutre of the cave in his room at the orhpanage. I suppose sharp non-readers could have put two and two together and figured that Voldermot hid the horcrux there because he had visited the place as child and may have tormented other kids there.

Old July 18th, 2009, 1:07 am
Second Year

Quote:
Did you all notice the Deathly Hallows symbols in the room of requirement? I noticed them when i was desperately searching for a sign of the diadum

No, I didn't, please share details, I want to see the movie again soon

Old July 18th, 2009, 1:21 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Here is a detail that really is bugging me, it has to do with the travelling by smoke thing that wizards can apparently do. First of all, I was never a fan of it when it was brought in originally in OotP in the DoM (it was used in the graveyard in GoF as well, but I assumed at the time that it was just their take on apparition). To me, it just didn't make sense that all DE's and Aurors could fly around at the speed of sound wherever they wanted to.

Anyway, while we see the DE's continuing to use this throughout HBP, suddenly the Aurors are restricted to using it in the DoM? Why don't Lupin and Tonks and Arthur just fly over the tall grass in the attack on the Burrow instead of running through it?

Once again, I don't see the need to ruin consistency. Just another thing I didn't like about this scene.

Speaking of inconsistency, I just don't understand why they changed the way to get into the room of requirements. They spent enough time explaining it in OotP, so why not let it work the same way?

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old July 18th, 2009, 2:14 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
Here is a detail that really is bugging me, it has to do with the travelling by smoke thing that wizards can apparently do. First of all, I was never a fan of it when it was brought in originally in OotP in the DoM (it was used in the graveyard in GoF as well, but I assumed at the time that it was just their take on apparition). To me, it just didn't make sense that all DE's and Aurors could fly around at the speed of sound wherever they wanted to.

Anyway, while we see the DE's continuing to use this throughout HBP, suddenly the Aurors are restricted to using it in the DoM? Why don't Lupin and Tonks and Arthur just fly over the tall grass in the attack on the Burrow instead of running through it?

Once again, I don't see the need to ruin consistency. Just another thing I didn't like about this scene.
In both the Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix, Apparition is seen as the person transforming into a cloud of smoke, and re-forming elsewhere. This is most seen during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries in the film adaptation of the Order of the Phoenix. Death Eaters were shown Apparating in a cloud of black smoke, while the Order of the Phoenix members Apparated in clouds of pure white smoke instead of appearing with a "pop" as in the books.

Also in the Department of Mysteries, several members of the Order and Death Eaters were seen, with the same appearance as apparating, flying while battling. We know from the canon that this is incorrect because one cannot fly without assistance (with the exception of Lord Voldemort and those who he taught such as Severus Snape).

Curiously, Fred and George Weasley Apparated towards the beginning of the film twice with no special effects. They merely appeared suddenly, most commonly behind someone, to that persons' great annoyance.

In the Half-Blood Prince, the Death Eaters are shown apparating by means of a cloud of black mist as in Order of the Phoenix, as they attack both wizarding neighborhoods and also Muggle neighborhoods. When they attack the bridge and wreak havoc on town sites, they seem to just hit the foundation. In addition, in the film the mist becomes transparent, as if invisble while attacking the bridge. It is very clear in the books that doing magic while apparating is more or less impossible because you are being "ripped" to another location and the sensation is so powerful that you couldn't focus to aim your wand anyway. Rowling never explained how such catastrophes like the bridge happened, but it's safe to say that the Death Eaters probably didn't smash into the foundations while covered in black haze like in the movies. It may be possible that this misty teleportation is not apparating at all

Proud member of

-She is the definition of perfect-
Old July 18th, 2009, 2:43 am
First Year

what about how HBP doesnt hit key things need for DH, like Dumbledore telling him what other horcurxes are, or only to tell hermione and ron, or how genny hid the book...hows harry gonna know where to find the tiara? I tht the movie was amazing but i am totally confused on them setting it up for DH...no tomb? doesnt voldemort break into tomb so isnt it important?

Old July 18th, 2009, 3:06 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post

?
Now that you question why Lupin and company didn't just fly like the Death Eaters in that Burrow scene, it does irk me.

I've thought that giving such liberty as creating a form of magical transportation to the film-makers is okay if it's done to enhance the action sequences on screen. For my own sake, I've made up the premise in my head that the Death Eaters in the HP movie world have dwelled deep into the Dark Arts and are able to fly in plumes of black smoke and still do magic, while Order members can use their patronus to do the same thing because they are…erm, more pleasant people and their patronus will thus be capable of doing more than communicating with other wizards and defending agaisnt Dementors.

Last edited by TheWestTower; July 18th, 2009 at 3:10 am.
Old July 18th, 2009, 3:15 am
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttenibani718 View Post
what about how HBP doesnt hit key things need for DH, like Dumbledore telling him what other horcurxes are, or only to tell hermione and ron, or how genny hid the book...hows harry gonna know where to find the tiara? I tht the movie was amazing but i am totally confused on them setting it up for DH...no tomb? doesnt voldemort break into tomb so isnt it important?
I have a theory DH will start at the funeral to keep that fresher for DH2.

I mostly didn't mind the movie. Which is high praise by my standards, usually HP flicks involve a half hour rant on things they got completely wrong.

My only complaints are the Dumbledore death aftermath lacked something although I liked the lit wands and the Harry/Ginny "kiss" was hardly worth mentioning.

I did think Ron's love potion scene was brilliant though.

Old July 18th, 2009, 3:31 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttenibani718 View Post
I completely agree with your post. I mean, it is easy for us, who have read the books to know what is going on, but what about all the other people who rely solely on the movies to tell the stories. The movies, in my opinion, need to convey the important information that sets up the next movie in a series like this. I understand that it is impossible to include everything from the books, I just think that there are certain things that warrant a deeper explanation. For example, the horcruxes. There should have bene more discussion about them, that way the audience would know what Harry would be undertaking in the next movie, that it wasn't just at random or on a hunch that he was going after certain items.

I don't mind the added scenes, I just think that instead of adding unnecessary fluff they should work on developing the more important bits of story so that the audience can understand what is going on better. This movie pretty much reminds me of OotP, great movies but lacking alot of the more important (at least from a literary standpoint) aspects that set up the next films, instead relying on lighter storylines to get some laughs.

I thought that Ron was awesome in this movie, and honestly I thought all the actors did a really great job, my main complaints pertain to the actual storyline.

Old July 18th, 2009, 3:32 am
Seventh Year

Some smaller things that I really loved:

-Snape showing up in front of Harry just before he goes upstairs to...well, you know. Excellent mislead (well, a mislead to a mislead).

-Ron being way too tactile when on the love potion.

-Hermione wearing the most charming smile at Ron's brilliant and boastful playing - despite her frustration at Harry spiking his drink (or so she thinks).

-I too loved the Umbridge dolls at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. Nice touch.

-Opening the film with Harry and Dumbledore, moments after the climax to Order of the Phoenix, surrounded by press at the Ministry. Nothing I would have thought of or expected, but a lovely way to start and a touching moment between the two.

-I talked about this before seeing the film, but "I once knew a boy who made all the wrong choices..." Naturally, it refers in this context to Tom Riddle/Voldemort, but the line has much more relevance than that and it's delivered perfectly.

-The little conversation about Ginny's and Hermione's...skin.

Old July 18th, 2009, 4:46 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausBaudelaire View Post
Dumbledore saying to Draco 'Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices', it could refer to Grindelwald and Tom Riddle at the same time.
I loved that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWestTower View Post

I loved how little Tom Riddle had a picutre of the cave in his room at the orhpanage. I suppose sharp non-readers could have put two and two together and figured that Voldermot hid the horcrux there because he had visited the place as child and may have tormented other kids there.
I saw that too and loved it! There was also a collection of rocks/shells lined up on his windowsill.

I didn't like Harry and Ginny's kiss at all- if it can even be called that Really, it was utter rubbish, barely a peck. I also wasn't too fond of the way that no one said spells out loud, really, at all!

Last edited by Panduhbear; July 18th, 2009 at 5:01 am.
Old July 18th, 2009, 5:00 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post

My only complaints are the Dumbledore death aftermath lacked something although I liked the lit wands and the Harry/Ginny "kiss" was hardly worth mentioning.

I did think Ron's love potion scene was brilliant though.
I agree with you. When I left the movie theater I was wondering about the abcense of the funeral, but them I recalled that this movie started with some scenes as a recall of the last one and that we they split the 7th in two, so I guess they will probably start the first part of the 7th with the funeral and probably more info on the horcruxes.

The scene with the lit wands up was really touching to me. And finally, Ron cracked me up on the love potion scene!! Rupert is perfect in it.

Old July 18th, 2009, 5:24 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWestTower View Post

Oh yeah, I caught this as well. I thought it interesting that he'd keep a momentum of the cave at such early age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEMBERALL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordThingy
Did you all notice the Deathly Hallows symbols in the room of requirement? I noticed them when i was desperately searching for a sign of the diadum

No, I didn't, please share details, I want to see the movie again soon
I hadn't noticed that either, good catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post

I mostly didn't mind the movie. Which is high praise by my standards, usually HP flicks involve a half hour rant on things they got completely wrong.
Me as well, I usually have four rolls of parchment filled with complaints. I think it because I went into this movie knowing what to expect, and thus making expectations different than when usually going to a Potter movie.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies