Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #101  
Old October 20th, 2014, 4:34 pm
HMN's Avatar
HMN  Female.gif HMN is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 5205 days
Location: in denial
Posts: 2,163
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman View Post
If they are going to do spinoff stuff, I hope JKR writes some source material for it.
I wish she'd put out books for this stuff before the movies come out! Esp if it will be an ongoing spinoff series.


__________________
is totally awesome!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #102  
Old November 10th, 2014, 8:44 am
BenGerman's Avatar
BenGerman  Male.gif BenGerman is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4240 days
Location: Middle of Everywhere
Age: 27
Posts: 377
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I wish she'd put out books for this stuff before the movies come out! Esp if it will be an ongoing spinoff series.
Yep, agreed!

For me, it all comes down to whether or not she is okay with leaving up the cannon of the wizarding world to someone else. My guess is no, at least not right now.

As far as spinoffs go, I wonder what they are thinking? My ultimate hope is that we get something beyond the Harry years. I've heard rumblings of a television series (in the way of a Series of Unfortunate Events kind of deal), and I wonder if that wouldn't be about Harry's children. I'd prefer to stay away from his lineage, but I'm okay with it if it means getting a glimpse of what the future looks like.


__________________


Two of the oddest men you would ever meet.

Supporter of splitting at shell cottage after Dobby's Heroic death.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old January 20th, 2015, 1:22 pm
micomator  Male.gif micomator is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 5377 days
Location: Western Australia
Age: 27
Posts: 13
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

I can't wait for this. I've been lurking these forums for ten years, and now I'm going to make my own site for this new trilogy. EXCITEMENT.

Link in sig:


__________________
Fantastic Beast News - The first news site for JK Rowling's new trilogy.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old May 27th, 2015, 7:27 pm
Jonny Boy  Male.gif Jonny Boy is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5848 days
Location: Clarence Park
Age: 28
Posts: 303
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Sounds like we are finally learning some stuff about this movie. Apparently there are characters named Jacob, Tina, and Queenie, with several actresses competing for the latter two roles.


__________________
“It means . . . you know . . . living beyond death. Living after death.” [DH 16]

“But that’s – I’m sorry, but that’s completely ridiculous! How can I possibly prove it doesn’t exist? Do you expect me to get hold of – of all the pebbles in the world and test them? I mean, you could claim that anything’s real if the only basis for believing in it is that nobody’s proved it doesn’t exist!” [DH 21]
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old June 17th, 2015, 3:44 pm
houseelf25's Avatar
houseelf25  Female.gif houseelf25 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 5276 days
Location: A dark and expensive forest
Age: 29
Posts: 697
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Any thoughts on who the bad guy will be, if any? I had a friend suggest that it might be Grindelwald, but I'm not sure I'm on board with that. Since Newt is a researcher, it might be interesting if it's not all wand explosions and battles and more of an investigation into the wider wizarding world and the actual creatures...maybe the villain could be a rival researcher or something?


__________________


Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling

Last edited by houseelf25; June 17th, 2015 at 3:47 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old June 19th, 2015, 4:22 am
canismajoris  Male.gif canismajoris is offline
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star
 
Joined: 4992 days
Location: əɹəɥ
Age: 36
Posts: 2,766
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

We might even get a protagonist who isn't odious.


Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old June 26th, 2015, 2:15 pm
Velva  Female.gif Velva is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3056 days
Posts: 48
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

I wasn't sure where to put this, but since it is a new project I thought I would put it here.

I just saw where the new Harry Potter play is going to be in London next summer! It is called "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child"! Even though I will not be able to go there to see it, it is still very exciting. Here is the site announcement: http://www.harrypottertheplaylondon.com/


__________________
Pottermore: CastleFlight

Wand: Laurel with unicorn core, twelve and a quarter inches, slightly springy

House: Hufflepuff

Ilvermorny House: Pukwudgie
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old June 28th, 2015, 6:28 pm
MrSleepyHead's Avatar
MrSleepyHead  Male.gif MrSleepyHead is offline
Snidget of Champions
 
Joined: 5227 days
Location: Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Posts: 3,158
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseelf25 View Post
Any thoughts on who the bad guy will be, if any? I had a friend suggest that it might be Grindelwald, but I'm not sure I'm on board with that. Since Newt is a researcher, it might be interesting if it's not all wand explosions and battles and more of an investigation into the wider wizarding world and the actual creatures...maybe the villain could be a rival researcher or something?
I'm looking forward to a hint of the plot. Right now, we're excited for the film because it's written by JKR and set in the wizarding world she created in Harry Potter. At some point, this film needs to sell itself as its own film with intriguing characters and plot. With the 2016 release date and JKR's apparent hope for the film to stand on its own feet, I think the time is ripe for more details that allow us to anticipate the film on its own merit. Therefore, will it be a good vs. evil, wizard v. Muggle, researcher v. researcher, self discovery, etc. story? I'm not sure, but I'm finding it difficult to stay excited about this project simply because it's related to Harry Potter.


__________________


A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old July 20th, 2015, 7:25 am
BenGerman's Avatar
BenGerman  Male.gif BenGerman is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4240 days
Location: Middle of Everywhere
Age: 27
Posts: 377
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

It's fun seeing all the pictures of people lining up to audition for roles in the film.

Sort of funny that amongst Harry Potter's most hardcore fans this series hasn't generated a ton of buzz. I think this is going to be a really cool addition to the lore of the series and I'm really hyped for it, especially because we know JKR won't do something to hurt the series and an awesome cast is already in place.


__________________


Two of the oddest men you would ever meet.

Supporter of splitting at shell cottage after Dobby's Heroic death.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old August 17th, 2015, 3:01 pm
MrSleepyHead's Avatar
MrSleepyHead  Male.gif MrSleepyHead is offline
Snidget of Champions
 
Joined: 5227 days
Location: Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Posts: 3,158
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

It looks like filming started today (August 17) at Leavesden!

Official press release:
Official press release:    


  FILMING GETS UNDERWAY ON
“FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM”
Much-anticipated new film, written by wizarding world creator J.K. Rowling
and being directed by David Yates, starts production in England
BURBANK, CA – August 17, 2015 – Principal photography has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures’ highly anticipated feature “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.” The all new adventure is set in the wizarding world created by J.K. Rowling in her best-selling Harry Potterbooks, which were adapted into the highest-grossing film franchise of all time.
Filming started today, August 17, at Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden, under the direction of David Yates, who helmed the last four “Harry Potter” feature films.
Academy Award winner Eddie Redmayne (“The Theory of Everything”) stars as Newt Scamander, the wizarding world’s preeminent magizoologist, who stops in New York following his travels to find and document magical creatures.
“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” also stars Katherine Waterston (“Inherent Vice”) as Tina; Alison Sudol (“Dig,” “Transparent”) as Tina’s sister, Queenie; Tony Award winner Dan Fogler (“The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee”) as Jacob; Ezra Miller (“Trainwreck”) as Credence; two-time Oscar nominee Samantha Morton (“In America,” “Sweet and Lowdown”) as Mary Lou; Jenn Murray (“Brooklyn”) as Chastity; young newcomer Faith Wood-Blagrove as Modesty; and Colin Farrell (“True Detective”) as Graves.
Marking the screenwriting debut of J.K. Rowling, the script was inspired by her character Newt Scamander’s Hogwarts textbook, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
The film is being produced by David Heyman, producer of all eight of the blockbuster “Harry Potter” features; J.K. Rowling; Steve Kloves; and Lionel Wigram.
Collaborating with Yates behind the scenes are: Oscar-winning director of photography Philippe Rousselot (“A River Runs Through It,” the “Sherlock Holmes” movies), three-time Oscar-winning production designer Stuart Craig (“The English Patient,” “Dangerous Liaisons,” “Gandhi,” the “Harry Potter” films), three-time Oscar-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood (“Chicago,” “Memoirs of a Geisha,” “Alice in Wonderland”), Oscar-winning visual effects supervisor Tim Burke (“Gladiator,” the “Harry Potter” films), Oscar-nominated visual effects supervisor Christian Manz (“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1”), and Yates’ longtime editor Mark Day (the last four “Harry Potter” films).
Warner Bros. Pictures has slated “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” for worldwide release in 3D and IMAX on November 18, 2016.
  



And interesting point, BenGerman: I will say it's a bit strange to see how little the Potter fans seem to be flocking towards this. Perhaps it's caution/uncertainty, but also just how the fandom (and its fans) has changed and aged. I expect a bit more excitement as filming picks up.


__________________


A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old August 19th, 2015, 5:06 am
HedwigOwl's Avatar
HedwigOwl  Female.gif HedwigOwl is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 5520 days
Location: Surfing a Probability Wave
Posts: 6,970
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
It looks like filming started today (August 17) at Leavesden!

Official press release:
Official press release:    


  FILMING GETS UNDERWAY ON
“FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM”
Much-anticipated new film, written by wizarding world creator J.K. Rowling
and being directed by David Yates, starts production in England
BURBANK, CA – August 17, 2015 – Principal photography has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures’ highly anticipated feature “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.” The all new adventure is set in the wizarding world created by J.K. Rowling in her best-selling Harry Potterbooks, which were adapted into the highest-grossing film franchise of all time.
Filming started today, August 17, at Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden, under the direction of David Yates, who helmed the last four “Harry Potter” feature films.
Academy Award winner Eddie Redmayne (“The Theory of Everything”) stars as Newt Scamander, the wizarding world’s preeminent magizoologist, who stops in New York following his travels to find and document magical creatures.
“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” also stars Katherine Waterston (“Inherent Vice”) as Tina; Alison Sudol (“Dig,” “Transparent”) as Tina’s sister, Queenie; Tony Award winner Dan Fogler (“The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee”) as Jacob; Ezra Miller (“Trainwreck”) as Credence; two-time Oscar nominee Samantha Morton (“In America,” “Sweet and Lowdown”) as Mary Lou; Jenn Murray (“Brooklyn”) as Chastity; young newcomer Faith Wood-Blagrove as Modesty; and Colin Farrell (“True Detective”) as Graves.
Marking the screenwriting debut of J.K. Rowling, the script was inspired by her character Newt Scamander’s Hogwarts textbook, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
The film is being produced by David Heyman, producer of all eight of the blockbuster “Harry Potter” features; J.K. Rowling; Steve Kloves; and Lionel Wigram.
Collaborating with Yates behind the scenes are: Oscar-winning director of photography Philippe Rousselot (“A River Runs Through It,” the “Sherlock Holmes” movies), three-time Oscar-winning production designer Stuart Craig (“The English Patient,” “Dangerous Liaisons,” “Gandhi,” the “Harry Potter” films), three-time Oscar-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood (“Chicago,” “Memoirs of a Geisha,” “Alice in Wonderland”), Oscar-winning visual effects supervisor Tim Burke (“Gladiator,” the “Harry Potter” films), Oscar-nominated visual effects supervisor Christian Manz (“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1”), and Yates’ longtime editor Mark Day (the last four “Harry Potter” films).
Warner Bros. Pictures has slated “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” for worldwide release in 3D and IMAX on November 18, 2016.
  

Spoiler: show
Interesting choice with Eddie Redmayne. At least we know the main character will be portrayed by an excellent actor.


__________________
http://www.cosforums.com/images/img/401694897da473df47.png[/img]
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff...

....I miss David Tennant....
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old August 20th, 2015, 3:49 pm
MrSleepyHead's Avatar
MrSleepyHead  Male.gif MrSleepyHead is offline
Snidget of Champions
 
Joined: 5227 days
Location: Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Posts: 3,158
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Spoiler: show
Interesting choice with Eddie Redmayne. At least we know the main character will be portrayed by an excellent actor.
This film seems to have a decent amount of 'star power'; itwill be interesting to have a wizarding world film with a protagonist portrayed by someone known well outside of the series (as opposed to the child actors who grew with the original series). I have yet to see anything by 'Newt,' though, so perhaps it won't have that outsider effect on me.

As always, I have a hard time nowadays receiving Potter information from JKR's Twitter, and I'm again reminded of one reason why it's frustrating: contradictions seem to arise more often. In the original press release for Fantastic Beasts, the film is categorized as "neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world." Now, JKR says this on Twitter:
@jk_rowling, Twitter, 8/17/2015#FantasticBeasts: prequel.

#CursedChild: NOT a prequel.

Simple!*

*I'll be repeating this daily for months.

Not sure how this will be considered a prequel, nor what JKR means by "prequel" any more. As I see it, the original synopsis of "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" seemed more prequel-y than Fantastic Beasts (the former being directly about Harry's time with the Dursleys - "explore the previously untold story of Harry’s early years as an orphan and outcast" -, the latter a seemingly unassociated story about a distant character's adventures in a rather unrelated land).


__________________


A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old November 7th, 2015, 12:44 am
MrSleepyHead's Avatar
MrSleepyHead  Male.gif MrSleepyHead is offline
Snidget of Champions
 
Joined: 5227 days
Location: Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Posts: 3,158
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Where is everybody? We get our first substantial look at Fantastic Beasts, and I half-expect to see meesha, MasterOfDeath, lcbaseball.... I can't do an All-Inclusive list, but I'll at least jump start this thread with the logo and first images from the set.

This week we got the logo, American word for non-magical folk, some photos, and quite a bit of background about the story. Check out the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly for all the details, but it's all welcome news. I was getting a bit concerned that we hadn't heard anything being only a little over a year out from the release date.
Entertainment Weekly pictures:    


  














  



It looks and sounds interesting. I can definitely see Redmayne as a wizard, and the premise definitely seems exciting enough to make a watchable film. I'm a bit wary of the plot as presented by EW: it seems like it could turn into a rather Hollywood, contrived ride. But I have faith in JKR and the rest of the crew that it will exceed a bare bones plot summary.


__________________


A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old November 7th, 2015, 1:47 am
Anhelda's Avatar
Anhelda  Female.gif Anhelda is offline
Ravenclaw Prefect
 
Joined: 5177 days
Location: Ohio
Posts: 976
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
It looks and sounds interesting. I can definitely see Redmayne as a wizard, and the premise definitely seems exciting enough to make a watchable film. I'm a bit wary of the plot as presented by EW: it seems like it could turn into a rather Hollywood, contrived ride. But I have faith in JKR and the rest of the crew that it will exceed a bare bones plot summary.
I agree it looks interesting (although I'm not sure about the MACUSA, I always envisioned a Secretary of Sorcery heading up the Department of Sorcery/Magic, since that's more in line with other US administrative divisions...oh well, that's why Jo is in charge of her creation and I'm not...). Redmayne looks great. I haven't seen the plot summary, although I did read a bit about the beasts that are expected in the movie (don't have a link, sorry). Not sure how the story will go, but I haven't seen anything that turns me negative yet.


__________________
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say again, Rejoice!"--Phillipians 4:4
"No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."--Robin Williams, Dead Poets Society
Cogito, ergo sum Ravenclaw
Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old November 12th, 2015, 3:57 am
pumpkinpuff  Female.gif pumpkinpuff is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3017 days
Location: southern CA
Posts: 63
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

I read the Entertainment Weekly article, and I'm intrigued. It looks very interesting just from the sets and costumes. I like the 1920s anyway. I hope the story is good.


__________________
Happy to be a Hufflepuff! Or as they say in French, Poufsouffle!

Maple with unicorn core, 11 and a quarter inches, slightly springy!
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old December 15th, 2015, 3:47 pm
MrSleepyHead's Avatar
MrSleepyHead  Male.gif MrSleepyHead is offline
Snidget of Champions
 
Joined: 5227 days
Location: Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Posts: 3,158
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Looks like we have our first trailer!

Not much is going on, and I'm not sure this teaser is for anyone but the HP fans. If it weren't the wizarding world, I'd probably be questioning the plot a little bit, and why everything is so dire!


__________________


A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old December 15th, 2015, 7:39 pm
twinsrule26's Avatar
twinsrule26  Male.gif twinsrule26 is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 5381 days
Location: In an Island Paradise
Age: 60
Posts: 1,989
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

looks good, I like the costumes


__________________
YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT
SOME DAYS YOU'RE THE PIGEON!
AND SOME DAYS
YOU'RE THE STATUE!



Sorted
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old December 30th, 2015, 11:11 pm
Liselle's Avatar
Liselle  Female.gif Liselle is offline
Knower of things
 
Joined: 5988 days
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,565
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

I'm in two minds about this. I'm torn between wanting more Potterverse and realising the text as we know it is Canon but then I'm also oaf the view thinking that the movie isn't canon per-se given its only based on a book that's canon.......


__________________
“Perhaps that is the secret. It is not what we do, so much as why we do it.”
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old December 31st, 2015, 12:53 am
snapes_witch's Avatar
snapes_witch  Female.gif snapes_witch is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5114 days
Location: afternoon tea at Granny's
Posts: 2,973
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
I'm in two minds about this. I'm torn between wanting more Potterverse and realising the text as we know it is Canon but then I'm also oaf the view thinking that the movie isn't canon per-se given its only based on a book that's canon.......
The movie plot's only connection to Harry's textbook is the author, Newt Scamandor.

JKR's saying the movie is canon because she's writing the screen play. Same with Cursed Child.


__________________

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old January 14th, 2016, 1:08 pm
HMN's Avatar
HMN  Female.gif HMN is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 5205 days
Location: in denial
Posts: 2,163
Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Looks like we have our first trailer!

Not much is going on, and I'm not sure this teaser is for anyone but the HP fans. If it weren't the wizarding world, I'd probably be questioning the plot a little bit, and why everything is so dire!
I got to see the trailer before the new Star Wars movie. All the great things in one place! I love Eddie Redmayne. I think this one will be fun, silly but fun.


__________________
is totally awesome!
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 8:07 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.