Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Old October 20th, 2014, 4:34 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman View Post
If they are going to do spinoff stuff, I hope JKR writes some source material for it.
I wish she'd put out books for this stuff before the movies come out! Esp if it will be an ongoing spinoff series.

Old November 10th, 2014, 8:44 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I wish she'd put out books for this stuff before the movies come out! Esp if it will be an ongoing spinoff series.
Yep, agreed!

For me, it all comes down to whether or not she is okay with leaving up the cannon of the wizarding world to someone else. My guess is no, at least not right now.

As far as spinoffs go, I wonder what they are thinking? My ultimate hope is that we get something beyond the Harry years. I've heard rumblings of a television series (in the way of a Series of Unfortunate Events kind of deal), and I wonder if that wouldn't be about Harry's children. I'd prefer to stay away from his lineage, but I'm okay with it if it means getting a glimpse of what the future looks like.

Two of the oddest men you would ever meet.

Supporter of splitting at shell cottage after Dobby's Heroic death.
Old January 20th, 2015, 1:22 pm
First Year

I can't wait for this. I've been lurking these forums for ten years, and now I'm going to make my own site for this new trilogy. EXCITEMENT.

Link in sig:

Old May 27th, 2015, 7:27 pm
Third Year

Sounds like we are finally learning some stuff about this movie. Apparently there are characters named Jacob, Tina, and Queenie, with several actresses competing for the latter two roles.

“But that’s – I’m sorry, but that’s completely ridiculous! How can I possibly prove it doesn’t exist? Do you expect me to get hold of – of all the pebbles in the world and test them? I mean, you could claim that anything’s real if the only basis for believing in it is that nobody’s proved it doesn’t exist!” [DH 21]
Old June 17th, 2015, 3:44 pm
Fourth Year

Any thoughts on who the bad guy will be, if any? I had a friend suggest that it might be Grindelwald, but I'm not sure I'm on board with that. Since Newt is a researcher, it might be interesting if it's not all wand explosions and battles and more of an investigation into the wider wizarding world and the actual creatures...maybe the villain could be a rival researcher or something?

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling

Last edited by houseelf25; June 17th, 2015 at 3:47 pm.
Old June 19th, 2015, 4:22 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

We might even get a protagonist who isn't odious.

Old June 26th, 2015, 2:15 pm
First Year

I wasn't sure where to put this, but since it is a new project I thought I would put it here.

I just saw where the new Harry Potter play is going to be in London next summer! It is called "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child"! Even though I will not be able to go there to see it, it is still very exciting. Here is the site announcement: http://www.harrypottertheplaylondon.com/

Wand: Laurel with unicorn core, twelve and a quarter inches, slightly springy

House: Hufflepuff

Ilvermorny House: Pukwudgie
Old June 28th, 2015, 6:28 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseelf25 View Post
Any thoughts on who the bad guy will be, if any? I had a friend suggest that it might be Grindelwald, but I'm not sure I'm on board with that. Since Newt is a researcher, it might be interesting if it's not all wand explosions and battles and more of an investigation into the wider wizarding world and the actual creatures...maybe the villain could be a rival researcher or something?
I'm looking forward to a hint of the plot. Right now, we're excited for the film because it's written by JKR and set in the wizarding world she created in Harry Potter. At some point, this film needs to sell itself as its own film with intriguing characters and plot. With the 2016 release date and JKR's apparent hope for the film to stand on its own feet, I think the time is ripe for more details that allow us to anticipate the film on its own merit. Therefore, will it be a good vs. evil, wizard v. Muggle, researcher v. researcher, self discovery, etc. story? I'm not sure, but I'm finding it difficult to stay excited about this project simply because it's related to Harry Potter.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old July 20th, 2015, 7:25 am
Third Year

It's fun seeing all the pictures of people lining up to audition for roles in the film.

Sort of funny that amongst Harry Potter's most hardcore fans this series hasn't generated a ton of buzz. I think this is going to be a really cool addition to the lore of the series and I'm really hyped for it, especially because we know JKR won't do something to hurt the series and an awesome cast is already in place.

Two of the oddest men you would ever meet.

Supporter of splitting at shell cottage after Dobby's Heroic death.
Old August 17th, 2015, 3:01 pm
Snidget of Champions

It looks like filming started today (August 17) at Leavesden!

Official press release:
Official press release:    

FILMING GETS UNDERWAY ON
“FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM”
Much-anticipated new film, written by wizarding world creator J.K. Rowling
and being directed by David Yates, starts production in England
BURBANK, CA – August 17, 2015 – Principal photography has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures’ highly anticipated feature “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.” The all new adventure is set in the wizarding world created by J.K. Rowling in her best-selling Harry Potterbooks, which were adapted into the highest-grossing film franchise of all time.
Filming started today, August 17, at Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden, under the direction of David Yates, who helmed the last four “Harry Potter” feature films.
Academy Award winner Eddie Redmayne (“The Theory of Everything”) stars as Newt Scamander, the wizarding world’s preeminent magizoologist, who stops in New York following his travels to find and document magical creatures.
“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” also stars Katherine Waterston (“Inherent Vice”) as Tina; Alison Sudol (“Dig,” “Transparent”) as Tina’s sister, Queenie; Tony Award winner Dan Fogler (“The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee”) as Jacob; Ezra Miller (“Trainwreck”) as Credence; two-time Oscar nominee Samantha Morton (“In America,” “Sweet and Lowdown”) as Mary Lou; Jenn Murray (“Brooklyn”) as Chastity; young newcomer Faith Wood-Blagrove as Modesty; and Colin Farrell (“True Detective”) as Graves.
Marking the screenwriting debut of J.K. Rowling, the script was inspired by her character Newt Scamander’s Hogwarts textbook, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
The film is being produced by David Heyman, producer of all eight of the blockbuster “Harry Potter” features; J.K. Rowling; Steve Kloves; and Lionel Wigram.
Collaborating with Yates behind the scenes are: Oscar-winning director of photography Philippe Rousselot (“A River Runs Through It,” the “Sherlock Holmes” movies), three-time Oscar-winning production designer Stuart Craig (“The English Patient,” “Dangerous Liaisons,” “Gandhi,” the “Harry Potter” films), three-time Oscar-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood (“Chicago,” “Memoirs of a Geisha,” “Alice in Wonderland”), Oscar-winning visual effects supervisor Tim Burke (“Gladiator,” the “Harry Potter” films), Oscar-nominated visual effects supervisor Christian Manz (“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1”), and Yates’ longtime editor Mark Day (the last four “Harry Potter” films).
Warner Bros. Pictures has slated “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” for worldwide release in 3D and IMAX on November 18, 2016.

And interesting point, BenGerman: I will say it's a bit strange to see how little the Potter fans seem to be flocking towards this. Perhaps it's caution/uncertainty, but also just how the fandom (and its fans) has changed and aged. I expect a bit more excitement as filming picks up.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old August 19th, 2015, 5:06 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
It looks like filming started today (August 17) at Leavesden!

Official press release:
Official press release:    

FILMING GETS UNDERWAY ON
“FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM”
Much-anticipated new film, written by wizarding world creator J.K. Rowling
and being directed by David Yates, starts production in England
BURBANK, CA – August 17, 2015 – Principal photography has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures’ highly anticipated feature “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.” The all new adventure is set in the wizarding world created by J.K. Rowling in her best-selling Harry Potterbooks, which were adapted into the highest-grossing film franchise of all time.
Filming started today, August 17, at Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden, under the direction of David Yates, who helmed the last four “Harry Potter” feature films.
Academy Award winner Eddie Redmayne (“The Theory of Everything”) stars as Newt Scamander, the wizarding world’s preeminent magizoologist, who stops in New York following his travels to find and document magical creatures.
“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” also stars Katherine Waterston (“Inherent Vice”) as Tina; Alison Sudol (“Dig,” “Transparent”) as Tina’s sister, Queenie; Tony Award winner Dan Fogler (“The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee”) as Jacob; Ezra Miller (“Trainwreck”) as Credence; two-time Oscar nominee Samantha Morton (“In America,” “Sweet and Lowdown”) as Mary Lou; Jenn Murray (“Brooklyn”) as Chastity; young newcomer Faith Wood-Blagrove as Modesty; and Colin Farrell (“True Detective”) as Graves.
Marking the screenwriting debut of J.K. Rowling, the script was inspired by her character Newt Scamander’s Hogwarts textbook, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
The film is being produced by David Heyman, producer of all eight of the blockbuster “Harry Potter” features; J.K. Rowling; Steve Kloves; and Lionel Wigram.
Collaborating with Yates behind the scenes are: Oscar-winning director of photography Philippe Rousselot (“A River Runs Through It,” the “Sherlock Holmes” movies), three-time Oscar-winning production designer Stuart Craig (“The English Patient,” “Dangerous Liaisons,” “Gandhi,” the “Harry Potter” films), three-time Oscar-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood (“Chicago,” “Memoirs of a Geisha,” “Alice in Wonderland”), Oscar-winning visual effects supervisor Tim Burke (“Gladiator,” the “Harry Potter” films), Oscar-nominated visual effects supervisor Christian Manz (“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1”), and Yates’ longtime editor Mark Day (the last four “Harry Potter” films).
Warner Bros. Pictures has slated “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” for worldwide release in 3D and IMAX on November 18, 2016.

Spoiler: show
Interesting choice with Eddie Redmayne. At least we know the main character will be portrayed by an excellent actor.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old August 20th, 2015, 3:49 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Spoiler: show
Interesting choice with Eddie Redmayne. At least we know the main character will be portrayed by an excellent actor.
This film seems to have a decent amount of 'star power'; itwill be interesting to have a wizarding world film with a protagonist portrayed by someone known well outside of the series (as opposed to the child actors who grew with the original series). I have yet to see anything by 'Newt,' though, so perhaps it won't have that outsider effect on me.

As always, I have a hard time nowadays receiving Potter information from JKR's Twitter, and I'm again reminded of one reason why it's frustrating: contradictions seem to arise more often. In the original press release for Fantastic Beasts, the film is categorized as "neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world." Now, JKR says this on Twitter:
@jk_rowling, Twitter, 8/17/2015#FantasticBeasts: prequel.

#CursedChild: NOT a prequel.

Simple!*

*I'll be repeating this daily for months.

Not sure how this will be considered a prequel, nor what JKR means by "prequel" any more. As I see it, the original synopsis of "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" seemed more prequel-y than Fantastic Beasts (the former being directly about Harry's time with the Dursleys - "explore the previously untold story of Harry’s early years as an orphan and outcast" -, the latter a seemingly unassociated story about a distant character's adventures in a rather unrelated land).

WalnutFirebolt138
Old November 7th, 2015, 12:44 am
Snidget of Champions

Where is everybody? We get our first substantial look at Fantastic Beasts, and I half-expect to see meesha, MasterOfDeath, lcbaseball.... I can't do an All-Inclusive list, but I'll at least jump start this thread with the logo and first images from the set.

This week we got the logo, American word for non-magical folk, some photos, and quite a bit of background about the story. Check out the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly for all the details, but it's all welcome news. I was getting a bit concerned that we hadn't heard anything being only a little over a year out from the release date.
Entertainment Weekly pictures:    

It looks and sounds interesting. I can definitely see Redmayne as a wizard, and the premise definitely seems exciting enough to make a watchable film. I'm a bit wary of the plot as presented by EW: it seems like it could turn into a rather Hollywood, contrived ride. But I have faith in JKR and the rest of the crew that it will exceed a bare bones plot summary.

WalnutFirebolt138
Old November 7th, 2015, 1:47 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
It looks and sounds interesting. I can definitely see Redmayne as a wizard, and the premise definitely seems exciting enough to make a watchable film. I'm a bit wary of the plot as presented by EW: it seems like it could turn into a rather Hollywood, contrived ride. But I have faith in JKR and the rest of the crew that it will exceed a bare bones plot summary.
I agree it looks interesting (although I'm not sure about the MACUSA, I always envisioned a Secretary of Sorcery heading up the Department of Sorcery/Magic, since that's more in line with other US administrative divisions...oh well, that's why Jo is in charge of her creation and I'm not...). Redmayne looks great. I haven't seen the plot summary, although I did read a bit about the beasts that are expected in the movie (don't have a link, sorry). Not sure how the story will go, but I haven't seen anything that turns me negative yet.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old November 12th, 2015, 3:57 am
First Year

I read the Entertainment Weekly article, and I'm intrigued. It looks very interesting just from the sets and costumes. I like the 1920s anyway. I hope the story is good.

Maple with unicorn core, 11 and a quarter inches, slightly springy!
Old December 15th, 2015, 3:47 pm
Snidget of Champions

Looks like we have our first trailer!

Not much is going on, and I'm not sure this teaser is for anyone but the HP fans. If it weren't the wizarding world, I'd probably be questioning the plot a little bit, and why everything is so dire!

WalnutFirebolt138
Old December 15th, 2015, 7:39 pm

looks good, I like the costumes

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old December 30th, 2015, 11:11 pm
Knower of things

I'm in two minds about this. I'm torn between wanting more Potterverse and realising the text as we know it is Canon but then I'm also oaf the view thinking that the movie isn't canon per-se given its only based on a book that's canon.......

Old December 31st, 2015, 12:53 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
I'm in two minds about this. I'm torn between wanting more Potterverse and realising the text as we know it is Canon but then I'm also oaf the view thinking that the movie isn't canon per-se given its only based on a book that's canon.......
The movie plot's only connection to Harry's textbook is the author, Newt Scamandor.

JKR's saying the movie is canon because she's writing the screen play. Same with Cursed Child.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old January 14th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Quote:
Looks like we have our first trailer!

Not much is going on, and I'm not sure this teaser is for anyone but the HP fans. If it weren't the wizarding world, I'd probably be questioning the plot a little bit, and why everything is so dire!
I got to see the trailer before the new Star Wars movie. All the great things in one place! I love Eddie Redmayne. I think this one will be fun, silly but fun.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies