Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

A Possible Voldemort Takeover of Hogwarts

Old November 27th, 2006, 4:51 pm
Second Year

Re: A Possible Voldemort Takeover of Hogwarts

I believe that this is a strong possibility. After all he is a "Lord", and lords live in Castle's. Right now we have no idea if Voldemort consider's any place home, or ever did besides Hogwart's, just like Harry. The spells and enchantments over the castle have to be very inticing for him, as well as the knowledge still contained within the walls. If there is one thing besides power that Voldemort thirsts for it is knowledge. He knows more then every other wizard, except for maybe DD. I'm sure Voldemort would love to return to his "home" where he could rule and run havoc throughout the world.

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:23 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I'd have to agree with Alora_Piere that Voldemort may try to take over Hogwarts, but even if he succeeds (which I'm not so sure he will), I don't think he'd use it as his lair. Though Hogwarts does have special significance for him, I tend to think Voldemort would choose somewhere more secretive for his base of operations (since if he takes over Hogwarts and uses it as his lair, everyone would know about it). I also believe there are anti-dark wizard spells put on Hogwarts as protection, so any attempt Voldemort might make to take over Hogwarts would prove difficult.
I agree too, I've always thought that he might try and do that, it's in his nature and there is much for him to try and tap from the school itself... I tend to think that he might somehow be either the last DADA teacher or Transfiguration teacher...

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old April 4th, 2007, 9:52 pm
First Year

Voldemort takes over Hogwarts?

Hey fellow Harry Potter fans. I am from England, United Kingdom and i have some American copies of the book. Whilst reading Philosopher's Stone on page 55 it states:

"Reckon Dumbledores the only one You-Know-Who was afraid of. Didn't dare try takin the school, not jus' then, anyway." - Hagrid

This would be so awesome. I feel that the icey Hogwarts will have something to do this this. Maybe Voldemort has Dementors guarding the place. I also feel Voldemort will blackmail Harry, perhaps something like bring me all the Horcruxes and i will not kill your friends, and Malfoy might come into play with this. In Chamber of Secrets Malfoy taunts Harry about Ginny. Malfoy, if not good, might tell Voldemort about this.

It would be spectacular if Voldemort and Harry did battle at Hogwarts at some early point of the book.

I have always imagned before Order of the Phoenix came out about a battle in Hogwarts. That would be spectacular. Does anyone agree? Please post your comments.

Old April 4th, 2007, 10:31 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Voldemort takes over Hogwarts?

I do believe that Hogwarts is still the place where Lord Voldemort wants to settle, but is there time?

Old April 5th, 2007, 3:40 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

Firstly, Hogwart's is a castle, which is the ultimate defensive weapon. It is an impregnable fortress, that traditionally took months to defeat. Hogwarts, when properly imbued with spells, is just as impregnable, save the secret passages.

This is one of the reasons I think Voldemort has gotten hold of a copy of the Marauder's Map, or had either Mad-Eye Barty or Wormtail make him one. It is his intent to infiltrate Hogwart's and take it over.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old April 5th, 2007, 5:49 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
I'd have to agree with Alora_Piere that Voldemort may try to take over Hogwarts, but even if he succeeds (which I'm not so sure he will), I don't think he'd use it as his lair. Though Hogwarts does have special significance for him, I tend to think Voldemort would choose somewhere more secretive for his base of operations (since if he takes over Hogwarts and uses it as his lair, everyone would know about it). I also believe there are anti-dark wizard spells put on Hogwarts as protection, so any attempt Voldemort might make to take over Hogwarts would prove difficult.
I have to say I agree with your view. And Dumbledore's still there at Hogwarts -- is it possible he foresaw that Voldemort would try to take over the school, and that his being buried on the grounds affords some type of disadvantage for Voldemort's being there (or an advantage to Harry)?

....I miss David Tennant....
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:06 am
Second Year

no ******** way!! Hogwarts is the fort of good and will remain that way!

Old April 5th, 2007, 12:08 pm
Second Year

, judging from previous Harry Potter books, (In particular Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince) I would say that there is a possibility that Voldemort could take over Hogwarts. I have a feeling that Harry will return to Hogwarts and the chances that the final battle will take place there aren't too unlikey either...
Although, however much we know that Voldemort like Hogwarts and would even more so like to take over, even he can't deny that taking over Hogwarts will be a difficult job. (Notice I didn't use the word love, because apparently, Voldemort doesn't "love ")
Now I do think that he will try, but, to the people saying that Hogwarts is now completely unprotected: Think again... Do we recall a part in the Harry Potter books, (in Order Of the Phoniex I think) where we learn that Sirus' father died, but before he did, he put all sorts of spells and enchantments (One of them being that the house is unplott-able on any map) on the house to protect it?
I think we do, but here's the interesting part: Sirus' Father died, but the house remained unplott-able, the house was still enchanted with all the spells and charms that had once long ago been placed upon it... Yes, Albus Dumbledore did ADD to the original protections, but a lot of it was placed by Sirus' dad. Therefore wouldn't it be right to say that although Dumbledore is now dead, the protection that he put upon Hogwarts will still work? Just because he died, does that neccessarily mean that the spells and his magic died with him?

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers
Old April 5th, 2007, 8:04 pm
Sixth Year

I think that as long as Voldemort is still operating mostly by stealth Hogwarts is safe. As a matter of fact, I think that, given that it's a castle and far better defended than anywhere else in England, I think it will become an actual fortress instead of a school for most of the remainer of the war.

However, Voldemort is not planning to simply cause terror and mayhem. He wants to take over England and eventually the rest of the world. At some point, he is going to need to declare himself openly and establish himself as a ruler instead of the leader of a terrorist guerilla force. And when he does that, Hogwarts seems like exactly the kind of place he'd establish himself in. It's defended certainly, and he has a connection to the place, and it has a great deal of history, but all that is secondary: it's main value is that it's symbolic. It's the heart of the wizarding community. To quote The Thirteenth Warrior, "Wars are won in the will. Strike the will." When Voldemort is sitting in Hogwarts commanding his army of death eaters and who knows what else, and noone has the power to dislodge him, everyone will know it's over. At some point I'm positive he'll try to take the school, towards the end of the book as his plans finally come to fruition.

Harry loses it again.
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:11 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlPatronus View Post
When Voldemort is sitting in Hogwarts commanding his army of death eaters and who knows what else, and noone has the power to dislodge him, everyone will know it's over. At some point I'm positive he'll try to take the school, towards the end of the book as his plans finally come to fruition.
Interesting viewpoint. Incidentally, when you say "no one has the power to dislodge him", I assume you mean no one other than Harry......

....I miss David Tennant....
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:30 am
First Year

Quote:
It doesn't seem that there are any anti-dark protective spells on Hogwarts, seeing as how Voldemort came in after he had already become dark, so did all the DEs last year, as well as Draco, if he is truly bad. I also believe there will be a significant amount of action at Hogwarts, possibly even school, because in a quote, the one in which JK tells us about the epilogue, she explains that it will detail their lives after they leave school. This could mean after they leave school after the final battle, but the US cover seems to indicate a final battle in some other place.

Quote:
When Voldemort is sitting in Hogwarts commanding his army of death eaters and who knows what else, and noone has the power to dislodge him, everyone will know it's over. At some point I'm positive he'll try to take the school, towards the end of the book as his plans finally come to fruition.
This is intriguing, explaining how the final battle could be there, but I think he would meet resistance there, in the form of Harry, the rest of the trio and possibly the Order. The welcoming light coming out of the castle on the back of the UK Children version does appear to indicate that Hogwarts is safe for most of the book.

"Sin wouldn't be so popular if its wages were paid immediately." -Anonymous-

"All gave some. Some gave all. Some are still giving. SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!"

~God Bless~
Old April 6th, 2007, 2:04 am
Squee-worthy

Quote:
I think that as long as Voldemort is still operating mostly by stealth Hogwarts is safe. As a matter of fact, I think that, given that it's a castle and far better defended than anywhere else in England, I think it will become an actual fortress instead of a school for most of the remainer of the war.
Voldemort and the Death Eaters are going to be out in the open fairly early on in Deathly Hallows. Dumbledore is gone, and Voldemort does not fear the Ministry, nothing is holding him back now from coming out in full force. I don't think it is a question if Voldemort is going to take over Hogwarts. Hagrid mentions to Harry the first time he ever meets him in PS/SS that Voldemort never attempted to take over Hogwarts, although this was early on, we know that it was because of Dumbledore, and with Dumbledore gone, what is stopping Voldemort and his "army" from attacking the castle? Just when will he do it, and will he be successful are the questions we should be asking.

Old April 6th, 2007, 2:10 am
First Year

I'm not so sure if Voldmorte would use Hogwarts either as his lair or a school for the Dark Arts. It would be to out in the open for him. Hogwarts is right near the only entirely wizard town in Britain and tons of secret passage ways lead there. It would be to risky, even for him.

Old April 6th, 2007, 4:38 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Godric View Post
Voldemort and the Death Eaters are going to be out in the open fairly early on in Deathly Hallows. Dumbledore is gone, and Voldemort does not fear the Ministry, nothing is holding him back now from coming out in full force. I don't think it is a question if Voldemort is going to take over Hogwarts. Hagrid mentions to Harry the first time he ever meets him in PS/SS that Voldemort never attempted to take over Hogwarts, although this was early on, we know that it was because of Dumbledore, and with Dumbledore gone, what is stopping Voldemort and his "army" from attacking the castle? Just when will he do it, and will he be successful are the questions we should be asking.
That's pretty much what I think, although for the sake of dramatic timing I think that Voldemort coming into the open and gaining more and more overt power is going to form the backdrop for Harry's Horcrux quest, leading to a final confrontation at the castle. If Harry ends up out of contact long enough, he may even return to find England almost completely under Voldie's control except for Hogwarts and some decent sized surrounding area. Nice dramatic shock. Then you can have the final confrontation.

That's actually what I thought the US cover showed: Voldie and his army have finally blown down the main door to the great hall (the rubble and "open ceiling" with columned walls) and Harry challenged Voldemort to a one on one duel because the order is probably going to lose a straight fight. Being the madman he is, Voldemort accepts, and he gets zorched good and proper this time.

Harry loses it again.
Old May 8th, 2007, 6:01 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Since it is my opinion that DD knew he was going to die...
I believe that he would have made sure that Hogwarts was still protected by a lot of magic, maybe that was part of the reason he wanted to be burried there...
His concern for the students was one of the most important things to him, he wouldn't have left Hogwarts unprotected.
So, even if LV tried to attack Hogwarts, DD's magic would keep him away.
Besides, I think LV is going to have Harry on his mind and not waste his time with Hogwarts. (I also don't think Harry is going back to Hogwarts)

Old May 8th, 2007, 7:16 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Godric
Hagrid mentions to Harry the first time he ever meets him in PS/SS that Voldemort never attempted to take over Hogwarts, although this was early on, we know that it was because of Dumbledore, and with Dumbledore gone, what is stopping Voldemort and his "army" from attacking the castle? Just when will he do it, and will he be successful are the questions we should be asking.
I agree. I think it is only a matter of time before Voldemort storms the castle. Hogwarts was a very special to place to him and it's a huge storehouse of magic. It is also a symbol of power, even more so than the MoM.

Prophecy 2007!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

Old May 8th, 2007, 7:41 am
Second Year

I'm not sure how much a takeover of hogwarts would benefit Voldemort. Would he simply hold the children as hostages? It wouldn't serve much purpose outside of being symbolic of power.

Old May 8th, 2007, 9:14 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasfres
I'm not sure how much a takeover of hogwarts would benefit Voldemort. Would he simply hold the children as hostages? It wouldn't serve much purpose outside of being symbolic of power.
He could force the Wizards to do anything, with the horror that if they don't agree with him, he will kill their children at Hogwarts.
I don't really know if he'll try it, I think it's pretty well protected, but now that Dumbledore is gone, anything's possible. I see both sides to it, so I don't know...

Old May 11th, 2007, 5:43 am
Third Year

I always found it interesting that in PS, when Hagrid comes to the island to get Harry and give him his letter and explain about him being a wizard, he says "One o' the only safe places left was Hogwarts...... Didn't dare try takin' the school, not jus' then, anyway". Hmmmmm- is this a clue that now that Dumbledore is gone, the only wizard Voldemort was afraid of, that V will attempt a takeover? I think without DD, we will see Voldie and the DE's really cause some problems. Besides, JKR made the statement that Voldemort will get leg room in DH. Whether he is sucessful is another story which is where, imo, Dumbledore's army members will have opportunity to shine.

JOHN 5:24
Proud owner of EXCEEDS EXPECTATION in WOMBAT#2
Quote: "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." Albus Dumbledore

People who have not been in Narnia sometimes think that a thing cannot be good and terrible at the same time.

The giant squid's favorite snack is folks who spoil!
Join the ASAtoday and help preventspoilers!.
Old May 17th, 2007, 5:13 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Okay so as I am starting to reread the books I just noticed this in PS/SS. It kind of got my wheels spinning a bit. I didn't really buy the whole takeover of Hogwarts thing as I assumed DD would have had a backup plan for it being proteced. But, then I read this:
Quote:
...."One o' the only safe places left was Hogwarts. Reckon Dumbledore's the only one You-Know-Who was afraid of. Didn't dare try takin' the school, not jus' then, anyway.(SS, 73)
Ahhhhh! We know that DD is gone and so even if he did set up magical enchanments protecting the school, LV has no reason to not go there. What if he tries to go after GG's sword, or just wants to take over the school. Is the last line of the quote forshadowing to a possible future takeover? I mean I don't know of any time the LV had tried to take over the school...
What do you guys think?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies