Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Ultimate Film Collection Editions etc

Old July 13th, 2010, 8:17 am
Zonko's Employee

Re: Ultimate Film Collection Editions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilleby View Post
Where does this come from?
What have they not done to make the movies fit into the filmseries? The underrated new Hogwarts was completely done by Stuart Craig. Caurón had nothing to do with that.
I Newell said no immediately, but Caurón couldn't direct the fourth one, since Prisoner's post-production overlapped with the filming of Goblet...
Well, I could tell that POA and GOF felt more like stand alone movies. SS,COS,OOTP and HBP just feel more like an on-going series.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:11 am
Second Year

The only explanation is lack of consent from the directors or the directors are happy with the cuts of the films as it.

It's not a deal breaker for me. I watched Azkaban for the first time in a long time last night(3 years?) and that film is just as complete as ever. Goblet of Fire, I'm wishy washy on.

Phoenix is the one I'd be really bummed out if it didn't get extended for its release in June 2011.

Old July 13th, 2010, 11:14 am
Third Year

To me this is very poor judgement on WB's part, I hope that the sales figures don't suffer to such an extent that they don't continue with the Ultimate Editions.

CONSTANT VIGILANCE,If It Has To Come To Force,Then It Will
You Have To Be Prepared For What Your Up Against!!
What Are Your Strengths?
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:45 am
Sixth Year

This is still bugging me out. I hope this guy isn't legitimate.

“These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!”
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:48 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Cauron and Newell don't really seem to care about the HP franchise as a series, as much as Columbus and Yates do anyway. After all, Yates and Columbus were the only directors willing to commit to more than one film and have both tried to make their films fit into the series. So it might be an artistic case. I'm not sure. Not wanting to put more work into the films or not having enough time might explain why we won't get even more extended versions, but IMO it doesn't explain why they don't just include the ABC Family version.
How do you know they don't care about the series? Why does quantity count? A director who makes one great film in a franchise might care more about the world and characters than a director who makes 5 bad films and puts no effort into his work. We have no right to come up with assumptions as to who cares most etc, but it seems to me like all of them enjoyed working on Potter at least. But it's probably hard work and if you have no passion left for directing another one (or want to spend more time with the family, are sick of blue-screens or want to move on to something else), it's better to hand it over to someone who are willing to do it. That shows that a director care about the franchise.

The saga needed fresh air after Columbus left. Heyman knew that each film must be feel like a different experience for the audience. I would say that Cuarón cared about the series for that very reason he took a different approach on it (which Newell and Yates continued on) and made a personal and mature film. Just like the books, the unique thing about this film series is that we follow some innocent and brave kids and see how they evolve throughout the years.

It's naturally disappointing that there won't be any extended editions for PoA and GoF, but I probably wouldn't have purchased them anyway if they had just put in the deleted scenes. I don't think we should blame the directors, I begin to question whether those other scenes really exist or will be released.

Last edited by Noldus; July 13th, 2010 at 12:18 pm.
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:56 am
Sixth Year

Okay everyone below is the link to the WB customer service. Please email them with your disappointment of the Extended Editions not being included in the new Ultimate Editions. Maybe if we get enough people to email, we could make a difference.
http://www.warnerbros.com/main/help/...r_service.html

“These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!”
Old July 13th, 2010, 1:35 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack5555 View Post
Okay everyone below is the link to the WB customer service. Please email them with your disappointment of the Extended Editions not being included in the new Ultimate Editions. Maybe if we get enough people to email, we could make a difference.
I sent them an email, also asking why they weren't including one. Hopefully I'll get a clear response.

Old July 13th, 2010, 1:57 pm
Second Year

Updated specs and hi-res artwork. http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.u...n-october.html

The sets are loaded, especially Disc Two with EPK featurettes I've personally never seen before. Goblet of Fire gets an In-Movie Experience. Prisoner of Azkaban does not. It also, although not clarified in the link, that both films will have DTS-HD Master Audio instead of the PCM tracks they had before.

Still getting these. Lots and lots of goodies, I think in these sets...even without the extended cuts.

Old July 13th, 2010, 2:13 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post
Still getting these. Lots and lots of goodies, I think in these sets...even without the extended cuts.
I probably would as well, but I'm in the UK and am content to wait at the moment, I quite like to watching special features its quite nice to see why they did this rather than that etc,etc. These documentries are what WB's is most interested promoting and a certain amount of people would watch them, but how many people would buy these Ultimate Editions just on that basis? remember this is a premium product, they have give the people what they want, if the want them to spend their money.

CONSTANT VIGILANCE,If It Has To Come To Force,Then It Will
You Have To Be Prepared For What Your Up Against!!
What Are Your Strengths?
Old July 13th, 2010, 2:15 pm
Banned

Yeah well I'm not wasting my money on them. No extended editions = No sale. End of story.

Old July 13th, 2010, 2:26 pm
Second Year

I'm buying them based solely on the retrospective documentary. WB has been skimming Potter since the beginning when it comes to the actual making of these films. To finally see them come around on it with this long documentary, for me, is a treat.

And remember, we still have no clue what will be in store for the DVDs/Blu Rays of Deathly Hallows.

When it's all said and done, these Ultimate Editions will be 95% definitive.

As an aside, I personally think we'll get extended editions for Phoenix and Prince, which would make not having extended editions for these two even more baffling.

Old July 13th, 2010, 5:46 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
How do you know they don't care about the series? Why does quantity count? A director who makes one great film in a franchise might care more about the world and characters than a director who makes 5 bad films and puts no effort into his work. We have no right to come up with assumptions as to who cares most etc, but it seems to me like all of them enjoyed working on Potter at least. But it's probably hard work and if you have no passion left for directing another one (or want to spend more time with the family, are sick of blue-screens or want to move on to something else), it's better to hand it over to someone who are willing to do it. That shows that a director care about the franchise.
There's an interview where Cuarón says that he regrets doing the Harry Potter movie

I don't know if this has something to do with the directors, don't know if they have like THAT power... I sort of think that this a Warner thing

"You said to us once before that there was time to turn
back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"
Old July 13th, 2010, 6:15 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack5555 View Post
I just sent my email.

Old July 13th, 2010, 6:56 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post
Updated specs and hi-res artwork. http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.u...n-october.html

The sets are loaded, especially Disc Two with EPK featurettes I've personally never seen before. Goblet of Fire gets an In-Movie Experience. Prisoner of Azkaban does not. It also, although not clarified in the link, that both films will have DTS-HD Master Audio instead of the PCM tracks they had before.

so i guess its confirmed? there's definitely only 3 discs with these. I just don't understand how WB could do this to us. After we've stuck with these films for so long... I think the fans DESERVE dvd sets catered entirely to us, including extended editions that only fans would appreciate.

I'm not buying without the extended editions.

Old July 13th, 2010, 7:36 pm
Sixth Year

Well, on the SS UE Blu-ray, it just says "The Movie" on the disc when it includes the Extended Edition as well. Let's just hope and pray when we see a picture of the DVD version, there are 4 discs.

Old July 13th, 2010, 11:12 pm
Third Year

You're right, so maybe there's still some hope. I still wrote a very stern letter to WB, haha.

Old July 13th, 2010, 11:16 pm
Zonko's Employee

Hold on, is everyone thinking just because there are 3 discs and not four there is no extended edition??

The other Ultimate editions had 3 discs as well. One disc with both versions of the movie on it (theatrical and extended), the second disc had the documentary on it with a few other extras and the third disc was the extras from the older DVD release.

I only have the Blu-Ray but I'm sure it's the same with the DVD...or is it?

Old July 13th, 2010, 11:20 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Hold on, is everyone thinking just because there are 3 discs and not four there is no extended edition??

The other Ultimate editions had 3 discs as well. One disc with both versions of the movie on it (theatrical and extended), the second disc had the documentary on it with a few other extras and the third disc was the extras from the older DVD release.

I only have the Blu-Ray but I'm sure it's the same with the DVD...or is it?
No, I have the DVD and there are 4 discs. One disc has the theatrical version and another has the extended version. The other two discs are the same as the Blu-Ray version.

Old memories seldom fade
And bad habits die hard...
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:20 pm
Too... Much... Fangirling...

The DVD versions for PS and CoS had 4 discs.

I still think that it is possible there is an EE, but I'm not holding my breath

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:21 pm
Zonko's Employee

Maybe this person was reviewing the Blu-Ray version which only has 3 discs?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies