Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Book Seven: The Final Battle and The Final Chapter

Old June 24th, 2003, 2:53 am
First Year

The Climax of the Harry Potter Series: The Final Battle and The Final Chapter

We have a long time to go until Book 7. Around 3-5 years I would say. However, with OOTP out and little information on book six, I thought it would be interesting to speculate on the several things that are certain .

The last word of book 7 is SCAR.

JEREMY PAXMAN: So you know what is going to become of all the major characters over the span of the series?

JK ROWLING: Yeah..yeah.

JEREMY PAXMAN: Why stop when they grow up? Might be interesting to know what becomes of Harry as an adult.

JK ROWLING: How do you know he'll still be alive?

JEREMY PAXMAN: Oh. At the end of book 7?

JK ROWLING: It would be one way to kill of the merchandising.

-----------------
JEREMY PAXMAN: We know that you've written the ending.

JK ROWLING: I've written the final chapter of book seven.

JEREMY PAXMAN: So you know where you are going to get to. Do you know how you are going to get there?

JK ROWLING: Yes. Yes. I mean I allow a margin. It would be so boring if I really knew. It would be joining the dots, wouldn't it? It's not that well worked out. But it's fairly well plotted. I mean it would be worrying if it weren't at this stage, wouldn't it, if I slid off book five and wondered what shall I write out in book six?. You know, it's a complicated story so I need to know what I'm doing.

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches… born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies … and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have
power the Dark Lord knows not … and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives … the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies …'

A number of conclusions can be made from this.

1)The final battle will have only two fighting participants: Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort

2)At least one person will die. The possibiility is great that both will die

3)Harry will learn learn to harness this power (love/compassion/etc I presume) and unleash it on Voldemort.

Let me go through some of the most plausible settings for this end of the book. The sample ending is my own speculation.

A)Harry and Voldemort kill each other at the same time. The prophecy is now complete.

Sample endings:

i)"Everyone in the great hall was in tears, even the Slytherins. They cried for the wizarding world, they cried for the school, but most of all, they cried for the loss of the bravest person to ever set foot on the grounds: Harry Potter. The boy who lived, the boy who died, the boy who saved, the boy with the scar."

ii)"Harry saw a flash of green light and then........a veil. The veil looked familiar it was the same veil he had seen two years. When he walked through it, he saw his mother and father laughing at a joke Sirius had told them. He ran into their arms and realized that he would no longer feel pain from his scar."

B)Harry is killed by Voldemort and he wakes up, still 11 years old, to his mother calling: "Harry, come downstairs. Your breakfast is getting cold!"

Sample Ending:

"Harry walked over to his mirror and pushed his messy hair away from his forehead. Much to his relief, he saw there was no scar"

C)Harry kills Lord Voldemort and the prophecy is fulfilled.

Sample Ending:

"No longer tormented by Lord Voldemort, Harry now looked forward to years of happiness and healing with no more worry about his scar.

Also, there will probably be and epilogue detailing what happened to the still living characters.

Last edited by eclipseSD; June 24th, 2003 at 9:37 am.
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2003, 6:07 pm
Fifth Year

Very good endings! Although One thing to mention, is that if Harry does survive, there will be action after the battle, so it wont be on the last page; or probably even in the last chapter. And if he does die; there will at least be a paragraph at the end of it, summing up things, and having some really philosophical finish.

Id prefer it if Voldermort just came out and said
"Im going to work at McDonalds. The staff are friendly, helpful, and you dont get all that messy business of trying to remember who you have killed." And with that, thre was a loud crack, and Voldermort was gone. Harry realised that the phophecy was wrong, and decided to go against Voldermort again: He worked in Burger King, and everyone forgot all about the boy with the scar.

Old June 24th, 2003, 7:42 pm
Second Year

Yeah..I too think the veil is like a kind of portal to the underworld....You know, We do know what the famous veil is:>once you crossed it, you can't come back....I have said this before, but I think b/c of what Luna said, Harry might want to see the veil again to find Sirius...

ALSO...We found how VOLDEMORT CAN BE KILLED RIGHT? Just drop him there and let's see how he gets out....=)

I think the final battle will be there in that room...Maybe Harry fights with Voldemort and both fell through the veil....(I honestly think Harry won't survive)...You can't come out of there right?

Old June 24th, 2003, 8:01 pm
Fifth Year

The final battle is very likely to be in the Department of Mysteries, as Harry needs to unlock that mysterious door. Perhaps the battle will be in that room?
But, as long as Harry survives, the final battle wont be in the last chapter. It will be either in the 3rd or 2nd last chapter. If Harry does die, then there will still be more than a page of explaining what happened afterwards.

Old June 25th, 2003, 9:24 am
First Year

Here's a thought.

Maybe Harry will proceed down the road Frodo took (choosing to take the ship to the Undying Lands) and CHOOSE to go through the veil once Voldemort has been defeated.

Perhaps the pain and horror inflicted upon Harry in his short life has been too much and, thus, he is unable to recover. Better to spend eternity with those you love than spending decades more in pain.

Though I am quite sure JK would see the parallel to LOTR and probably choose a different ending.

Of course, there is always the possibility Harry wakes up to find himself 30 years old and straight jacketed in an upstate New York mental institution shouting "I'M A 17 YEAR OLD BRITISH WIZARD!!! QUICK, SUMMON THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX! VOLDEMORT IS COMING TO FINISH OFF WHAT HE STARTED WITH MY SCAR!!!"

BTW the thread title could be a bit misleading. This thread is discussing both the final battle and the final chapter. It is not infering that the final battle will take place within the final chapter.

Old June 25th, 2003, 1:07 pm
First Year

I had a weird though about DD line to Voldermort while discussing it with others. He said there are things worse than death, and that Voldemort's death wouldn't be able to satisfy him. Then, thinking about the prophecy, I thought what if Harry had to kill Voldemort, but not Tom Riddle. So what if Harry could strip Voldemort of his powers somehow, cause I can't see Harry killing someone. Turning Voldemort into a squib, wouldn't that be worse than death? Just a thought...

Old June 25th, 2003, 2:08 pm
Owner of the Only Uncensored Cat

I like the idea of Harry waking up to everyone being alive, everything being ok. That would satisfy my mental hunger, knowing no one died, everything was alright.

Somehow I can't see JKR doing that! My first thought was the veil and Harry would choose to go through it, but it is a bit too LOTR. However, there are no new possible endings, and the best musical peices imitate other peices, so if it is written well, it's not that bad.

Old June 25th, 2003, 2:30 pm
Superman

I'm thinking the dementors have to play a part. It has already been said that the Dementor's kiss is a fate worse than death. Dumbledore repeated the "worse than death" idea in his conversation with Voldemort. Surely there is a link between the two. I'm thinking come the end of the series Voldemort's going to be soul-less.

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Old June 25th, 2003, 3:12 pm
Owner of the Only Uncensored Cat

Heheeh that I suppose can be classified as death as well

*giggles at the thought of Voldie souless* though technically couldn't you say he is because he doesn't experience or know love, he doesn't care about killing, you could define that as souless. Also the dementors wouldn't get much food out of his soul because he has no happiness.

Old June 25th, 2003, 3:20 pm
Superman

A soul in terms of JK's story is anything that allows you to operate effectively as a human being i.e. ability to think, a personality etc. therefore he most certainly has a soul and that being the case he can certainly lose it through the dementors. As for the question of happiness is it universal? That is does the same thing make everyone happy - the answer to that is clearly no. Perhaps Voldemort is happy killing and torturing people.

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Old June 25th, 2003, 9:22 pm
Second Year

The fact that Nick didn't go onto the next place, and became a ghost instead, was because he is afraid, reminded me of Voldemort. We've heard him say that his goal is to conquer death, or that there is no fate worse than death - Voldemort, like Nick, is afraid of death.

So wouldn't it torture him to be killed at Harry's hands, cling to the world in his fear of what lies beyond, and become a ghost unable to so much as lift a wand, never mind do magic? I think this is the fate that awaits him. Ahh, it has a nice justice to it...

Old June 26th, 2003, 4:45 am
Third Year

Here is how I see things happening.
The D.E.s (led by the LeStranges--provided Neville hasn't killed them by now) will attack Hogwarts. Harry and the D.A. (which by then will be very well trained in dueling) will fight alongside the teachers and the OotP. Many will die (and I won't take any guesses at who, because it could be ANYBODY).

Then enters Voldemort. And of course, Harry and L.V. will duel. The presence of the surviving members of the D.A. and OotP, will keep the surviving members of the Death Eaters from giving Voldemort any help, vice versa.

They will duel, and the good guys will win. Not necessarily Harry, Voldemort could kill Harry, but in the end, Voldemort will be defeated. In a battle of Good Vs. Evil, Good always wins, or the battle isn't over. So Voldemort will die, but Harry may not deliver the killing blow. If he doesn't, one of the surviving members of the D.A. might. Hopefully Neville. I don't know the name of the killing curse, because I'm sure that it hasn't been named. But I think the curse that kills Voldemorte is one that has the ability to kill a man's soul. It really is the only way that Voldemort can be killed. Kill the body and the soul comes back as a ghost. Kill the soul, and all you have left is a body which will be dispatched by another member of the D.A., which will be dispatched by another member of the D.A. Hopefully Ginny.

So what do y'all think? (I certainly wasted enough time on this...but it made for good brain food).

Old June 26th, 2003, 12:00 pm
First Year

I think Voldermorts demise lies in the power Harry has of love & compassion and that we may not know much about how this power can be used and manipulated.

Capella may be onto something and Nick and Harry's talk may have been subtle hints to the ending.

It's likely that we still have very little knowledge of what will come to be Voldermorts demise, it's obvious the series won't end with Voldermort still alive and with his powers.

Old June 26th, 2003, 12:25 pm
First Year

Death frightens Voldy, but as Nick said you can choose... just think of Voldy being a ghost at Hogwarts tiring to frighten the kids and being made fun of, with Hermione as head mistress.... I suppose this ending would be too comic for JKR since the books are getting darker and darker...

Old June 26th, 2003, 1:02 pm
First Year

i think raven's idea about a battle at hogwarts with the DA, D.E and the Ootp aswell would be a good ending, but i think that Harry will survive and when Voldie goes to kill him someone will scarifice themselves for him (probably ginny) and then that will give him enough power to kill voldie, but if he's scared of death w3ouldn't it be a good idea to send him there, cause it would be hell for him.

"What if this weren't a hypothetical question?"

"It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference"
Old June 26th, 2003, 1:15 pm
Second Year

Good endings. I kinda like the one when he goes through the veil when he sees his parents and Sirius. It's sad but yeah, it's really good.

Anyway, the final chapter I think will be the one where JK gives us the facts about what will happen to the characters. Of course there would be the Final Battle but I think it would be in the second to the last chapter. In the final chapter, we will know who marries who, who teaches in Hogwarts, and the like. JK says she's going to give a finite ending that wouldn't require her to write another sequel anyway so I think that's how the final chapter's going to be like. Just hope she spares Harry but the after she killed Sirius, I think she's killing HArry as well.

Old June 26th, 2003, 5:29 pm
First Year

I think you guys are reading too much into JKR killing of Sirius. I think she made this book particularly dark because Harry had come off relativity unscathed from his previous battles, and it doesn’t rain sunshine on anyone all the time.
Tell you the truth, if she cried after killing Sirius, I don’t think she has it in her to off Harry. And I don’t think it serves the story well. This is the classic Good Vs. Evil, and if Harry dies, being the good force in this story, that’s equivocal to saying Good cannot triumph over evil.
But that’s just my opinion

Old June 26th, 2003, 5:41 pm
First Year

Voldemort and Death Eaters attack Hogwarts, and Harry lures Voldemort to him through the mind connection. While Death Eaters are fight the staff and DA, Voldemort walks through to Harry to meet him in the place where Harry first defeated Voldemort in Hogwarts. Harry with only his wand and the Gryffindor Sword, confronts Voldemort. A battle of spells ensues, but Harry is knocked down. Voldemort uses the Cruciatus curse to torture Harry. While being tortured, memories of all his love ones flashes in his mind. His parents, Sirius, Hermoine, the Weasleys, Lupin and Dumbledore speak to him in his mind; they tell him not give up and to fight on, then Harry snaps. He breaks from the Cruciatus curse, and then Voldemort turns his wand into a sword. During the sword fight both are injured badly, but Harry cuts Voldemorts arm badly, Harry get his wand and tortures Voldemort almost into insanity with the Cruciatus curse. Harry taunts Voldemort while he is begging for his life, then Harry stabs him with the sword. Harry begins to shed a tear, and Voldemorts ask why; and Harry replies, for the love, the love will never understand. Harry falls out and wake up in the hospital wing with Dumbledore at his side. Later that night, Harry walks into the Great Hall with everyone in the school, the OOTP, rest of the Wealsey family, and family members of people who died fighting Voldemort giving Harry a standing ovation. Harry walks to the Gryffindor table, Hermione gets up and gives Harry deep passionate kiss. Dumbledore signals Harry to sit next to him at the staff table. Dumbledore gives an emotional speech and in the end he say, Harry Potter, no longer the boy who lived, but the man that conquered evil.

Old June 27th, 2003, 9:13 pm
Second Year

I was thinking something along the lines that to kill Voldermort, Harry has to forgive him or something. The power of love and compassion would kill Voldermort because he underestimates it and does not possess it.

Old June 27th, 2003, 10:42 pm
First Year

Oh no, Good will triumph over evil but first good must SACRIFICE itself to defeat evil.

IE Harry throws himself onto Voldemort and both go into the veil.

Isn't giving up your life to save the world , the ultimate sacrifice?

Remember the Gospel of St. John:

Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Every time she is asked about writing about Harry after year 7, she replies "How do you know he will live?"

Sure some children will be upset and some adults disheartened, but remember: Little or no merchandise, a significant decrease in fanfic, no chance of a writer trying to capitalize on the name by publishing more HP books, and less publicity. Isn't that how JKR would like to end her series?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies