Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Book Five Predictions: New and Recurring Characters

Old July 18th, 2002, 7:59 pm
Genius Loci

Ok, this thread is for discussing who you think will return in Book five and what sort of new characters maybe introduced. Do you think we will see more Death Eaters? More Hogwarts teachers?

Do you think we'll see any named characters make an appearence in the Order of the Phoenix?

I for one think we'll see the Dementors make a strong re-appearence as allies of Voldemort, and maybe we'll also see the introduction of the giants, which I am really hoping we do, because they would be very interesting to see described in print.
Also, what about the Dragons? Do you think they could be used as a secret weapon of either Dumbledore or Voldemort? They are very powerful and could quite possibly turn the tide in any war.

Also, the house elves. These creatures appear to be gifted very powerful magic. They could likely be unlikely allies of Dumbledore and Harry in the event of an invasion of Hogwarts by Voldemort and the Death Eaters?

So, what do you guys think?

Old July 19th, 2002, 7:33 pm
Valerie

I think we will see the dementors and giants in the next book. I think we may be introduced to some new magical creatures as well.
I think in the next book, we will find out who are allies and stuff and which magical creatures will side with who.
Dragons, maybe..Charlie may do well to help out with that.

Old July 20th, 2002, 4:48 pm
Professor Emeritus

It is obvious that Mrs Figg, Fletcher, Lupin and other members of the old gang will play an important role. We'll probably know more about Death Eaters. And I'm sure that dementors will come back.

Old July 20th, 2002, 6:30 pm
Sixth Year

I think we could perhaps see Firenze and the Centaurs return. Firenze made it very clear in PS that he stands against Voldemort; even at the cost of tradition, and I think there are many other centaurs that agree with him.

Then, I think we'll see the 'old crowd:' Sirius, Lupin, Mrs Figg, Mundungus Fletcher, Moody, and those who havn't been revealed yet.

Then, and this is only a gut feel I have, we may see some form of 'champion' introduced. A character that has great power (on par with Dumbledore), is a highly skilled Auror, and knows something of warfare. This character would probably then teach the students how to survive in combat situations. The main reason I think this is because the book is crying out for a character like that.

Other than that, we may see Vampires or Dragons return. Then, of course, the Dementors and Giants will be there.

Old July 21st, 2002, 1:02 am
Professor Emeritus

Oh, I think the Lestranges will be vital characters. I believe Azkaban will be opened soon, and they're gonna get out, and then all hell's gonna break loose. They are, without a doubt, Voldemort's most faithful servants, and who knows what kind of damage he could do with them on his side.

Old July 23rd, 2002, 5:19 pm
Third Year

I'm looking forward to finding out more about the "old crowd". I think Arabella Figg has had something to do with Harry's life prior to Hogwarts. Lupin should make a return. I think we'll also find out more about the Death Eaters and who they are.

Old July 24th, 2002, 4:20 am
Professor Emeritus

I fear the dementors will leave Azkaban to go to Voldemort. With no dementors at the prison, all the bad guys will be free to leave, including any Death Eaters there.

Cats know your every thought. They don't care, but they know.

He who dislikes a cat was in his former life a rat.

Forum Rules violators will be shredded! Read my claws!

Vocatus atque non Vocatus Deus aderit

Cathairetic
Old July 24th, 2002, 6:13 am
Professor Emeritus

Yes, Laurel, I agree. That's exactly what I think is going to happen.

Old July 24th, 2002, 3:41 pm
Third Year

What shape do you think the imprisoned Death Eaters will be in if they have the ability to leave? PoA says that if a wizard is left with a dementor too long he eventually loses his power. Sirius was there 12 years, but had an advantage (imho) in that he knew he was innocent and that it allowed him to keep his sanity. Ah..that's another thing. It also says that most of them go crazy. Just think, a bunch of insane Death Eaters being let loose on the wizarding community. With or without magical powers, that would be total chaos. How many of them have survived Azkaban? Surely after all those years some of them would have died. And noone really knew how many there were, except Voldemort. :devil: Ok, I think I'm done rambling now.

Old July 24th, 2002, 4:20 pm
Second Year

I am really interested in the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. They really have been running through them, and now with all the dark arts going on, just think how important is. Also, because of all of the dark arts, it is probably even harder for them to find another teacher. Dumbledore had to use Lockhart and then Moody, so it really must be bad. They say that it is going to be a girl, and personally, I can't wait to see how cazy she is. How much worse can you get? A villain, a fake, and an escaped convict that was vital to Voldemort's return. Nope, it's going to be really hard to top that.

I also agree that there will be a return of the giants and dementors. Remember what Professor Trelawney said. Voldemort will be back more terrible than before. Just think of what he will try to do. As for the Dragons, I have been thinking about that, too, and I think that Voldemort will probably try to use them. I hope that roast him for us. Finally, the centaurs. I am with LewsTherin. I mean, Firenze helped Harry before and defied the centaur ways. I'm sure that he will help again.

The return of the Death Eaters will be a big problem. I agree with Jedily that it will be tough. However, do you think that Voldemort will be able to help them? As for the Lestranges, perhaps they were able to also think of one thought, how they were not able to help Voldemort, or something like that. Dementors are not able to suck out thoughts like that, and I feel that the Lestranges have that capability.

Lastly, the old crowd. Personally, I believe that the Order of the Phoenix somehow pertains to Arabella, Lupin, and Sirius. If that is correct, we should be seeing a lot about them.

Old July 27th, 2002, 6:55 am
Admin Emeritus

I think Susan Bones will be important. I may remember this wrong, but the Bones family Hagrid mentions are supposed to be her grandparents, right? She hasn't made an appearance since the sorting, and she has to have a part sometime if JKR connected her with a family who got killed by Voldie. Maybe she'll become a friend of Harry's.

Old July 28th, 2002, 1:10 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Susan Bones probably will be more important. I believe that the "Old Crowd" will be in the next book. Since 4 sort of left you hanging and wondering after Harry saw the scrying thing in DD room. Also I wonder about Cho. Do any of you think JK will change or edit anything after her insident with the Cho lady who was deported?

Old July 31st, 2002, 7:14 pm
Sixth Year

I think Rita Skeeter will return, though I don't want her too! :angry:

Old July 31st, 2002, 11:37 pm
Professor Emeritus

In addition to all the other suggestions, I look forward to possibly seeing Krum pop up now and again.

I'm also curious about Hermoine's parents - I'd like to see us visit them somehow (just to see how Voldie's terror may affect muggles.)

Oh - and I'd like to see more extended family be incorporated in the novels. You know, maybe meeting Ron's accountant uncle, or some more of Neville's family (especially considering that they may be ready for revenge in the name of Neville's parents).

Also, I'd like to see the real Moody come back, just to see what he's really like.

Old August 1st, 2002, 1:12 am
Prefect Emeritus

I think that Fleur will return as a recurring character.

As for new characters, I think Ravenclaws will become more important (maybe a class with them).

I also think we'll see at least one more gryffindor fifth year girl... named Amanda. Just a hunch..

Old August 1st, 2002, 8:09 pm
Prefect Emeritus

Yeah, Da da -- I can't wait to see what Fleur's up to in the next books. I think she'll come to work at Hogwarts, as JK mentioned it in book four.

I also want to know more about Mundungus Fletcher, Dedalus Diggle, and Archie (if he turns out to be a bigger character). The Old Crowd should be interesting :grin:

Old August 1st, 2002, 9:34 pm
Second Year

I think the House Elves will be a very important force in fighting the dark side. They have a very powerful type of magic that could really help. Also, there are more house elves that belong to Albus Dumbledore than anyone else, and Dumbledore is the biggest good guy of all (we think), so they could definitely be employed to help. Also, in the first book, Dumbledore saw himself in the Mirror of Erised with socks. Maybe his strongest desire is to somehow free all of the house elves and use them to help the good side.

Old August 2nd, 2002, 1:45 am
Prefect Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Dobby and Winky
I think the House Elves will be a very important force in fighting the dark side.
But of course! What would the dark side do without their clean sheets and homecooked meals?!? :grin:

Seriously, though, I completely agree with you. Dobby showed his powers in CoS, by blocking the barrier to the Hogwarts express, and Winky showed her powers by the spell she performed to bind Crouch Jr. to her. There's more coming from them, I'm positive. ;D

Old August 3rd, 2002, 7:37 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
I think Susan Bones will be important. I may remember this wrong, but the Bones family Hagrid mentions are supposed to be her grandparents, right? She hasn't made an appearance since the sorting, and she has to have a part sometime if JKR connected her with a family who got killed by Voldie. Maybe she'll become a friend of Harry's.
I was beginning to wonder it anyone would ever notice this. I noticed the connection the last time I read Book 1, but I had brought it up anywhere yet, nor have I seen it mentioned before. I don't know if it is just a coincedence or not, but I noticed in the movie, Susan Bones was the only non-vital character to be shown during the sorting. Either they just choose a person that was sorted in the book to show in the movie just randomly so Ron could comment on something, or they were asked by Rowling to leave her in for some reason hoping we would notice.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dobby and Winky
Also, in the first book, Dumbledore saw himself in the Mirror of Erised with socks. Maybe his strongest desire is to somehow free all of the house elves and use them to help the good side.
I think this is a very interesting point (and something I can't beleive I missed). I am not saying I don't want them to be freed, but can't the house elves be just as effective without being given clothes? The house-elves have very powerful magic of their own, but can only use it with permission of their owner. Dumbledore would give that permission in a heartbeat to do what they gotta do. If the house elves-left though, imagine how many cooks and cleaners they would have to hire to replace the elves, and what wizard or witch wants to do that job? OK, well maybe if Dumbledore set them free, maybe they would do a Dobby, and work for Hogwarts without being "owned" by Hogwarts. After all, they all supposedly like their jobs and would never want to leave, but would probably help Dumbledore with anything because of their dedication.

(Sorry bout my ramblings, I will stop for now....)

Old August 3rd, 2002, 9:21 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally posted by pasalita
In addition to all the other suggestions, I look forward to possibly seeing Krum pop up now and again.

I'm also curious about Hermoine's parents - I'd like to see us visit them somehow (just to see how Voldie's terror may affect muggles.)

Oh - and I'd like to see more extended family be incorporated in the novels. You know, maybe meeting Ron's accountant uncle, or some more of Neville's family (especially considering that they may be ready for revenge in the name of Neville's parents).

Also, I'd like to see the real Moody come back, just to see what he's really like.
Ditto on what you said, especially Neville. Between his parents' tragedy and seeing him stronger in Book 3 when overcoming his fear and beating the boggart in Lupin's class, I think there is a definite potential for him to be a stronger character and to be an additional asset in the fight against Voldemort.

Maybe there will also be new characters introduced in Book 5 who will be some of James and Lily's friends, those who gave Hagrid photos of Harry's parents for Harry's album. If Dumbledore wants the 'old crowd' informed of Voldemort's return, obviously there has to be others.

I also agree on those who mention the elves. With a powerful magic of their own, and Harry and Dumbledore's kindness toward them, those will go a long way in their roles with helping Harry fight Voldemort.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies