Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Can Harry still use Dumbledore's Pensieve?

Old December 31st, 2005, 1:49 am
Fifth Year

Re: Can Harry still use Dumbledore's Pensieve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqizzer
No worries, if it wasn't for this place, a lot of things would have gone by me too. The Harry Universe is far too big to remember every single detail.

I would love it if Harry went back to the pensieve. It would be an excellent way to get a lot of information in order to save those pages for the good action bits too. So much still needs to be done - I don't know how JKR's going to fit it all in one book!
I know. I mean, I do wish the book is going to be as long as a day without bread (dunno if you really can say that in English, in case, it means very long). And I want all the answers too. The Pensieve sure could be a good way.

Old July 18th, 2006, 9:47 am
Second Year

Does a pensieve still hold memories when the owner dies?

Sorry if this is repeating a previous thread. I did a search but could not find anything resembling this question.
Also I feel that this could be relevent to the final book.

If the pensieve holds the memories of one person ie Dumbledore, do the memories remain when the person dies, as Dumbledore did in Half Blood Prince, or do the memories fade and leave the pensieve empty.

Comments appreciated.

I appreciate that this may be way off mark, and I do hold my own view with regard to the final book, as posted elsewhere.
But whilst thinking about possible routes for the final book this question popped into my head.

Old July 18th, 2006, 9:48 am
First Year

Re: Does a pensieve still hold memories when the owner dies?

hmmm. i wonder too.

Old July 18th, 2006, 9:51 am
Second Year

In HbP Harry and Dumbledore take a trip into the memory of Bob Ogden, who accordin gto Dumbledore has been dead for some time. so I would take this as a definite yes the memorys do last after those who experienced them has died.

Old July 18th, 2006, 10:00 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar_Levere
In HbP Harry and Dumbledore take a trip into the memory of Bob Ogden, who accordin gto Dumbledore has been dead for some time. so I would take this as a definite yes the memorys do last after those who experienced them has died.
Good point, but these memories were contained in a bottle, what about Dumbledores memories that he was keeping in the pensieve, the memory you mention could just mean that if stored in a sealed container the memory works in any pensieve. Also whose memories will be of more use to Harry?

Old July 18th, 2006, 10:02 am
Banned

I wonder if memories that are stored (even post mortem) are more akin to DVDs or VHS. Tapes tend to lose their image quality over a matter of time, but DVD's stay consistent. Wonder if there is any fading at all?

Old July 18th, 2006, 10:04 am
Third Year

Yeah I would say they remain intact. Bob Ogden was the best example.

Old July 18th, 2006, 10:12 am
Second Year

Well we know that memorys can be altered, and I suppose like much other magic it looses it's effects over time.

Old July 18th, 2006, 11:50 am
Second Year

Memories aren't stored in the Pensieve.
They're stored in peoples brains or in magical memory bottles and can be placed temporarily in the Pensieve where they can be reviewed. After use, the memories are returned to the bottle or the brain. (Think of it like a DVD player and the DVD discs.)

Memories stored in the brain cannot be recovered after death but memories stored in the bottles can.

Old July 18th, 2006, 2:31 pm
First Year

So lets hope Dumby has a dozen bottles worth of useful memories lying around somewhere...

Old July 18th, 2006, 2:34 pm
Second Year

This is my own take on book 7, so I completely understand if people think I'm bonkers. I think the pensieve is going to play a huge role in Harry's journeys in book 7. The Pensieve is Harry's only real remaining connection to Dumbledore-a way for Dumbledore to share with Harry all that he knew regarding Tom Riddle and the horcruxes. So basically, yes, I'm pretty sure that the memories do last.

Old July 18th, 2006, 3:07 pm
Third Year

Actually, I thought memories were stored in the Pensieve...or at least that they could be. When Harry first found Dumbledore's pensieve in GOF and "fell" into it, he witnessed a number of memories that were there. When Dumbledore pulled him back into the office, he said something about having too many thoughts in your head and putting them there to examine at your leisure. I thought the bottled memories were merely done because someone had chosen (possibly under persuasion) to give them to Dumbledore. I would agree, however, that a bottled memory would seem to be more securely stored than one in a pensieve. Can you "spill" a pensieve? What would happen to the memories it contained if it were knocked over?

Old July 18th, 2006, 6:45 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMollywobbles
Actually, I thought memories were stored in the Pensieve...or at least that they could be. When Harry first found Dumbledore's pensieve in GOF and "fell" into it, he witnessed a number of memories that were there.
No, Dumbledore's memories were only there temporarily.
He was called away urgently before he could return them to his brain and Harry stumbled across them.
The same thing happened when Harry experienced Snape's (sorry, Professor Snape's) memories. On both these occasions, the memories were returned to their owners' brains before the Pensieve was put away. I assume it will only hold one set of memories at a time.

Old August 8th, 2006, 5:45 pm
First Year

Forgive me if I'm repeating something, I didn't get through all of the replies.

I think/hope DD leaves more than just a thought for Harry in his will. I think/hope the pensive is left for Harry. That would allow DDs lessons to continue and give Harry a much better understanding of many other events - Why DD trusts Snape being just one of many possibilities!

Old August 8th, 2006, 8:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by davalon
Forgive me if I'm repeating something, I didn't get through all of the replies.

I think/hope DD leaves more than just a thought for Harry in his will. I think/hope the pensive is left for Harry. That would allow DDs lessons to continue and give Harry a much better understanding of many other events - Why DD trusts Snape being just one of many possibilities!
I've been saying all along that DD will leave Harry his pensieve among other things that will help him defeat LV

Old August 9th, 2006, 6:02 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermiobonni
I've been saying all along that DD will leave Harry his pensieve among other things that will help him defeat LV
That's exactly what I was thinking. Dumbledore seems like the type to have way too much on his mind at once and he may have not told Harry everything he wanted to.

Old August 20th, 2006, 10:11 pm
Third Year

Are his thoughts in the pensieve gone? I always thought that they were still there. Did Dumbledore perhaps leave important memories in the pensieve for Harry to find? Did he make sure there were there before he died, so harry would see them? I think that Harry should take Dumbledores pensieve and use it to find out info. Maybe it will help him to defeat Voldemort.

Old August 21st, 2006, 12:23 am
Third Year

I am hopeful that the pensieve is used in book 7 since it has had such an important role in past books. I think it may be the only way to figure out why Dumbledore trusted Snape (although I agree with whoever said on here that it would be best if Harry confronted Snape... there's a battle I can't wait to see!)

I also think that the pensieve may contain the only clues left as to where the rest of the horcruxes are. Before, Harry was just following Dumbledore, but now he's got to figure the rest out without his mentor there to help him. The pensieve could help Harry, since Dumbledore isn't there to guide him himself.

Sirius Black may be dead, but Padfoot can live forever if you copy him into your signature.

Join the movement to kick Peter Pettigrew out of the Marauders! Make James, Sirius, Remus, Fred and George the REAL Marauders! Add this to your signature to join!

Snape knew Sirius was innocent and still let him rot in Azkaban - another reason to hate him.
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:40 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHUIK
Well , Dumbledore's dead now so all his thought and memories which were present in the pensieve gone ? and if not than is it possible for Harry to take it with him to get more information ?
The memory of Ogden wasn't gone and he's dead, so Harry will still be able to acces Dumbledore's thoughts which were in the pensieve.

Old August 21st, 2006, 12:55 am
First Year

I think that even though Dumbledore is dead, that his memories inside of the pensieve will not disappear because they were no longer a part of him. They were just copies of his memories in the pensieve, and quite seperate from his own mind. I mean, the point of a pensieve is to store memories in it when you have too many in your head in the first place, right? However, Dumbledore, being as powerful as he was, perhaps put a spell on the pensieve to erase the memories when he died? Something along those lines? Just to protect Harry and others from anyone dangerous from seeing something particularly revealing, especially those memories of Voldemort as a child *shudders*. And as we saw in HBP, McGonagall had no problem at all getting into Dumbledore's office after he died, as did anyone else. This would leave the office a total open book, and I don't doubt there are some enchantments to keep Dumbledore's privacy even though he is dead. Wow, I'm sort of contradicting myself here. Such an interesting topic.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies