Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Prisoner of Azkaban from Harry's point of view

Old July 12th, 2011, 6:00 pm
Sixth Year

Prisoner of Azkaban from Harry's point of view

I've heard David Heyman and Yates say that with PoA, Cuaran changed the trajectory of the films by saying that he chose to film the story from Harry's Point of View. I'd like to hear from people how they think that is so. In what way is PoA more from Harry's personal point of view than the two previous movies? My first thought goes to the beginning scene and then in the Shrieking Shack, but I am having trouble really articulating how this is so. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2011, 5:55 pm
First Year

Re: Prisoner of Azkaban from Harry's point of view

That is a tough question. I can't really see how PoA is told from harry's point of view more than any of the others. maybe cos of parts like when the dementors enter the train you see it through harry POV like you hear his mothers scream and the screen goes black when he collapses. otherwise i don't really know.

Old July 14th, 2011, 4:27 am
Third Year

It seems like the story itself starts turning into "Harry's story" more in this one, as compared to SS/PS and CoS where we still are experiencing the first-time showings of the magical world in spells and places, etc. From PoA on we are learning more about Harry and his parents and Voldemort's story instead of focusing on the Wizarding World.

So, from the movie perspective, I'd say Harry's POV starts on the train with the Dementors, as the poster above me said. Here, we get our first glimpse into Harry's head, rather than simply listening to what he has to say.

Hufflepuff Pride
Old July 14th, 2011, 4:30 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

This change also occurs in the books. The early books, especially PS, include lots of narration, whereas the later books focus more on Harry and what is happening in Harry's head.

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old July 14th, 2011, 4:54 am
Sixth Year

Well, I think we kind of see it in Hogsmeade. We see the cloak from inside it, from Harry's point of view. We hear Harry breathing while he watches Fudge, Rosmerta and McGonagall discuss him. We see Harry looking at the Map in the hallway at night and feel that we are him watching Peter Pettigrew come towards us and past us. We see Sirius sense that his is there under the cloak. Although we see that in CoS in Hagrid's Hut also.
I think that we see the dementors at the lake scene in the two different ways, kind of points to it.
I think in the kitchen we feel Harry's rage more personally against Aunt Marge as she denigrates his parents.
I think Cuaron does a lot of subtle work in this film. He certainly seems to be the first director to really challenge the kids to take their roles seriously. Granted a lot of that was them maturing, but when we see outtakes and behind the scenes, he seems to be able to work with them to relate a bit more to their characters. He asked them write essays on their own characters.
I think Yates did a good job in the last two films finishing the trio up as actors, that's when we really see their growth in their performances. Whatever it is about Cuaron's work, I think it's more subtle than I first interpreted, because I have to think about how this statement (it's from Harry's pov) is true.

Old July 14th, 2011, 5:06 am

People are taking this too literally. They didn't mean that the film was shot from Harry's point of view, they meant that the subplots that weren't directly relating to Harry were sacrificed.

Old July 14th, 2011, 5:19 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
People are taking this too literally. They didn't mean that the film was shot from Harry's point of view, they meant that the subplots that weren't directly relating to Harry were sacrificed.
Wow. Buzz-kill!Sorry, but that's not what I took from David Heyman at all. It's not all about what is written, it's about the directors vision. At any rate, it's just an opportunity for discussion. (Because it so much deeper to discuss which film did Harry's hair more justice?) It IS what was said about it, I've heard it more than once.

Old July 14th, 2011, 5:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
Wow. Buzz-kill!Sorry, but that's not what I took from David Heyman at all. It's not all about what is written, it's about the directors vision. At any rate, it's just an opportunity for discussion. (Because it so much deeper to discuss which film did Harry's hair more justice?) It IS what was said about it, I've heard it more than once.
Didn't mean to buzz kill you, but whenever Heyman talks about the change they made since PoA to focus on Harry, he has always meant it in a story-telling way, and definitely not in a cinematographic sense. You should probably look into those interviews again. It's always the answer when he is asked about why certain things were kept and cut.

Old July 14th, 2011, 5:46 am
Sixth Year

I guess I don't see it that way. In fact, I just saw him this last week discussing it and it didn't sound that way at all. Still it could make an interesting discussion.

Old July 16th, 2011, 4:15 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterFace View Post
I honestly didn't see it that way. His POV was always included in some form or another, but I didn't see it as the dominant voice.
Yes, that's what I mean. I was wondering how it was more from his pov than others.

Old July 16th, 2011, 9:18 am
First Year

They're kinda that way in the books too. Much more inside Harry's head.

Old July 16th, 2011, 2:22 pm
Second Year

Well We/Harry dive very deep into the history of what brought Harry to the road he is on, what happened to his parents is made much more clear, friendships of the past, betrayals of the past, a threat beginning to show itself...PoA did feel different to me, now that I think about it.

Hufflepuff: We kill you with smiles and rainbows.
The Pottermore Battalion -- Unicorn Army Corp.

Pottermore Sigs Here
Old October 6th, 2011, 2:07 am
Second Year

A little off topic, but think about the other movies being in his pov.
That would be the most ADD thing ever.

Pottermore: ShadowMagic
And because everyone loves a bit of Disney blog magic: Just a Spoonful of Sugar
Old October 11th, 2011, 5:06 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvDarkMarks View Post
It seems like the story itself starts turning into "Harry's story" more in this one, as compared to SS/PS and CoS where we still are experiencing the first-time showings of the magical world in spells and places, etc. From PoA on we are learning more about Harry and his parents and Voldemort's story instead of focusing on the Wizarding World.
I agree. It's been a very long time since I've read PS or COS because they're a little too kiddy for me with too much repeat information (explaining quidditch over and over) but the book and film for POA is when, I feel, we really start to see Harry exploring the world on his own, taking the initiative and asking Lupin for Demontor-repelling lessons - something he experiences without Ron or Hermione - where we see him begin to have little adventures without his friends by his side every second. The story really does begin to zero in on Harry's story rather than just the trio's adventures.

I think Curon picked up on this and ran with it and I think the movies are better for it.

With that said, though, the stories are all told from Harry's perspective in a limited third person narrative in that we only hear what Harry is thinking or feeling and not anyone else. In fact, the only scene in the first three books that I can think of that Harry isn't a witness to is Hermione's intervention at the quidditch game in PS where she sets Snape's robes on fire. Until the fourth book with the opening with Frank Bryce, everything else is pretty much Harry's POV.

I think the third book and the third film are both turning points in the series - the book because it begins to delve into Harry's past more deeply and the films because Curon brought a maturity to the series that Chris Columbus couldn't because of the youthful and innocent nature of the first two books/screenplays.

Old October 17th, 2011, 2:22 pm
First Year

I have to agree with ArryGrotter. It's very clear that it's the story he's talking about, cutting out sub-plots and details not related to Harry's own story.

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:40 pm
Third Year

It may be the case that Heyman just meant "we cut all the non-Harry subplots" but that doesn't invalidate this as a discussion topic. We can still talk about narrative shifts in the movies!

I agree with Goddess Clio. The first two books and films, IMO, are very "plotty," which is fine because there really is a lot of plot to set up and JKR did a fantastic job of establishing the characters. However, I find there's little development and exploration, but that changes in the third book and was reflected in the film. It's a lot more introspective, and we see a lot more of how Harry feels about things, whereas in the first two we only see what happens to him.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 8:29 pm
First Year

Watching PoA right now, I think they are right in making it largely Harry-centric. It also feels that by doing this, it gives the viewer an easier time to focus and follow. Cuaron's film also feels like it's the most easily accessible for a newcomer to see. It's one of the few films that feels like it could stand on its own without the other films.

Old October 27th, 2011, 12:16 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeCho View Post
Watching PoA right now, I think they are right in making it largely Harry-centric. It also feels that by doing this, it gives the viewer an easier time to focus and follow. Cuaron's film also feels like it's the most easily accessible for a newcomer to see. It's one of the few films that feels like it could stand on its own without the other films.
the movie POA is actually what got me to start reading the books. Until that movie I thought they were silly magic stories for ten year olds because that's how the first two films feel - very childish (as in for a child, not as in silly, tho to a certain extent they were) and not at all interesting to someone in the late teens/early twenties.

POA, though, was very accessible, very atmospheric, very memorable both in terms of the story (the time turner, the revelation about Sirius being innocent), the music (the choir at the beginning tho some seem to hate it - I thought it was cute and clever - buckbeak's theme, the whole ticking clock underscore) and the general look of the movies and how much bigger the world of HP in the films became - rather than these perfect manicured lawns and bright, cheery colors and lighting Curon made things wild, overgrown, a little dirty and shabby and dark and, IMO, like Hogwarts is described until it's cleaned up for the Yule Ball.

Again, tho other seem to hate this, I liked that they took the kids out of their school uniforms and put them in 'muggle cloths' - one of the best things I think they did in the films was not have everyone running around wearing robes that look like dresses. I get the reasoning for people not liking it but I still think robes would have been hugely distracting and I even picture 'robes' in the books to be muggle cloths in the books, or at most the kinds of robes they wear in the third film where they have shirts and trousers and vests on under them.

To this day POA is the only HP film I can watch because I detest the others so much - this one, though, can stand on its own. Yes, things were added like the shrunken head and the change to the fat lady but I enjoy those parts most of all because they were so funny and clever and added a bit of the JKR humor to the films.

Old December 27th, 2011, 12:09 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
They didn't mean that the film was shot from Harry's point of view, they meant that the subplots that weren't directly relating to Harry were sacrificed.
I agree with this I've been reading "Film Wizardry" and the point about PoA-onwards being more Harry-centric because of the cutting of sub-plots is made several times, like in GoF with the cutting of SPEW, and I'm assuming that the Marauder backstory was cut from PoA for this reason.

However, I do agree with craiggles
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggles View Post
The first two books and films, IMO, are very "plotty," which is fine because there really is a lot of plot to set up and JKR did a fantastic job of establishing the characters. However, I find there's little development and exploration, but that changes in the third book and was reflected in the film. It's a lot more introspective, and we see a lot more of how Harry feels about things, whereas in the first two we only see what happens to him.
Apart from maybe one scene in PS and CoS each (I'm thinking when Harry finds out that James played Quidditch in PS and after the Dueling Club when everyone starts thinking Harry is the heir of Slytherin), the rest of those movies is purely plot related. But starting in PoA, more character development is happening through Harry finding out more about his parents, wanting to be like his father, and external forces causing Harry to have to grow as a character, like everyone thinking he's a liar in GoF and OotP. Of course, those are directly related to the plot, but they still happen.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old December 28th, 2011, 5:29 am
Sixth Year

Regarding the kids out of uniform. I like it, myself. JKR talks about the kids wearing jeans and jumpers and trainers. Why would kids wear their uniforms when they weren't in classes? I know that the wizarding world seems to wear 'robes' but it doesn't seem to extend to the children. (?) Of course for Harry and Hermione it would be normal to wear muggle clothes when not in the classes, but how is Ron going to wear a jumper with an "R" on it over any kind of robes?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies