Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

The Deathly Hallows DVD

Old November 30th, 2011, 2:43 am
Curse Breaker

Re: The Deathly Hallows DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Nonetheless I'm sticking to the story about Blu-Rays having more space!
Oh, you're technically correct about blu-ray having more capacity. But my point was that the 2-disc regular DVD version would have been plenty capable to hold all the major special features for DH2, or at least to include the documentary as well as the 3 other pieces. I think the decision to offer sparse features is solely driven by a desire to force volume buying of more expensive equipment/discs. I will give them credit for designing the blu-ray player to run other types of media as well; even they're smart enough to realize people aren't going to replace all the regular DVD's they currently own with blu-ray. As a side note, I kept all my vinyl LP's, and by the time my original record player gave out, they were making them again. I still listen to them, and in some cases the old LP definitely sounds richer than the CD remaster. Go figure.

....I miss David Tennant....
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2011, 2:56 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
But my point was that the 2-disc regular DVD version would have been plenty capable to hold all the major special features for DH2, or at least to include the documentary as well as the 3 other pieces. I think the decision to offer sparse features is solely driven by a desire to force volume buying of more expensive equipment/discs.
You are correct- here in New Zealand, they sold a 2-disc DVD set, and all the special features, excluding Jo and Dan's interview and Maximum Movie Mode (understandably), were included - including When Harry Left Hogwarts. The US could have also made this option mainstream, but decided that only Walmart could sell a version like it, but didn't include the documentary, because that was a Target exclusive. The problem in the US was therefore WB giving exclusives to chains and confusing the customers...

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old November 30th, 2011, 3:00 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
You are correct- here in New Zealand, they sold a 2-disc DVD set, and all the special features, excluding Jo and Dan's interview and Maximum Movie Mode (understandably), were included - including When Harry Left Hogwarts. The US could have also made this option mainstream, but decided that only Walmart could sell a version like it, but didn't include the documentary, because that was a Target exclusive. The problem in the US was therefore WB giving exclusives to chains and confusing the customers...
Confusion is an understatement. Also, the Target exclusive with the documentary here in the US is only on blu-ray, which is why I suspect it was a calculated move to push buying of blu-ray equipment.

Old November 30th, 2011, 7:00 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
As a side note, I kept all my vinyl LP's, and by the time my original record player gave out, they were making them again. I still listen to them, and in some cases the old LP definitely sounds richer than the CD remaster. Go figure.
I still have my Beatle albums . . .

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old November 30th, 2011, 5:36 pm
Second Year

Quote:
In Spain they sold a 2disc DVD set also which included all special features except MMM. And that includes the conversation and the documentary. So yeah, excluding MMM that's nothing to do with capacity. They want us to buy bluray. Well, not me, apparently in my country they're OK with DVD as people with DVD players got a really good offer

'No story lives unless someone wants to read it. The stories we love best DO live in us forever. So whether you come by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you HOME.' - J.K.Rowling.
'And I just wanna say that, amm... I've loved every minute and thank you all very very much' -Dan Radcliffe

SORTED INTO GRYFFINDOR!!

Proud member of the POTTERMORE BATTALION
Old December 4th, 2011, 5:54 am
First Year

there are 3 scenes in the deleted scenes on dvd, that i'm glad they didn't put in the movie, wow huge mistakes

Old December 4th, 2011, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHarry View Post
there are 3 scenes in the deleted scenes on dvd, that i'm glad they didn't put in the movie, wow huge mistakes
Why is it a mistake that they deleted a scene you didn't like? They are deleted for a reason...

Old December 4th, 2011, 11:03 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
I will give them credit for designing the blu-ray player to run other types of media as well; even they're smart enough to realize people aren't going to replace all the regular DVD's they currently own with blu-ray.
Although something like this did happen with the transition from VHS to DVD (and cassette tapes to CDs): consumers had to re-buy all their old purchases to be able to watch/listen to them on the modernized equipment. I have yet to buy a Blu-Ray player, but I am thankful that they made DVDs compatible (whereas I am still hanging on to an old VCR player so that I did not have to buy the DVD versions! ).
Quote:
Confusion is an understatement. Also, the Target exclusive with the documentary here in the US is only on blu-ray, which is why I suspect it was a calculated move to push buying of blu-ray equipment.
I agree with this completely. I have gone beyond the point of confusion to total ignorance concerning the available versions, their special features, where they are sold, etc. I am glad that I will likely be getting the film for Christmas, so as to prevent me from making the choice myself of the limited DVD options!

It is regrettable that there is so much convolution of the home video release of the final film of the series, but that must be the downside of having a film event cover 10 years of changing technology.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old December 4th, 2011, 7:29 pm
First Year

Quote:
Why is it a mistake that they deleted a scene you didn't like? They are deleted for a reason...
i do like the scenes except in 2 of them you can see the green mats that the studio uses and the other scene had Nagini look computerized instead of realistic

Old December 27th, 2011, 6:38 am
First Year

Question about Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 DVD

Hi, just got a question about the Deathly Hallows Part 2 dvd,i watched the movie and all the special features,though the main one i wanted to see was the J.K. Rowling and Daniel Radcliffe interview,my dvd didnt have this and ive read its supposed to be a special feature,did anyone elses dvd have this interview or is it only blu-ray or something different?

Old December 27th, 2011, 9:44 pm
First Year

Re: Question about Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Hi, just got a question about the Deathly Hallows Part 2 dvd,i watched the movie and all the special features,though the main one i wanted to see was the J.K. Rowling and Daniel Radcliffe interview,my dvd didnt have this and ive read its supposed to be a special feature,did anyone elses dvd have this interview or is it only blu-ray or something different?
My Blu-Ray Dvd has the interview.

Old December 27th, 2011, 9:56 pm
Fourth Year

I absolutely hate the ultraviolet copy--it seems you can't put it in iTunes? If anyone can tell me differently, let me know how to do it!

Old December 27th, 2011, 11:28 pm
Second Year

I wish they had not deleted the scenes of Luna telling Harry she was going to Hogwarts from Shell Cottage because it confused us when she suddenly appeared there and the scene of Ginny taking Harry's hand when marching into the great hall. Those two were really needed and were only short moments which would have stopped any confusion.

Old December 28th, 2011, 5:21 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Question about Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 DVD

Quote:
It's also on the DVDs sold through Walmart; otherwise you need the blu-ray version. I've got the Walmart DVD....but it doesn't have the "When Harry Left Hogwarts" feature.

Old January 9th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Fourth Year

It's been a long time since I read the Part 1 parts of this thread, so this may have already been discussed, but last night I was playing around with the settings of my Part 1 blu-ray. Namely, I wanted to find out if it has other language dubs (because I don't usually pay attention to these things when I buy DVDs). So, it does and my kids wanted to hear the Spanish overdubs. During the 7 potters/chase scene, right when Harry and Hagrid break past the protections and it is mayhem, subtitles popped up for what the death eaters were yelling. I never really noticed if they were yelling distinct dialogue, but I guess they are. You can hear them yell things like "Where is he?" and "He's over there!" or something close to that. (These were shown as subtitles when we had the Spanish overdub on). I know it's nothing major, but we felt like we discovered a little easter egg

Old January 10th, 2012, 3:37 am

I always enjoy watching the film with the subtitles because they often display background dialogue. For DH1, that was one of the scenes that surprised me too .

Old January 10th, 2012, 1:10 pm
First Year

Quote:
I always enjoy watching the film with the subtitles because they often display background dialogue. For DH1, that was one of the scenes that surprised me too .
I agree with you.

--------------------
buy used dell servers | sell used dell servers

Last edited by itamshredding; January 27th, 2012 at 3:07 am.
Old January 10th, 2012, 2:44 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
I didn't get this on my DVD either (the UK 2 disc edition) which was disappointing, I was really hoping it would be on there after seeing it promoted heavily in the run-up to the DVD release. I know the UK DVDs usually have more special features, based on Part 1 which I was really happy with, but that interview not being on the Part 2 DVD was a bit disappointing. It's on the blu-ray, but I have no interest in getting the blu-rays as I don't have a player.

I'm really enjoyed the When Harry Lefy Hogwarts Documentary though, that was brilliant, had me almost in tears!

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old February 17th, 2012, 9:10 pm
First Year

I would have liked it if they had a 3D version of Deathly Hallows, you now like they had in the theatre.

Old February 18th, 2012, 1:54 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianul2000 View Post
I would have liked it if they had a 3D version of Deathly Hallows, you now like they had in the theatre.
They have got it available in 3D. I have seen them in the stores.In fact, I walked past the stand with them on just about an hour ago and thought to myself how much I hate 3D and how I would never watch DH in 3D.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies